Author Topic: The colors Duke, the COLORS! (Open)  (Read 115 times)

Online Anky

• Apprentice
  • Where the sky meets the sea
  • Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 16
The colors Duke, the COLORS! (Open)
« on: May 21, 2017, 09:59:13 PM »
Depressions made in the sand slowly filled with water and were swept away by the gentle waves that lapped at the coast. The tracks followed a blackened hellhound who seemed to perfectly match the beach of black sand. Anky walked with his feet at the edge of the advancing water, north, following the shore and the cliffs as they curved around toward the west. He had not ventured this far up the beach since first arriving in his new home, though there was no particular reason not to, he thought today might be as good as any to check out how far the beach extended. The beast walked with his fluke tail held out stiffly behind him, it's smooth surface still damp from his most recent swim. It had been the topic of much interest to those he had recently met, well, to everyone he'd met since leaving his home. Anky thought back over the wolves he'd met since arriving, a warmth drawing up inside his chest as he fondly remembered their first impressions of him and his tail fluke. They had called him a sea wolf, one even threatened to take his tail for a trophy.

The hellbeast could begin to see where the beach ended and a vast mountain range began, almost as if it suddenly sprung up from the depths of the ocean one day, long ago. As the sandy coast was swallowed up but the massive cliffs, Anky noticed several crevasses in the cliff face, some level with the beach, others that might require climbing skills to access. Curious, the hound decided it might be worth exploring, who knew, there could be a passage up through to the mountains, though not likely. Black feet kissed the black sand as he made his approach to one of the wider openings in the cliff, the sand gave way to rock as he entered an archway barely taller than himself. Anky took note of how smooth the solid rock beneath his feet was as if it had been worn down over years and years, yet the cavern did not appear to be occupied. To him this meant one thing, high tide reached this opening, no telling how high it got but he wasn't too worried, his fluke allowed him to navigate water with relative ease.

It was darker here than outside for obvious reasons but his blue eyes adjusted easily enough to the dimly lit interior, he was greeted with incredible. The crevasse opened up on either side and the ceiling rose above him, it was so tall he could easily reach a paw to it should he stand on his hind legs. The chamber was quite wide and it extended even further, pillars of stone curved up from the ground, reaching up to support the weight of the mountains about them. If Akhlut held his head to the left or to the right he could make circles appear in the void created by the surrounding pillars. The solid rock floor gradually sloped away from the entrance, Anky could see dimples in the floor where small pools of water slept. The far back of the cavern appeared to be a pool of water, it was hard to tell how deep it was from his vantage point, it deserved a closer look.

As he made his way deeper into the cave he could hear the crashing of the waves from the entrance grow fainter and a rhythmic dripping grow louder. Water, dripping into the pool at the other side of the cavern, as he reached the pool his breath caught in his throat, ever had he seen anything so beautiful. The floor gave way to a sudden drop where the pool began, only, it didn't go straight down, it doubled under itself, creating a cave beneath the rock on which the hellbeast stood. The pool was crystal clear and as smooth as glass, apart from a steady drip near where the cavern walls met the pool. As he slid into the pool, the surface of which only accounted for a small portion of its range, the water around him lit up in a spectacular fashion, bioluminescent creatures in the water reacting to the movement his body created. In the blue light he could see brightly colored corals scattered across the bottom; pink, green, orange, and red, among others, it also appeared that this pool was MUCH larger than what he saw on the surface. The pool mimicked the cavern above in structure, expanding beneath the floor and walls of the surface cave, pillars curved up from the bottom here too. Oddly enough though, Anky noted as he dove beneath the surface, there were no fish or crustaceans in the underground pond. The hellhound pumped his powerful fluke to propel himself deeper into the underwater cave when he noticed a soft glow coming from a hole in the ceiling nearby.

Akhlut broke through the water as he reached the hole and blinked the water from his eyes in disbelief. He'd surfaced into a small chamber that was lit up like the night sky, tiny specks of light clung to tendrils of stone that hung from the very high ceiling. This room was much smaller than the others but it was still large enough for three or four larger wolves to comfortably stretch out in. The hole he had entered through was in the narrow end of this egg-shaped chamber, the opposite end was wider and had a ledge that was just low enough for Anky to jump onto it, which he promptly did. He stood on the ledge, hopped his front legs up against the wall and craned his neck toward the lights above him trying to get a better look. There were thousands of them, some clumped together to create the effect of a larger 'star' while others stood on their own, tiny specks dotted here and there. It was unlike anything he'd ever seen, it was as if the Mother had created this space specifically for him, he closed his eyes and slid down the wall, all four feet back on the ledge. His chest filled til bursting as he quietly thanked the Mother for her gracious spirit that seemed to know no end. This was to be his home, and as if She was replying to him, telling him that he was forever welcome; as he opened his eyes his gaze settled on a shiny black stone in the shape of his tail. He stretched out on the ledge, rolling onto his back so he could gaze at the 'stars' and slowly drifted off to sleep in his new home.

Several hours later the hellhound emerged from his private entrance on the beach and made his way down the shoreline. He traveled in the ankle-deep surf, kicking up water with every footfall of his slow, rolling lope back toward the hewn steps that lead to the grasslands above. This is where you'll find him, tongue flapping out the side of his grinning mug, positively soaked from head to tail, black sand clinging to his legs and belly, just happy to be here.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 10:11:54 PM by Anky »

Offline Livid (RP)

• ranger of gemini
  • Apprentice
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The colors Duke, the COLORS! (Open)
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 10:09:20 AM »
The Ranger's tail waved lazily in the breeze as she stood near the border, quite a distance from where Anky was undergoing his investigation into the depths. Her nose twitched as the breeze grew into a wind and she caught the scent of the hellhound, confirming that he was on the beach, perhaps fishing. It would make sense, for he had mentioned he wanted to become a teacher in it one day. Liv sighed, a curious feeling coming over her as she took in the salty scent again. Yeah, no. She was just fine near the borders. So what if Anky was swimming again? Every wolf had it in them to swim. There was nothing exciting or fascinating about a wolf who could catch fish so effortlessly. Nothing at all.

Liv stood up and walked away from the border. It was boring anyway.

It did not take her long to find Anky's tracks. Her nose taking a breather as she followed them across the sand, until they vanished into a dark cave beyond the shoreline. Was this where he had made his home? Quite an apt place for a fish-tailed wolf to stay. She remembered how he had swam so effortlessly through the water. She almost wanted to order him to teach her how to fish and swim more efficiently but that would be embarrassing. After all, she did not need such skills whilst patrolling the borders. She sniffed the entrance of the cave, wondering if she should enter but caution won out and she merely hoped he would emerge on the beach again.

Still, there was a great, magical world beyond that entrance. And it excited her.

Upon sighting the hellhound on the other end of the beach - he seemed more intent on just having a good time more than anything - Liv would begin to walk over to him, but not before making sure that her coat was free of sand and other debris. Being neat and proper in appearance would make her look more... Important, after all. Once Anky had spotted her, she would wave lazily with a front paw.

"Hello, Ank- I-I mean Akhlut. Thought I'd find you here," she spoke flatly, trying to hide the curiosity she felt for where his trail had vanished. "You're soaking wet too. Have you been swimming out here all day?"

A neat, roundabout way of asking just where those caves led. Genius. She would hate for this hellhound to get the idea that she was remotely interested in where he chose to investigate. It was merely a passing interest. That was all.

PROFILECHARACTER BINplayed by RJ

Online Anky

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 11:57:47 AM »
As Ahklut ran along the shore, his chest full to bursting with joy, he couldn't imagine that this day could get any better. He'd found an incredible hidden treasure and claimed it as his own, finally feeling like he had a home now. The secrets hidden within his new shelter, he was sure he was the first to discover them, that alone excited him. His head swirled with a blissful euphoria and an ever-present playfulness as he noticed someone approaching. Blue eyes clouded by the seawater that was splattering his face, so her identity wasn't instantly apparent to him. He veered from his trajectory, blinking a few times to clear his eyes, heading toward the wolf. Anky would know that muted blue pelt anywhere, Lady Livid, just when he through the day could get any better. He maintained a leisurely pace as he closed the gap between them, tongue still flapping to the side but his grin widened.

He hadn't seen the Lady since the meeting Madam Aela had called, he'd been eager to speak with her then but it didn't seem an appropriate time. Anky slowed to a trot and then a walk when he was closer, she spoke to him as he approached. He noted the empty tone she used, she was uninterested in his wanderings it said, yet she approached him and was the one in initiate a conversation. It reminded him of their first meeting when she offered to remove his tail for him, yet instead of just ripping it off while he napped, she had tackled him to the ground and gave him a chance to explain himself. He had a feeling there was more to the Lady Livid than what she presented to the world.

''ello Lady Livid!' He greeted her, his tail bobbing, his best attempt at a friendly wag. 'Indeed, you are quite correct, it's a rare day that I'm found too far from the ocean.' He shook off some excess water when she mentioned how wet he was. 'Pardon me, I must look a mess. I've been exploring M'lady, the caves along the cliffs, they are rather exciting. There's a small pool deep in the one I explored that I may have ventured into. Though I suspect the entrances of the caves are swallowed up at high tide.' He warned, wanting to make it known should she want to investigate them herself, he would hate for her to get stranded, or worse. Part of him wanted to pour out all the details of what he'd found inside but he wanted to keep the secret of his alcove. Not out of being selfish mind you but more because he'd never had anything that was just his before, it was new and exhilarating.

'How have you faired Lady Livid? Are you on patrol today?' The hellhound sat back on his haunches and gave the spot behind his furry black ear a scratch with a hind leg. 'I've been meaning to thank you for the kindness you afforded me before, accepting me into this land of Gemini, I don't think I could have asked for a better home.' Anky's blue eyes sparkled with gratitude as he looked at the stunning woman who stood before him. She truly was a vision, he noted how neat and clean she appeared and wondered if she was always so well put together. He couldn't imagine it was easy, staying so tidy while patrolling the borders of their home.

Offline Livid (RP)

• ranger of gemini
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 07:43:19 AM »
(ooc: are u lowkey shipping liv x anky? because I sure as hell am. lol)

''ello Lady Livid!'

Liv frowned at the title 'lady'. In her original pack, it was rare for females to be treated with such respect. In fact, females would go as far to put up an emotional blockade around themselves, so that their work would not be distracted by pups or males. Being a workaholic was one of the most obvious ways to survive in the harsh North, and those who allowed themselves to be distracted by petty emotions such as love and happiness did not tend to last long. Even though she was no longer in the North, Liv was a Ranger - a border guard - and although Anky's carefree, charming personality tugged at her heart slightly, she quickly pushed the feeling to the back of her skull.

"Please, Ahklut, you're now a member of this pack, you don't need to address me as 'Lady'," she told him sternly, before quickly recovering from bitch mode by adding. "But you're welcome to call me 'Liv', if you'd like."

'Indeed, you are quite correct, it's a rare day that I'm found too far from the ocean.'

He shook himself dry, Liv avoided the spray by backing away slightly. Huh. At least he had some pride in his appearance. She could relate to that. Looking professional always fed confidence. Not that Ahklut needed it. He seemed to ooze confidence, especially in the way he continued to talk to her like they had been friends for years. It was quite nice, especially in Gemini. Everybody here seemed to be too busy with their own demons to really form relationships and that had originally suited Liv fine. Now, however, that familiar feel of loneliness prevailed.

'Pardon me, I must look a mess. I've been exploring M'lady, the caves along the cliffs, they are rather exciting. There's a small pool deep in the one I explored that I may have ventured into. Though I suspect the entrances of the caves are swallowed up at high tide.'

"Really?" Liv asked, glancing at the aforementioned entrance with genuine interest. "Well, you're quite the observant little guy, aren't you? I've been up and down this beach plenty of times and I've never found any caves. It's just as well you showed up to Ranger recruitment."

It was the closest that Ahklut would get to a compliment from her. Liv certainly thought she had come a long way from attacking him and threatening to rip his tail off. An entirely new emotion - guilt - reared its ugly head. An apology was on the tip of her tongue and perhaps she would blurt it out in time but, for the moment, she was too proud and guarded to let it slip out. Besides, Ahklut began speaking again just as soon as the thought came into her head. He talked a lot but that was fine. It was easier having somebody else do all the talking. It made things a lot less awkward. 

'How have you faired Lady Livid? Are you on patrol today? I've been meaning to thank you for the kindness you afforded me before, accepting me into this land of Gemini, I don't think I could have asked for a better home.'

"Actually, I think I'm finished for the day," Liv confessed, her interests in those caves had overpowered her desire to work. "And you're quite welcome, Ahklut. Gemini always as a place for anybody who proves themselves useful and you certainly proved that with your fishing skills and now this ability of uncovering caves. If you're not doing anything yourself, could you show me these caves you found? Just so I can report them to ol' Greenie. That's my nickname for Strider Aela, by the way, but keep that between us."

Just to show the guy that she did have a sense of humour. Furthermore, she secretly grinned at the sneaky way she had gone about asking to see the caves. This was totally a professional setting, not at all born from her own curiosity. Nope. Not at all.

Online Anky

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 08:56:38 AM »
|| um... yeah. I ship them a little.... ||

Blue eyes glittered when the lady offered 'Liv' in exchange for 'Lady Livid', he wasn't too keen on the informal with higher ranking members or those he took a shine too, but if that was what she wanted, he would gladly oblige her. 'If that is what you prefer... Liv.' He considered for a moment if she offered this name to everyone in the pack or if he was perhaps special in some way, the hellhound didn't want to get his hopes up so he just assumed it was something she offered to everyone.

The woman before him praised his discovery of the caves and a wave of satisfaction washed over him. It made him proud to know he'd been helpful and discovered something new, especially when he could share his discovery with Lady Livid. Anky couldn't quite place it but he had certain feelings for the woman like he wanted her to be proud of him... maybe like that of a pup seeking approval from his mum. No, that wasn't it, but, what was it, perhaps he could sort it out later.

'Little guy am I?' He puffed up his chest and held his head up, he had a good inch or two on her, though he was so lanky it didn't really matter, she easily outweighed him. He laughed and deflated his chest, he wasn't even close to a macho male, the posture was so unnatural for him it was funny. 'Thank you for your kind words, I only hope I can do my part here.... and make sure you don't regret not ripping my tail off and taking it home with you.' Another laugh, they could laugh about this now, right? In truth, he often looked back at the first meeting with fondness, though at the time it had been slightly to the left of center.

The hellhound leaped up from his sitting position at her attempt a humor and offered a play bow and a hearty chuckle, 'High praise, M'lady, and I'd be only too happy to show you the caves.' Anky stood up straight again and winked at her, 'For Strider Aela of course.' he added before bouncing away from the blue lady, striking out toward the cave entrance. Looking back over his shoulder to see if she was following he offered out some encouragement. 'Are you coming?' Blue eyes glittering as his eyes met hers.

Assuming she follows his frolicking and reaches the cave entrance with him, when they approached the small entry, the hound would take note that the tide was making its way in. Probably best to keep the exploration short, no telling how high the water got here, Anky didn't want to endanger his companion. He stood at the entrance and took in a deep breath before looking at the woman, 'After you, M'lady' grinning madly, wanting her to get the full effect of entering the expansive cavern without his tail end interrupting her view. He would follow closely behind her, holding his breath, awaiting her reaction. He silently prayed to the Mother she would find it as captivating has he did.

Inside she would find a domed ceiling, held up by smooth stone pillars that curved up from the damp stone below. Some of the pillars curved so sharply they made half of a circle, others only slightly warped. The ground was a slick stone slab that had been worn down over years of water rushing over it, divots here and there still had shallow puddles of seawater resting in them. Once they would pass the threshold the roar of the ocean crashing on the shore would diminish greatly, creating a white noise effect that was only interrupted by the slow, steady dripping of water somewhere deeper in the cavern. If she chose to push further into the dimly lit space, she would be able to see the pool along the far wall of the cave. This is what Anky would be very excited to show her, as there wasn't much else to the cave, at least nothing he'd discovered earlier in the day. No telling what Lady Livid might find with fresh eyes that the hellhound might have missed earlier in the day.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 10:53:08 AM by Anky »

Offline Livid (RP)

• ranger of gemini
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 05:48:13 PM »
'If that is what you prefer... Liv.'

It was. She had done nothing to earn the title of 'Lady', other than just her duty. Anky had shown up to the Ranger recruitment, after all, and it would not be the done thing to have him address her like she was some sort of superior. She wasn't. That title belonged to Aela - ol' Greenie - so the sooner the hybrid made it clear they were now equals serving under a singular authority figure and the monarchy, the better. She also wanted to get past the awkwardness of their first meeting and Anky's charm was throwing her off kilter.

Which was why she snorted with laughter when he puffed his chest out with clear bravado.

'Little guy am I? Thank you for your kind words, I only hope I can do my part here.... and make sure you don't regret not ripping my tail off and taking it home with you.'

"I still maintain that it would look nice on my wall," Liv retorted with a smile, looking at the tail with undisguised curiosity. "Hellhounds were quite a rarity where I come from, so it was quite interesting to come across one at last. You never did tell me where you originated from, Anky."

It was always good to try and learn things that lay outside of your comfort zone, after all. As a Ranger, it would be useful for Liv to find out which areas of the Straits were populated by hellhounds. It would not do well for her to encounter one that did not have Anky's easygoing nature. In her wide experience, the bigger the creature was, the more ill-tempered they could be.

In short, she was totally not interested in his backstory. Nope. She was asking strictly on business. Totally.

The topic of conversation would soon turn to the caves. Liv wanted to explore them more out of her own fascination that out of professionalism. But this did not stop her from feeling a slight hint of anxiety. These caves were unknown to her and unknown meant danger. Except she felt anticipation for some reason.

'High praise, M'lady, and I'd be only too happy to show you the caves. For Strider Aela of course.'

"Oh, I'm coming," Liv called back when he asked if she was game. "Just keeping an eye on the tide..."

Actually, she wasn't too great at predicting when the tide would be at its highest point. It was sure to bite her in the ass eventually, but Liv had never really figured she'd require such a skill, especially when most water in the North was frozen and presented no real hazard unless you fell into it. Following Anky into the cave and rolling her eyes somewhat at his gentlemanly manner, the two of them would look around in awe at the natural beauty of the place.

For a moment, notifying Aela of the place seemed the last thing on Liv's mind. In fact, she wanted this to be something of a secret between her and the hellhound. It was actually quite pleasant, having a place that was both quiet and beautiful. Upon sighting the pool, Liv would paw at it curiously. The surface was almost as clear as a mirror. She had bags under her eyes. Terrific. The hybrid would look back at Anky, clearly impressed by his find. "This is certainly an interesting and beautiful place, I'm glad you showed me it," she confessed, trying to sound matter-of-fact and casual.

Except she was transparent as the pool she was looking into.

Online Anky

• Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 08:10:49 PM »

Anky followed her quietly to the pool, watching as she pawed at it's surface, ripples curled out over the small visible sampling of the pool's actual size. Blue eyes lit up as she looked to him, her expression clear to anyone, she was impressed. The thought sent a chill down his spine, settling in the pit of his stomach and exploding into dozens of fish that fluttered rapidly. Any normal wolf would see these as butterflies but what can I say, with this kid, everything was aquatic.

'...I'm glad you showed it to me.'

The lanky beast felt his chest once more puff out, feeling the pride well within him. He wanted to please Lady Livid.... Liv, the fact that she was impressed by his discovery made his whole adventure worth it.

'There's more, M'lady.'

He grinned at her widely as he slowly slid into the pool, keeping only his head and a sliver of his upper torso above the surface. As he did so, the water around him exploded into light, millions of tiny blue specks joined their lights together and illuminated the dimly lit corner of the cavern. Anky paddled slowly, churning up more light as he went, the glow fading into the darkness behind him. It was almost as if he himself were generating the light around him, it clung to his legs with each stroke, his tail fluke waved beneath the surface as the glow danced of its almost reflective surface.

The pale blue incandescence lit up the surrounding pool, a startling collection of brightly colored corals lent their hue to the landscape, various species of seagrass, several shades of green, long tendrils reached up toward the surface, others hung from the tops of the underwater caves. The soft current created by the hellhound's movements caused ripples of movement within the grasses below, almost as if they were slow dancing.

Perfectly aware of the sight he was creating as he inched through the water, he turned back to face the woman still on the bank. His eyes reflecting the soft blue haze around him as he looked at Liv, the soft light gently reaching up to illuminate her face. Akhlut remained silent as he took in her form, another chill ran through him. Something tugged at him, a desire he'd not experienced before, a longing to give this woman anything she wished of him. It was a curious sensation but the hellhound pushed it back down from where it came, his typically confident demeanor was shaken as the internal struggle boiled.

Overwhelmed with the confusion within himself, Anky snapped his attention back to the here and now as he dipped his nose into the water before pulling it up sharply, creating a spray of bright blue water, aimed at the lady. His eyes glittered with glee, waiting to see if the water made contact. No telling how she would take the sudden flirtation or if she'd even see it as such, that remained to be seen.