Author Topic: it's time to do or die [open][tw]  (Read 265 times)

Offline Addereon

• Tortuga
  • Apprentice
  • "Don't be shy, sweet thing."
  • Liked: 32
  • Likes Given: 32
it's time to do or die [open][tw]
« on: May 12, 2017, 11:19:54 AM »
ooc: TW is for non-graphic description of tanning a hide. I don't go into detail about him skinning animals or his real process, 'cause that's gross,
 but that is what's happening here lol. Also do not worry about matching this post in length, I tend to get a lil carried away with starters!

Addereon was a tireless sort of guy. He didn't like lounging around and doing nothing, he liked to have direction, he liked to work. The trouble was, Tortuga had just about all it needed. They had treasures, a capable crew, slaves when it called for it, crafters and artisans and liquor. The gold-toned lion felt out of place amongst a sea of others who knew exactly what they were doing all day. Political alliances, having children, watching children, fishing, hunting, training. Everyone seemed to have something to do except him.

And, well. That wasn't going to work for him. Without a job of his own, he instead elected to put himself to work using the talents he'd showed up to the lands with. He prowled the jungles, figured out how he could better himself as a hunter, and bettered himself. He retrieved nick-knacks for the crafters, dropping them off anonymously outside their dens, then watching from afar as they worked. He tried to take everything in; learn as much as he could.

He hunted. When he wasn't hungry, he stripped the carcass and brought it to the heart of the territory for others to eat, even if it was something as small and simple as a hare or raccoon. The pelts, though, those he took with him. Tortuga had it's own salt mines, which made the process of tanning hides much easier for him.

He'd taken up station just down from the mines on a beach littered with rocky outcroppings. One in particular he found useful was long and flat, perfect for stretching the pelts out over it and covering them with salt he hauled back from the mines. The process took a while, but eventually, with enough patience and salt, he had a perfectly tanned hide ready and waiting to be turned to something soft and supple, to line a den or use as a blanket for warmth.

The comfort wasn't really necessary, not with how warm it was here, but it was a luxury to sleep on pelts instead of in the dirt, regardless. Personally he preferred to sleep outside, either in a tree or in an alcove, so he had no real use for the pelts himself, but the repetitiveness of the process was what appealed to him. It was work, someone would appreciate it, and he knew how to do it well.

He had three pelts waiting in queue to work on at present; an okapi he'd caught only just, and two unfortunate hares. He worked on the okapi first, knowing the larger pelt would take him the most time and effort, and give him the most gain in the end. It had short, course fur, but it was vibrantly patterned, something he was sure one of the treasure-loving wolves would love.

Should someone approach, they would find the lion sprawled out atop the cured hide, a sharp-edged rock held between his paws, working it diligently back and forth over the tough hide until it turned a lighter color, softened. He was only about a fifth of the way through with it, but the progress was enough to leave him in a relatively good mood for visitors; especially if they praised him on his work.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 11:27:07 AM by Addereon »

I'm out of my head
Of my heart, and my mouth
Cause you can run
But you can't hide
I'm gonna make you
mine

Offline Scylla~

• Tortuga
  • Initiate
  • Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: it's time to do or die [open][tw]
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 03:09:21 AM »

The sound of the waves crashing against the seashore and all of the rocks jutting out of the sand along the beach was like a pleasant symphony to the woman's ears. She danced atop the sand in graceful strides, leaving small paw-marks that slowly filled with water, only to be washed away by an eager wave rushing in. The sensation of the water colliding with her ankles and legs was very pleasing. It was one of those things that she just thoroughly enjoyed without having any real reason to, or any idea why beyond 'it feels good'. Maybe that was all the reason she needed, though.

Gulls called shrilly overhead, coasting on the updrafts and searching for fish floating just a little too close to the surface. Scylla had witnessed some of the birds actually diving down into the water, resurfacing later with beaks full of little silver fish. Man, talk about over-achieving, right? Maybe the bird was feeding their family and needed all they could grab. The thought of family drew forth a very uncomfortable feeling in the woman's chest -- what an uneasy topic that was. Monique dead, Vor and Bloor and Jonah all lost to the winds, phantoms in their own right. Richter was just about the only sibling that remained an active part of Tortuga, and Scylla didn't even see him that often.

Then again, it wasn't as though she had really been making much of an effort to do so in the first place.

For a brief moment Scylla wondered where her mother was, and how she was feeling. Dixie had been troubled after Monique's death, and like the crapty daughter that she was, Scylla hadn't even bothered to seek her mother out and console her. She hadn't been there for any of her siblings.. and if the wolfdog was being honest with herself, she really didn't feel that bad about it. Why should she? After all, if they had wanted her presence, they could have called for her, right? Scylla scoffed, rolling her eyes. Of course she was right.

The scent of a feline wafted into her nose on the salty breeze, putting the Spectre on edge. The scent was Tortugan, but Scylla hadn't met very many cats in her lifetime. How did they act? Curious but cautious, Scylla made her way towards the scent, eventually coming upon a large cat with a great furry mane. It appeared as though he had some kind of animal skin draped over a rock, doing something to it - Scylla couldn't tell what. Not knowing ignited the small flame of frustration; she had to figure out what he was doing. But, at the same time, the wolf was a bit.. apprehensive to approach something so large and intimidating.

If he's a pack mate, you'll be okay, don't be a little bitch, Scylla told herself, forcing her paws to take her closer to the lion. She closed the distance between them quickly, long legs making quick work of it. "What is it you're doing there?" Scylla asked as she approached, her ears perked forward with interest. Normally, she wasn't one for small talk, but.. her first lion encounter, and he was doing something weird!

A double-whammy was just simply too much to ignore.

⚓ PIRATE SPECTRE ⚓

Her lute hangs shadowed in the apple-tree,
While flashing fingers weave the sweet-strung spell
Between its chords; and as the wild notes swell,
The sea-bird for those branches leaves the sea.
But to what sound her listening ear stoops she?
What netherworld gulf-whispers doth she hear,
In answering echoes from what planisphere,
Along the wind, along the estuary?

- by Dante  Gabriel Rosetti, A Sea-Spell

Offline Addereon

• Tortuga
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 07:55:06 PM »

Adder's head tilted in the direction he heard footsteps coming from, but only slightly. He remained focused on the task at hand--it could've been someone passing by, and if they didn't want to interact with him, he certainly didn't intend on initiating contact. He was perfectly content to lay on the beach the whole day, sanding at the pelt until it was soft and velvety and ready to be used or sold. He was getting fairly good at it.

"What is it you're doing there?"

Came a feminine voice, his brown ears swiveling to the sound long before his head turned to her. He gave her a not-so-subtle once-over, then nodded his head toward the pelt. "Softening the hide." He gestured to the still unfinished portion of it, scratching at it lightly with a single claw to show that it was tough. "So it can be used as a rug or bedding, wall ornament, whatever," He explained easily, shrugging gigantic shoulders. "Come feel the difference." He offered amiably, hoisting himself up into a sitting position.

He was surprised at the size of her; she stood only a bit more than a foot smaller than him. One of the largest wolves he'd met by far. It didn't deter him though; if anything, he was more interested now that he'd realized it. What a cute blue nose, too. "What's a cute thing like you doing over on this deserted beach today?" He rumbled curiously, one eyebrow quirked.

He wasn't displeased at the visit, but he had to admit it was a bit strange. The beach wasn't his, of course, but he'd chosen it because it seemed as though many of the wolves seemed to avoid it for whatever reason. Perhaps the large shapes he could see drifting along the waves in the distance. It'd certainly kept him out of the waters, which was a feat in and of itself; the alligators in the waters back in his old pride hadn't even been able to deter him.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 11:26:30 AM by Addereon »

I'm out of my head
Cause you can run
But you can't hide
I'm gonna make you
mine

Offline Scylla~

• Tortuga
  • Initiate
  • Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 10:44:12 PM »

"Softening the hide. So it can be used as a rug or bedding, wall ornament, whatever. Come feel the difference."

Scylla's eyes narrowed as he looked her over openly, but decided that causing a problem wasn't worth it. Instead, she did the same, marshwater eyes inspecting the lion closely. His explanation was suitable, but drew forth more questions and curiosity from the spectre. Wary as she was, Scylla was still insanely curious - white paws took the wolfdog forward, turquoise nose poking towards the hide. It smelled strange, different than a usual hide. It smelled like.. whatever he had used to mess with it, she supposed.

It was soft against her nose, and when she drew her pawpads gently across the surface, she was surprised to feel just how lush it really was. "Wow," she couldn't help but say, voice low and airy with wonder. It was as soft as the fur on baby rabbits, but smooth. How neat! "And you did this? How?" the spectre asked as she turned to face him, eyes alight with genuine interest. It had always fascinated her, thinking of how the crafters of Tortuga wove different materials together to create such wonderful things. Her mother had told her of humans, strange two-legged creatures that could create things far beyond the ability of most wolves. At least, that had been the case - the wolves of Tortuga were learning constantly.

"What's a cute thing like you doing over on this deserted beach today?" 'Cute thing', huh? Pretending not to notice the compliment, Scylla turned her mosswater gaze to the crashing waves, staring at them for a short moment in silence. "The beach is my favorite place here," the wolfdog answered. "I love watching the waves." It was the truth; Scylla absolutely adored the beach, the ocean being one of her favorite things of all time.

"Why choose here of all places to do that?" Scylla inquired, waving a paw at the hide. It was certainly a strange place to do that - did the moisture in the air not mess with it? She had no idea, really - perhaps she would ask him about that.

One question at a time, though, she thought to herself as a grin slid across her muzzle.

⚓ PIRATE SPECTRE ⚓

Her lute hangs shadowed in the apple-tree,
While flashing fingers weave the sweet-strung spell
Between its chords; and as the wild notes swell,
The sea-bird for those branches leaves the sea.
But to what sound her listening ear stoops she?
What netherworld gulf-whispers doth she hear,
In answering echoes from what planisphere,
Along the wind, along the estuary?

- by Dante  Gabriel Rosetti, A Sea-Spell

Offline Addereon

• Tortuga
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 11:30:03 AM »

"Wow,"

Adder couldn't quite keep the swelling of pride from his posture, but he did his best. He didn't brag often--there was never really any need for it, no one ever believed you when you boasted your own accomplishments--but it felt good to be validated anyway.

"And you did this? How?"

"It's not too hard," He started truthfully, "Once you've got the pelt separated you just have to dry it out and then scrape away the tough parts," That was the part of the process that took the longest, though, because you couldn't half-ass it. You could half-ass the skinning and just end up with a smaller than usual pelt; if you half-assed this part of the process, you'd end up with something patchy and uncomfortable, and completely useless. "I can show you how, if you want."

He'd given thought to being a crafter, actually joining those ranks, but he didn't really have the patience for it besides as a hobby. It would be a good way to make extra strips on the side, sure, but did he really need them? He could make just about anything he wanted to buy himself, and he didn't have much interest in slaves or whelps, or at least, none had shown up to bring him any interest yet. He let a small smirk crawl across his lips as she looked him over as well, continuing.

"The beach is my favorite place here,"

They had that much in common, at least.

"I love watching the waves."

"That makes two of us," He hummed, resettling so that he was more comfortable while he worked. "We didn't have anything like this where I came from. A few large lakes with shorelines, sure, but no seas. No ocean." They'd been completely landlocked by mountains, isolated away from the rest of the world.

"Why choose here of all places to do that?"

Normally, he'd be annoyed by all the questions, but Scylla was a pretty girl and he was in a good mood from his work being praised. "The beach is the only place where the jungle isn't as dense. I need the sun to shine down on the pelt to dry it out properly, and good lighting so I can see what I'm doing." He shrugged, gesturing a way down the beach to the cliffs that jutted out over the water. "I also live over there."

I'm out of my head
Cause you can run
But you can't hide
I'm gonna make you
mine