Author Topic: All the kings horses and all the kings men.... (MossClaw)  (Read 122 times)

Offline Virginia

• Initiate
  • Will you love me?
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
All the kings horses and all the kings men.... (MossClaw)
« on: June 20, 2017, 06:30:45 PM »
The dainty young woman padded through the soft bed of pine needles that blanketed the forest floor, side by side with an older male wolf. Her frame was slender and her movements fluid as she eased her way between the massive redwood trees that made up the majority of this land. Obviously young and inexperienced but she carried herself with feigned confidence, but only because her beloved was with her. Gracefully she navigated their new surroundings and giggled when a tiny chipmunk froze mid-climb to look at the intruder, it chittered a warning before scampering up the tree and out of sight.

Her beloved was much older than she was but age didn't matter to her, all she knew was that she loved him. He was her knight in shining armor, her hero, her everything. He'd come to her homeland and shown her such kindness, she instantly fell for him, like love at first sight. He rescued her from the uncaring pack that 'raised' her when her parents abandoned her as a weanling. Rescued her from the indifference and the hopelessness that filled her days.

She followed him closely as they made their way through the wooded area, not willing to venture further than a few inches from his side, though preferring to maintain contact with some part of his body. Often her hip or shoulder brushing against his soft blue pelt that was marred with old scars. Taking comfort from his closeness she hummed happily as they traveled. It wasn't that they had a predetermined destination, he was a traveler and she would follow him anywhere, yet something inside her was calling out. After weeks of wandering, enjoying their personal bubble of exploration, she was beginning to feel the need to settle down somewhere long term. It was an odd sensation, one that filled her with a sense of urgency as the days bled into weeks and weeks into a month. She wasn't quite at the tipping point yet, though it wasn't far off, unbeknownst to her.

She slowed her pace slightly, her muzzle reaching out to touch her beloved's shoulder, asking him to slow his pace to match hers before stopping altogether. She breathed in the crisp woodland air, letting it out slowly as she looked to her beloved, eyes full of love, desire, and hope; she adored him, plain and simple. The young woman smiled at the blue man before her and spoke softly, Darling,
 perhaps it's time to start looking for somewhere to rest for the evening?
her eyes shimmered as she waited for his response.

Vi played by Anky

Offline Nicki

• Master
    • My status
  • Liked: 154
  • Likes Given: 112
Re: All the kings horses and all the kings men.... (MossClaw)
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 10:54:16 AM »

Legs that once rippled with lean, taut muscle had deteriorated in the blue male's age. He could feel the difference, carrying himself for long distances. He no longer had the same endurance and strength he'd had in his prime. The female who strolled beside him, however, had not even reached her prime yet. He knew it was strange for him to carry on with such a youngling, but she was unlike anyone he'd met. Did he love her? Who knows. He had no clue what love was like; the only one he'd ever loved had been Hunter, the little pup he'd adopted. Hunter was long gone, now though. The pup wanted to leave the place they lived together, and Moss had been too much of a coward to follow.

He did, however, know that Violet was important to him. He'd seen the way her pack had treated her; no one deserved that. The behavior had flashed him back to his own puppyhood, the way his family had treated him. It made him sick with desperation to save her from the abuse. She'd become immediately attached to him, loved him with her whole heart. She was attuned to him in a way he'd never imagined possible.

Her muzzle brushed against him and he twisted his head to look at her through his good eye. There, in her gloriously blue eyes, he could see how much she needed him. His expression softened for her. Ah, she'd definitely wormed her way into his heart. His mouth loosened to a soft smile just for her. "Darling, perhaps it's time to start looking for somewhere to rest for the evening?" As her soft voice made the suggestion, he began to feel his old bones growing weary.

"Yes my sweet, I think that sounds like a fine idea. There is bound to be a cozy spot nearby. Let's check among the roots, these huge trees often cover wonderful dens built by their roots." Tired paws carried him to the nearest tree, where he began to sniff and poke between roots he deemed safe enough. "Be careful, though, some of the smaller openings are homes to snakes and rodents who might not be happy about your lovely paws poking about their homes."

Character Bin
If I owe you an RP, feel free to shoot me a message to remind me!!

Offline Virginia

• Initiate
  • Will you love me?
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 03:25:46 PM »
Gently she nodded at his advice, turning to look for an opening that might be good, there were a few but nothing that suited her in the immediate area. She sighed as she rounded yet another tree, rooting around at the base, I'm not seeing anything here darling. The faint sound of running water caught her attention and reminded her that she was parched. Maybe there's something by the creek ahead? She offered before gracefully padding in the direction of the water. As she did she noticed the soft needled ground became solid rock and took the place of the gentle earth. Abruptly the rock gave way to a small ravine, she looked down into it, trees lined the opening save for a small gradual slope on one side that harbored a tiny stream, the only way in or out. The walls of the ravine consisted of large rocks and moss, littered with tiny openings but most appeared to be quite shallow. The wall on wish she stood, a cascade of water spurted from between the rocks about halfway down, landing in a clear pool lined with pebbles. The pool was almost perfectly round save for where it broke away and gave birth to a stream. Everything below her was so quiet and perfect that it made Vi gasp as she called to her beloved. Darling! Come, look at this! She eased her way along the wall of the ravine until she met with a nice even slope that gave way to the streambed that lead away from her new discovery. She opted to walk within the meandering stream, letting its cool waters soothe away the weary feeling within her paws. As she entered the teardrop shaped scar in the earth she couldn't help but gasp again and smile proudly. This spot was perfect as if she had custom ordered it herself, just beside the cascading spring of fresh water a large boulder protruded and created an alcove, the walls, and floor made of rock and above hung a thick layer of dirt and roots.

Too excited to wait she crept closer to the opening and grinned wildly as it extended further into the earth, so far in fact that she couldn't see the back wall, only a long sloping tunnel that disappeared into the darkness. She turned to her beloved and gave a pleading look, she dare not go in, scared of what might be lurking within. But should it prove to be empty, it would be the ideal spot for them to stop and rest for a few days. The voice within her cried out joyfully, this is it, this is where you need to be. Dear? She asked, implied that she wanted her big brave hero to investigate.

Vi played by Anky

Offline Nicki

• Master
    • My status
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 02:21:13 PM »
Moss poked around at a couple trees but was generally coming to the same conclusion as Vi. These trees had complex root systems, didn't seem to open up underneath in quite the right way. I'm not seeing anything here darling. He shook his head, a man of few words. Maybe there's something by the creek ahead? He nodded absently, concentrating on his search. He moved a little further, looking for somewhere they could tuck themselves even just for the night. It didn't have to be much, maybe a hollowed out part of a tree. He glanced up and realized he could no longer see the pale form of his young bride. He opened his mouth to call for her when her voice carried to him.

Darling! Come, look at this!

He followed her voice, hearing the same sound of water moving nearby. He gave a small gasp as it opened up in front of him. He stood above the gap, looking down at the proudly beaming face of his beautiful young mate. Dear? She indicated an opening below him and he picked his way down to her side. He smiled gently at her. "Wait here, my dear." He ducked his head and eased his way down the tunnel. It was dark, and his body blocked the light from behind him so he had to feel out every step before shifting his weight. The tunnel led deeper into the ground, a slow descent into darkness. Maybe they could find some way to light the tunnel; he worried about her delicate paws tripping, about his precious Vi getting hurt.

And then the space opened up, enough for him to stretch and move. Maybe two lengths of his body wide, a few inches taller than his height. A couple of roots had poked their way through the rock above, conveniently placed cracks that let in just a little bit of light without compromising the integrity of the ceiling. They weren't wide enough that someone above could see in, either. One corner remained dark, steeped in shadow. He moved toward it and the ceiling moved...

Three bats screeched and lifted into the air, heading for the tunnel. He grinned and snapped his jaws at the slowest, catching its wing between his teeth. With a couple quick motions, he brought it down and got its body between his jaws. With a shake of his head, he felt it snap. Dinner for his sweetheart. The other two escaped ahead, shrieking their way out of the tunnel. He followed after placing his offering in one of the slivers of light so his mate would see it when she stepped out of the tunnel.

As he reached the end of the tunnel, he called to her. "Come, darling, follow me, carefully." He would lead her, backing his way down the tunnel so he could face her in the darkness, in case she needed his help.

Character Bin

Offline Nicki

• Master
    • My status
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 04:18:32 PM »
[[switched to short form]]

Virginia
Vi waited for her love to return from the depths of the tunnel, she stumbled back as bats flew from the entrance and up into the sky above, screeching as they went. The girl's heart pounded in her head from the sudden shock, righting herself and then taking a cautious step forward. 'Darling?' She squeaked out as she heard the scuffling of something coming from the tunnel, unsure if it was MC or a new horror. As he spoke out to her she released a breath she hadn't known she was holding and her long flowing tail offered a slow wag in relief. 'I'm coming' Picking her way to the entrance and into the narrow corridor, grateful that she could see his face as they decended.
As the corridor widened, Vi could see that it opened up into a lovely den, dimly lit by, what she assumed was sunlight peeking through cracks in the ceiling. She offered her mate a gentle lick on his scarred muzzle, 'Oh this is lovely!' She looked around, the floor of the den was littered with soft earth and a scattering of pine needles. It's walls and ceiling were a mixture of solid stone and hard packed earth, while the ceiling had the addition of gnarled roots that hung down in random places. This was the perfect place to settle down, her instincts screamed with relief, Vi herself completely oblivious to the charges that her body was currently nuturing.

MossClaw
Moss gave her a pleased smile as he watched her face light up. It was perfect for them. His nose gave a gentle twitch as her warm tongue brushed his muzzle and he bumped against her cheek lightly. He was proud of her for finding such a perfect spot, and for some reason, he felt proud of himself as well. The reason was completely beyond him. Consciously, he had no way of knowing the beautiful female who bestowed her affections on him was carrying their future, precious unborn puppies to carry on his line. He would never know, not in this life. And yet the pride grew as he took in the sight of his mate in the dim light of their home.
He turned and gestured toward the bat he'd laid on the ground for her. "A snack, my dear?"

Virginia
Vi gladly at the snack and then retreated to the shadowed corner to lay down. 'Thank you darling.' She said, yawning. She rested her head on her paws and sighed happily. 'Lay with me?' Vi asked quietly, needing his body next to hers for comfort and reassurance. 'I think it might be time for a nap.' Her words were interrupted by another yawn as her eyelids began to get heavy. The days had been more exhausting for her recently and she found herself drifting off to sleep curled beside her beloved.

MossClaw
The old blue wolf moved to the corner and slid behind her, using the wall behind him to lean his back against. He wrapped his head in front of her, offering her his neck to use as a pillow. Though he was unsure what the extent of his feelings for her were, he did know that the feeling of her body breathing steadily in sleep against him gave him a certain measure of comfort and happiness that he had not even known to exist. Happiness was not a staple of his life; in fact, it had been suspiciously absent. Sure, he'd experience pleasant emotions, he'd never really found anything or anyone to make him truly happy. But she did. He didn't even notice when his own eyelids slid closed and he drifted off.

Virginia
As sleep drifted away, Vi's eyes fluttered for a moment, fear sinking in as her surroundings were still new and the fog of rest still clouded her mind. Leaning in closer to her mate, taking comfort in his presence and allowed herself to relax.

Vi looked around the dimly lit den and her nesting instincts began to kick in and there were some things she wanted to do to make the den more homely. Offering her beloved a soft nudge she got up from their resting place and started to clear away a few of the rocks that were scattered here and there, stacking them into a pile by the exit. She decided this was going to be home for a while, she needed a break from all the traveling and this seemed like a better spot than any to stay.

MossClaw
Something woke Moss. It took a moment for his surroundings to become clear to his single good eye as he groaned and stretched, hearing his bones creak and pop. Vi he thought and jumped up. Ah, there she was, gathering the debris from the floor. He gave a soft smile and nudged a rock toward her pile before bumping his head against her gently. "I'm going to gather some leaves and vines to soften the ground. I saw some nice vines hanging just beyond the entry. Would you like to join me?"

Virginia
Vi nuzzled into him and smiled. She thought for a moment about his offer but shook her head, 'I think I'll stay here and clear things up a bit more." She looked around the dim den, and added, "Suppose you could get some squirrels or maybe a rabbit or two, for pelts? I'd like to stay here for a while if that's ok." Offering him a gentle smile, not knowing that what she was asking was ultimately going to lead to his death or her eventual introduction to being a single parent. All she knew at that moment was that she needed to stay put, her days of traveling were behind her, this would be her home for the next few months. Little did she know those months would be spent alone, not knowing what happened to her beloved, believing that he abandoned her.

MossClaw
He smiled and let his tail brush against her chin in an affectionate touch on his way out. He had no way of knowing this would set into motion a terrible set of events that would prevent him from returning to her. He would never know that his singular dream of being a father would become a reality if he simply waited until after the storm. But as he emerged outside, what could be seen of the sky above was blue and beautiful. There was no warning sign of the storm to come. And so he departed.
After some searching and wandering, a few skillful kills, he lifted the bundle of rabbit and three squirrels  and turned for home. Wow, he had no idea how far he'd gone. A splash of water dripped on his nose. He glanced up and picked up the pace as the clouds opened and sheets of rain pelted toward the earth.  Find shelter. Wait it out. He tucked his kills into a hole in the tree, carefully scratching some markings so he could find it again. Even if he wasn't dry, at least they would be when he retrieved them.
He began to poke around, hardly able to see ahead of him. He was completely soaked through and shivering when he heard the voice that would change their lives.
"Y'know... It's much less wet on this side of the bark..."

CLOSED

Character Bin