Author Topic: above rule or art [open]  (Read 882 times)

Offline Nihilist

• Regular
  • 'cause i'm selfish; i'm obscene.
  • Liked: 240
  • Likes Given: 299
Re: above rule or art [open]
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2017, 04:16:39 PM »
The pale man let out a throaty chuckle. “They tried to give ‘em a value.” He shook his head. “Metal’s worth what it can do. Whatever pack lived here last must have deluded themselves into giving it a value beyond what it really was. Meat is worth eating and metal’s worth melting into art or weapons.”

As much of a dirty capitalist as the brute was, the idea of currency boggled his mind—what idiot got tricked into seeing something for what it wasn’t?!

As for the question—or, rather, statement, his bride brought up—Neoptolemus raised a brow.

“Blood,” he said simply. “We’ll have to eat tomorrow. Whatever we first catch, the blood of it’s the desert and the dead’s.” Blood was too high a luxury to be eaten by anyone other than the earth, anyways, least there be proper reason for it. Though, he supposed after a successful trip like this, a blood sausage wouldn’t be too indulgent.

Certain that with all the sets of ears present, nothing would sneak up on them, Neoptolemus plopped himself down on the furs. His spade was left against the cave wall, available for anyone to grab if needed. Unlike the others, there would be no hesitation to sleep. The sunrise was coming and he had no interest in it at all.

He would sleep throughout the day unless bothered.

and, the lights, they glow
like i just lost the world war.
and, the scene slips away
to the evenness i fake.

Offline Charley

• Healer
  • Master
  • Wokka wokka O.o
    • DA-foxflightly
  • Liked: 84
  • Likes Given: 205
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2017, 12:12:13 AM »
((Its @Nicki 's turn and I finally have something to really push Rivian through some of her stuff in my next post! Yay Dreams!))

Offline Penni & Loki

• Initiate
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2017, 12:28:15 PM »
A yawn stretched the copper-toned girl's mouth wide as Neo took a look at the small coins. Her cheeks flushing, she reached up to cover her mouth; normally she was more active during the day than at night, and this long evening had caught up with her. She was beginning to see the benefits of a more active night-life, however, especially in a climate such as this one. The sun had not even peeked above the horizon yet and she could already feel the desert heat creeping up on them.

“They tried to give ‘em a value. Metal’s worth what it can do. Whatever pack lived here last must have deluded themselves into giving it a value beyond what it really was. Meat is worth eating and metal’s worth melting into art or weapons.” Her mouth snapped shut and look down at them. If he was right, these little bits of metal had likely changed many hands, witnessed many stories, before ending up in that hole. The thought made her smile as she slipped them into her bag, back into the pouch attached to the doll. She stretched her arms above her head and emitted a small groan as her spine gave an audible crack, before sinking to the thick pelt below her. She carefully folded the fox fur and placed it under her head for a pillow. Patting the spot next to her, she looked to Loki.

The dog's tail wagged gently as she trotted over to curl into Penni's stomach, sharing the same pelt. It was how they always slept, and Loki naturally moved to accommodate her human shifting during the night. As she took her usual position, her eyes fell on Reese. She never slept through the night; instead, she would dream, then wake to watch Penni for a while, and then drift back to sleep. But the thought of some canine companionship would certainly be enough to take her from Penni's side when she woke later in the day, if he would accept her company.
--
Hot flames licked the air around the small child as she ran. The scene was completely unfamiliar, a forest with no outstanding features, though she knew it wasn't the one around her village. She cried out, tears pouring down pudgy cheeks. "Mommy!" she screamed before tripping over something. She sprawled across the ground and simply laid there as the heat grew ever closer. A branch dropped, embers glowing angrily, inches from her. Fear wiped away any thought and her mind went blank. Red, orange, yellow, the colors leaped at her as she sobbed.

"Child!"

She looked up. A voice? Someone to rescue her! She wiped at her tear soaked face as her eyes searched for the source of the voice. "Mama I knew you'd save me!" But her mother was nowhere to be seen. Instead, a large figure grew from the smoke. A strange figure, it walked on four legs, not unlike the dogs in her village, though it was at least four times the size of any of the small hunting dogs her village was known for. Its ears stuck straight up, instead of hanging like flaps on the side of its face. Piercing yellow eyes locked on hers.

He reached her, circled her, and then shoved her in the direction he'd come with his face. The girl was shocked and startled, but young enough that she trusted him implicitly. She ran, her tiny legs pumping as he galloped beside her. It wasn't far until she discovered where he was leading her. A small cave with a stream feeding from its mouth. She drew up short, eyes wide. To the small child, it seemed a torrential river, but he grabbed her and leaped it with little effort.

When six feet touched the ground on the other side, she broke from him and ran deeper, tears welling back up. The cave was dark, cool and safe from the flames.
Penni's Accessories

Offline Charley

• Healer
  • Master
  • Wokka wokka O.o
    • DA-foxflightly
  • Liked: 84
  • Likes Given: 205
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2017, 01:17:08 AM »
The healer watched as Penni and Loki settled into each other, Reese had slept next to her like that on several occasions, but he was was usually gone sometime in the middle of her sleeping, and she would wake up to him near her back. As she settled to sleep next to Neoptolemus, she glanced at the Dire to see if he was interested in joining them but he had settled at the entrance with the morning light falling on his face. She could feel a wall had been built between them, an emotional and spiritual wall where he denied her that previous access to an inner link. He was probably not aware of it, but she was extremely sensitive to the sub harmonies running through everything. She sighed and looked down, he huffed and she looked up again to see his rich brown eyes were watching her. She quested a smile at him and he thumped his tail at her before turning his attention back to drifting off to sleep and watching for intruders.

Rivian looked back down, a half smile still creasing her lips, which broadened with a soft kind of love as she saw Neo's back and strange spiny hair. She usually took a little while to settle to sleep, and took to tracing her finger along the edge of his shirt. She had tried to run her fingers through his hair once only to be deterred by the hardness and prickly spines. So she typically traced her fingers over his back when they lay together. His pearl like hair and almost translucent skin was enchanting to her. Soon she fell asleep.

---
Working in the garden, she was planning out where to plant the onions, and if she might have enough garlic from this coming crop when her brother came up behind her and wrapped his arms around her and lifted her up. She gave a squeal and tried to wrestle herself out of his arms.
"Qigo!! Ugh, I was busy!" She laughed, struggling against the carpenters strength.
She faced him and looked into both his green eyes, perfectly matching her own. His dark brown hair was tied back, something Kaylen must have introduced to him. It no longer fell into his face.
"You're sad..." He said to her.
"What? No, I was just... planting..." She said looking around at the barren cottage where she now stood. Strange, also strange was that, when she turned back to her brother, she could clearly see two green eyes, not one green and one milky blind. No scars stretched his skin, or crawled their way over half his face and down his arm. He was strong, older than she remembered, fully grown, his eyes so full of love. He caught her hand and pulled her attention to the meadow stretching out around them, violets and forget-me-nots opening with sparkling dew falling from their stamens. "You're gone..." she heard herself say as if she were watching from a distance.
"In a sense, sure." A flash of a red hot lava river stretched beneath them briefly before the meadow again returned, "And in a sense, I'm not."
"Why did you leave me..." Was it the dew from the flowers on her cheeks or tears?
"I didn't. But I am so very glad you did." Her breath caught in her throat as he swung his arms wide to catch her falling into his chest.
"I miss you..." She tried to say.
"I know." He answered and took her hand again to pull her down a dark corridor. The roof of which curved gracefully above them. She had never seen such craftsmanship. Maybe in the ruins that had the dotted landscape, but this was completed, new. A torch was strangely held against a wall, a string of small lights lit their way to a grandly carved glittering dark blue door. He stood aside and pushed her hand to take the handle.
"Will I see you again?" She whispered.
"Not really. Not there. Perhaps, but perhaps not."
"I don't want to leave you." She pulled her hand back to coil her arm against her chest. Her voice echoed against the walls, the light was strange and ethereal, it made etchings on his features look like scars.
"I know... But you must..." Qigo took her hand and placed it on the handle, giving it a confident squeeze. She opened the door and saw a familiar figure silhouetted against a grand fireplace. A bed laid with the richest of exotic fabrics was to her right, to her left an elegantly carved crib. She knew that if she looked back her brother would be gone and her hand was resting unconsciously over her stomach.

---

With an intake of breath she heard the commotion outside pull her into waking consciousness. She looked up and saw that it must be mid-day and Reese was standing with his hackles raised and his head poking out of the cave, in front of Neo's cloak door. She looked around then got up to see what the commotion was for herself.
"What is it?"
"Two eagles fighting over a snake. I'm wondering if I can take all three of them down." She smirked and rubbed his ear affectionately.
"Do you then. Don't get your eyes pecked out and don't get Loki into trouble." She said and kissed the top of his head, as she went back to her makeshift bed she ran her finger down his red dorsal stripe and smiled as he shifted his stance.

She settled back into the furs and nestled closely to her lover. She slept peacefully and deeply for once, the first time in a long time.
She woke to the sun casting deep shadows upon the earth. Letting the arid land cool in the night. She wouldn't awaken right away until Neo started stirring. Usually she was awake before him.

Reese had been productive during their sleep. He had taken down one of the eagles and stole their snake prize. If Loki had joined him he would have shared the snake with her and left the bird for the humans to use as they saw fit. He would have tried to tease and play with Loki, tossing sand with his nose at her and sneezing after their catch. When they got tired he would take his place by the entrance of the cave, but maaaaybe he would try to sleep as close as possible to the tricolored dancing dog.

Offline Nihilist

• Regular
  • 'cause i'm selfish; i'm obscene.
  • Liked: 240
  • Likes Given: 299
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2017, 07:03:21 PM »
Dreaming was a mortal notion, and Neoptolemus was on the cusp of something greater. He had no need to process what he had seen; he accepted it, embraced it, would choke it down his greedy throat like the first ape to ever glut themselves on an oyster and begin the grand transcendence to awareness. Like Oberon before him, he was not bestowed with dreams, for he gave them.

In other words, his sleep was peaceful, pleasantly warmed by the radiating energy of the sun. The squawking of eagles rounds him once, but hearing no wolf yelping or woman’s scream, he declined to do anything about it and instead returned to his sleep. Whatever was going on was not worth him getting a sun rash.

When he truly awoke, he roused purposefully. He sat up at once. He did, however, spare a moment to look upon his bride. She looked beautiful in the dark. Hair like threads of moonlight, skin as dark as fertile earth, strong as a tree’s branches; he reminded himself her only flaw was that she was not adorned as she should be, that she was not treasured as she should be.

He’d see to that.

If he was a prince, he might have awoken her by kissing her gently. Instead, feral as her almost packmate, he’d lean over, face inches from hers, feeling her breath. It was a caring gesture, not unlike a worried parent minding their precious infant. Satisfied that she was sleeping soundly, he… Well. He had initially been going to run a hand over her horns, but she had none. He settled on calling out to her, sharp teeth warping the v sound to last longer.

“Rivian,” he gently said. “It’s moonrise.”

When she got up, he would smile.

“We’ve got a sacrifice to make.”

He’d stand, looking to Loki and Penni, and perhaps even Reese if they were all still there. “It’s nightfall. The air’s cooling. Time to take advantage of it. You only last three nights without water. If we can't find any tonight, we've got to turn back.”

He could hear the distant braying of a zebra. If they followed it, they’d find water, and hopefully more hidden treasures. If not… Well, he still had gratitude to render unto the desert.

and, the lights, they glow
like i just lost the world war.
and, the scene slips away
to the evenness i fake.