Author Topic: this is the meme police (PRP Gray RIII)  (Read 160 times)

Offline Mara ✿

• Saboro
  • Apprentice
  • Liked: 25
  • Likes Given: 0
this is the meme police (PRP Gray RIII)
« on: May 03, 2017, 05:02:59 PM »
The pack's lull had finally brought Mara back to his feet, confidence as wavy and unstable as usual, but there, existent. He had the part dog he called a friend to thank for part of it, and his husband to thank another chunk. His kids he had to thank for the rest, all perfect children with perfect souls and perfect dreams. The fledglings reminded him of his own kids, different but the same, struggling to find a place for themselves. They didn't feel the same, they felt manufactured, forced - They were a reminder that Mara was very much not made to rule, and not made to understand the decisions made by the crowns.

So at noon the Alchemist pulled away from his makeshift family, to find at least one damn child of his own. He had no seen them all in a long time, and one in even longer. He humorously wondered if they remembered him a all these days, or if Crenate had taken all of their love. Mara had accepted his place as perhaps the less important, less interesting father. He was no king, he did not command anyone but the occasional nurse, and he did not carry himself with any air of authority. He could hear them sometimes, in their younger voices, telling others they were kids of the Sabor. Just the Sabor, not the green thing holed up with the doctors.

Mara wished he could feel resentful, but all he felt was understanding. After all, it was mostly his fault.

A familiar scent hit his nose and the stressful thought process was put on pause, replaced by the excitement of finally tracking down one of his sons. Gray, despite his colouring, was not hard for Mara to spot. After all, he spent so long spotting Crenate in every nook and cranny Saboro had to offer, from the day he was just patrolling borders, and vising a shaking Mara at his den. he wondered briefly if Gray would have a lame love story like his own. Perhaps he could ask.

"Gray,"

He spotted his bigger son near what appeared to be his den, a never ending reminder to the father that his kids were no longer all that small, no longer in need of his protection. As if he could ever provide it beyond their infancy. But he would never stop wanting to protect them, even if they were like Gray, four inches taller and seventy pounds heavier. The small father swallowed as he approached, really taking in how well his child had grown.

"Is this a bad time? If you're busy I could... I could come back." he missed being able to intimidate them. Now, most of them made Mara shake and worry, as if they would turn on him for simply speaking. They're not that sort of family, he reminded himself. As he approached, he smelled the familiar but fading scent of his other Starling son. At least they're sticking together, a comforting thought, that his kids were not constantly fighting.

"I have not seen you in a while, since... Since the fledglings." he knew, before Gray even reacted, that he like most of his siblings was not at all happy with the decision. But what was done was done, and Mara could only try to support them all. Still, his paws planted on the ground when he got close enough, too unsure to touch Gray quite yet.

mara played by bun

Offline Gray

• Saboro
  • Regular
  • and it's so nice to meet me
  • Liked: 42
  • Likes Given: 34
Re: this is the meme police (PRP Gray RIII)
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 06:06:06 PM »
His life line graph was as ever fluctuating and dramatic as the lines on a heart rate monitor; rising and falling, only to rise and fall again. But lately that squiggly line had taken a noticeable nose dive into darker territory, and the light of the situation was still yet to be seen.

Mara was a straight line on that graph; a pause, a moment of nothing where he could only stare blankly at the man as he strode closer. What did he want? Why was he here? “Dad,” he greeted out of habit, his broad head lifting a fraction as Mara came nearer. “It’s… fine,” he decided, toes outstretching to play mindlessly with the dirt beneath him. “I was only resting.

But then the conversation took another turn, another plummet down, down, down and Gray instinctually flinched, muscles tensing under fur like a clenched fist ready to swing. “Yes,” he uttered through gritted teeth. “I’m sure you’ve been… busy.” Resentment was embedded like glass in every word he forced himself to speak, in the way his brows furrowed and how his eyes reflected a tinge of hurt beyond their clear surface. How could you? but the question went unspoken. Instead he opted for something else—

Do you… love them?

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

profile | ○ tracker | ○ played by kiri

Offline Mara ✿

• Saboro
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 07:28:38 PM »
The black gaze Gray gave him at first bore into Mara. The unimportant father, it reminded him, and twisted in his gut. But he said nothing, eyes dropping down to the ground before moving back to his son, trying to find something familiar. “It’s… fine, I was only resting” he seemed to decide, and familiar he found. That unsure fluctuation, the dread and resentment a lot like his own. Well, he had to get it from someone. And Mara liked to think that all of his children's flaws were from him, while all of their positives were from the king.

And at the mention of the kids currently residing in the temple, warm and snug and spoiled, Gray's mood dropped visibly. But he held himself, did not growl, did not scare his poor, worthless father. “Yes, I’m sure you’ve been… busy.” he forced the words out, and Mara found himself sighing under his hurt eyes. How many more times would he have to do this? Countless, perhaps.

“Do you… love them?"

The question caught him off guard. Perhaps he was waiting for Gray to pounce, to growl, to turn away. Instead, this. Another sigh. "Not in the same way I love my kin. But I do, I'm raising them. They don't deserve to be hated for someone else's decision. I know what that makes first hand." he dropped his gaze, again. "I am not doing it out of some love for them, Gray." and back up, now a stern gaze as he moved closer. "It is out of love for your father, and out of- Respect? Maybe." he wasn't so sure himself.

"I have to be there to support him. I have to be here to support you. There's only so much someone like me can do." slowly, he pushed his nose into gray's scruff, familiar beyond belief. "Don't think I didn't give Crenate hell for it, if he tells you that nose scar is from a bear, he's lying." he paused, taking in his son's scent. He felt guilty, one way or another it was his fault his children were in this situation.

The Alchemist let out a soft, broken laugh. "I'm sorry I had to be the one to make you illegitimate." it was half a joke, but it held merit. "I don't- I don't know anything about royalty, I can't help you. But Crenate wasn't born to the past Sabora either, he was adopted. At the end, it didn't matter." he moved back, eyes stinging just a bit as he looked at almost a direct reflection of Crenate in front of him.

"Did he ever tell you how he climbed up to Sabor? effer made me witness it all, I cried more nights than I didn't"

mara played by bun

Offline Gray

• Saboro
  • Regular
  • and it's so nice to meet me
  • Liked: 42
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 06:23:47 PM »
He may be the King, but not even the King makes all the right decisions,” he quipped back sharply. But those furrowed brows quickly unfurrowed, eyes widening a fraction to look at Mara with an, ‘Oh crap, did I really just say that?’ face. “I mean,” he began with a tactful side-glance at his father. “If he doesn’t have his head on right isn’t it your job to—I don’t know—slap him a couple times until he’s thinking clearly?

It felt as though they’d been over this once before. Crenate had a thing for adopting children and it’d started with Chrono, the first mistake. These children would just make an even bigger crater when they shorted out and exploded. A bigger mess. A bigger problem.

If you really wanted to adopt them,” he started reasonably. “You didn’t have to give them tattoos on top of everything else.” Both his parents should know just how much that meant to him, to Leaf, to any of their siblings and any true Saboran. Who here didn’t yearn for that mark of power? Perhaps, though, he spoke to one of the few that didn’t care—that couldn’t care less. But Gray was a patriot. He was a country’s man.

Even now that he was older and grown (or well, mostly) he still believed in Saboro, and what better way to show your dedication? He still craved those red slashes beneath his eyes just as fiercely as the day they’d first learned about them. But maybe Mara wouldn’t understand, maybe he couldn’t; Gray knew that the green man was not of Saboran blood, and certainly not of their nature. His wishes may just be seen as childish dreams in the alchemist’s eyes.

The corners of the man’s lips quirked at Mara’s bear comment. “Careful, carry on like that and you’ll be King,” he joked. But in the next moment the man beside him grew serious again, and Gray looked thoughtfully at the ground, studying the waves in the dirt and the cracks in the earth as though he’d have to write a report on it later. He deliberated for another moment, trying to find the right words—one thing he never seemed to have much luck, or tact, with.

It’s not about royalty,” he said finally. “I think all of us know if we want to succeed we can, and not because of birthright.” There was another pause, his eyes seeming to search the floor for answers. “It hurts because they so easily got what some of us have wanted from the beginning. They were placed so easily at the top and sure, some of them can fail—some will—but that’s… that’s not the point.

He sighed, not feeling like even he knew the real point. What was he trying to say? “It just hurts.” And he hoped Mara understood that, if nothing else. His feelings were valid, even if they were confusing—even if they were perhaps misdirected.

Gray moved to roll over on his back as Mara continued, gesturing in the air with a paw just for dramatic effect.

Tell me all about it.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

profile | ○ tracker | ○ played by kiri

Offline Mara ✿

• Saboro
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 12:21:56 AM »
As sharp as Crenate used to be, Gray snapped similarly- “He may be the King, but not even the King makes all the right decisions,” Mara said nothing for a second, watching Gray stumble and try to find a way out of what he said “I mean," Gray started, stumbling. Mara smiled a bit. “If he doesn’t have his head on right isn’t it your job to—I don’t know—slap him a couple times until he’s thinking clearly?”

"You know you don't have to censor yourself with me, Gray." he shook his head. "I do slap him, many times, but at the end the decision is his. I need to support him, like he supported me." and boy did Crenate support him, through the worst, through his yelling. It was some sort of miracle some higher up didn't bite his head off a week into him coming to Saboro.

“If you really wanted to adopt them, you didn’t have to give them tattoos on top of everything else.”

Mara's golden eyes dropped, staring at the ground and his son's paws for a few moments. "I agree, Gray. I know that tattoo means a lot to you, to everyone. Like a stamp of 'you did good', eh? But it wasn't my choice, you know this." he moved forward slowly, trying to close the weird distance between them.

“Careful, carry on like that and you’ll be King,”

Mara snorted and barked out a laugh, finally moving to sit by his son. "Imagine me as a king, will you? Saboro would eat itself alive." he shook his head. His smile slowly dropped as he listened to Gray try and talk through his thoughts and feelings, a rare action to see in the boy that made Mara's heart swell with pride. After a few more thoughts, Gray finally finished,

“It just hurts.”

Mara hummed, eyes flickering down again. "Everyone is, Leaf is, even Cyanide. But hurt heals, and I will do y best to help. Know that." even if it meant bothering Crenate, again and again, about his children's accomplishments. Finally, he let himself lay down beside Gray, pressing against him and then moving to lick some fur on his cheek like he used to when he was a boy, trying to tame his hair.

“Tell me all about it.”

Mara chuckled, flicking his tail. "You got it, sweetheart." he coughed, took a moment to think of how to start this little tale, before continuing,

"The first time I met your father was when he was a starling. He found me lost at the border and almost literally had to drag me in. Back then I didn't know him as anything except the gray wolf that dragged my sorry salad ass somewhere I didn't want to go." he looked at his son, big and strong and gray like his husband, and patrolling borders just as he did.

"After that he started to visit me, shoving his face in my damn den and annoying me. But he kept his distance, he never threatened me even as others did. How no one ate me by then I don't know. Eventually we bonded, he told me his story and I told him mine, sort of. He was born and taken by the Sabora to be raised as someone else, a clone. He refused and went his own way. He was happier."

"So we continued seeing eachother, I feel for him and he for me, usual love story bullcrap. And then he was promoted to Saborako, first in a long chain of promotions that made me cry and freak out. For someone so important he stayed... Compassionate, and kind. Not a lot of people can be kind to someone afraid of their rank." his eyes flickered to his son now, focused on him. "Learn that from him, Gray. If you want to be anything like your father, learn to be soft."

"He remained soft when he was promoted to Saborine, now a future king. I thought he was going to kill me, I thought that for a while after he was crowned, as well. You were all there by then, you know the rest." how proud his children were to see their father crowned king, how excited they were for what it meant for their futures. And now they were heartbroken, one with dead children and another with a scarred eye. Mara put his head onto Gray's chest, and sighed.

"He was my worst fear in a single body, he still is. But he makes me feel safe, he makes everyone feel safe, and invincible. But he wasn't born like that."

mara played by bun