Author Topic: misery loves company [prp]  (Read 178 times)

Offline Iaera [rp]

• [the nymph]
  • Gemini
  • Apprentice
  • Liked: 31
  • Likes Given: 1
misery loves company [prp]
« on: May 12, 2017, 11:31:02 PM »
[i a e r a]
ooc; emotional iaera here to sob uncontrollably be sad. it's in her character to occasional rage at herself because she feels like she abandoned her mother so why not now? short but it'll work. I apologize for the latin but Iaera realistically wouldn't "talk" to her mother in English.
-------------------------

The sun had fallen on Gemini twice since Iaera had appeared to receive her rank and suggestion to also join Aela and become a Ranger. Today was the third sunfall, and today she sat atop her freshly dug in-the-hill den, balancing precariously on a outreaching stone. So much had happened in such a short amount of time and the maiden was still reeling and trying to adjust. Iaera had put on her best smile and walked through all the stress and grin through the changes, to be kind and greet everyone. The reality was her world was spinning like a greedy whirlpool, despite it was all positive things it somehow still felt as if she was drowning in it. The woman was breathing hard, looking out at the new world before her with purple eyes on fire with emotion, wet with confusion. She should be happy, she had a beautiful new home, new friends, a new rank already, but her heart felt oddly empty. Iaera couldn't fathom it, she'd been alone for literal years and felt fine but the moment she found herself in a new home suddenly she couldn't cope with loneliness? The wolfdog wanted company, but it wasn't the company that anybody here in Gemini could really supply to her, she wanted mother.

SHE WANTED THIS HAPPINESS FOR MOTHER!

The tiny woman shook with rage, ears pinned hard against her small skull, eyes wild with fury and pain. How could she just run away? It ate at her soul often, but especially now that it felt like she had found her happily ever after and mother? Mother had been left for dead when the (literal) dogs closed in. Unable to console herself with reality; just a child, a child told to run, listening to mother. It made the small gray and tan woman draw in on herself, tightening all her legs up, pulling her paws in and wrapping her tail around her tightly, head tucked down. Tears rolled down her cheeks and she trembled with guilt and fear, "Mater, me paenitet." Words choked out, barely audible, if anyone here could even understand her. She knew, Iaera knew, Style was dead, deep down she knew that but she couldn't let it slip into her mind. The wolfdog couldn't admit it, she couldn't allow herself to admit it because then she would be guilty of directly causing her mother's death and she hurt bad enough.

What kind of coward wouldn't even go back to see if there was a body to bury?

Lips pulled back in disgust at herself, appalled at the thoughts eating at her heart. Tears burning in her violet eyes at this point, so badly she was unable to see. The Whisper sniffled softly, bringing up a small paw to wipe away the saline, smearing it across her marked face. Finally she looked up, the stars now slipping out of the black oblivion after hiding from the sunlight all day. Childhood memories flowed back to her, remembering the stories mother had told her of Imperium, that their ancestors and loved ones became stars upon their death.  For nearly every night since her escape she'd searched the sky to attempt to deny there was no new star, that mother was not there! The maiden sighed then, emotion weighing heavy on her chest, making her body weak. "Mater, ubi es?"

A shooting star streaked across the sky and the woman nodded softly, eyes still wet with tears.

"Te amo."

#CEA980

.profile.
.played by eclipse.

Offline Amalthea.

• Gemini
  • Initiate
  • I wanna know
  • Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: misery loves company [prp]
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 06:58:53 PM »
Lazy. Unmotivated. Those were just two of the words that bounced around Amalthea's as she lay watching yet another day fade away; was that perhaps what others thought of her as well? It was, after all, what she sometimes thought of herself when she looked at what little she'd done in her admittedly not particularly long life so why should everyone else think any differently? Suddenly, with ears tucked back and tail curled beneath her the girl would snap at the air as though it could drive such thought away. "You can be better," you will be better than that.

Anymore time left with nothing but the sounds of her own doubts and the nightlife around her and Amalthea very well may drive herself mad. So squaring her shoulders and straightening up Thea would shake her own thoughts off and begin with slow steps her attempt at betterment. Or, at the very least, shutting out her own internal voice. There was no destination in mind, no great ideas of where to head, just a meandering path toward nowhere at all. Maybe she'd find her way back to that castle she'd seen before, or even to the glowing pools, anywhere at all - it was all a possibility!

Now when she'd first set out Amalthea would've said that the only thing not a real possibility (purely because she didn't particularly wish for such an outcome) would be finding someone else out an about. Or just awake and along the lines her walk had taken her. "No," she told herself firmly, "you're not going to go find whoever's making that noise," but her legs didn't seem to follow verbal commands for some strange reason and her stupid curiosity was just as capable of ignoring them. Huffing an annoyed sigh Thea would relent with a shrug to heading toward the noises.

She didn't know them, though that was hardly surprising given how few she'd really met in her lifetime, and for a moment she'd simply stand there in plain sight and look at them before tilting her head first one way then the other and stepping closer. It was probably, she would decide as she got close enough to see the tear marks, a good thing she didn't know them; no ridiculous need to destroy whatever had upset them that way. Small mercies...And there were most certainly better ways  than this to start out when first meeting someone, but Amalthea would give a serious stare and bluntly ask, "What were you crying about?" Good job, great people skills you've there.

Amalthea
Played by Tanta

Offline Iaera [rp]

• [the nymph]
  • Gemini
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 09:42:02 PM »

Pain was gripping her chest tight, little purple eyes still dewy with tears when the strange woman approached her with little tact. She had barely finished nodding at the star when she was assaulted with a blunt tone. The tiny Whisper's eyes cut around wildly to Amalthea, more frightened, startled, than angry. Iaera had grown up with blunt tones, angry tones, she didn't even think anything of it for several long moments. Instead she took the woman in, ruddy reds and white, younger than her but far larger than her already-- not that that was all that surprising to the midget-y woman. Curious, if somewhat dreary expression in the eyes of the creature before her. It would seem that she had forgotten her manners in this time of emotional pain-- which would have been nicer to spend alone. She was used to being alone, being alone made sense to her, it was familiar to her and well... Iaera had a sense this woman wasn't going to be the empathetic type... And she had forgotten her manners as well the Latin wolfdog noted with the somewhat rude approach.

Or was Iaera just already hurt and being critical? Now the tan and grayscale was feeling self-conscious.

The small Whisper cleared her throat lightly, already embarrassed for the moment and the broken English to come. "Was thinking of ah, mater," a croak past a tight throat, still burning from her tears, "mother." The wolfdog corrected herself harshly, less for Amalthea's understanding-- after all a child could put two and two together with words so similar-- but more in anger at herself. She would never learn English if she kept cutting corners like that... And yet Latin was almost all she had left of her Mother and Imperium's legacy. The dissonance made her sick, and the small woman cringed at she tried to reason within herself, momentarily forgetting that the child was there. Suddenly, purple eyes fell back to Amal, taking in the woman before looking back up at the sky at the stars,

"Mother tell story of old pack, where when die, become a new star in night sky," a glance back to red child, sorrow in her eyes, "was looking for her star..." The message was clear, and though it was not said in obvious words, it had been the first time Iaera had verbally admitted she knew Style was dead. It's sudden gravity hit her like a freight train, suddenly all the bones in her chest felt broken and she gasped raggedly, pained eyes trying to bite back tears. There was someone else here now, she had to pull it together.

ooc; working on a new post format. idk yet.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 09:49:05 PM by Iaera [rp] »
#CEA980

.profile.
.played by eclipse.

Offline Amalthea.

• Gemini
  • Initiate
  • I wanna know
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 07:15:25 PM »
With any and every second that might tick by as Amalthea await a response the girl would have to all but physically bite her tongue to keep from blurting out anything that could make things worse. There was no rush, no need to know without even a pause to breathe much less think, and Thea would chastise herself harshly for the sudden rush of needing to know she felt in her bones. Relax, Thea, and just hope the other girl would miss the slow and deliberate exhaling of breath. Luckily, there wasn't time enough for her to actually start fidgeting or anything to that effect (small favors...).

Mater? As soon as the word was spoken Amalthea would all but curiously roll it over in her mind as though to better understand it; not that it wasn't clear enough even without the explanation proving her idea right. But still her head would tilt with undeniable curiosity as she mouthed it silently to herself before asking, "What kind of word is that?" Though her tone was noticeably lacking the same bluntness her very first words had held. "Are there more like it?" What if there were hundreds of other words like that she'd never even heard of? Amalthea's eyes would grow just the slightest bit larger as she continued without a pause, "Can you tell me any?" Or all of them. Yeah, she liked the sound of that very much indeed.

She wasn't so rude, however, as to completely ignore everything else her new acquaintance had to say though and Thea would easily enough focus her attention there as well. Instead her eyes would lift to the sky with a small huh sound as she considered the idea presented. It seemed unlikely to her, but then again she couldn't really know for sure and maybe she had some stars of her own up there somewhere. "Do you think that's really what happens to us?" And even if it wasn't, well, it was a nice idea if she were being honest with herself.

Amalthea
Played by Tanta

Offline Iaera [rp]

• [the nymph]
  • Gemini
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 04:11:44 PM »
[i a e r a]
ooc; worked out the new format finally lol.

Iaera could have cut the discomfort between her and Amalthea with a knife, sliced it up neatly and served it with crackers and grapes on a party tray. Hurt seared in her throat, and she was unendingly embarrassed to have been caught crying. She was supposed to be trying to toughen up, trying to get used to this whole... pack and making friends concept. Nobody wanted to be friends with a crybaby, and that's what she was being right now. She had to get that under control, of course that was easier said than done for someone as emotional as Iaera. The tiny Whisper cleared her throat, sniffling softly as the Latin woman looked at Amal, considering her more closely this time. The woman was made up of pretty colors, ruddy reds and off browns, eyes to match. Another soft sniffle, paws wiping away tears as they fell. Her composure was lost, but it seemed that when she spoke, the woman's eyes suddenly sparkled to interest. Apparently she had met another who had never heard a foreign language spoken, and the Whisper smiled softly, face still wet from crying.

The words that came next were much more conversational in tone, that immediately made the tan and gray wolfdog more comfortable. "Yah, est ah, Latin. Est another language. So ah, as many words as you know, give-take some." Again, Iaera wasn't super good at phrases like that, give OR take, here AND there, they usually ended up as one word. The curiosity made her feel flattered, finally someone that was interested in her Latin instead of looking at her with confusion or anger. Finally! A soft smile and she lowed her head, like a shy girl looking at the other wolf. "When was little, was ah, not good place live at. Was no allow to be free, tie up, sad. Mater, teach Latin first, so to talk in secret, plan away, escape. She start teach English but ah, was no to be able to finish..." Iaera trailed off softly and looked back to the sky for a moment, studying the stars once more.

"Plenty of words yeah, we start with easy? Hmmm, ah, Mater, mother. Pater, father. Liberi child, filia and filius, girl and boy child. Frater and soror, brother and sister. Ego is I, tu, you for one, vos, you for more. Meus, my. Ah..." she searched for more basic ones she could purr to Amalthea, one she already knew the opposite for. "Bonus, good," she might recognize that word, some English words were based in  other languages after all, "malus, bad." She had more, but she'd leave off there for now, to see how she'd react to the new information. The small woman would puff up lightly, wrapping her tail tighter around her paws, looking up at the sky again as the little HATE child asked if she truly believed the mythology. A soft hmm escaped her lips and she thought about it,

"Ah, not always. Mother believe with all heart, is nice to think though.." She'd look down to Amalthea, "Sometimes is good to have something to believe." And if not, at least she had something to look forward to. 

#CEA980

.profile.
.played by eclipse.

Offline Amalthea.

• Gemini
  • Initiate
  • I wanna know
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 07:02:40 PM »
Give-take? No, Thea couldn't say she really knew what that meant but she was nothing if not able to nod along as though she totally understood everything. Totally. But hey, she could always figure it out. But Latin, eh? Amalthea didn't really care what it was called but it was probably a good thing to know. Of course now there was even more to be curious about and without so much as a look for permission Thea would sit down to listen to this new lady's (potential friend's?) story only to wince at the very idea of not having her freedom. Sure she might not do all that much with it in comparison to say some of her siblings, but it was still hers to have. "You got free though didn't you?" Obviously something had to have happened since she was here not there.

How dutifully the girl would try to follow along, echoing back each word as it was spoken and hoping she was close enough in her pronunciations not to be a complete embarrassment. They were odd on her tongue, as should come as no surprise to anyone, but once through them she would look up with a hopeful smile as though to ask 'did I do okay?' "Latin," she would say almost more to herself than anyone else, "I like it!"

"It's not easy believing in things sometimes," and doesn't she know it..."But it would be nice to think that there's something out there for us after everything you know?" And only after a moment of gazing up quietly would a thought strike her, "Oops, I never introduced myself did I?" No, no she did not. "I'm Amalthea, but you can call me Thea if you want." Either one worked for her really.

Amalthea
Played by Tanta

Offline Iaera [rp]

• [the nymph]
  • Gemini
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 01:51:11 PM »
[i a e r a]
ooc; I guessed Amal's age cause her profile says unborn still.

As she began to tell her story the girl settled down to listen, a look on her face when Iaera spoke of being tied up and allowed no freedom caught the wolfdog's attention. And sure enough shortly after trailing off it seemed Amalthea would ask a question, she got free though somehow. For several moments Iaera simply looked at Amal with a calm, yet sad expression, the tears had finally dried up but the pain was still stinging under the surface like thousands of angry wasps. "Yes," she croaked softly to the child, old enough to understand the gravity of things, old enough to understand her guilt-- or at least Iaera felt guilty, whether it was true or not--. "My mater, she made plan, one night we go and run, break out of ropes," she'd start, motioning to her neck, where she had been tied, rubbing it slightly with her paw. The pain of the tight rope was still there, thankfully she'd finally grown fur to cover where it had once rubbed her bald and then raw. The Whisper gulped hard then, "I was ah, close to you age," a nod to the girl who seemed to be almost a yearling. Iaera had been eight months old.

"We run, I was young, did no realize the real plan," a frown pulled onto her face and she looked back up at the sky, searching for another shooting star, looking for comfort. "they come after, chase, bite, claw..." if one could feel the scars beneath her pelt they would realize what a brutal attack it had truly been. "Mater tell me run, fast, far, never ever ever look back, she would come too later." The last sentence was forced between bared teeth and narrowed eyes, hackles raised, clear anger in her expression. "She stayed; fight, make them after her and no me. I just keep running. I just never look back. Should have KNOWN, should have stayed with mater. HELPED MATER." She was shaking slightly, ears pinned hard against her head, violet eyes fighting tears again,

"Mater never come."

Mother was dead. It was her fault, she could have stayed to help, maybe they both could have gone free. But she shook it away as the child asked about her language, it was nice to dole some of it out, after having kept it to herself for so long. It eased the tension in her muscles, reminded her of home. As the ruddy girl repeated them back, she nodded affirmatively at them, slightly mispronounced but that was as it was when one first learned a new language. When she was finished Iaera would speak, "Est good to have.  Can use for secrets, like mater did. Can also use if ever meet some who speak only Latin." Iaera was close to that description, but it was true, the ability to be bilingual had it's benefits in many ways.

When they discussed the idea of faith and believing in things unseen, the Hate child seemed interested though skeptical. "Gives for to look forward to," a soft nod to her, "if there is nothing, then will never know was wrong." Though she hoped not, she hoped to see her mother again one day. But the thought was interrupted by Amalthea's introduction, "Ah! Sorry. Est nice to meet Amalthea, est Iaera."

« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 01:51:30 PM by Iaera [rp] »
#CEA980

.profile.
.played by eclipse.

Offline .eclipse.

• Hero
  • Liked: 491
  • Likes Given: 470
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2017, 08:43:01 PM »
ooc| smol bump