Author Topic: Unbelievable (Open, Acceptance)  (Read 161 times)

Offline Pawprint/Adolph

• Master
  • 10% Sweet Tea
    • DA Website
  • Liked: 38
  • Likes Given: 44
Unbelievable (Open, Acceptance)
« on: June 13, 2017, 08:13:12 PM »
(Grizzly bear alert! Rooter)

Panting hard, the grizzly bear paced along the ground, figuring out what to do about the hole that surrounded the forest he was trying to run to.  Where did it come from and how did it get here?  The forest at the edge of the wolf land was always volatile, but it was because of the occupants.  Peering down and then across, he knew going down or jumping was out of the question. 

*sskt!*

ROAR!

Rooter smacked the flaming arrow-like weapon off him as the humans set another cloth tipped one on fire.  They were ruthless.  Before they could shoot it, he ran again to find a way across the land.  There were fallen trees, but he was sure, even in his underfed state, that he was too heavy to run across them.  The chase went on for at least half of mid-morning.  When Rooter slowed down, the flaming arrow flew past him, stopping him in his tracks.  There was another set of fallen trees.  It looked thick enough.  It wasn't that long.  He hesitated.

The four humans caught up to him. Rooter ran onto the trees.  The trunks creaked under his weight, but he kept his tired pace.  The humans had no trouble running and surrounded him on the edges of the bridge.

A surprised Rooter stood, but a torch burned his already skin exposed back.  He fell, rocking the trees.  The humans dropped and held on in shock.  The bear's eyes widened.  In a desperate move, he stomped the trunks, shaking them.  The humans held on tighter.  Knowing it was his only chance, Rotter ran over the human in front of him and charged to the other side of the land.  Victory!

He turned around around.  The human he trampled stood up shakily.  His group passed him, one taking his torch.  They were exhausted, yet relentless.  Rooter gasped for air.  He was hungry.  Thirsty.  Stiff.  He made it.  He made it.  And now he was going to show them.

The grizzly stood on his legs, exposing his back.  The one who took the torch was behind him while the three tried distracting him.  He swiped his paws, missing them.  He roared aloud--then ducked fast.  The torch behind him met air.  The same tactic on the fallen trees failed.  As the man was shocked at the misfire, Rooter swung at him.

The man lost his balance.

He fell into the hole.

"Auuuuggghh--!"

*THUD*

Everyone hovered for a second.  Then one by one the people looked over the edge.  They looked at the bear.  Two looked at each other.  Then slowly, they all inched back on the bridge, leaving the scene.

Not good enough.  Rooter stomped his feet and jumped a false start to the entrance.  They ran away.

Rooter slumped to the dirt, groaning dramatically.  Victory.  He knew he was on the wolf land.  He can deal with them, he thought to himself.  As he began to roll in the cool dirt, he smelled smoke.  Opening his eyes suddenly, he saw the torch a foot from him, burning into his eyes memories of what the humans did to him since hibernation.  He had to kill it.  So with great difficulty, Rooter stood.  He smacked the torch on the safe side carefully toward the edge of the hole.  He looked over once at the human on his back several feet down.  He hummed.  There was no water.  He couldn't kill the torch.

"Unbelievable."

Characters

Adolph: Nardir Retiree
Navand: Maroon Cheetah
Buckshot: Nardir Groundskeeper
Moonachie: Cave Bear Lady (Inaria Hoverer)

New Profiles Needed
"You" ...she has no name
Moonachie: Cave Bear
Pawprint: Dog (Pupsaver)
Swifter: Adolph's bird

Offline Orcrist

• Alteron
  • Apprentice
  • Liked: 9
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Unbelievable (Open, Acceptance)
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 11:47:55 AM »
The commandant had been watching from the shadows, the bobbing of fire in the dark and the huffing of a large beast did not get passed him. The slowly followed the group on the other side of the moat, lazy steps with little interest in the safety for the bear. Humans were cruel, but so was life. Alteron had taken from the camp not too long ago, it seems the humans were agitated more than usual. It brought a smile to his face.

Up ahead, the large beast battled for his life, and he managed to save himself as he crossed into Alteron territory. The humans retreated for now, disappearing back into the darkness of the forest beyond. Orcrist paused as he sized up the bear, wondering if it was worth talking to them. They were technically trespassing and Azuhel was strict on other carnivores. Lions were the subject of torture, he had seen it, though not all were put under the thumb of the Dragon as Lynx had been regarded highly in this pack.

Ah, what the hell.

"I see yah annoyed t'humans. It ain't hard to, though." he said, approaching the massive animal. The commandant would've been lying if he denied being nervous, but he was one call away from the whole pack descending upon this intruder, and he figured the bear would know that by the scents surrounding him. And as they pushed the stick of fire into the moat, he frowned some. "I'll give yah two choices. Take 'em or leave 'em, but there ain't much to choose from." Because if they didn't choose either, Orcrist wouldn't hesitate using just as much force as the humans.

"Y'can answer m'questions to maybe join our humble Empire, or," he paused, swallowing accumulating saliva. "I can show yah to t'next log and y'can be on yer way." Ah, but that would be such a boring choice. They could really use the muscle the bear could offer. It wasn't every day a pack of wolves utilized such strength for their own advantages. Especially in the confines of war.

"Answer quickly, ain't got all night."

And they shall say
unto the elders of his city,
This our son is stubborn and rebellious,
he will not obey our voice;
he is a glutton, and a drunkard.
- Deuteronomy 21:20
⇢  Played by Gothy
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

Offline Pawprint/Adolph

• Master
  • 10% Sweet Tea
    • DA Website
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 12:18:44 AM »
"I see yah annoyed t'humans. It ain't hard to, though."

He whirled around, snarling at the wolf.  Didn't he know bears had a hair trigger?  Did he not ever run into a mama grizzly or a hungry bear?  He didn't surprise Rooter, no.  No, of course not!  But it was something the boy said that crossed him just as much as his presence.

"Annoyed.  Annoyed!  I was hibernating when they grabbed me."  He puffed hard through his nostrils.  "I woke up burning!" He cut himself off.  He didn't owe this wolf an explanation.  And with how unfazed he was facing a bear...Rooter sniffed the air furiously.  Would his kin flow out the forest and push him in the hole that circled their packland?  It was their land, but wolves always thought they had the advantage with numbers.  They thought so highly of themselves.

"I'll give yah two choices. Take 'em or leave 'em, but there ain't much to choose from.  Y'can answer m'questions to maybe join our humble Empire, or," if Rooter had eyebrows, they would be raised in curiosity, "I can show yah to t'next log and y'can be on yer way."

Join our humble Empire...speaking of thinking highly of themselves!  Be on yer way?  Rooter knew better.  Wolves weren't the most peaceable creatures.  He fought enough of them to know.  The boy had to be humoring him.  But the grizzly was catching his breath in the meantime.  This one sided conversation was the most peace Rooter had in the weeks he had been tortured.  He could stretch the time to recover.

"Answer quickly, ain't got all night."

Maybe not.  Rooter stared him down like the smaller beast he was.  Then he froze.  Something he forgot the whole time--

"How are you not shocked about the torch?" he asked with urgency.  Fire scared all creatures, especially fire man wielded.  Surely even the wolf would be a little nervous about man's torch just burning on his home?  From all things considered, he had at least seen the humans before he scared--snuck up on Rooter.  Rooter needed to appeal to a wolf's self-importance in order to get rid of the torch.  His mom always taught him a wolf's ego was fiercer than his bite.  That was why they needed a pack in order to boost it. "I can't leave leaving fire on your land.  Help me kill the torch, wolf.  I'll answer your questions."

Let's see about your Empire, boy.

Characters

New Profiles Needed
"You" ...she has no name

Offline Orcrist

• Alteron
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 07:56:18 AM »
The beast seemed surprised that Orcrist wasn't concerned by the sheer size or strength of what he could behold, and perhaps the Commandant was a little foolish for startling an animal twice his size, but he was the prince of the borders. Little intimidated him to begin with, not just because his ego was so large or that he could pull wolves from the forest with one call, but because he had grown up with a terrifying woman for a mother. Rapier and Azuhel were the only ones to truly terrify him.

The man nearly yawned as the beast explained that he was indeed annoyed, hibernating through the winter months happily before the humans decided to poke a bear with a fire stick. They must've been really bored or extremely stupid. Well, they had arrows made of fire, so Orcrist supposed he could understand the gnawing fear from a creature who did not grasp the concept of an element. A tongue ran over his nose as he watched the shades of emotion running through the bear's mind as it clearly showed on his face. Annoyance, thoughtfulness, confusion. All were quite intriguing for the man as he stood still in the darkness waiting for an answer.

When the bear spoke, he was surprised it wasn't a direct answer though he chuckled none-the-less. Orcrist should've expected this, that his dull demeanor toward fire was very questionable at the very least. "Fire ain't a stranger. You'll soon learn about t'dragon's ways iffin' y'join." Another gesture of convincing the bear to stay. Curiosity was a powerful weapon to wield, if he kept enticing the beast maybe he would fall right in! What a catch he would be, though he would have to explain to Azuhel why in the hell he accepted a bear in the first place.

Ah well, that was for later.

A smile appeared on the Commandant's features again, excitement running through his blood. "Good. If yah want to extinguish t'flames, go ahead. Ain't gonna burn nothin' but dirt, and as far as I know, dirt can't burn." At least not as far as he's seen. Not all bridges had lanterns just yet, this one didn't, and probably would never now that the beast destroyed the logs and plunged them into the moat. "Jus' throw it in t'moat. It'll snuff out on it's own." A test, to see if this beast could follow orders. If he did as he was told, then Orcrist would proceed, standing up on his feet and walking closer without much hesitation.

How brave you are, boy. You've survived so far, don't let it get to your head.

"First of all, y'name? I'm Orcrist, Commandant of Alteron. An' this humble establishment is... well, you guessed it, Alteron. Y'said you were hibernatin'?" A few simple questions, again testing the waters. He might've been fearless, but Orcrist wasn't a damn fool. He would take things slow, he too didn't want to poke the bear more than he already had been poked.

So rude.

And they shall say
⇢  Played by Gothy
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

Offline Pawprint/Adolph

• Master
  • 10% Sweet Tea
    • DA Website
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 05:33:51 PM »
A nonchalant attitude was still the last thing Rooter expected from a wolf, but the smaller beast acted as if he was sharing stories with an old friend or being a social butterfly.  Just when he thought he had seen everything the past few weeks he escapes to a land with a fierce reputation only to be face to face with a cool wolf.  So cool, he wasn't even afraid of fire.  Did the land catch fire often?  Was that why there was a hole surrounding it? 

When the wolf told him to it was okay to kill the torch, he was relieved.  Maybe it was so common that the wolves dealt with fire to the point of nonchalance.  Now Rooter had seen everything.  He teetered the torch to the edge away from the human so the torch wouldn't catch fire on him when it fell.  Just the dirt where t'moat was.  T'moat.  Weird name.  He heard the wolf speak again.

Orcrist?  Rooter stuck his tongue out, cringing.  How was he supposed to say that?  Or his title for that matter?  The bear could only indulge him so much without sounding silly pronouncing these words.  The wolf said a number of things he didn't understand.

"You can call me Rooter.  Good to meet you...Commander."  Too indulgent, yes, but it was the closest thing to his title and at least he could pronounce that word.  He rolled the torch between his paws.  He stopped it from falling.  "What's this t-t t'dragon?  Is that what Alteron calls its Leader?" He remembered his mom telling him stories about the war between the small and large wolves though he had forgotten the names of the groups.  Inaria and Alteron conflict was once legendary, as were the fringe dires of years ago.  Rooter would have asked more, but he was not the one asking questions.  The wolf was.  He exhaled softly at having to relive his story.

"The humans.  They stole me as I slept.  Bears don't switch on if someone or something disturbs them as they hibernate.  So when I said that I woke up burning, I woke up burning.  Clearly, they thought my hide was thick enough to handle the fire.  All for amusement.  I was tied up for weeks with the torches searing just behind my neck."  He narrowed his eyes.  "I dug for my own food as far as the ropes could let me."  *Guuuurgle!*  Rooter sat down, hugging his stomach.  If Orc didn't notice the thinner state of the bear before, it was clear now.  "I could eat a field of grass right now.  I won't waste your time.  I escaped, they pursued.  You probably saw the rest.  But before we continue, I have to ask again--your t'dragon.  That's the one who leads?  Saved you from the fire?"

Characters

New Profiles Needed
"You" ...she has no name

Offline Orcrist

• Alteron
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 11:20:18 AM »
Olive eyes watched the creature as they heeded his command, if only for a moment as the bear teetered the stick on the edge of the moat edge. Tail twitched, a little annoyed, but perhaps letting the creature become comfortable with the element was better. They would find the wolves to harness power from fire, a symbol of sorts. The lanterns were quite useful. The bear introduced himself finally, Orcrist nodding in acknowledgement. Seems this Rooter though did not know that the wolf had an accent, asking exactly what T'dragon was. The commandant laughed, teeth glowing against the embers of the torch. "I see yah don't know 'bout accents. I'll jus' ... talk without it. For now." he said, shifting some.

The Commandant would listen to the bear's story as it was asked. He was intrigued that humans could be so bold, and he would not question the viciousness of the creatures as he knew very well what they were capable of. Stories are what kept most wolves at bay. Stories of capture, torture and death. Skins were worn as trophies or hung up for warning. Ears twitched as the beast hugged his stomach as it gurgled in hunger. He'd have to make this go by quicker if he didn't want to end up as food, so he made his answer brief. "We have two leaders.. at the moment, Anya the Keystone and Azuhel the Red Dragon." Anya wasn't much of a leader, she had been missing for some time, or at least hiding somewhere in the territory. That was for a different time however.

The man yawned, shifting once again onto a different leg and shook his head. Seems he was more tired than he thought, weighing the other question in his mind. "She brings fire." he finally said, carefully considering. Orcrist knew very well why she was called the Dragon and that the land beyond the mountains of Death Valley believed she was some sort of devil. "But that is for another time. My question to you now is what can you offer us here in Alteron? Loyalty weighs heavy here, it gets you far."

Could a beast of this nature be loyal?

And they shall say
⇢  Played by Gothy
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃