Author Topic: The sirens are singing my song... (Siren)  (Read 242 times)

Offline Anky

• Regular
  • Where the sky meets the sea
  • Liked: 142
  • Likes Given: 82
The sirens are singing my song... (Siren)
« on: May 26, 2017, 06:31:08 PM »
Black sands gave way to a murky brown as the shore was abruptly washed out into the sea by a meandering river, dumping its contents into the ocean. The water here was cloudy and brackish, salt water mixed with salt, it churned up the sand at the bottom and created a swirling chaos of undercurrents. As the beach turned inland and the dirty brown sand along the shore, dissolved slowly into a mixture of sand and mud and then eventually just mud. Slurping sounds were heard as the beast who traveled here pulled each foot free from the muck and continued further upriver. The forest started to gain ground the further up river he went, growing thick and tall around the fresh water, gnarled roots reached out and created a tangle of rocks, roots, and dirt along the river. The thick, cloudy water became less so, as it cleared, tiny stones and bits of larger rocks littered the riverbed, worn smooth over the years of running water. Shades of green and brown reflected off the surface as the trees grew out over the water creating a sort of living tunnel through which the water traveled to the sea.

The black hellhound with a fluke for a tail had wandered far down the shoreline of his new home, passing its borders and adventuring into the unknown. The river he followed didn't smell like any claimed pack lands but it was hard to tell when you travel near the water. Journeying further up the river the narrow bit of riverbank he used was slowly sucked into the water and soon enough the beast was traveling in knee deep water. He didn't mind, he lived for the water, it was part of him, his sleek tail fluke gave him great speed and maneuverability in the water. Although it was quite shocking to look at for some, it's rubbery, hairless surface made his tail look like it belonged on a whale rather than a wolf. If he were to be completely honest, he'd say he would much rather be a whale than wolf anyway, or sea wolves as his new friends had called them.

Anky slid into the middle of the river, his fluke trailing behind him just beneath the surface, the water here moved slowly so it was easy enough to paddle against the current without help from his powerful fluke. He chugged along against the current, paws pulling at the water, propelling him forward. Before long he reached a part of the river where the river bed rose up and created a tiny pebbled outcropping halfway between each bank. He waded up onto the mostly dry wannabe island and shook himself off. He heard something behind him, something in the water, he turned slowly and called out 'H...Hello?' He couldn't see anyone just the crystal blue water of the river behind him.

Bin
|| MIA ||

Offline lexi.

• can you save my heavydirtysoul
  • Regular
  • work sun-weds
  • Liked: 249
  • Likes Given: 389
Re: The sirens are singing my song... (Siren)
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 07:06:20 PM »
                                                                                Siren kept close to the river as she wandered away from the beach she'd been raised on. She didn't mind the forest, not necessarily, but she preferred the taste of fish and the like to the taste of rabbits, and she was better at hunting them. Swimming for her whole life and running along sandy beaches had given her strong legs, making it easy for her to keep her pace even in a swift current. Her thin fur kept her cool as the day began to get hot, though she was eventually driven into the welcoming waters of the river she followed.

She had no clue where she was going. Her parents had deemed her an adventurer, raised her to look out for herself and had sent her on her way with warm wishes and promises to come visit. She had so many new things to see! Already she'd encountered plants and wildlife that she'd never seen before; huge, sprawling fauna and hooved beasts. Her father had brought back a deer from the forest, once, and it had been the strangest food she'd ever seen or eaten. It wasn't bad, per-se, but it was definitely an acquired taste. She preferred her fish greatly.

Eventually as she swam along, the cool pebbles of the riverbed fell away, leaving her actually swimming instead of walking half-submerged. Her hair drifted around her face like the tendrils of an octopus, swaying to and fro with the current, which wasn't particularly forceful. After swimming for quite a while, she saw an outcropping in the middle of the large river; something that was half-island half non-existent. The small break in the overhead trees let the sun shine down on it though, and the smooth, round rocks that made up the surface looked perfectly warm and comfortable for a nap. Just as she was about to head toward it, a head popped up from the other side! Bright, crystal-blue eyes stared at the male who emerged, the water dripping from his dark coat. With a mischievous smile, she ducked underwater, swimming around behind him, circling the island like a shark with it's prey.

She let her head surface for just long enough to make a splash, watching from underwater as he turned and called out to her. Vaguely she could hear his voice, distorted through the rushing of water in her ears. She circled one more time, now in front of him, then swam as fast as she could to pop out of the water on the bank. "Hi!" She chirped brightly, probably scaring the poor man to death. If she had, she'd giggle, unable to control herself. She dripped with water, her long hair clinging to her messily, drops sliding quickly off the short fur of her back. She wagged her tail, dispersing some of the water weight from it, ears perked and friendly. "I've never seen someone with a tail like yours. You look like an orca!" She offered freely, the first thing that came to her mind. It was true; his tail was unique, and honestly, she was fascinated. Did it help him swim? Did he come from an ocean-living family too? Did he want to race?

« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 07:07:06 PM by lexi. »
But I don't let him touch me anymore
I said "I'm not something to butter up
And taste when you get bored.
'Cause I have spent too many nights on dirty bathroom floors,
To find some peace and quiet right behind a wooden door."

He said, "Please don't go away."
I said "It's too late."
I said "It's too late."

Offline Anky

• Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 09:43:07 AM »
As the unexpected female launched herself onto the bank the poor beast stumbled back and landed on his rump, his expression dumbfounded. It wasn't often something coming from the water caught him by surprise and this woman was certainly a surprise, to say the least. The woman stood before him, soaking wet, tendrils of long flowing fur adorned her head, weighted down from the water that it dripped from its locks. Her blue pelt only added to the vision that stood before him, dark blues intermingled with lighter hues of the spectrum, she looked like the ocean come alive. Incredible. She reminded him of the stories he'd heard as a pup, stories of beautiful women who lived in the sea, mermaids, legs exchanged for fish tails and lungs traded for gills. This woman had no fish tail and no gills from what he could see, he tried to logic, she must be canine. To add to his surprise, this woman came straight up from the river, she was perhaps the first wolf he'd encountered in this new land that could swim and that excited him.

She tweeted her greeting and giggled at his shock before mentioning his fluke. It wasn't new to Anky, he'd learned very quickly that his tail was going to be a point of interest with everyone he came across, sometimes even pointed out before pleasantries were exchanged. He cocked his head at the word Orca, that was a new one, he stood back up and bobbed his fluke tail, giving it a quick glance. 'An orka? Do you mean the sea wolves? Massive black and white mistresses of the ocean?' It made sense, those were the only animals he'd come across that had a black fluke like his, but perhaps this woman knew something he didn't.

Thoughts aside, her posture was friendly enough and Anky was eager to see if this minx could actually swim. It had been a while since he'd had a swimming companion, other than the sea wolves and the occasional swimming pupil. He charged past the woman and dove into the river behind her, completely submerged his powerful fluke propelled him away from the almost-island. A few yards between them, he launched himself from the water, leaving it behind as he rolled forward in the air before diving back into the clear waters. He could flip and spin like the best of the sea wolves, not a typical behavior of theirs but he found it exhilarating and did it often. His head broke the surface again and beamed back at the goddess of the sea, quite proud of himself. He called to her through a deep chuckle, 'Can you swim?'. Perhaps the answer was obvious but he still wasn't sure this woman was real. The hellhound spun, turning from her, and slapped his fluke on the surface before he chugged upriver, holding back his speed, testing the female. His skill in the water was often too much for others and he didn't want to discourage a possible swimming companion by charging away at his full speed. For now, he let his fluke cruise behind him using his larger than normal webbed paws to glide away from the would be island and the beautiful blue female.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 09:43:51 AM by Anky »

Bin
|| MIA ||

Offline lexi.

• Regular
  • work sun-weds
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 10:22:27 AM »

At his wide-eyed gaze, Siren couldn't help but puff out her chest a little bit in pride. She wasn't sure if he was admiring her for her looks or for her ability to swim, but either way, she was proud of herself. Her pelt kept her cool and helped her blend in while she was hunting, kept her safe from predators when she was the one being hunted. The only thing on her not matching the ocean was her pink nose and paw pads, a nose her tongue snuck out to lick a water droplet off of as she waited for a reply.

"Sea wolf? Orcas are whales." She gave him a curious look--she'd never heard them called sea wolves before. She'd never heard them referred to as mistresses of the ocean, either, but she was guessing that was a him thing, not a local thing. She didn't hear the word mistress often. "Sounds like we're talking about the same thing though, so sure! Other whales don't have the same colors. Maybe a dolphin, though?" She pondered aloud--had she ever seen a black and white dolphin? Not that she could remember, but she was sure they existed somewhere. Probably. The ocean was a crazy place.

She blinked in surprise as the male suddenly threw himself from the island, padding a little further onto it to peer after where he'd disappeared to. She didn't try to contain her awe when he did several marvelous flips out of the water, her mouth hanging slightly agape. It only snapped shut when he resurfaced, beaming her direction. "Holy crap!" She cursed, grinning brightly. "That was amazing! How did you do that?" She wanted to know so she could try it. It looked like fun! She had a niggling feeling that he was able to because of his tail, though, so she didn't let her hopes get too high.

"Can I swim?" She parroted, balking. Could she swim?! Of course she could swim! Oh, this was a challenge if ever there were one, and Siren was game, all thoughts of a calm rest on the little island dispersed. She took a running leap into the water, inhaling deep just before she slipped under. She dove down pretty far, her nose forward and her paws back to allow her to crest deep underwater, and then her legs shot out to propel her forwards and up, brilliant blue eyes sparkling as the surface shadow shined down on her. She popped up next to him with a grin, hair sticking once more to her head, though this time it covered her eyes. She flipped it back carelessly, keeping pace next to him. "Of course I can swim! Did you think I just flew to that island, with my big wolf-wings?" She teased, following him along though she wasn't sure where they were headed.

"I was raised on a beach. Swimming is like second nature to me." She explained easily, legs kicking steadily underneath her. "Probably not as much as it is to you, with your orca tail, but, still."

I said "It's too late."
I said "It's too late."

Offline Anky

• Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2017, 11:04:59 AM »
Blue eyes glanced back as a splash was heard, the woman had leapt into the water and rapidly closed the distance between then. A splatter of water made contact with the hellhound's face as she broke the surface beside him, she indeed could swim and more than just a simple doggy paddle that most wolves he'd met stuck to. He laughed as she snarked about having flown to the not-an-island, Oh, pardon me, Lady of the Water, I see now you are indeed a graceful swimmer. This was all very exciting for Anky but it was about to get better, he looked at her shimmering blue eyes as she spoke beside him as they chugged along. She grew up on a beach! Be still his heart, this was a woman he was eager to get to know better, he could see them becoming good friends.

That sounds like a wonderful childhood, I myself grew up near the ocean as well. He beamed proudly before remembering himself, Apologies, my name is Ahklut but most find it easier to call me Anky. May I ask what name your parents bestowed upon you? He believed manners were a dying art and he often tried his best to present himself in a respectful way. The woman beside him might be an exciting anomaly to him but she was still a person and he was determined to be considerate.

His legs continued pulling away at the slow current that moved around them, it was a welcome change to have a swimming companion, especially one who was as stunning as the woman beside him. A slap of his fluke sent a small sprinkling of water toward the female, a playful gesture, as he dug harder at the current and began to out pace her. He was itching to see how skilled his new friend really was, he gained speed and pulled a head of her before falling back beside her, slowing his speed to the point where he was slightly behind her. Grinning madly he repeated the up and back movement, challenging the woman. Still only relying on his large, webbed feet rather than resorting to powering along with his tail as he normally did, it wasn't likely that she would be able to keep speed with him if he chose to engage his fluke. Wanna go fast? He laughed as he paddled back up to her shoulder. This could be fun.

Bin
|| MIA ||

Offline lexi.

• Regular
  • work sun-weds
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 09:36:17 PM »

She grinned forgivingly, shrugging her shoulders as much as the water and swimming would allow, which was not much. When she realized this, she just shook her head instead, laughing a little. "It's fine, no harm done. We all make mistakes." She teased easily. She was excited to have finally met someone she could spend some sort of time with--he was a little more formal than her, likely because she'd had a very easygoing, laid-back childhood, unlike many of the wolves she'd met since starting her journey. It was insane how many tragedies had befallen them while she and her little family were squirreled away on a peaceful beach. The worst they'd ever had was some heavy rains that they'd worried would turn into a tsunami, forcing them inland further than they'd ever gone before. It hadn't, but the precaution was a necessary one. They were good swimmers, all of them, but they'd have been screwed against an angry ocean.

"Siren," She offered him in return, nodding as he gave her his name. Her parents weren't exactly the most original of wolves, and she'd grown up with stories of the dangers and marvels that the ocean held. Different legends based on the different cultures her parents had the pleasure of visiting during their own travels. It was a great love story, theirs. Anyways. "And before you ask, yes, I can sing. No, they didn't know that when they named me." She paused, then remembered her manners. "Nice to meet you, Anky." To be fair, she'd been a girl who always wanted to hear stories, and had very little need to listen to their etiquette lessons. She knew enough to get by. Mostly.

"Of course I do!" She cried in excitement, immediately launching off at full speed at his proposal. She thought she was quite the fast swimmer, though she was fairly confident he would swim faster than her. Still, it was exhilarating to have the opportunity; most wolves she'd met didn't really care for the waters very much. Or they did, just, not as much as her. She lived, slept, and breathed the water. Well, not literally, but, still. If there was water nearby, that's where she could be found. She'd come across a desert once, paused on the edge of it, and turned around and headed the long way because she simply wasn't built for dry climates. She needed the sand to be dense and wet beneath her paws, wanted it to stick to her with seaweed and other ocean debris as it always did when she went hunting for seashells. She left her collection with her parents, because how on earth was she going to carry them, but, still.

She propelled through the water for as long as she could, zipping underneath for as long as she could hold her breath, vibrant blue eyes taking in the river ecosystem--so different from the ocean, yet so alike. Otters and fish zipped out of their way, terrified of all the ruckus they were causing. Eventually, she pulled herself from the river onto a silty, lightly pebbled shore, panting heavily, though a grin on her maw. She hadn't even paid attention to which one of them won their impromptu race. "That was great." She huffed out, sitting heavily on her blue-toned behind, shaking the excess water from her pelt. "Did you see the otters? They were terrified of us." She laughed lightly, once again tossing long hair out of her eyes. "Are you from around here, Anky?"

I said "It's too late."
I said "It's too late."

Offline Anky

• Regular
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 08:40:12 PM »
'Of course, I do!' The woman called before taking off. Anky followed closely behind her, closing the gap quickly, only using his powerful fluke to pull even with her. His eyes brimming with excitement as they rushed through the water, disturbing the locals and generally just having fun. He was thrilled with this new woman, she was fast, he found himself struggling to keep pace with just his legs alone, though he didn't resort to using his fluke. As she adjusted her pace and headed for the shore, he followed suit, making landfall at about the same second as the vixen. He slid out of the water like an otter, rubbing his sopping wet underside along the smooth pebbles, his front legs tucked back along his torso and his back feet propelling him. It was not even close to graceful but the sensation of the rocks rolling along his chest and stomach was not to be matched. He lolled over onto his side, panting, he stretched out his legs toward the woman and laughed.

'That was fantastic! It's been a long time since I've had a proper run.' He gently pushed at her shoulder with an outstretched paw playfully. 'You're really fast.' Anky added, his expression clearly showing his dazzled impression of the woman. 'Those poor otters didn't know what was happening!' A deep chuckle escorted his comment.

He remained laying on his side, three of his legs resting on the ground while the fourth continued to gently push on the woman, this time reaching a much closer target, her ankle. He was a very tactile creature, it wasn't so much a flirtatious thing as it was just who he was. Perhaps it had to do with his upbringing or maybe he was just weird, the intrusion into another's personal space never occurred to him to be wrong, or intrusive.

Around here? Not originally, no. Though I've recently found a home within the pack to the north of here. Gemini, perhaps you're familiar?

The hound flicked his tail, which was still resting at the edge of the water, sending a few droplets of water toward the blue woman. He eyed her dripping pelt and was intrigued, What about you? Where are you from, other than 'the beach'?

Bin
|| MIA ||

Offline lexi.

• Regular
  • work sun-weds
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 08:58:51 PM »
ooc: bump for myself!

I said "It's too late."
I said "It's too late."