Author Topic: Nose To the Grindstone (Corvus)  (Read 247 times)

Offline Strawberry

• Death Valley
  • Initiate
  • Herbalist
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 1
Nose To the Grindstone (Corvus)
« on: April 08, 2017, 04:22:43 PM »

Strawberry

The distinct smell of tar wafted into the den, the downside to living south of the tar pits. But the oily stench covered the scent Strawberry's less moral herbs made as they were ground into powder or liquid form. At this moment, she was carefully grinding down the catnip she had gathered that morning from her secret herb garden. The leaves were giving a minty smell to the air as she gathered the dust in a larger leaf and carried it to the rock shelf with the bowls dug into its surface. She ran her nose over each opening until she discovered the spot designated for catnip and carefully emptied the contents into it.

Pausing, she listened for movement beyond the den's entrance. Hearing nothing, she grabbed the tansy leaves and flowers she had brought back. She had no need to be secretive with the plant, it had plenty of useful purposes, but today she was going to extract the toxic oil and tie it off in treated sections of rabbit skin to add to her collection of poisons. One day, she would be able to present them to someone who could help her move forward.

She moved into the light streaming in through the entrance of the den and began to grind the little yellow flowers and their leaves. She grabbed some of the petals and scattered them along the entrance, providing a barrier against insects, and then went back to work, trying to make the remaining powder more fine. As she worked it, small beads of liquid began to form. She gently used a tiny twig to lift each drop and move it to the spread skin. When she was convinced she had extracted all of the toxin from the powder before her, she brushed it into another leaf to move to its spot on the shelf. She placed another mouthful of the plant and started the process again, losing herself in it.

Played by Nicki

Offline [Corvus]

• Yellow Valkyrie
  • Death Valley
  • Regular
  • Captain Yon of the Ninth Division
  • Liked: 14
  • Likes Given: 17
Re: Nose To the Grindstone (Corvus)
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 09:50:44 AM »
The Great Party was over.

They had, at the very least, survived the night without any intruders. The Captain had assured that didn’t happen, but maybe they just got lucky. Too many of the members (Rosas included) dove into the toxic substances, engaged in the drug-high and partied all night long and for the next few days. Many slaves had been killed, but that was nothing to shed a tear for. They had been, after all, the pack’s punching bags.

But now things were somewhat crawling back to normal; or as normal as it ever gets in Oukoku-kai. Corvus was now going on an early morning jog through the pack, ever firm in her routine to keep up with training for her rank. Being the leader of the Ashigaru meant she had to keep above the rest of them. Besides, it gave her something to do when no one was really around to do anything with.

She passed near the tar pits, the smell uncomfortable but not intolerable. Corvus had grown accustomed to the smell, purposely going among the tar pits to grow a tolerance for the smell. It helped in moments like this, though she made sure she didn’t lose that tolerance. Paws treaded the ground as she huffed gently against the acrid smell. Above the bubbling and other small noises, she had a methodical sound. The sound of grinding, and shuffling movements. Looking about, Corvus soon discovered a figure moving about within a den.

Normally she didn’t care about what others were doing, but a few factors made her pause in her trek. One, she didn’t know this individual, and Corvus usually made a point of at least taking in everyone’s appearance. Two, she didn’t know what rank they held. If any at all. And three, her methods were too methodical, too precise. It piqued the Captain’s interest more than anything else, so it was for that reason that she now stopped near the den. “What are you doing?” she asked, with no opening greeting.

That was usually how Corvus worked.

-=played by Moons since January 14, 2014=-

Offline Strawberry

• Death Valley
  • Initiate
  • Herbalist
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 10:58:27 AM »
Raw paused to roll each shoulder, feeling and hearing her joints crack as she stretched. It was not easy work, this methodical grinding and collecting. But she had nearly a full pouch complete, the size of a puppy's paw, and returned to grinding what would likely be the last portion to complete this one. She didn't hear the paw steps outside, her mind lost in the only thing that gave her true joy; the flowery scents swirling in the air keeping her in a working haze. If she had, she would have stopped, perhaps readied some rude joke at the visitor's expense. Perhaps it was good she didn't hear it.

"What are you doing?" In the time it took her brain to register and prepare to respond, she moved to the entrance to gauge how to answer. She didn't let her surprise show as her emerald eyes took in the Yellow Rosa look-alike. It was a second before she realized it wasn't actually the Rosa who graced her presence. But that certainly begged the question, who was this doppelganger and why didn't she know of her? She decided it would probably be smart to reign in the attitude, at least a little. For that kind of resemblance, there was probably a familial connection, and she didn't want to piss off someone who might have the ear of the Yellow Goddess.

"I'm an herbalist. Those are herbs. What do you think?" she chuckled, being specifically vague. It might be smart to know who she was talking to before admitting she was making a potent toxin. Not everyone would understand what she was doing was for the good of the pack. "I'm doing my job. What are you doing?"

Played by Nicki

Offline Moons

• Kichigai's wierdo <3
  • Guardian
  • Hero
  • Captain Inaria~
    • My status
    • My DeviantArt Page
  • Liked: 911
  • Likes Given: 890
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 01:54:46 PM »
((Ocrap I will get a reply here very soon!!))
Link to bin~

Characters I Actively Role-play: Moons | Corvus |Rykryk | Flamestorm | Seven |Yoki | Phoenix | Electra | Coronach | Cruciatus | Zodiac | Tide | Skylar
Been on IDS since: January 26th 2008

Offline [Corvus]

• Yellow Valkyrie
  • Death Valley
  • Regular
  • Captain Yon of the Ninth Division
  • Liked: 14
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 06:29:33 PM »
The look of surprise wasn't lost on the Captain, and for many reasons she wondered why this was. Perhaps it was because of her rank? Maybe because she was the daughter of the Yellow Rosa? Many things about her status would probably surprise others, but Corvus didn't give them much thought. She had earned where she stood, and frankly she didn't care what any others thought of how she got there. But she was intrigued about where others stood, which was why she was here now questioning this pink wolf.

"I'm an herbalist. Those are herbs. What do you think?" Was that sarcasm? Or fact? Corvus didn't think much on it (probably for the better of this wolf), and instead looked to the herbs. She knew little to nothing on herbs and what she could use them for or mix them as, so it was lost to her as to whether it was poison or a panacea. The Captain instead looked without impression on the herbs and then looked back at her. "So you know the Rengyo, then." If this herbalist knew the lead rank, she would recognize the title. If not... they would have some explaining to do.

And then there was another statement from this herbalist. "I'm doing my job. What are you doing?" Her gaze narrowed slightly at this wolf, being reminded somewhat of Tessen, one that often deserved Corvus' fangs to her face. But she made no violent move (yet), though she did growl lightly. "Do you question whether I am doing my job, herbalist?" Because she sure as hell did more than a lot of others in this pack did on their daily routine. Not that she had to justify herself to this pink female. "Rest assured I'm making sure no heathens are doing what they shouldn't in this pack." Call it her job, call it police work.

Someone had to do it and keep this pack safe.

-=played by Moons since January 14, 2014=-