Author Topic: Witchcraft and You: Nardir Edition  (Read 1294 times)

Offline Alue

• Kink-Shaming Brigade
  • Hero
  • he/him/his
    • My status
  • Liked: 674
  • Likes Given: 1249
Re: Witchcraft and You: Nardir Edition
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2017, 09:40:27 PM »
as a witch i am not a satanist and dont work with satan peace sign

☽O☾
profile ☆ #00CCFF ☆ character bin

Offline .eclipse.

• Hero
  • Liked: 491
  • Likes Given: 470
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2017, 09:43:37 PM »
Christian here too?
I can tell the difference between play and real belief in something. I think tarot cards are interesting but don't actually believe they are predictive tbh. Though they are fascinating from a psychological/scientific mindset.

But what happens in the sparkle wolf world isn't real and you don't have to believe it? Like the IDS wolf pack Nardir isn't trying to break your faith. I think it's great to be steadfast in your beliefs but I also think it's important to realize when something is play. Like I watch Harry Potter and nerd around about it but never once believed anything in it was a possibility.

Either way it's unfortunate. I know nothing that happened here was intending to offend or hurt.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 09:44:25 PM by .eclipse. »

Offline papa franku

• any pronoun is fine i do not care one bit
  • Redlands Organizer
  • Hero
  • yumyum
    • My status
    • Commissions
  • Liked: 1914
  • Likes Given: 539
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2017, 09:57:44 PM »
ok, then dont rp here

simple

ive been following this thread, even though my nardir kid is inactive, and i gotta say i am Tired.

i am also Christian and was born and raised in a very religious home, but i run a pack full of witches and if i can handle that, then you can handle not rping in those situations.

Offline Witch

• Advertiser Extraordinaire
  • Hero
  • You can still call me Rip it's ok I swear
    • Deviantart account
  • Liked: 8704
  • Likes Given: 7807
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2017, 10:00:52 PM »
looks 2 own screen name and then into the camera

Offline Critter

• Hero
  • Just a Possum!
    • My status
  • Liked: 1234
  • Likes Given: 615
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2017, 10:02:01 PM »
As a future member of Nardir i think i would like to say that wolf rp is not and never has been about rl religion. No one in Nardir is saying "you should completely emerge yourself in this religion you dont believe in irl".

I think its unfair to alot of people to be mentioning that this is assosiated with satan to you. There are people on this forum  with different opinions and beliefs and i dont think how your characters act reflects how you act.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 10:07:08 PM by Critter »

Offline Charley

• Healer
  • Hero
  • Wokka wokka O.o
    • DA-foxflightly
  • Liked: 84
  • Likes Given: 209
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2017, 10:08:53 PM »
Ok, so, keeping our heads here, and trying not to engage in offense, or offensive territory, or attacking anyone please.

Witchcraft and Christianity are a sore subject, especially with some christians and some christian sects.
If we're going to deal with witchcraft here, there's going to be christian discourse.

Please refrain from name calling, or derogatory language.

There could actually be Satanists here. Not all witches are satanists.
There's even Christian Witches that worship the Creator G-d and use the natural elements in his name.
There's even Jewish Witches that use crystals to heal, or protect or use as they deem fit.

You are welcome to believe what you will, and join in where you want. If you feel like you cannot be a part of a community or pack, or thread because of a practise that is against your belief, then it is up to you to either join in, or avoid it. Please do not enflame, or harass others that are a part of said thread or community.

Offline Sunblink [Summer!]

• Guardian
  • Hero
  • have only one waifu, or it will ruin your laifu
    • My status
    • FurAffinity
  • Liked: 2629
  • Likes Given: 3646
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2017, 10:09:23 PM »
Guys, I appreciate how civil that the discourse has been thus far, but I'd like to remind everyone to keep your cool, and if you're going to post in this thread solely to make a snarky comment, DON'T!!! DO!!!! THAT!!!! Especially if you're not in the pack to begin with, because then the Nardiri Alphas have to deal with strangers running roughshod over what they wanted to be a productive discussion.

My position on the witchcraft issue is this: as writers and RPers, we'll ultimately tinker with roles and cultures that are dissimilar to our own. I've written characters that are completely and unrepentantly amoral, I've written characters I don't understand, and I've written my characters committing acts that I find completely abhorrent. What I write in fiction is not a reflection of my moral compass or my values.

Murder, rape, slavery, and other pretty atrocious things are also condemned in the Bible, but they're commonplace on this website and within media in general. Its prevalence comes with a separate set of issues, but that's reserved for another discussion.

This is fiction, not reality or a compromise of your faith, and I don't think anyone who isn't interested in participating will be forced to. It just sounds like a cultural subplot used to introduce little paganistic aspects to Nardiri society. Eru, I'm sure that if this makes you feel uncomfortable RPing in Nardir, the Alphas can help you find a workaround.

(Since we're throwing out credentials: I was raised nondenominational Christian with paganistic undertones, and I currently identify as a Unitarian Universalist, so I'm not sure how much relevance my input holds on that matter.)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 12:28:34 PM by Sunblink [back 2 school] »

Offline Alana~

• Leader
  • Regular
  • don't close your eyes, don't be afraid.
  • Liked: 57
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2017, 10:12:16 PM »
I am a Christian and all the verses in the Bible I have read say that attempting to predict the future is witchcraft and that witchcraft of any kind is of the devil and I will have no part of it. As long as Tarot cards and the like are a part of Nardir I will not be.

you've been playing your characters here just fine beforehand, even if it's a pack based around talking animals worshiping the moon. it's.. a pretty pagan idea in and of itself, you know? it's fine to practice your own beliefs and stick to them, more power to you - but as with Nardir ICly and OOCly, we expect civility and tolerance. as a pagan myself, to be called "of the devil" is incredibly offensive.

i will not allow this kind of intolerance to go any further - Eru, i'm sorry if you feel as though you can't play here due to a few culture quirks your real-life religion, but if you're going to insult myself and others and our real-life beliefs & practices, i'll have to ask that you refrain from commenting any further on the subject. as always, you're welcome to PM me to discuss this further.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 10:15:52 PM by Alana~ »

you wanna give up 'cause it's dark, we're really not that far apart
so let your heart, sweet heart be your compass when you're lost
and you should follow it wherever it may go
when it's all said and done, you can walk instead of run
'cause no matter what you'll never be alone, never be alone oh oh oh

Offline .eclipse.

• Hero
  • Liked: 491
  • Likes Given: 470
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2017, 10:12:49 PM »
Ye. I'm with Charley. It's unfortunate when faiths clash because people are and should be welcome to believe what they want and not feel oppressed. Even when things come up that put me in the situation of discomfort, I do make an effort to not be rude and to not sow hate. Though I doubt it was intentionally offensive.

Overall, if they don't wish to play somewhere they aren't comfortable. They can, though it is sad, and I wish it could be avoided. I believe perhaps we are moving into whipping a dead horse territory fast though. So I'm out for now.

Offline Puffin

• Leader
  • Hero
  • Liked: 1152
  • Likes Given: 829
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2017, 10:18:16 PM »
A tl;dr version of the plot for anyone who wants a simple summary:

[8:21:42 PM] Rapture: Witches come to nardir
They join nardir
They get to keep doin their thing
Alana is all like hey i love your crystal accessories can you make more for others?
Witches be like yeah sure.
Witches do and teach readings if people want it.
Opens up another cultural aspect to Nardir.

I am a Christian and all the verses in the Bible I have read say that attempting to predict the future is witchcraft and that witchcraft of any kind is of the devil and I will have no part of it. As long as Tarot cards and the like are a part of Nardir I will not be.

I will say that no one will attempt to predict your future unless you ask them to, and that the same is true for any characters in Nardir.

Ultimately, I am unwilling to impose a condemnation of witchcraft on the rest of Nardir, especially considering its history of acceptance. If you feel you need to leave the pack over this, then I understand, and I hope you know we never meant to hurt anyone personally in the decision to accept witchcraft into our pack.

Offline Nicki

• Master
    • My status
  • Liked: 157
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2017, 10:30:06 PM »
Guys, I just want to put in my two cents here, because I'm really excited about being part of this, and it makes me sad to see the forum split like this... We are a family, and families sometimes have different beliefs but we don't prosecute each other for it. We should be supporting each other.

I'm Jewish, openly and proudly, but I also dabbled in Wicca when I was younger, and it, along with paganism and other forms of witchcraft, isn't Satan worship. It is a different religion with different beliefs, just like Judiasm, Christianity, Islam, Hindu, etc.
A small group of people RPING imaginary wolves with beliefs that don't coincide with your real beliefs (and in some cases, don't even coincide with the people who RP these wolves beliefs) shouldn't cause such an outburst among a family like ours which has been growing together for fifteen years (or more?) years. I've known some of you longer than I've known most of the IRL friends I have. Typing out a few RPs that NO ONE is FORCED to join isn't going to cast a spell to bring out Satan, I promise. No one is in danger here. Can't we find a way to make this work?

Character Bin
If I owe you an RP, feel free to shoot me a message to remind me!!

Offline Pawprint/Adolph

• Master
  • 10% Sweet Tea
    • DA Website
  • Liked: 39
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2017, 02:24:16 PM »
A lot of stuff...this is what I get for falling asleep!

Where was Rieal calling anyone a satanist (or did I miss something?).  If it's related to her post on the previous page, I don't think it was her intention, but I won't put words in her mouth.

Just as Witchcraft is a Practice, so is standing in church and singing along to the worship leader, Communion is also a practice.
To clarify, these are part of the five acts of worship service and Communion is a commandment by Jesus.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The way things happened was sudden.  It wasn't until:
after a witch adoptables thread was made and
after people PMed about it that a thread was made for Nardir members to know this was happening...no input or comments was asked until after the fact.  Instead of a "heads up" thread, we were given something akin to a "by the way we're doing this now" thread. And the thread is literally called "witchcraft and you" -- the first thing that comes out to some people would be a knee jerk reaction.  Would I still feel uncomfortable about the changes if a heads up thread was made in the first place?  Yes.  But I would be less "?!" in my posts (something I hope I wasn't doing).  It kind of came out of nowhere for me and I can't be the only one who feels like this?

Characters

Adolph: Nardir Retiree
Navand: Maroon Cheetah
Buckshot: Nardir Groundskeeper
Moonachie: Cave Bear Lady (Inaria Hoverer)

New Profiles Needed
"You" ...she has no name
Moonachie: Cave Bear
Pawprint: Dog (Pupsaver)
Swifter: Adolph's bird

Online Blondie

• Hero
    • My status
  • Liked: 1596
  • Likes Given: 2744
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2017, 02:53:29 PM »
I'm very excited about all the stuff being added into Nardir! I've always been curious about the pack but I've kept my distance, but with the new stuff being added in I'm pretty sure I'm going to bring a character here! I think it's that "new idea" smell.

It sucks and is unfortunate people are uncomfortable with roleplaying around the idea of "witchcraft" but the cool thing about being a human and not actually being a wolf is that you have freedom, and you have a choice.

A choice like whether you associate with the witchery, a choice to step back and breathe and realize that, like everything else on this forum, this is not reality. Freedom to walk away from the situation that makes you uncomfortable and start anew in a new area. No one is obligated to stay here, and not everyone is going to be happy with change, but..

You also have a choice to make with how you deal with that change. It's your right, isn't it? Just like it's Silokks right to add to the pack and continue the Morher Moon lore/worship which has ALWAYS BEEN HERE. Don't feed into intolerance. Don't be that intolerance, but if that's what you wanna do, do it, but there are consequences.

Anyway!

I can't wait to bring a character here and I'm already looking at my stash of designs! I hope we all have fun!

Offline Puffin

• Leader
  • Hero
  • Liked: 1152
  • Likes Given: 829
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2017, 03:39:04 PM »
The way things happened was sudden.  It wasn't until:
after a witch adoptables thread was made and
after people PMed about it that a thread was made for Nardir members to know this was happening...no input or comments was asked until after the fact.  Instead of a "heads up" thread, we were given something akin to a "by the way we're doing this now" thread. And the thread is literally called "witchcraft and you" -- the first thing that comes out to some people would be a knee jerk reaction.  Would I still feel uncomfortable about the changes if a heads up thread was made in the first place?  Yes.  But I would be less "?!" in my posts (something I hope I wasn't doing).  It kind of came out of nowhere for me and I can't be the only one who feels like this?

I don't think you're wrong. In retrospect, we probably should have put the info thread up first before the adoptables thread, and for that I apologize. I understand that our order of operations was disorienting and alarming, and in the future we will put more effort into thinking things through before we jump the gun. We haven't been as communicative with you and everyone in Nardir as we should have been, and I am taking strides to change that.

On that note, does anyone have more questions about this plot? I know tensions got high there for a bit, but I think things have calmed down enough to continue using this thread as a public forum, if people still have questions.

Offline ☾nova

• the Worst™
  • Master
  • Liked: 312
  • Likes Given: 149
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2017, 08:47:12 PM »
I'm hardcore down for this. I love tarot, I love Wicca and witchcraft, and I love spiritual stuff and I was actually going to go and look at those adopts right now but I just wanted to jump in and say that satanism is not the worship of the devil, not in the way that Christian beliefs entail. it's more using him as a symbol of individualism and pride, not as a person or the devil, and they don't worship him. it's honestly a really cool religion with some good points and honestly it would be cool if before you throw the word around and talk about how bad it is try and educate yourself about it before condemning it

for those who want to know more, this website has a lot of good information and is a good source to learn more. and for those who dont want to go to a 'satanist' website, these are just a couple of their laws that they follow.

Quote from: The Eleven Satanic Rules of the Earth by Anton Szandor LaVey
1. Do not give opinions or advice unless you are asked.
2. Do not tell your troubles to others unless you are sure they want to hear them.
3. When in another’s lair, show him respect or else do not go there.
4. If a guest in your lair annoys you, treat him cruelly and without mercy.
5. Do not make sexual advances unless you are given the mating signal.
6. Do not take that which does not belong to you unless it is a burden to the other person and he cries out to be relieved.
7. Acknowledge the power of magic if you have employed it successfully to obtain your desires. If you deny the power of magic after having called upon it with success, you will lose all you have obtained.
8. Do not complain about anything to which you need not subject yourself.
9. Do not harm little children.
10. Do not kill non-human animals unless you are attacked or for your food.
11. When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask him to stop. If he does not stop, destroy him.

not trying to start anything or call anyone out, just trying to throw out some sources/learning material, but if it's unwelcome/i effed up I'll delete my post

it’s easy to get colder
it's easy to forget
so meet me when the lights dim
we can wake up every morning
we can set ourselves on fire
we can do it all again

i'm done trying to fit in
and be half forgiven
for things that i never did

we're more than what scares us
we're final and fearless
we'll dance where the ice gets thin