Author Topic: Little Lightfoot [Acceptance]  (Read 204 times)

Offline Dusty Forgotten

• Dustbin
  • Regular
  • Liked: 55
  • Likes Given: 1964
Little Lightfoot [Acceptance]
« on: June 19, 2017, 12:33:36 AM »
Glass cracks under a small paw, and Dunixi jumps back from the noise. Her landing in the sand inches away doesn't make a sound. She glances about to ensure she's the only one this has startled, and inspects her paw pad. Finding no blood, blessedly, she wipes it in the sand, and creeps closer, observing the oddity. It glistens in the moonlight, now that she shifts her sight-line. Tentatively, Dunixi sniffs the shards, and sneezes promptly.

This is an interesting place, she decides, standing to her full, unimpressive height. The glass was a new discovery; she would explore here further, see what other oddities lay beyond the treeline. The little wolf scented the air, sneezing again. She thought it smelled like someone was approaching, and turned her snout toward the ground, squeezing her eyes shut and trying to force any lingering glass from her sinuses.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 12:48:01 AM by Dusty Forgotten »

Offline Iaera [rp]

• [the nymph]
  • Gemini
  • Apprentice
  • Liked: 21
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Little Lightfoot [Acceptance]
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 04:45:33 PM »
[i a e r a]
ooc; another ranger is totally welcomed and encouraged to join Iaera as she pretends she knows what she's doing.
-------------------------

Moonlight danced through the long whip-like branches of the weeping willow that sheltered her den. It twinkled in across the dusty dirt floor, catching across rocks and the stems of flowers she'd picked and dried out. Her home still wasn't well decorated, but she wasn't overly concerned with it at the moment. She still had plans with Skylar to pick more flowers to grow outside and she'd hold true to her word, holding off until he could help her. In the mean time she simply collected things as she saw them, bringing them back to pile up until she made time to do something more. Especially given how little she actually used her den, given that she had such issues with sleep. It was admittedly nice though, her place for solitude and safety, tucked away from the center of the packlands, in the same grove as the ancient willow.

But tonight she felt restless, more so than regularly, the night always made her uneasy. Shadows turned into monsters that came down after her like a plague. And yet, she often felt more comfortable at night, in the dark, hidden away from the others to stalk in the low brush and watch for monsters. Now was no different, and her small frame pushed past the willow's branches, violet eyes in search of something to do. Eventually she decided to wander about, patrol as it were. Iaera knew she would eventually have to get used to Gemini, to find comfort in it's shadows, safety even on it's borders. Just not all at once, flooding was never good for a phobic psyche. She'd build up to, she convinced herself, and she'd do it alone; thinking it was important. So the gray and tan wolfdog would venture towards the border, the same section she had met Aela at, a section she was at least slightly familiar with. Everything looked different at night, but at least the moon was bright and alive after it's unfortunate prior eclipse that had frightened the woman to no end.

Though Iaera would not be as lucky in her hope of solitude as she had intended. She moved from the grassy edge far East where she had encountered Aela and traveled West, following the sand, dirt and small shrub grass for a long time before eventually coming close to the mountain peaks rising high above. It was there she realized she was not alone in Gemini, on these borders... The scent hit her nose before the sight touched her eyes, the smell of stranger, someone without the familial pack smell. The small wolfdog's hackles rose slightly, freezing in place for a moment. But this was her job wasn't it? Check the borders, talk to strangers? She was sure it would help with her confidence, it just wasn't helping right in this moment. Part of her wished to run, but the fact that the foreign scent appeared to be in Gemini's territory already, even if it was the lowlands was a red flag for her to inspect. She couldn't just leave it, what if it was a threat?

WHAT IF IT WAS A THREAT?

Iaera woofed out a bit, eyes turned towards to the highlands of Gemini, hoping perhaps another would hear her. But she sucked in a deep breath and lifted her head and tail high, she could put on an act, she could act. As long as things were civil that was... Eventually the Ranger came up on the woman, thankfully for Iaera, also a shorty, only an inch taller than herself. Sniffing around, seemingly curious about some sort of crunched up object that mattered little to Iaera. She'd clear her throat and then speak very loudly, much moreso than she normally did, hoping that if another patrol was out, they might hear her.

"You do realize you are trespassing here in my pack's land don't you?" A tone that wasn't callous by any means but lacked it's typical good nature. Iaera wanted to make sure she came off as an authority figure, she felt more comfortable that way, even though she wasn't tore up about the minor transgression. "My name is Iaera, is there anything I can assist you with? Or are you simply lost?" But she was not cold, Aela had offered her help on the border, Iaera would do the same with a much more feigned confidence.

#CEA980

.profile.
.played by eclipse.

Offline Dusty Forgotten

• Dustbin
  • Regular
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 07:31:41 PM »
Jumpy little thing; she always was. Dunixi leapt so far into the air with fright she may have unwittingly crossed the border a second time. The landing was far less graceful this attempt, and she actually landed on her side before quickly pressing her belly to the ground in self-defense, tail held high with alert, frozen in fear.

Trespassing.

Dionysus used to drag trespassers back to the den for them, tearing off limbs he hadn't already removed and splitting them between his three children. Dunixi was one of his, and she always let her brother have her share.

Was she a trespasser now?

She angled her ears back submissively, raising her rear end, forelegs still half-buried in sand. Almost a playful pose, to match Iaera's graciousness, perked ears at the sound of her name. "Iaera? I'm Dunixi." Rear went down, front up, coming into a sit. One step at a time. "I think there is something you could help me with. That is, if you don't mind."

If she hadn't been attacked by the border guard, this may just be the place she was looking for. It couldn't be anything like home, in the least. "What's your pack called?" There's almost a pause, almost the space for a conventional conversation to be had, but Dunixi has always thought far too quickly for the world around her. "Who is in charge? How long has it been here? Wh--"

She stops herself then, suddenly silent, eye contact broken like the glass. "... What are the others like?"

They couldn't all be this kind.

Offline Iaera [rp]

• [the nymph]
  • Gemini
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 01:48:41 AM »
[i a e r a]
ooc; n/a

The tiny woman jumped at the arrival of the Ranger, seemingly extremely startled; Iaera almost jumped in reply but managed to contain herself. Even though she felt bad for frightening the woman the way she had, she nearly laughed at the abrupt landing Dunixi had made. Iaera was a very clumsy creature herself, but she'd never landed quite that horribly. She swallowed hard and continued to keep her composure, head and tail high as the woman dragged herself into a play pose for a moment. The gray and tan woman was slightly confused at the movement but accepted the name none-the-less. Dunixi, it was a strange name, though Iaera figured her name probably seemed strange to others. As did the heavy Latin accent that still laced her words, "Dunixi," she repeated softly. Then the woman rose slightly, switching from the play pose to a more relaxed and mature position; sitting that is. The next statement was strange, and Iaera perked her eyebrow cautiously. False confidence only went so far, and Dunixi sounded so cryptic that her hackles were on end.

The Ranger shifted, trying to not look uneasy, "Oh yeah?" Playing along. Why was this woman wandering around at night, playing in the sand and asking weird questions. Was this a common thing with loners on the border? Was Iaera just the odd one out? That was a really possibility given her strange nature... The next question seemed a little more straightforward, more like something that would be asked. "Gemini," she answered calmly, purple eyes fixed on the strange woman. She was about to say something else when the woman started asking questions at a hundred miles an hour. Her head cocked to the side with a blank expression for a moment, easing back slightly from the woman. Those weren't normal questions were they? They made her feel uneasy, uncertain. These weren't questions that should be asked, and Iaera wasn't sure she felt that it was appropriate to answer them. The sudden stop didn't seem to affect Iaera, who was so caught up in her thought process that her emotions were firmly unsettled.

"That's a lot of questions... Tell me why you ask--?" She almost ended it in "first" but she didn't want to give the indication that she would ever answer them.

#CEA980

.profile.
.played by eclipse.

Offline Dusty Forgotten

• Dustbin
  • Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 12:12:16 PM »
"I..." Dunixi starts, swishing a paw in the sand, uncovering more glass. Maybe she should just run: she was good at that. Iaera was light enough, though, she just might be able to catch her.

She stands, but stays low, comes a little closer and quietly responds, "May I tell you a secret, Iaera?" If Dunixi's simple personality had put her on edge, this certainly would. It may have seemed threatening, stranger prepared to pounce, but her tone certainly wasn't. "I don't think I'm very good at this." She huffs a short, self-depreciating laugh. "I didn't mean to insult you, or your people. I just don't want to end up somewhere I won't fit in, you understand? Do you..." Again, a few steps closer, but standing straight, even though it shows her (however slight) height advantage, seems far less menacing. "Do you think your pack could use someone like me?"

Offline Iaera [rp]

• [the nymph]
  • Gemini
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 01:07:38 PM »
[i a e r a]
ooc; n/a

Iaera would certainly be light enough to catch her, she hadn't lived as long as she did by being a slowpoke. Not for nothing, Iaera was an excellent runner, and she too was thinking about running-- but that would be a disservice to her pack, and she'd started this so it need be finished. She watched the woman swish her paw around in the glass, wondering to herself how she had managed to not cut a pad yet, Iaera herself had stepped carefully in the glass fields. Cut paw pads were the absolute worst, and they hurt dreadfully to have to walk on. Apparently Dunixi was lucky, or had tough feet one or the other. The little Ranger-slash-Whisper looked down at the sparkling glass for a moment, but refrained from playing with it like the stranger. But her attention was brought back to Dunixi when she stood and edged closer cautiously. For a moment, Iaera pulled her ears back and watched her with hard eyes, one fang poked out as a warning to grant her space.

"Sure..." the tan and gray wolfdog answered, figuring it was better than "I bet your gonna anyway". The tone wasn't entirely threatening, but Iaera was an anxious woman who had had trust drawn out of her like Ariel's voice in The Little Mermaid. She trusted Aela, who had offered her kindness, Iridescent and Skylar to a degree, and everyone else was just a crapshoot until she was certain; but this stranger was not everyone else so she kept her guard up. When Dunixi said she wasn't very good at this with a sad laugh, Iaera mirrored the expression with a sympathetic smile, "If it makes you feel better, I'm not either," This whole being a Ranger thing, that was. Then the woman asked about fitting and Iaera was about to answer when the woman edged forward again and Iaera flashed a full set of fangs as a warning, she expected her space be respected. Not that she thought she was capable to back the bark up. The wolfdog considered edging back but she didn't want it to be taken as a sign of weakness so she planted herself firmly in it's place.

"I do understand," she started, evening the tone in her voice that was somewhat hard at first, biting back a little bit of anxiety. "this is Gemini," she'd answered one question, "from what I've seen so far, just about everyone fits in here. I do, and I'm not so hot at fitting in myself." A soft eyebrow would perk at the fellow shorty, Latin accent-- and accidental mispronunciations-- littered in her speech. "What sort of skills do you have Dunixi? Cause we have plenty of types of ranks and jobs," leaving it open now for the woman to reply.

#CEA980

.profile.
.played by eclipse.

Offline Dusty Forgotten

• Dustbin
  • Regular
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 06:26:05 PM »
Dunixi planted her rear the moment she saw teeth; missed it the first time, distractable as she was. If it wasn't the stars, it was the glass-- that probably needed to be removed from her haunches now, but she could handle that later. She had grown quite adept at enduring pain, at hiding it-- hiding just about everything. At least she couldn't see it.

Skills. Oh, she had skills, but nothing to tell someone you've only met. The Florida wolf looks back up to the stars and sighs. "I like to learn. I have interests in astronomy, history, politics. I can move quietly, very quickly, on terrains many can't traverse unharmed. If you require scouts, or ambassadors, even..." Spies.

She glances to Iaera, cautious to hold eye contact. "I may be of assistance."

Offline Iaera [rp]

• [the nymph]
  • Gemini
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2017, 10:27:33 PM »
I thought I had replied to that with ooc already, but apparently it never posted. i'm too busy with work to be concerned about another IC post, so Iaera basically says "yeah, sounds like you might make a good Whisper" tells her to look into that and lets her in.

ooc| I thought I would at least give some bullet points for you <3

-Iaera nods when Dunixi backs the up because Iaera was gonna do a heckin' snarl because Dunixi was invading her space way too close. Makes Iaera super duper anxious about how strangers behave on the border. Decides to take a short hiatus from the borders after this acceptance, to work on her courage.

-Notices she sits on some glass, Dunixi says nothing so Iaera does the same and just shakes it off and passes it over after deciding the other short lady has to be pretty damn tough.

-As Dunixi lists her skills Iaera nods a bunch of times and looks much thoughtful. Thinks Dunixi is a lot like her, and grins, a sincere grin before saying "Sounds like you would work well in either of the ranks I hold," pretends to be a badass for a moment. "I'm a Ranger, so I patrol the border, check on things and accept new people into the pack." Motions with her paw to Gemini, "I'm also a Whisper, it's a rank with a lot to it, I think you'd like it best," awkward smile at Dunixi because she feels like she's telling her what to do. "We are teachers, helping new members learn about Gemini, we are also Messenger and ambassadors, and all sorts of things. We pay attention to what happens in the pack to have knowledge of our history, which is recorded.."

-That's enough description for now, edges back away from Dunixi and as she stands to walk away says, "I'd look into joining the Whispers once you get settled in your new home." *winkwonk*

-exit stage left.
#CEA980

.profile.
.played by eclipse.