Author Topic: As I Live and Can't Breathe [Help/Healers!]  (Read 488 times)

Offline Moonachie

• The Black Sheep
  • Inaria
  • Apprentice
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 0
As I Live and Can't Breathe [Help/Healers!]
« on: April 06, 2017, 01:06:11 PM »
OOC: So Moonachie's running into the main territory for help.  So far, I'm guessing only Moons, Rhys, and Cockatrice directly know about her, but others can know rumors of a bear saving a younger Rhys who's living in the outskirts of Inaria.  I know it's a risk bringing her, but I want to shake things up.

When spring came, the black and brown mother worked to find food for her  and her cubs on the Outskirts.  It was tough as the previous year, but they did just fine.  While her two kids were smaller than average, they were still healthy.  Now they were foraging.  The girl kept close to her mother, squeaking to get her to bring her food.  The boy pushed himself further in his search for food.  There was a lot of yum.

His search for yum led to trouble.

And now Moonachie was running with her child hanging across her back into Inaria's packlands--with a snare cutting his air supply.

Moons helped her understand pack life.  Moonachie knew some things about wolves and living.  Wolves did and thought things bears didn't bother.  Wolves knew how to get out of things.  Wolves knew about the man.  Moonachie smelled the man all over the thing killing her son.  She was able to chew the snare from the tree it was attached to, but not the rope taut against her son's neck.  Her mouth was too big, her claws, clumsy.  She was helpless.  The wolves could help.  The wolves.

"MOOOOOOOOOONS!"

Her breath caught up for a moment before she focused on panting as she charged.  Her little girl was ten paces behind her, but she was running as fast as her year-old legs could carry her.  When she fell over with a shout, Moonachie skidded to a stop.  She couldn't endanger two cubs.  Her sweaty body lumbered to her daughter, gently sliding her son next to her.  The mom paced a few seconds to get her breathing together.

"MOONS!  WULVES!  Help, my cub is dy--*cough cough cough*"  She kept pacing.  It hurt, from her mouth to her legs.  The little boy writhed on the ground, gasping for air. "Please help!  Man trap, my cub, he's choking!"  She made one more try to tug the thin rope on her son's neck, but it wasn't working.  Her racous had to have brought somebody to her soon.  And if so--

"Please get it off him.  Save my cub!"
The Cave Bear lady...a darling mother...but a grouch in the winter.

Played by Pawprint

Offline Moons

• Kichigai's wierdo <3
  • Guardian
  • Hero
  • Captain Inaria~
    • My status
    • My DeviantArt Page
  • Liked: 926
  • Likes Given: 898
Re: As I Live and Can't Breathe [Help/Healers!]
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 07:59:58 AM »
The maroon marchioness was nosing through some flowers, idling through the garden where the healers frequented. She often came over whenever she felt anxious or restless in general; since the war, Moons had found those emotions followed her frequently. She wasn’t new to the after effects of a soldier thrown into combat, but that experience didn’t become easier the second or third or even fourth time. All she knew was that she had to ride out the wave, and hope she wouldn’t drown in the wake of it.

MOOOOOOOOOOOONS!

Her head shot up, ears perking straight. The roar was different than a wolf howling for help, but the sound still made her pulse quick with adrenaline. There was only a moment hesitation before Moons launched into motion, running out of the garden towards the voice calling to her. There were numerous possibilities running through her mind, but she couldn’t latch onto one particular one as she sprinted to where the call was made. All she could hope was that Saboro had not returned.

When she appeared in front of the massive bear, mouth open slightly to catch her breath, she immediately recognized Moonachie. The bear lived in the Outskirts with her cubs, but seeing her deep within Inaria surprised her. What surprised her more was when she took in the situation, her gaze homing in on the son writhing on the ground in agony. “MOONS! WULVES! Help, my cub is dy—” her voice was lost in a fit of coughs as she paced restlessly.

The concerned mother continued to plea for help, but Moons was no longer paying attention. Instead her attention was solely focused on the cub with the rope around it’s neck. She circled around him, looking at the angles of the rope. A glance was sent to Moonachie before she approached the son and put a gentle paw near his neck to tilt him to look at it better. “Shhh, I need you to hold still,” she said softly to the cub, her nose inches from the rope. If Moonachie came near to protect her son, Moons would react accordingly then, but right now, there was no aggression in her form.

Only determination to save this boy’s life.

She found the knot where the rope was tied into a noose, and her jaws parted to enclose around the rope. Her jaws and paws were smaller and more flexible than the bulky ones of the mother bear, so it would help. Moons began to gnaw on the rope, meanwhile she attempted to shove a paw in between the rope and the cub’s neck in order to provide a gap in which the child could breathe even just a fraction. Anything would help at this point. If a healer showed up, she hoped they would find something sharp to use to cut the rope or to at least bring or do something to calm the cub. His struggling wasn’t going to help. Precious seconds ticked by, but all she could do was work on the rope with her finer limbs and hope it was going to be enough.
Link to bin~

Characters I Actively Role-play: Moons | Corvus |Rykryk | Flamestorm | Seven |Yoki | Phoenix | Electra | Coronach | Cruciatus | Zodiac | Tide | Skylar
Been on IDS since: January 26th 2008

Offline Aeolus

• Former Messenger of Comunitare
  • Apprentice
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 06:58:47 PM »
He heard what sounded like a bear yelling at the border and immediately started heading in that direction. As a sentry..or part-time sentry the borders were part of his responsibilities. When the yelling seemed to be moving closer..as if it was heading past the border he doubled his speed. A bear intruder, even one whi seemed to be..calling for help? from the Marchioness? was nothing to take lightly. It was nothing to ignore. A bear could do serious damage and one that was in trouble, that was afraid or in pain, was very likely to do just that. The scents he started to pick up being carried on the breeze were much worse though. It was the scent not just of one bear but two at least and bears he knew weren't prone to traveling with company which meant, considering the feminine scent, that there was most likely a cub. That was so much trouble, more trouble than he wanted to deal with or wanted anyone else in the pack to have to deal with. Mothers were extremely protective and would fight to the death, either of themselves or any percieved opponent, in defense of their young. Yes a mother bear with a cub, in trouble, was definitely not a good thing.

Then he started wondering..how did the bear know the Marchioness? All he could think of was that they'd met before and with the bear calling to her for help..well..it didn't seem likely they were enemies so..a friend? Or..maybe even an ally? He groaned inwardly. This was going to be one of those juggling deals where he was apparently going to need to balance doing his sentry job with his job of being a Page and maintaining diplomacy. So he checked his speed, his posture and tried to adjust his expression, if it was an ally he didn't want it to think it was under attack but didn't want it to think it could just charge past the borders any time it pleased either, before he arrived on the scene.

What he found was even worse than he'd been thinking. It wasn't the mother that was in trouble..it was the cub. The Marchioness was apparently already working on helping it but..he wasn't sure how much good it was doing. He did know that he didn't want to further upset the mother who was pacing anxiously not too far away. He wondered if he should say something but..he didn't know what he could say that would help. He didn't want to promise that they could save the cub if they couldn't and telling her that it would be alright..well that hardly seemed appropriate given the circumstances. There was calling for more assistance but that would once again cause the issue of crowding an anxious mother bear and her cubs which could cause things to go very badly very quickly unless he knew who to call but..he didn't. Which he supposed left trying to help Moons get that thing off the cub which..looked rather like a vine. He'd dealt with those before. They were a pain to get off..literally but they could be gotten off quickly but..well there was bleeding involved usually and even though it wasn't much he didn't know how well..anyone here would take to causing the cub to bleed even though it would mean it breathing again much faster.

He supposed he would find out though. "I have experience with things like this..I know a way to get it off quicker so he can breath but it might cause the cub to bleed a bit..especially if he struggles". Then, as stupid as it probably seemed, he would wait for an answer of whether the mother and also Moons, was okay with that because he wasn't about to cause the cub to bleed without permission. 

Online Sunblink

• Hero
  • have only one waifu, or it will ruin your laifu
    • My status
    • FurAffinity
  • Liked: 2649
  • Likes Given: 3663
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 10:31:42 PM »
hey, I know this is old and I'm sorry for bumping it, but I'm gonna throw Setebos in here since y'all still need a healer. Would you guys be okay with that, and also if I had him get the snare off?

Offline Pawprint/Adolph

• Master
  • 10% Sweet Tea
    • DA Website
  • Liked: 39
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 10:43:32 PM »
Ooc: yes please!

Characters

Adolph: Nardir Retiree
Navand: Maroon Cheetah
Buckshot: Nardir Groundskeeper
Moonachie: Cave Bear Lady (Inaria Hoverer)

New Profiles Needed
"You" ...she has no name
Moonachie: Cave Bear
Pawprint: Dog (Pupsaver)
Swifter: Adolph's bird

Offline Setebos

• The flowers of naivete
  • Inaria
  • Apprentice
  • buried in a layer of frost.
  • Liked: 41
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 11:18:35 PM »
OOC: propelling this along by taking some liberties with the noose, so that way we can proceed with this RP. Hopefully, that's alright! If there are any objections I'll happily correct my post.

A cry for help echoed from the borders. By circumstance's merciful design, Setebos was not terribly far from the disaster zone. He looked up from the basket of berries that he was filling - it felt as if, and it certainly was an accurate interpretation of reality that Setebos spent most of his waking hours at work - and he proceeded for the borders with the determined pace of a man accustomed to answering the call of duty. He had not heard a howl, which made his close location especially fortuitous, otherwise, he would have completely overlooked it. That in itself did not immediately pique his curiosity, or clue him into his potential patient's new identity.

He first took in Moons, who he was familiar with, and Aeolus, who he had encountered before, but was not his concern. Both seemed intact and healthy, and they were standing over a fallen bear cub as its distraught mother bellowed inconsolably for assistance. Setebos realized with a jolt, doing some mental addition: oh, crap, it was the bear that called for me. Bears were predators, not typically acknowledged as packmates or equals.

Nevertheless, Setebos was prepared, unafraid, and businesslike to a fault. Moonachie cried for her son in the same way that any wolf mother would for her child. The bear cub was young, and his plight - the manner in which he struggled for breath - troubled him. Humans had apparently been lurking around Inaria, and the cub had the misfortune of bumbling into one's trap. Aeolus plucked at the rope and talked of severing it; Setebos ordinarily would have snapped off some unnecessary and hurtful remark about how there was no time for useless blather, but Aeolus was spared solely because he fell outside the periphery of his tunnel vision. He was focused on Moonachie's boy, who was gasping and wheezing for air.

"No time for that," Setebos said brusquely, snatching a sharp instrument from his saddlebag which he then passed to Aeolus. He wiggled a toe under the rope so it was lifted from the cub's neck, giving Aeolus enough separation to slice the ligature without cutting the boy's throat. Moons's assistance helped widen the gap. Ordinarily, a wolf's teeth could easily chew away the rope, but Setebos did not want to risk injury to the child, and he could survive a careless cut to his paw. "Get it off of him, quickly."

Once Aeolus did as instructed and the cub was freed, Setebos leaned back, giving the cub opportunity to collect himself while he made sure that he had not fallen unconscious. He checked for movement, breathing, and other signs of life. If the cub stopped breathing, he would commence chest compressions, but that was only if he was certain. "Are you alright, kid?" he asked gingerly, hoping the boy could speak his language.

If he didn't receive a response, then it was on to Plan B.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 11:23:46 PM by Sunblink [Summer!] »

This old warship has wounds
And it won't sail for nothin'
The old sailor said to me
And I was foolish not to listen
And paid such close conscription
All the lies I believed

"But if you lend me some more labor
And put your name on paper
We just might catch a breeze"
I know now he was not a captain
Now because of all my actions
I grow alone with the sea

[ #E42217 ] | played by Sunblink
   » tracker

Offline Moonachie

• The Black Sheep
  • Inaria
  • Apprentice
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 02:24:44 PM »
(OOC: Trying a limited POV for Moonachie showing how she views the wolves and the unknown situation she's experiencing.)

Moons came, but the wait for her was agonizing.  Moonachie tried calming her son, who only responded with a whine and a rasp.  Her friend went to work on the trap with her teeth.  The bear herself took a few desperate breaths.  It was all she could do to not let instinct tell her to move the wolf's jaws from her boy's neck.  Moons knew what she was doing.  Moons knew what she was doing...

A second wolf came.  Moonachie stood up, growling, but realizing his lack of aggression, she rumbled and sat with a huff.  Of course Inarians would want to know what a bear was doing here.  Just how many knew there was a bear and her family staying on the outside of their core territory?  And how many would know she was friends with Moons and the giant Cockatrice?  At least he didn't see her as a threat.  He even offered to help.

"...to bleed a bit..especially if he struggles"
"NO."  She clicked her teeth, catching herself.  Even if he knew how to break out of it as he claimed, would it hurt or kill her child?  It had to be why he hesitated in his speech.  Too much thinking.  She warily eyed Moons.  Wasn't she done now?

By the time the third wolf arrived with some cloth hanging off him, she huffed.  There were too many.  Moons was still chewing.  The second one needed to explain his plan.  This third one...he carried himself like Cockatrice.  She stood up again...

"No time for that...Get if off him, quickly."

And just like that, his work was set.  That sharp whatever-it-was would be used by second one to cut the trap and the third one readied the place for him to cut it, thanks to Moons' chewing.  For a moment, Moonachie was shocked.  He commanded the situation so effortlessly...calculated.  Undaunted.  Duty bound.  Stiff.  He was like Cockatrice.  Were they related?  Or was the pack more like them and not the exception? 

*GASP!*

Moonachie snapped out her thoughts to her child's first full breath.  He made it!  A whine escaped her throat as she tried to get nearer.  Her daughter pushed through first in an effort to hug her brother, but Moonachie tugged her back.  They were not done yet.  The third one examined her cub in ways she didn't quite understand.  The cub protested at first, but he was so tired he flopped onto his side and continued getting his oxygen.  He was dizzy.  He smacked his mouth.  Moonachie came closer to the wolf, placing her paw on her son's back.  At his mother's touch, the cub calmed significantly, now sputtering and smacking.

"He has not swallowed," she said in an effort to help.  "His neck looks very raw."  Normally, she would lick his neck and face, but this wolf essentially saved her son's life.  He was so sure of himself.  Moonachie then eyed the cloth where the sharp tool came from.  "Is there something in there that can help him?  To make it easier on his throat and neck?"
The Cave Bear lady...a darling mother...but a grouch in the winter.

Played by Pawprint

Online Sunblink

• Hero
  • have only one waifu, or it will ruin your laifu
    • My status
    • FurAffinity
  • Liked: 2649
  • Likes Given: 3663
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2017, 08:01:50 AM »

Offline Moons

• Kichigai's wierdo <3
  • Guardian
  • Hero
  • Captain Inaria~
    • My status
    • My DeviantArt Page
  • Liked: 926
  • Likes Given: 898
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 08:57:48 AM »
The sentry Aeolus showed up, but Moons barely paid him attention. She may not be a medical personnel, but she has the same focus for the patient than with bystanders. She would pay attention to them later -- now wasn't the time for it. Moonachie's bellows still surrounded her as she attempted to get the ropes off the poor cub's neck. She was worried about what would happen if she wasn't able to get it off in time. Or what would the mother be like were they to fail.

"No time for that." This time she finally stopped, moving away from the cub as she realized Setebos had walked in. Now this was who they needed -- the Medic. Businesslike and professional as always, he came in with the authority fitting the doctor. Moons watched as he withdrew a sharp tool from his bag, and set to work. The marchioness would step back and let him work, approaching only if he requested the assistance. "Get it off of him, quickly." Time was off the essence, and if she was allowed she would gently grab the rope in her maw and pull it off.

Once again she would watch Setebos do his medical thing of observing the patient.

Moonachie stepped closer, and the maroon female watched the situation carefully. She could only hope the bear understood they were here to help. "He has not swallowed. His neck looks very raw." Good, she was trying to help. Moons slowly lowered herself onto her haunches, a loose sitting position where she would be able to quickly react if necessary. "Is there something in there that can help him?  To make it easier on his throat and neck?" Moons would leave it up to Setebos to take charge, unless the situation dictated otherwise. Mostly she was just glad the boy was okay.

Lifting a paw, she gestured to the female cub. Maybe she would hang out with Moons here while her brother was checked out.
Link to bin~

Characters I Actively Role-play: Moons | Corvus |Rykryk | Flamestorm | Seven |Yoki | Phoenix | Electra | Coronach | Cruciatus | Zodiac | Tide | Skylar
Been on IDS since: January 26th 2008

Offline Aeolus

• Former Messenger of Comunitare
  • Apprentice
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2017, 03:55:54 AM »
A soon as he had spoken it seemed the mother was voicing her objections and Moons, she was silent. Perhaps she was thinking or perhaps she was simply giving him a silent disapproval in which he wasn't sure what to do. If he removed it from the cub it might injure the cub and cause the mother to attack which would be a problem to be sure but even if that didn't happen he could end up in trouble for harming the cub and potentially disobeying orders. Of course he supposed if things went on like this much longer he might not have a choice but to do just that and hope the cub didn't die, he hoped it wouldn't come to that though. As he was running scenarios in his head who should also appear on the scene, the Medic, Setebos. Well then. He could now add the packs lead healer to the list of those in the immediate vicinity that he would need to protect if things went awry. Joy. He kept his expression calm though on the inside he was anything but pleased to have the course mannered medic on the scene with an anxious mama bear. They didn't anyone fanning the flames anymore than the cubs predicament and the number of wolves present was already fanning them since he noticed that the bear didn't seem all that thrilled at Setebos presence either, it was an irony considering she didn't even know the medic and it was one he might have smirked at if not for the seriousness of the situation and the fact that he was outranked by both of his fellow packmates and the fact that smirking and negativity generally didn't accomplish anything productive at any time. So he refrained and kept his opinions to himself.

Something that became harder to do when Setebos not only began issuing orders in that grating fashion that was hardly helpful but then also moved a sharp thing in his direction. Great. He had seen similar things and worked with similar things but not that exact thing and not in such delicate circumstances and yet he was the one Setebos had decided to hand the thing to instead of cutting the cub free himself. Heh, the  mighty Medic to the rescue, all hail the conquering hero the best order giver in history. He could give a hundred orders to more than a hundred individuals and still have time to take the credit for all their work himself. Some hero.

But the thing did need to be gotten off the cub and he had watched other with more experience them himself work in delicate situations with these things so he swiftly brought the edge down against the rope and cut through them having to mind his balance so that the awkward angle he was having to look down at didn't cause him to inadvertently cut the cub or Setebos paw, though it would really serve him right for not doing the cutting himself. He kept that thought to himself though as the cub was coughing from the ropes release and Moons was now sitting and resting and the mama bear..was still being anxious. Guess that meant he was up since while medical things wasn't in his official job description calming situations down was.

"Thank you for pointing that out miss..I'm sure our healer already noticed and is already working on addressing that. I assure you that everything will be done to help your son make a full recovery from this". And that he supposed would have to suffice for an opening since he still wasn't really sure who the bear was or why it was here and had called for Moons but now there needed to be more. "I'm sure that this is a difficult situation for you and must be exhausting for yourself but also for your daughter so if you wish I can escort you both somewhere where you can rest until our Medic has finished his examination and treatment of your son". There that should be it, at least for now.

Offline Setebos

• The flowers of naivete
  • Inaria
  • Apprentice
  • buried in a layer of frost.
  • Liked: 41
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2017, 11:44:09 PM »
Fortunately, despite the cub's harrowing ordeal, he had still managed to cling to consciousness, and Setebos did not need to revive him. The noose still left its mark on the child. The bear cub wobbled to his feet, coughing gently and apparently shaken, but still present and, most importantly, no longer in danger. The other two were owed some well-deserved praise, so Setebos offered it. "Good work," he told Moons and Aeolus; after all, they had managed to keep Moonachie calm until he arrived.

Moonachie did nothing to discourage or interfere with their efforts, and seemed to understand that the wolves were trying to help. When the cub was unable to respond to Setebos's questioning, she noted some of her observations, indicating his sore neck and wheezing. Setebos considered the symptoms. Aloe for the rope burn and rash, burdock formula to help soothe the esophagus. Check for blockage.

"I could make him a poultice," Setebos said to Moonachie, "He probably won't like the taste of it much, but it'll help him breathe a little better. Hold on." As Moonachie suspected, the pouch which contained the instrument that freed her son from the snare was also used to store some herbs, although Setebos preferred to travel only with a few in the event of an emergency. Setebos rummaged through it, frowning as he uncovered some cayenne and peppers. Useful if Moonachie's boy was bleeding from a cut; not so much if he needed relief from a mangled windpipe.

"Mmn. I don't have anything on hand," Setebos said, rubbing his nose with a paw. "I could go get some burdock. Should be easy enough to find."

Aeolus suggested bringing Moonachie to an isolated grove to clear her nerves while he attended to the boy, which was in itself, not a horrible idea, but Setebos imagined that the overprotective mother would want to supervise every aspect of her son's recovery. He didn't want to test her temper. She was placated, grateful, and obviously very concerned about her son's wellbeing, but she was still a bear capable of being riled into a rampage. "There's no need to separate them," Setebos said pointedly, unamused by Aeolus's desperate attempts to make himself relevant.

Frankly, Aeolus didn't like Setebos, and perhaps if Aeolus was capable of reading his thoughts (or vice versa), he would be validated to discover that the feeling was quite mutual. Setebos was untroubled by this animosity. If his priority wasn't the child that was suffocating to death between them, then Setebos would have been more than willing to demonstrate to Aeolus how unpleasant he could be.

As for Moons, she was not arrogant enough to find the act of taking orders from a medical professional demeaning. She was focused on keeping the injured cub's sister distracted, but he needed her for something more important.

If taking orders infuriated Aeolus, then it seemed that Setebos had a bottomless supply. "I'm gonna run to get some burdock. I have some in storage. I'll be right back. Look after the kids?" Of course, he wasn't going to refuse assistance outright, so if either Moons, Aeolus, Moonachie, her children, or all of the above insisted on accompanying him, he would likely oblige them.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 11:59:36 PM by Sunblink [Summer!] »

This old warship has wounds
And it won't sail for nothin'
The old sailor said to me
And I was foolish not to listen
And paid such close conscription
All the lies I believed

"But if you lend me some more labor
And put your name on paper
We just might catch a breeze"
I know now he was not a captain
Now because of all my actions