Author Topic: Mercury vs Arrow  (Read 3604 times)

Offline Sukara (2 RPs)

• "Remember, whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
  • Hero
  • Marshland's Mommy Organizer
  • Liked: 127
  • Likes Given: 586
Mercury vs Arrow
« on: December 18, 2012, 04:36:55 PM »
This is a fight thread between Mercury of Nardir vs Arrow of Revelation over half the land (34 sq mi) currently claimed as Nardir.

This is a 1 on 1 fight. Each side may bring one supporter and witness to the fight.  This Supporter/Witness are only to watch and are not allowed to enter the fight at any time.

The marshland fight rules apply.  Please make sure you have read over all rules regarding posting requirements on length, spelling and grammar.  Please write your fight posts out as detailed and clear as possible.  At anytime an organizer may lock the thread if a complaint is made that requires the thread to be reread.  Unless an action by a fighter is deemed quite serious, each SIDE/TEAM may be asked to make corrections to posts involving vague/hard to understand statements within the post, autos etc.  These are individually determined by one or more organizers.

Each individual has the right to edit their fight post any time within FIVE HOURS from the time they posted it.  Any editing of a post after five hours without the okay of an organizer is automatic loss.

A fight thread automatically ends when one character dies, when a thread has been up and active up to six weeks, OR when one fighter on either side fails to post within exactly 10 days of the last RP post.

This fight is CONSENT, meaning individuals may not maim and/or kill without permission, may the best fighter(s) win!

For organization purposes, this fight's six week limit ends on January 29th.

Offline ~Mercury~

• .: Action is the real measure of intelligence :.
  • Regular
  • Brave Alphess of Nardir
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: Mercury vs Arrow
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 04:53:35 PM »
She could honestly say she wanted no part of this fight.  As Mercury stood in the designated arena, she was filled with the inner struggle this fight wrought.  She liked Arrow, and more than that she considered him to be an Oracle.  Was she doing the right thing by challenging his visions?  Yes, she thought, she HAD to be.  He said his vision had wanted him to teach the Path, not rule.  She had given a way to fulfill that peacefully, but whatever he had seen had frightened him badly enough to insist on continuing.  She wished with all her heart it didn't have to be this way, but he had been so determined to fight, she had no choice but to agree.

So she stood, waiting in the morning light in the grassy clearing.  The light dappled through the surrounding trees, stripped into beams by the silhouettes of the branches.  A bird chirped nearby, it's song echoing in the quiet space.  Mercury's ears swiveled back and forth, listening to her surroundings for any sign of Arrow's approach.  She didn't consider him to be the dishonorable type, and was fairly certain he would approach to give his last regards before they began.  Still, she couldn't count on that, so she kept scanning the entire area, not exactly pacing, but meandering from spot to spot in the mid-morning sun.  The birdsong stopped, and she lifted her head, scenting for Arrow's approach.
~*~Mercury~*~

~Played by Scythetrill~

Offline Arrow.

• god of sight.
  • Initiate
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 10:49:30 PM »
Two words repeated itself inside the wolf's brain: don't lose.

Of course, Arrow had wanted to avoid this thing entirely just like Mercury had. Ultimately the request was a somewhat selfish one, however, but no one had ever expected a Seer to be perfect all the time. An anxious sigh resisted to take again as he continued on, footsteps gliding gentle and relatively silent among the saturated marshland floor. He hoped that their inevitable scuffle wouldn't result in much damage as there was already enough red on his pelt to distract others from his phantom gaze... He didn't need a series of scars smeared across his body or something just to prove a point. Arrow was not a conqueror, a general, or even a soldier. He just wanted to teach what he knew, and for others to know as well.

The boy stopped as he saw the Queen move in the clearing, body instinctively having dropped low to the ground. His parents had taught him to always approach prey down wind and so Arrow did, the mantra of a forgotten voice taking place of previous repetition. Ears forward, back straight, nose and eyes alert. By the time he leapt at Mercury it was to the left of her hindquarters, mouth open to aim not at her heels but base of her tail instead. If successful, he'd use the moment of surprise and slight weight advantage (plus mouthful of tail) to bowl her entire body over onto her back.

Failing that - the younger, lithe and spry creature wouldn't attempt a second attack and would simply bound away to the other side of the small clearing to regroup.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 10:50:22 PM by Arrow. »

Offline ~Mercury~

• Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 12:02:47 AM »
She had just began to pace again when he burst from the trees to attack her flank. Caught off guard by his lack of courtesy, she wasn't prepared to completely dodge his attack.  She moved just enough that he grabbed the lower half of her upturned tail instead of the base, wrenching it sideways in a painful twist. She yelped as the small, slender bones were tweaked out of alignment with the sudden movement. While he still had hold of her tail she swung around, not going for his head and neck, but the now exposed back limbs. If she could get a hold of his haunch or leg, she'd be able to pull the limb out from underneath him.  Her goal was to disrupt his balance and stance.  She was already heavier than he was, so she had the weight advantage.  Growling, she snapped at the limb, if not to grab him then to, at the very least, make him let go of her.

Perhaps it was their equal reluctance to fight one another that made her not attempt another attack.  If he released her tail and retreated she would stare at him, awaiting his next move before determining her own.  If he failed to release her tail, he would have to dodge quickly to get out of range of her bite.  It was going to be a long fight, and more than that, it was going to be awkward with each blow that was struck.  Already Mercury felt her affection for Arrow bruised by his lack of manners.  Opponents should declare themselves before doing battle.  It was the honorable thing to do.  But it wasn't something she was going to scold him on now, not when she had more important things to worry about.  Her tail throbbed, and she suspected it would be more than a little bruised by the end of this fight.  Sitting was going to be unpleasant for a time...
~*~Mercury~*~

~Played by Scythetrill~

Offline Arrow.

• god of sight.
  • Initiate
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 12:51:44 AM »
He hadn't expected the yelp.

Thinking suddenly that he had already seriously hurt her as their bodies nearly connected in passing, Arrow had only begun to touch Nardir's Queen before his jaws released and he'd run awkwardly away in the direction he was headed if the attack hadn't touched at all. The movement alone was hardly a graceful one but it did allow for him to dodge her bite on his haunch at least, albeit unintentionally. When he came to turn around and face her his ears were pinned back onto his head and mouth half-open. He suddenly hoped that he didn't have any black fur stuck in his teeth which would probably just add insult to injury...

"I... I'm sorry!" He blurted out loudly to bridge the gap between them, the volume alone surprising for such a relatively quiet beast. This wasn't a good start, was it? The lone gunslinger meandering into town and challenging the sheriff on his own turf only to run away and start looking like a coward. Maybe that's what he really was: a coward. And while he might have been lucky enough to land a hit, it was a hit in a disgusting amount of vain to the likes that anyone would've been ashamed of. Just to think that he'd believed he was doing something right for a change.

"You aren't, um, hurt. Are you?"

Offline vana.

• Leader
  • Hero
  • XVII.
  • Liked: 7578
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 02:39:01 AM »
( also I'm dumb and can't write. Meant to say "as if the attack hadn't touched at all". Pfffft. Not editing either because I don't know if its passed the time and its so minor but makes things confusing otherwise. Sorryyyyy. )

Offline ~Mercury~

• Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 03:07:09 AM »
((I totally picture Merc making This Face))

With the pressure on her tail gone, Mercury felt a surge of relief, but had already committed to her attack. Her teeth snapped onto only air, and Arrow was already retreating.  Mercury was about to peruse him when his posture changed and he yelled out to her.
She took two steps forward and then paused, one foot up in the air as she halted mid-stride to stare at him.

"I... I'm sorry!"

Her jaw went slightly slack, one eyebrow raised in a dumbfounded expression.  He was sorry?  They were FIGHTING.  What did he expect to happen when he bit her tail.   She cocked her head to look at him, trying to figure out what his game was.

"You aren't, um, hurt. Are you?"

"Wha- No.  Well yeah, it smart's a bit, but not... horribly..."

She stammered, completely thrown off balance.  She recovered from staring at him like he'd just grown another head, regaining her regal posture, but in no way trying to cross the distance between them. Instead she gave him the space, locked eyes with him and said in the calmest voice she could manage:

"Arrow.  My offer still stands.  You don't have to do this."
~*~Mercury~*~

~Played by Scythetrill~

Offline Arrow.

• god of sight.
  • Initiate
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 01:13:56 AM »
Of course Arrow didn't have to do this. He didn't have to do anything, really. If things had been meant to be as easy as getting there all along, however, the youth would've proudly taken her offer the moment she'd given it. Saying things like how that wasn't meant to be or how his unwarranted occupation in Nardir would bring destruction was too predictable, so she'd probably just take his words as an excuse. Provided she looked at him as an Oracle though, maybe not.

He didn't respond long enough after that for the awkward silence to wade in through the cracks of their absent movement - neither fighting or talking, as it were. There was no point in moving either because there were no attacks to dodge or counter, nor would there be if something didn't drastically change.

"I have to. If I don't..." He paused.  "I don't want you to get hurt, Mercury." I don't want to get hurt, either.

Maybe he might as well have grown two heads then, too. He'd seen her confused expression and felt guilty for that as well, as if this whole thing could've been avoided in the first place. Right now it probably just looked like he was making a fool of himself.

Arrow took a step forward and lowered his head by a few degrees, bashful. "Maybe we can... Be allies. I can, um. Share prey. And I can tell you what I see if I see anything important. In exchange for your land."

Ears perked forward again, having thought of something else. "And if I fail, I'll come and give the land back. We don't have to fight or anything."

Offline ~Mercury~

• Regular
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 02:36:35 AM »
"I have to. If I don't... I don't want you to get hurt, Mercury."

"Fights hurt, Arrow."

She said, keeping her voice calm.  She understood the turmoil he was feeling, but couldn't afford to let him get to her.  She needed to win, needed to make sure her pack had a home and enough land to sustain their growing numbers. As he stepped towards her she instinctively laid her ears back, not yielding any ground this time to avoid giving him any signs of submission.  The scars she had were visible, still exposed by the lack of fur around them.  She knew that conflict was painful, but his refusing to yield left her little alternative.

"Maybe we can... Be allies. I can, um. Share prey. And I can tell you what I see if I see anything important. In exchange for your land."

"So basically what you're saying is... Nardir would have free use of the territory?"

Mercury, frankly, didn't understand what he was getting at.  Wasn't what he just said exactly what she had proposed before?  This entire thing was just so confusing.  She sighed.  Why was life so annoyingly complicated? She fought to give her family a new home.  To amend for the mistakes she made that had cost them everything.  She didn't doubt that he had a good path, but who was he fighting for?  She hesitated, warring with wanting to end things peacefully and doing what was best for her pack.

"And if I fail, I'll come and give the land back. We don't have to fight or anything."

"No, Arrow.  I can't give up the land my pack needs to survive.  Not without giving my best to defend it.  There are wolves counting on me, pups to be fed.  As much as I believe in your sight, I can't let them down.  Not again...  Are you sure I can't persuade you to be our Oracle?  You can help so many..."
~*~Mercury~*~

~Played by Scythetrill~

Offline Arrow.

• god of sight.
  • Initiate
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 12:19:54 PM »
( Oh god, sorry this took me so long. )

---

Mercury's words stung, but only because the beautiful lie he had hoped to establish had been corrupted unto the painful truth at last. His ears swiveled back and he paused, shuffled his feet and looked more uncertain than he had as of late. She seemed to have misunderstood him though, his foreboding words off-set by the fight itself. Except he wasn't talking about their confrontation there but the future consequences should he stay and, had his prophecy blossom to the full extent of its implied severity, there'd be more to lose than simply Revelation's partial claim on the Queen's territory.

Temporary pain, he thought, was better than death.

His bottom lip quivered and he stepped forward, however tentative a step it was. "I'm sorry," he sighed. "You just don't understand."

If she truly respected his sight or if he was in a better mind to explain, maybe they could have come to a means of truce between them. But Arrow was still young and very much afraid of what he knew and the sacrifices it would take to get there. He hoped this wouldn't have meant that the Queen would look at him as not wanting to help - he did, more than anything, wanted to help. Just not here. Not as Oracle, but Seer.

He ran at her, long legs galloped across the moist ground of the clearing. A lighter, leggier body quickly bridged the gap, baring fangs just as his momentum turned towards the obsidian ruler. Arrow didn't slow down though, attempting to bowl into her front first. While lacking in terms of deliberate calculation, this charge favored her right side nonetheless. Provided that was unsuccessful though, and there was a high chance that it would be, he'd turn sharply to aim his fangs at the side of her throat. More to restrain than tear, as he hoped to get an anchor by means to drag her to the ground.

Offline ~Mercury~

• Regular
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 03:44:20 AM »
"I'm sorry, You just don't understand."

"I'm afraid I don't..."

His charge was straight forward, if abit lop-sided.  She side-stepped, letting his charge swing by her without so much as a graze.  She ducked as he aimed at her throat, dropping down so that his head and neck passed over hers with his momentum.  She felt his breath, hot on her neck, and it sent a tingle down her spine that resulted in a shiver.  It wasn't fear, but the prick of oncoming adrenaline that came with battle.  She growled, a deep rumble in her chest that rose up in her throat like rolling thunder.  In the instant that she dropped to duck she lunged forward, aiming to slam her shoulder and body weight squarely into his chest.  While there wasn't much momentum behind her move, she was bigger and heavier than he was.  She hoped it would be enough to at least knock the wind out of him.

As she rushed in she lowered her head, leading with her shoulder to hit him.  Dropping down by his foreleg, she aimed to bite the area just above the "wrist".  Her bite could be enough to crush bones, but Mercury sincerely hoped it wouldn't come to that.  She sensed that Arrow was hesitating about something, and although she didn't know what, she was using that hesitation.  If she managed to grab a hold of his leg, her goal was to make the young Seer reconsider her offer.  If her bite was successful she would backpedal, pulling his leg taunt to throw him off balance. Controlling a limb could turn the tides in her favor.  Of course, knocking the wind out of him could work for her too.  She wanted to make him submit, but she was equally unhappy with hurting him.
~*~Mercury~*~

~Played by Scythetrill~

Offline Arrow.

• god of sight.
  • Initiate
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2012, 09:55:10 PM »
Provided he'd survived long enough to see the end of the battle, Arrow might have told the young Queen of his vision in more detail. The bird, the eye, the shadow. Words were so often out of his reach, though, so the Seer wouldn't have known what to do with them even if he'd been given the capacity to speak before. For now, his focus relied entirely on that of a deeply instinctual reverie. The dance had been unknown to him otherwise, but now it had no reason to be dormant.

His attacks missed - but for some reason or another, Arrow had come to expect as much. The hesitation she thought of though was simply from his earlier, failed proposition, where negotiations had failed and he was forced to make the first move once again. Teeth closed only on open air and a moment of vertigo surged through his brain as her body kept him moving completely forward. Somewhere, a shoulder landed square into his chest and he gasped as a result from the blow, eyes bulged and mouth opened as a temporary, seconds-long struggle occurred to complete an interrupted cycle of oxygen.

Not all was lost, however. During the upward thrust of her body, Arrow's limbs had scrambled far enough to avoid the bone-shattering grip of Mercury's own jaws. Back legs corresponded by what was eventually a rather messy, but otherwise successful jump (hop?) right on over the slightly larger female. With all four legs on the ground, Arrow was able to turn and aim for her own forelimb opposite to where she'd aimed for his own. He didn't know any better, so he'd figured that using her own attack against her was still appropriate etiquette for these things. If successful, he wouldn't have used as much force as what had been behind her own intent, but enough to secure an uncomfortable hold. Using that momentum, he'd try to throw the limb out from under her, increasing his hold and dragging her forward if need be.

Offline ~Mercury~

• Regular
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2013, 06:27:01 PM »
As she whirled to counter his jump she felt teeth scrape her leg with enough force to leave a few gashes.  It was only her movement to go after him again that kept him from being able to take a hold of her leg.  She grit her teeth against the pain, but refused to let it stop her.  Compared to the wounds that had created the scars on her back and chest, his teeth scrapes were shallow and superficial wounds.  Yes, they hurt, but anytime flesh gave way under pressure it was painful.  She lived with it. She swung her head around, going for his neck.  The pain angered her, and she wanted this to stop.  A hold up by his head would ensure a decent enough grip so she could try to shove his nose into the dirt.  If she could do that, maybe he'd concede.  She hoped he would... she really did.  She didn't want to have to injure him.

If she couldn't grab his neck she'd go for the closest ear, doing whatever she could to get a grip on him.  Ears were tricky, but his aversion to pain may be enough.  If she could grab it and bite down with enough force to cause pain, she may be able to leave him with nothing but a bit of sore skin.  If she grabbed too hard or he jerked away, she could end up tearing the thin flesh, which could result in permanent scarring.  That wan't her intention.  She didn't WANT to scar him, but if that was the way the tides of battle went, so be it. She was doing her best to win without causing damage, but if damage was the only way to win, she would have to do it.  She had to win.  For her pack, she had to win.

Assuming she couldn't get a hold of either his neck or his ear, she would swing her haunches into his ribs, using her heavier bulk to batter the smaller male's body and cause him to have another hitch in his breath.  If she could keep knocking the wind out of him, he'd soon be unable to fight as his mind and body lost control.  If his brain didn't get enough oxygen, he wouldn't be able to think, wouldn't be able to react.  And then all it would take is one good hit to bring him down.  So she used everything she had as a weapon, doing her best to inflict non-permanent damage that would still force him down.

Please, Arrow... Just give up. she thought. I don't want to have to do this...
~*~Mercury~*~

~Played by Scythetrill~

Offline Arrow.

• god of sight.
  • Initiate
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 02:27:27 AM »
(I'm assuming since Arrow's head was lower since he had to aim for her leg that she's attacking the top part (or side) of his neck? If I'm totally reading this wrong then point out where I'm missing something and I will edit ASAP.

Also I made a really crapty diagram but have no idea if it'll help, sry.)

---

But he didn't give up. In fact, the longer the fight waged on the more intense and focused Arrow had become. Definitely not experienced by any means - hard lessons were hard fought, after all. But the wolf definitely was healthy and spry and smart, too, all of which had helped him... Just not to their full potential yet.

Her movements read to him in a series of black blurs spanned over a muddy-green canvas, no more or less quick than she had been several moments before. Arrow wasn't sure that  his attack had landed even though it had mostly failed anyway, as his jaws hadn't wrapped around a limb but mostly around air again. A real shame, really, because he'd tried to be more confident in his attack delivery that time. The taste of blood, had there been any, was so slight that the youth would scarcely know that he'd hurt her at all. She hadn't yelped this time.

The moment her head  got anywhere close to his exposed neck was the moment the white blur dropped closer to the ground, belly skirted the marsh floor and he sidestepped, successfully avoiding both the hit from her powerful haunches and bite. With his head aimed up, this would have put him in a position to go for her exposed throat, an attack in which he attempted in a less than second-long haste. To hook onto the bottom of her throat was to control where here head went in succession provided he got a good enough hold there, and avoid any further confrontation with her arguably more experienced teeth.

His intent, unlike hers, was to disarm rather than injure. While Mercury might have weighed more, the difference was only twenty pounds. With enough force, Arrow could use his somewhat crouched position to push up and pull and wrestle with a thrashing face. Should she have avoided this altogether though, the Seer would give up his chance at a second (and riskier) attack and, instead, would've backed up to re-assess the close encounter.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 02:27:55 AM by Arrow. »

Offline Sukara (2 RPs)

• "Remember, whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
  • Hero
  • Marshland's Mommy Organizer
  • Liked: 127
  • Likes Given: 586
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2013, 06:48:03 PM »
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Condensing OOC