Author Topic: Night of the Lotus Eaters [PRP Rine] [Ring III]  (Read 270 times)

Offline Chrysaor

• I'm afraid to open my eyes--
  • Saboro
  • Apprentice
  • I'd see that every flower is diseased.
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 9
Night of the Lotus Eaters [PRP Rine] [Ring III]
« on: May 03, 2017, 11:38:00 PM »
ooc: takes place at Estein's grave (Naviti's tree). sorry about my rustiness!

On rare occasions that the well-traversed second ring became too tiresome, Chrysaor wandered into the third ring. After the flood, she started taking these trips with greater frequency, venturing to where the vegetation was most plentiful. Not only was she given uninhibited access due to her tattoos, but she was also in possession of a middle class rank which, even disregarding her tattoos, was an accomplishment worthy of acknowledgment.

Chrysaor meandered aimlessly, committing the alterations to the terrain to memory.  There was no specific purpose to her journey other than to become reacquainted with a Saboro that had changed beyond recognition. Patches of trees had been bulldozed by metric tons of volcanic sludge, and the earth beneath reawakened as empty fields, raw and naked like bald spots on a disheveled head. She couldn't follow the faraway lull of fairysong between destinations, either. No frolicking fairies pranced in circles around toadstools.

That, she couldn't blame on the eruption. There had been no specific catalyst. As Chrysaor had aged and grown, Meria's voice had become fainter and fainter, like a sad song in the distance. Chrysaor was forced to view the world through a different quality of light, and it was for the first time that she realized how much of her life she had spent with her gaze dragging along the forest floor.

Through pure happenstance, Chrys came upon a grove surrounded by dark trees. It was open and barren of trees, aside from one towering mass that loomed over thatches of golden grasses. Chrysaor approached, mesmerized, and came to a stop in the great shadow of Naviti's tree. The pallid bark of the tree and its flowering purple limbs were unlike anything she had ever witnessed in Saboro, and she realized -- this tree was not so alien to her. She was stricken with the recollection of lavender trees blooming on Inarian grounds, suffused in perpetual sunset. Somehow, one of Inaria's great Jacarandas had found its way to Saboro, and even more remarkably, it had managed to thrive in a tropical climate.

Flickerings of light out the corners of her eyes. Chrysaor turned her head in its direction, and realized that a great radiance of fireflies had been awoken by her arrival, and were now flitting aimlessly through the air. There were so many of them -- perhaps more than she had seen in the poppy fields.

Maybe the fireflies knew something about this place that she did not.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 10:12:37 AM by Chrysaor »
      Orphan girl, child, sing along
Stop the slaughter of our daughters
Poisoning the water
(Do you have love for humankind?)

Heartstrings broken, wearily tuned to the moon
Bastard widows born marooned

Nameless, faceless black-eyed soul
Slave to sorrow, find your way home

[ #FFBCD9 ] | played by Sunblink.
   » tracker

Offline Rine

• Son of Flynn
  • Regular
  • Liked: 9
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Night of the Lotus Eaters [PRP Rine] [Ring III]
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 03:08:05 AM »
A mission was in his mind as heavy, somber paws traveled towards the destination, to a place he had yet to venture to. Perhaps it was out of fear, or regret, or grief. If he was honest with himself, it was likely all the above. He knew the location, he had heard from his distant family in quiet whispers between cries.

He moved begrudgingly closer, and the closer he got, the heavier his heart became. Rine swallowed, choking down a quiet sob. Pausing to collect himself, drawing in a deep and unsteady breath. Oh how he had missed her, despite spending much of their lives at each others throats. How he wished to take back everything, to redo their whole life together. Mismatched eyes would shut, but his mind would wander to what could have been. Seeking comfort in a fantasy world, just for a moment, where they were together as proper brother and sister, two loving siblings, happy and far away from the horrors of Saboro.

It was short lived, however, as he continued on his trek. It wasn't long until he reached the outskirts of the area where she was laid to rest. Rine's eyes happened upon the sparkling and glimmering of fireflies, and for a moment, it brought him happiness in a time where sorrow and darkness reigned. He would even smile, briefly, as he remembered that evening with Chrysaor in the poppy field. It made him happy that they gathered here too, maybe Estein could see them from wherever she was now.

As he drew closer, he finally saw what had disturbed the fireflies from their resting spots in the long grasses. The sight stopped him in a certain disbelief. He never would have thought that Chrys would be here, not with the jungle as deep and vast as it was. But yet again, she was all he could see among a sea of golden glitter against a darkened backdrop. And he smiled.

"Chrysaor.." Finally moving towards her, his limp apparent. It was unlikely he'd ever walk without one to some degree. The leg had been shattered and he was lucky to have any function of it. "What brings you here?" The ginger's sorrow wasn't completely overridden by the happy surprise of finding her here, of all places. And he knew that she'd somehow pick up on it, whether in his voice or by the splashes of color she had once confided in him about.

Fireflies circled around them, wrapping them in a blanket of flickering stars. Mismatched eyes left Chrys for a moment, taking in the beauty of their surroundings. If only his sister could see this... And eyes drifted down and towards where she lay. Swallowing hard, and biting his tongue.

Eyes looked up at Chrysaor's, and as hard as he tried, he couldn't hide the grief behind them, not totally. "I'm sorry." He didn't want to ruin such a beautiful moment for her because of the colors she might be faced with. "I didn't expect anyone to be here."

"This is a place I've avoided for some time..." He whispered, just loud enough to be heard.

"I'm glad that it's you."

-Profile-

So wake me up when it's all over
When I'm wiser and I'm older
All this time I was finding myself
And I didn't know I was lost

RP'd by Six & Co.

Offline Chrysaor

• Saboro
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 02:01:17 PM »
As Chrysaor observed the field under the fireflies' combined illumination, she realized that she was not alone. The ginger dog-mix's distinct red colors were washed out in the light, but his words were still that bold and distinguished sanguine. (Bold, at first, but then when she blinked, she noticed that they were muddied -- peculiar.)

"Rine?" she asked, perking at the sight of her friend. She hadn't seen him since before the eruption, and had learned through the Herbalists that oversaw her recovery that he had been among the people keep watch during her unconsciousness. She never had an opportunity to thank him for being there.

Chrysaor explained herself as she approached him. "I just... came here. I found it by myself." She shrugged demurely. "I didn't know that there was a place like this. I don't really... leave the second ring, unless I have to..."

If Rine were anyone else, she would have apologized for intruding and even for speaking at all, but because there was familiarity between them, there was a certain confidence in her voice that otherwise did not exist. As if she could explain herself without immediately feeling that the words that left her mouth were stupid and thoughtless. However, she could not keep her eyes trained on his for long, and every so often, her gaze would flicker from his face to the ground, or the dancing cluster of lights.

Oblivious as Chrysaor was, even she recognized that it was peculiar when it was Rine who faltered, not herself. His stare sunk to an unknown point beneath the tree's shade, which to him, denoted his sister's grave; to Chrysaor, it was nothing more than a barren patch of earth. She realized the sorrow in his eyes.

Not that hideous shade of p u r p l e, exactly, but its hue distorted the natural carmine shade of his words, making them prickle, roseate; hinting at something that lurked behind the careful neutrality of his tone. I'm sorry, he murmured, words that once blazed incarnadine drooling to the ground like inkwell puddles of indigo. Rine had tried to hide what his words would reveal, knowing that certain hues upset her. Unfortunately for him, that was not something that could be consciously disguised.

"Why?" Chrysaor tilted her head. It was obvious in that moment that she had no idea what significance this place held to not only Rine, but the rest of his family. "What's the matter?"

The quieter his voice became, the brighter his colors burned. Pink-purple-red swirling together in confused watercolor, coagulating, throbbing like a dying heartbeat. Not everyone enjoyed having a complete stranger prying into their personal affairs, which was why Chrysaor often did not interfere. Privacy was a boundary that she barely understood herself, especially when people's secrets could be read so clearly. Thankfully, she and Rine were not strangers, and seeing him so miserable, trying to hide it for her sake, upset her.

"Why are you so sad?" Chrysaor asked, quietly. "What's wrong?"
Poisoning the water

» tracker

Offline Rine

• Son of Flynn
  • Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 06:05:26 PM »
"It is beautiful." Rine looked around, at the fireflies, the glade, the tree. It truly was a lovely spot. Perfect for his sister, someone who was so very tired of it all. "A good reason to wander out of the second ring." At least for her. For him, there would always be a part of him that would look upon this place with sadness or anger.

Why? What's the matter?

For a moment, he remained quiet, collecting his thoughts. He tried to think of how he should say it, if he should say it at all. "It's just this spot. Lots of emotion and full of lifelong regrets." So much so that it hurt inside, his chest seemingly so very tight around his heart and lungs. He sat, his face twinging at the brief but sharp pain in his leg. Even though he nearly matched his father's size, muscular and strong, he seemed to feel so very small right now.

Why are you so sad? What's wrong?

Mismatched eyes stared for what felt like an eternity at the barren soil that marked her grave. They danced around taking in the subtle details that most others wouldn't even notice. How the small pebbles mottled the dirt, how a few sprouts of grass and vegetation just started to poke through, lifting the soil up to make way for new life.

"This is where my sister is buried...." Rine blurted, almost unknowingly. And could feel himself becoming even smaller against the heaviness of the world. His front paws crawled away from him as he slumped to the ground. Both ears lowered, and his eyelids slid shut so slowly. Uttering those words for the first time aloud caused the full realization to come crashing down on him. It flooded over him and his body shuddered against it.

All his regrets and heartaches regarding his sister, his family washed over this battle-broken body. "I... I wasn't a good brother. But I still.. I still miss her." Just as he missed his father, and even though he refused to admit it, his mother too.

-Profile-

RP'd by Six & Co.

Offline Chrysaor

• Saboro
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 05:44:04 PM »
"It's just this spot," Rine said, and Chrysaor knew this admission to be a lie because the purple was creeping into his voice where it previously had not. Chrysaor flinched, immediately taken aback, and wondered what compelled Rine to resort to such deception.

Her next question, however, elicited honesty that she was not prepared for. Rine paused, ruminating (silence crackled like colorless static; silence had a prickled edge to it), and at last confessed: "This is where my sister is buried..." His words were darker -- red, still; a solemn, dark red, like curtains draping a king's funeral. The slight hitch of a gasp that caught involuntarily in Chrysaor's throat twinged pink-purple.

During their meeting at the poppy fields, Rine had confided in Chrys about some aspects of his family history, but he had only made mention of his traitorous mother and father. Not his dearly departed sister -- and if they were estranged, that explained his reasons for excluding her. "I'm so sorry," Chrysaor blurted, trying to tamp down the urge to apologize for how pathetic that apology sounded.

Aware now that these grounds served as such a revered resting spot, Chrysaor tucked her paws closer to her, as if concerned she would desecrate it with her careless footfalls. Rine's next words almost stole the breath from her, but it was only for a second, because her response left her mouth immediately. "No, I'm-- I'm sure that isn't true at all. I'm sure that she didn't think that." Chrysaor shook her head.

She couldn't imagine Rine behaving in a way that would make his own flesh and blood hate him. Not like-- not like her. The realization was acidic green on Chrysaor's tongue. She thought of the jealousy and unwarranted hatred that welled in her at seeing Oriana achieve the success and adoration she always craved, and how persistently that hatred burned even behind the corrosive guilt. Wasn't Oriana's duty hard enough as it was? She had been forced to maim their own brother. She had been forced to stand by as the Sabor sentenced her own son, and even now endured the turmoil of her fractured family.

As Chrys spun in indecision and resentment, weaving herself her wretched web, Oriana's enemies lined up behind her back with knives poised. And perhaps one day, Chrysaor, too, would be standing here, mourning the opportunities that had been lost.

It always took another person's problems to bring her own into perspective.

"You're here now," Chrysaor said, "That... that matters. I think she knows." A little uncomfortably, she thought of something more substantial to say. "Could you tell me about her? What she was like?"

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 05:45:46 PM by Chrysaor »
Poisoning the water

» tracker

Offline Rine

• Son of Flynn
  • Regular
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 03:29:49 PM »
It felt as if the world had something against his lineage, past, present, and future. Some invisible ill-will against the line of Flynn. Was it the metaphorical black virus that seemed to infect his father? Did it infect him and his sister too? It was hard to think otherwise.

Rine knew he was a bad brother, and Chrysaor deserved to know it. "I was... Old grudges and resentments made sure of that." But he carefully hid the deeper reason, the one that involved Coven's rise to Sabor. Perhaps she'd see the misguidance, painted as a vivid color across his very face. Rine just wasn't ready to drop that bombshell at the moment, perhaps he would eventually... But now wasn't the time.

You're here now. That.. that matters. I think she knows.

"I suppose." He mumbled, not truly believing it. "I'd like to think that." Spoken a bit hopeful but still dripping with mourning and grief. The ginger's mid-section expanded as he drew in a long, deep breath; contracting as he exhaled slowly. Repeat several times. Rine gathered himself once more, regaining at least some of his composure. "I'm sorry for... that." Apologizing for showing his sadness and placing her in such an uncomfortable position.

Rine tilted his head slightly at her next question however. "Her name was Estein. She was the Peregrine for a while. And she used to be so fiery and stubborn. Extremely temperamental when she was younger. But when she got older, and had children, she seemed to even out. But I think she was just so tired of it all." Maybe that was the true cause of death... Perhaps she was just too tired to fight back. Deep down, he knew he was at least a part of the reason if that was the case.

"When we were younger, she preferred our mother, and I stayed with my father. So we were pretty different from the beginning. It only got worse as we got older." Head turned away, a silent apology for turning the moment back to a somber one. Rine would shift back to a more amusing note, at least for him. "But damn if you crossed her, you'd better wish she was feeling merciful that day. Otherwise you'd be missing something in a split second." He chuckled a bit, remembering just how off-the-handle she could be at one point.

"And boy, did she love her children. I'm glad for that, considering our parents weren't really... the best at that." The ginger found himself thinking, momentarily, if he'd be able to do what she did, despite the predisposition of 'crapty parenting skills'. "I wish I could tell her just how much I admired her for that."

He'd look back to her, mismatched eyes took in mottled features as they wavered ever so slightly to and fro. And sorrow melted into a feeling of warmth and to some extent, happiness. "Chrysaor... I'm really glad you're here. Thank you." Had it been anyone else, it was likely he would've turned away and might not have gathered the strength to actually return.

Rine smiled then, it was small, but sheepish. "I find I feel happier when you're around. Even when I'm a mess.." He wasn't sure how he'd be if he came here and was so completely alone.

-Profile-

RP'd by Six & Co.

Offline Chrysaor

• Saboro
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 11:49:02 PM »
Chrysaor's praise fell on deaf ears. Rine quietly refuted her meager words of consolation, insisting that he was a bad brother, despite her protestations. Chrysaor frowned in slight consternation, but offered no further commentary, not wanting to argue against his reasoning. Even if she believed, deep down, that Rine was a good brother - or at least a better sibling than herself, who pettily fostered her grudges in private and watched the misfortunes accumulate in Oriana's life without an ounce of sympathy - she supposed that even good people such as Rine could be blinded by their prejudices. In Chrysaor's mind, the only thing that mattered was that he intended to atone for his mistakes in the present day, even if Estein was not alive to appreciate it.

For whatever reason, Chrysaor did not immediately pinpoint the deception in Rine's words as he meekly agreed with her, saying something to assuage her without spurring on that line of conversation. The purple in the backdrop of his tone alluded more to loss, not skepticism. Regardless of his lack of judgment, Chrysaor immediately regretted sharing such a personal aspect of her beliefs, even if it was within the company of someone she trusted. The idea of life after death felt so childish, as if she were trying to erase the permanence of death. Rotting Knife's body, Sappara, now Estein -- maybe they conferred in the meadows of the afterlife, where the light brought everything into golden clarity.

Chrysaor shook her head. "Don't apologize. You don't have to apologize," she stated reassuringly. How peculiar that she would be the one to say that.

When Rine stopped to collect his thoughts, cobbling together childhood memories in a hasty, chapter-by-chapter retelling of Estein's storied life, he continued with a tale that would no doubt make the Peregrine glow with pride. Chrysaor listened to every word intently. The woman he described was a passionate one she had been unfortunate not to meet, devoted to kith and kin. His story was so lavishly detailed and involved that Chrysaor could almost vicariously believe that she knew the ex-Peregrine, though she never did. When her incandescent life was extinguished, her flame swept away by the Crane's anguished bellow of NOT MY MAMA, Chrysaor had grappled with her own feelings of inferiority beside her more accomplished sisters.

Preference for the mother over the father, however -- Chrysaor could not relate.

Rine's next admission, that he wished he could express his admiration to her in person, sparked an idea she was hesitant to speak aloud. Quietly and uncertainly, Chrysaor put forward her proposal. "What if... you told her now? Pretend she can hear it," Chrysaor said in hushed tones, voice dropping lower and lower as anxiety crept closer. The self-consciousness was almost overwhelming when she forced out an apology, muttering, "It's just something I -- do it sometimes. For my half-sister and-- a few other people I didn't... get to meet, before they were taken."

Chrysaor's eyes flicked up at Rine's smiling face, summoned from the forest floor by the rosy relief in his tone. She mustered a soft smile of her own, at first disbelievingly perusing the flashing colors to ensure no twinge of purple tainted these kind sentiments, and satisfying herself with overwhelming relief that his sincerity was spelled out for her to read. She checked the words again and again within the fraction of a second, each sentence burning across her corneas like sunspots before fading. No purple-- only regal maroon.

Chrysaor shuffled her paws, glowing quietly with glee, but uncertain how to reciprocate. "Thank you," she said, sounding maybe a bit flustered. "I-- um, you make me happy too. I don't have a lot of... um, friends, but I'm glad I have you because-- before that I didn't.. have a lot. Calico, my friend, I haven't seen her around and she might've fallen somewhere I don't know." She kept spitting out the words before she could think of how pathetic they made her sound, wrangling control of her reckless mouth just in time to utter another, "I'm--I'm glad that you're my friend. Thank you."
Poisoning the water

» tracker

Offline Rine

• Son of Flynn
  • Regular
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 10:43:44 PM »
Rine unintentionally watched Chrysaor; watching how the mottling moved with each expression or word, or how her fur appeared smooth. Once he realized he wasn't sure just how long he'd been staring he blinked his gaze away. It was funny how she could put him under a spell just by sitting there. The ginger would glance at her occasionally, but kept mindful of just how long his gaze would linger.

But that mindfulness would blow away in the breeze as she started to stumble over what she said next. Rine watched her, a soft, gentle smile crept up the corners of his mouth. "I think that's a good idea.." He'd reassure her, his mismatched eyes focused on her, but they held no judgment against her ideas or thoughts, just warmth. "Don't be ashamed, you do not have to hide yourself from me."

Rine shifted his view to the disturbed soil that marked his sister's grave, drew in a breath for thought, and just started to speak. "Estein... I'm sorry, I'm so sorry. I wish I could turn back time and work harder at being a better brother. I wish I could have saved our entire family." He stood, taking a few steps closer to the patch of dirt. "I hope you know, now, just how proud I am of you and all you managed to do in the end. I hope you're able to find the peace you've always wanted while you were alive." Say hi to mom and dad..

With that, he'd place a single paw on her grave site, leaving behind a large print, smooth and deep. Turning back to face Chrysaor as she admitted to him that he made her happy too. It brightened the mood once again and he was grateful for it, offering a smooth smile as thanks.

"Come to think of it... I don't have many friends either." Rine took a moment to think, he couldn't really think of anyone who he'd really consider a friend besides her. How... unfortunate. He'd make a note to change that, at least gather some acquaintances. She rambled on, and he'd think it cute.

SO cute in fact, he put his nose to hers without thinking, briefly. Perhaps to ground her and smooth over her nerves, or maybe he was just subconsciously curious about what she would do. Regardless, it was meant to be of some kind of comfort.

"I mean it when I say not to be ashamed or feel you need to hide yourself when you're with me." His gaze was meaningful and deep now, but still held its soothing warmth. "I would love to get to know you more, and that includes your thoughts, ideas, and rambles." Rine would look down at his feet, scuffling them in the grass and dust, like a shy little kid.

-Profile-

RP'd by Six & Co.