Author Topic: above rule or art [open]  (Read 694 times)

Offline Nihilist

• typo queen
  • Regular
  • Liked: 219
  • Likes Given: 275
Re: above rule or art [open]
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2017, 06:21:25 PM »
She was interested in magic? Excellent. Looking to his bride, the big fairy looked for any sign that she might disagree with his coming offer.

“Well, would you like to travel with us for a while, then? Deserts often have seasonal lakes. If you get lake bone, you’ll have powerful magic with you. When wet, it can purify things. And, you can see what it does when burnt. If nothing else, there's bound to be aloe, which is always a useful medicine..." He, of course, had more illusions and tricks to offer, but an air of mystery was a fairy’s greatest ally. Even Rivian didn’t know all of his cards yet, despite him indebting himself to her through the wish he had yet to grant in full.

But, as for dinner…

“The stomach,” he answered simply. If it were empty and Penni didn’t spill its contents out, then its stomach bile could be kept for later. It also had strong “magical” properties if used correctly, though not as good as those of a hyena or vulture. If the fox had eaten shortly before death, then Neo would get a treat just as well.

He did wonder why both Rivian and Penni didn’t want to lay claim to the organs. He knew humans sometimes lived in male dominated societies, but seeing how neither of them had been around any other humans for quite some time, he sincerely doubted they were not claiming the organs out of respect for him. Furthermore, he also doubted they had the aged-based social structure of fairies; so, even with the likelihood that he was a little older than Rivian, that didn’t explain their aversion. Did they just not like organs? They were so much tenderer than muscle, though.

At Rivian’s chiding of Reese, his eyes darted to the scene, subtly gauging both of their knowledge of the other. He didn’t know what it was, exactly, but there was something about their dynamic that Reese resented and that Rivian could not quite correct. A part of him suspected it was simple dispersal moodiness, but a part wondered if it was Rivian’s domestic nature clashing with Reese’s wildness. Humans played very differently from wolves; this was, of course, because play was learning, and what wolves learned was very different from what humans learned. The pale man pondered this, but, again, said nothing, out of respect for his wife and for her friend. They were adults; they could apologize and let go.

Offline Penni & Loki

• Initiate
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2017, 10:18:30 AM »
[[OOC: sorry for the shabbiness, I typed this out once, it was a BEAUTIFUL post I was so proud of, hit post, and got an error message saying it was SPAM! I hit back, but it was gone. So I started again, it wasn't as good but it was still pretty good; hit post, and was logged out. Once again, it was gone. SO! I kinda lost the motivation with this one. =P]]

"Well, would you like to travel with us for a while, then?" Penni's breath caught as she looked up from the fox to meet the intense eyes of the man. "Deserts often have seasonal lakes. If you get lake bone, you'll have powerful magic with you. When wet, it can purify things. And, you can see what it does when burnt. If nothing else, there's bound to be aloe, which is always a useful medicine..." She only absorbed part of what he was saying, though, as her mind spun the idea of not being alone anymore. She glanced at Loki, who was wrestling with the wolf. She loved that dog, but she only took some of the crushing loneliness away. She nodded slowly, looking at Rivian then Neo in turn.

"I would like that very much," she managed, turning watery eyes back to the fox. She was grateful for the distraction as each declared which piece they wanted. She slowly slid the knife around the left hind leg, seperating the connective tissue until she could hand Rivian the leg. She figured to let the woman cook it to her own preference. She was just turning back when she heard Rivian's panicked shout and leapt up, her heart racing as her eyes searched for and found Loki. She let out a sigh and smiled as the dog ran full tilt toward her, a huge, toothy doggy grin across her face. The dog barrelled into her and they fell, Penni laughing allowed as Loki's tongue sought her face. She reached beside her and grabbed a small chunk of meat from the pile she had set aside for the canines, offering it to the dog as a bribe to get up. Loki inhaled the morsel and leapt off her human, tail whipping back and forth. Her own chocolate eyes sought Reeve, who looked slightly uncomfortable being petted by his own companion.

Penni selected another chunk and stood to face the woman and wolf. "It's alright, Rivian. They were just roughhousing. They have to be careful with us humans, we aren't as sturdy as they are. Its nice for them to be able to let loose and really wrestle." Her eyes found the wolf. He seemed so intelligent, she wondered if she should speak directly to him. It was worth a try. She couldn't understand him, but the other two seemed to. Maybe he could understand her? Loki certainly could, so it stood to reason? She held out the chunk and tentatively said "Reese?" She took a breath and continued, wondering if they had heard the discussion from where they played. "My little girl sure seems to have taken a liking to you. Is it alright if Loki and I join you in your travels?"

Upon recieving his answer, whatever it may be and however it may be delivered, she would turn back to the fox with blade in hand. She slowly began to slice away the meat from the stomach, and then detached it by slicing into the digestive tract on each end. She offered it to Neo, careful not to spill its contents. She was beginning to develop a basic understanding of the man, he seemed to have a use for everything.
Penni's Accessories

Offline Charley

• Healer
  • Master
  • Wokka wokka O.o
    • DA-foxflightly
  • Liked: 78
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2017, 03:00:03 PM »
((Oh man that's happened to me so much))

Rivian had been delighted at the prospect of Penni and Loki coming along. A good troupe for a long journey and would make the journey more delightful for sure. Getting to know Penni more and even seeing how Neo interacts with others would be good experience.

When Penni turned to comfort Rivian about what had happened between herself and the wolf the healer couldn't help but entwine her small dark fingers into his rough fur. "I know. I do know that. But if he had hurt her it... it might have..." put their new budding relationship in jeopardy. Despite the separateness Reese insisted on, if he had hurt Loki, Penni would have been very upset and would reflect badly on them all. That and... she really didn't recognise the difference between play fighting and actual fighting. She had never seen or witnessed a dog on dog fight. In the tribe there were Houndmasters that tended to the dogs and she had never had the chance to befriend one of them nor have an animal companion of her own before. Relating to your wolf companion was so much more different when there were other human companions to relate to as well, than when they were utterly alone together with no hope of other human companionship. She couldn't help but admit that was jealous of the closeness between Loki and Penni. But to be honest she had only been friends with Reese for a little over a year maybe less. He was young too, perhaps he was itching to join his family that he spoke of before? Were they companions because he had pitied her?

She took the leg of the fox, and looked at it for a moment in introspection. Her training and usefulness had been entirely dependant on caring for others. Herbs, healing, clothing, soothing, comforting and guiding. Now she had someone to guide her, Neo, and Reese was someone to care for, at one point anyway, it had turned into a mutual caring for each other. Rivian took the leg and found a nice big flat rock by the fire and pushed it into the coals. Stripping the meat off the bone she placed the muscles on the the rock and carefully placed coals around them with her hands wrapped in the corner of her hide skirt to cook the meat evenly. It probably would have been easier to put the whole fox on a spit, but this would do. Who was Reese to her now then? A warm body that offered friendship? She didn't need to hunt for him, she didn't need to groom him, she didn't need to tend him. What was she to him then?

She remembered his comment that night Neo came knocking on her door. She hadn't given it a second thought, but now, now it suddenly struck her as very strange. "Why do you wear such things? You are much more beautiful this way." he said when she had hung her clothes up to dry.

She watched him then interact with Penni.

When the hunter girl spoke his name he turned his light brown eyes upon her and the morsel in her hand. A wolfish grin creased his maw, much the same way a human would in pleasure at being acknowledged. He received the offering with much delight and thumped his tail upon the ground while he ate. Rivian smiled then, knowing at least what he was nonverbally saying. He wasn't usually very talkative in the first place, so this exchange was pretty typical.

"I think you know better than I do what he thinks about that." Rivian said giving him a pat on the shoulder. She retrieved her meat from the stone and began to eat it herself.

"So, Neo. Aloe, Lake bone, a cotton plant or two on the way back, I'd like to get some cactus needles. Some crystals and ores and dyes. What else did you have in mind again for collecting on this journey?" She asked eating and watching him do what he would to the stomach and the contents.

Offline Nihilist

• typo queen
  • Regular
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2017, 07:02:28 PM »
The sickly green firelight reflected off Penni’s watering eyes. At this and Rivian’s clear delight, the horned man smiled in contentment. This would be a fulfilling trip, indeed.

At the mention of human frailty when compared to wolves, Neoptolemus could not help but cock a head in curiosity. As he did not consider himself human, his pride was not at stake. He couldn’t help but wonder why the humans considered themselves so much frailer. Flesh was flesh, bones were bones; everything bled—everything.

A more important question rang through his head upon Penni referring to Loki as “my little girl.” With complete seriousness, the man asked, “Is Loki your daughter, Penni?”

He took the guts gratefully, smelling the sharpness of them and quickly getting out a crude glass vial to empty the bile into. After that, he helped urge the last of the blood out onto the sand, letting nature have her tithe. After that, he swallowed the stomach in two savage bites; the first ripped it in half, like a hound upon a ham.

Looking to Rivian, the man nodded, understanding her wants. “A few young cotton plants should be easy to uproot. What kind of ore do you want? I’ll keep a hand out for it.” As for himself… “I need more copper, basalt, and saltpeter. I’ll carry out some sand on the way back.” He cast a cheeky grin at Rivian. #ADD8E6“I’m going to milk some rattlesnakes, too.”[/color] He turned to Penni. “Do you want to learn to milk snakes?”

Offline Penni & Loki

• Initiate
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2017, 08:58:24 AM »
[[OOC: just because adorable, as I write this the real Loki is sleep-fighting. Her face is all scrunched up in a growl and she keeps making these little grunting sounds. <3 My youngest dog can't figure out WTF she is doing though and keeps going over to poke her face with his paw and nose.]]

The woman looked so nervous, twining her fingers in the wolf's thick gray fur. "I know. I do know that. But if he had hurt her it... it might have..." Penni smiled gently and rubbed her hand over Loki's head before reaching her hand to touch Rivian's shoulder. She was rusty on the whole human interaction thing, but she tried awkwardly to soothe the other woman. "It's alright, Rivian," she muttered gently. As the wolf gobbled the scrap from her hand, the girl's face lit up and she found herself laughing at the expression on his face. Loki gave a playful little growl to recapture Penni's attention and nosed her hand, begging shamelessly for another morsel. Penni chuckled and offered both canines another piece before turning her attention to her sliced meat.

"I think you know better than I do what he thinks about that." She chuckled a little as she selected a long stick and skewered square pieces of meat. She lifted it and dug one end into the ground, leaving the end with the meat dancing in the flames, contemplating what Rivian said. She almost didn't hear Neo speak. "Is Loki your daughter, Penni?"

The question startled her. She turned to Loki, who had laid beside her with her head in the girl's lap. Without even realizing, she had begun to pet the dog's soft facial fur and rub the velvety folded ears. Her hand knew of its own accord where the dog's favorite spots were. She trailed down to rub the dog's fluffy chest fur, between her front legs. Loki sighed deeply, her face a picture of "Happy Dog." Her half-lidded gaze stayed trained on Reese and Rivian.

"Yes. It's funny, most people dont get it, but I raised her from birth and I would guard her with my life. Does that not make me her mother? Isn't that what a mother should do?" She rubbed her hand across her face and bent forward to place a kiss on the black bat on Loki's forehead. The dog's tail thumped three times and she turned her big chocolate eyes to Penni, lifting her head a little to return the kiss on the girl's nose. Penni chuckled and glanced up to check the meat. It looked ready, having browned nicely. She pulled the stick from the flames, sliding off chunks one at a time to pop in her mouth. She watched the other two eat, her rather daintily and him more savagely. She sliced the left over pieces into strips and placed them over the rock Rivian had used, figuring to let them cook for a while, to keep longer.

She stood and grabbed one of the bones with chunks of flesh still clinging to it and clicked her tongue at the Doberman. Loki leapt to her feet, knowing what was coming. She glanced at Reese, wondering if he was gonna follow her. Penni wound up her arm and chucked it into the darkness, not too far that she wouldn't be able to hear the dog's paws beat the ground, but far enough that Loki would be able to run flat out. The dog barked once and bolted after it, long legs stretching to cover the distance quickly. If Reese followed, she would toss her head and throw it again so the two could make a game of it. If he didn't, she would simply slow to turn and grab the bone before running full tilt back toward Penni.

"So, Neo. Aloe, Lake bone, a cotton plant or two on the way back, I'd like to get some cactus needles. Some crystals and ores and dyes. What else did you have in mind again for collecting on this journey?" came Rivian's voice. Interesting, definitely, and Neo's response certainly peaked her curiousity. "I need more copper, basalt, and saltpeter. I'll carry out some sand on the way back. I'm going to milk some rattlesnakes, too." Copper eyes grew wide as he turned to Penni. "Do you want to learn to milk snakes?"

Penni nodded, a grin plastered on her face. "Oh yes please! What is rattlesnake milk used for?" she asked, fascinated.
Penni's Accessories

Offline Charley

• Healer
  • Master
  • Wokka wokka O.o
    • DA-foxflightly
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2017, 12:08:08 AM »
((Omg! Thats so cute! ))

Rivian smiled and had reached up to respond to the other girls comforting touch. Her thoughts were cascading down a strange slope in her mind and she was getting lost in thought until Neo asked about whether Loki was Penni's daughter with this... adorable expression! Was he serious? Rivian went to cover her mouth to hide her laugh and turned away. She couldn't help but keep smiling as Penni explained their relationship. Rivian couldn't help but glance sidelong at her fairy husband. There was that Otherwordly experience and wisdom about him and yet there was this naivety that took her by surprise. His world really was so very different from hers, or was it the other way around? She watched Penni throw the bone and Loki chase after it.

Reese had simply lifted his head and perked his huge red ears to watch her. He was much more content to sit idly and let the pet play fetch. He certainly didn't feel like he had that connection with Rivian. He had liked her, and had stuck around after she had healed him, it was the least he could do to pay her back since she had been so lonely.

Rivian had known how to milk snakes as a part of her education. Some snake venom when used properly could be a pain reliever or psychoactive, though she preferred Salvia for the spirit walking. She remained quiet though and watched as Penni eagerly drank up Neo's attention. She thought about what else they were gathering on this trip. She wanted ores because she had seen a buckle once and was awed by how it had worked and how beautiful it had been  and how well it did its job as opposed to permanent tying or threading or retying of garments. She would have no idea how make a buckle or anything with ores really.

Offline Nihilist

• typo queen
  • Regular
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2017, 01:21:29 PM »
Noting where the moon was in the sky, Neoptolemus stood. He adjusted his gloves. “The milk is for self-protection,” he explained. “Only for self-protection. It transmutates blood into fat and kills flesh though the rest of the body lives. It is a killing curse.” The man, of course, wanted it for that assured death. He had every intention of providing the luxury of both safety and creature comforts to Rivian and he could not do such without every ounce of magic he could muster up.

Switching gears without much hesitance, he picked up his spade, his wares not yet returned to its straps. “We should keep going. It’ll get colder later, and there isn’t enough shelter out in the open here to keep us warm. I can see rock formations in the distance, so we’ll have better luck setting up camp there, I think.” What he was looking upon and seeing was, in reality, the dead city of Cairo. Tjenu might not have existed as a true pack any longer, but it was not as if the desert had swallowed it up so suddenly.

If he heard no resistance to his idea, he’d take the spade and break apart the branches within the fire. They hit the sand and were smothered. He then shoveled sand over all of it. The green fire was gone. In the dark, the red glow on the pale man’s cheeks returned.

“Hey, Rivian,” he said, trying to catch his wife’s attention. “You never said what metal you want. I don’t know what to keep a hand out for if you don’t tell me.” Then again… He considered the way she had lived until now. Maybe she wasn’t familiar with metal! Or, worse, she had the common people’s metal: iron.

Ugh. Disgusting. He wouldn’t let her even use as a tool something that could rust. Copper was alright for weapons, but the ugly green it left made it inappropriate for jewelry. Copper was tolerable for its usefulness, but no fairy would be seen dead with iron.

“Maybe gold? Some silver?” he suggested.

By now, the borax had cooled enough for him to take a spare strip of cloth from his bag, the same one the borax had originally been wrapped in. His gloved hands quickly picked it up, wrapping it in cotton and put it in his bag before attaching it again to his spade’s pole.

With that done, he’d wait for everyone else to ready themselves to walk. He, for a moment, wondered if he should be the rear of the group. He was larger than everyone present and would be the most intimidating to stalk… But, he also had the glowing face and would probably do better leading the two humans around since their walking styles were the same. Plus, he did want to stay by Rivian.

With that in mind, he looked to Reese. “Will you keep an ear out again?”
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 01:22:22 PM by Nihilist »

Offline Penni & Loki

• Initiate
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2017, 04:18:50 PM »
Loki slowed as she approached Penni and began to prance, tossing the bone to the girl's feet. She stooped to grab it and tossed it, though not as far. She didn't want Loki running off in the dark while her attention was elsewhere. Her dark copper eyes were trained on Neo as he explained the strange notion of milking a snake. "The milk is for self-protection, Only for self-protection. It transmutates blood into fat and kills flesh though the rest of the body lives. It is a killing curse." She couldn't claim to completely understand what that all that meant, but killing curse she understood. She understood how that could be effective for self-protection. Someone like herself, who had never really learned to defend herself, could find that useful. "That is truly fascinating."

"We should keep going. It'll get colder later, and there isn't enough shelter out in the open here to keep us warm. I can see rock formations in the distance, so we'll have better luck setting up camp there, I think." She nodded, stooped to grab her bag and stowed the cooked meat into a lined pocket in her bag. She tied off the pelt to the back of her strap and put the strap over her head. She glanced at Rivian, who remained silent. Smiling a little, she reached into her bag and pulled out a little piece of copper which had a wolf's head carefully carved into it. "Trinket for your thoughts?" she asked, holding out the little metal piece to the woman. "Please take it, as thanks for allowing me to join you." Loki trotted up, taking her spot next to Penni with the bone in her mouth and her tail wagging happily.

Penni glanced back to Neo as he addressed Rivian and was startled to see the glow emanating from him. She only half listened as he questioned her about metals. She knew little about metals, or working with metals. Maybe she could learn that from them, as well? But she was far more interested in the magic element.

"Will you keep an ear out again?"

Girl and dog glanced up at Neo addressing Reese. Loki glanced up at Penni, who put a hand on the dog's head. "You too, girl." She pulled out a strip of cloth from her bag, which wrapped over Loki's shoulders and around her front legs, almost like a harness. "Work time, Loki-Doki."
Penni's Accessories

Offline Charley

• Healer
  • Master
  • Wokka wokka O.o
    • DA-foxflightly
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2017, 05:42:37 PM »
Rivian grimaced when Neo started with his explanation of the snake milk, using it as a killing curse. Why would they need such protection to give another such an excruciating death? She had to admit, she was no warrior, and had only took up the stave to protect herself and her brother from hungry wolves before. Nope, no, not right now. Not her brother. Moving on, better things to think about.

She glanced up at Neo as he started to pack things up and motioned for them all to get going. Rivian didn't have to do much except sit down by the large pack and put the straps on again. Penni surprised her then by handing her a small token and asked her for her thoughts. Oh stars, not those thoughts, they hadn't risen their ugly heads since that night. She was doing so well! 
"Please take it, as thanks for allowing me to join you." Rivian clutched the small token in her hand and brought her fist to her chest as if the little thing became incredibly precious to her.
"Thank you. It's so interesting! Uhm, I'm just... something about snakes is all. We used this one kind back in... well for pain relief if you used it right." She felt rescued again by Neo's prompt to answer his question. 

“You never said what metal you want. I don’t know what to keep a hand out for if you don’t tell me. Maybe gold? Some silver?”
"Oh, yes. Right, I honestly don't know. I once saw something they called a buckle from a merchant. He used it to tie on these bags around a nice strip of leather around his waist, and he could take it off and put it on so easily without having to recheck it to make sure it wasn't coming undone all the time." With Neo's nice clothes she assumed he knew what she would be talking about. Her tribal life was very simple and her only glimpse at the outside more modern world where those merchants. Her brother had been wanting to create trinkets and jewelry for the merchants. He had built a house for his crush, and spent the entire summer on it. The floors had been expertly set in cobblestone, the four wooden pillars carved wonderfully in different elemental animals. No! Nonono! NO! Make it stop! Things had been going so well, Neo promised to make the pain go away.

Her green eyes were far away for a moment, just like they were several moments ago. But she couldn't get out of this reverie, she was still as stone silently yelling in her head to wake up and move, shouting telepathically at the stars to let her break away from this memory. It was the words from Penni "Work time, Loki-Doki." that made her blink at the cute pet name, where Rivian finally looked up at her glowing cheeked ghastly pale fairy lover. Without a word she moved to be near him, went to grasp his pale hand with her cold and clammy fingers, trying to even her breathing, stifle the tears back from the edge again. She thought she had been done with this, this... panic, this memory trap. When they got moving it would be better, much better. What was up ahead? She could barely see in this dark. She was trying to almost pull him into taking the lead again as she placed the trinket from Penni into a pocket in her bag. 

Reese had watched as everyone started to gather their things. He could feel the stir in the air and the sudden change in Rivian's heartbeat that alerted him to one of her attacks. He pressed into her leg but this time she didn't respond to him.
He shifted his gaze to Neo as the man asked him to keep a look out.

"Absolutely." Reese said and turned his attention to watching Penni wrap up Loki in something interesting and then felt Rivian stir and make her way to Neo. There, that was it. She didn't need him anymore, and... he felt almost crestfallen. He felt the wind of the night pick up the feathers by his ear and gave them a little tug on his fur. He wasn't quite ready to listen to it yet. With a glance with his dark brown eyes to make sure Neo was hopefully holding onto her tight, he turned away to start his own job in keeping them safe.

"Want to join me or keep to the inner circle?" He asked Loki as they all started to move along, he would predominantly take up the rear.

Offline Nihilist

• typo queen
  • Regular
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2017, 12:50:17 PM »
Out of the corner of his eye, Neoptolemus caught the exchange of copper. He smiled, pleased by the trinket’s appearance. He made a note to reward Penni for her generosity once they reached some mineral deposits.

A reward for Penni and a buckle for Rivian, too. “A belt?” he inquired, cocking his head. “I can make you a buckle. I’m more of a pyromancer and a gem mage, but metal and rock aren’t too different,” he confessed. The buckle would be more practical than pretty, which truly killed him, but he’d make damn sure it was made out of gold to make up for that. Then again… If he decorated it with a few jewels, that might spruce it up… Polish it nicely…

He slipped off his gloves, deciding to give her proper comfort now that she had thrice needed it. The rule of three was not to be ignored. Taking her hand in his own—exposed, vulnerable—he could feel the chill, the drum of her heart beat in the veins and arteries of her palm. He stepped forward then, leading the group towards where they would spend the evening. He kept his grip even, a solid pressure that wasn’t ignorable but not enough to really squeeze her hand. If it had been on a kitten’s scruff, it would have gone limp contently.

The man felt more assured with the wolf and the dog working together. He would let them handle themselves since this was their area of expertise; he wouldn’t appreciate them lecturing him on how to cut a ruby, so he’d give them the same curtesy of respecting their skill.

And, then they were walking. After a bit, the rest of the nightlife died off. The occasional scurry of a mouse trying to make the most of the night could be heard along with the hoot of an owl flying above, following and stalking the mouse were all that marked the darkness. There was a brief period of only sand and the occasional rock. It was peaceful; and interlude of deathly silence in no-man’s land before they reached safe haven. The trek was long enough that continuing past Cairo would be foolish least they find themselves caught in the heat of day out in the open.

Stone jutted out here, mirroring the larger, almost hill-like structure of what was the yet-revealed city of Mali. All Neoptolemus knew, though, was that it looked like a good place to rest. Sad brown grass grew among the stones, trying desperately to survive off moisture that got trapped among the huge rocks. Agave and barrel cactus dotted the inner circle of stones. A mesquite tree or two grew inside as well, but they looked to be on their last limbs. Spring rain stirred by the mountain snow melting just south had not traveled long enough to fully support them, though it kept the cacti and the grasses alive, for now.

Slipping his glove back on, though remaining at Rivian's side, he surveyed the area. It didn't look like anything was stirring...
 Yet.“I wonder if there’s water.” Looking to the rest of his little troop, the fairy nodded. “It’ll keep the heat of the day off us, at least. Look, there’s caves.”

And, sure enough, there were. Unknown to the fairy man, these were the same caves that had once housed warriors and healers, along with refugees. Considering the dire circumstances the place had been evacuated, there were likely remains… Both of the corpse variety (though, likely picked clean by manner of the desert scavengers) and of the abandoned herbs and assorted goods kind.

It wasn’t as if he was above taking from ruins, though. He might not desecrate a grave, but, ah… An abandoned place of work… A good left out in the open… Now, that had been forgotten and he would “remember” it for sure.

“Someone certainly lived here before… A whole tribe, even.” He said this as he looked to a single lonely skull top bowl left in the open. Bleached by the sun, it contained what was probably once upon a time someone’s lunch. Now it was only scraps of fur, the refused portion of some scavenger.

god sorry this is so wordy I was just tryna set the scene so yall could search for anything if you wanted something for your characters. Neo’s gonna wait for the tunnel mazes to go rooting around. i also didnt wanna add any encounters with wildlife in case no one wanted to rp a npc fight haha

Offline Penni & Loki

• Initiate
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2017, 01:28:27 PM »
Penni grinned shyly at Rivian, filing away the information she shared. Pain relief, pain relief, pain relief she repeated to herself. Maybe this she could actually remember. She bit her lip and shook her head a little, doubt crossing her. She wasn't really listening as Neo explained the buckle to his bride. She had vaguely paid attention as Rivian explained what it did, but she couldn't think of a need for herself. Instead, she watched the canines interact, her eyes adjusting to the dark since the fire went out.

Loki puffed out her chest. The vest meant it was time to focus. She peered at Reese, sensing the slight shift in his mood, and then turned to the human woman seeking the arms of the her fairy mate. It wasn't hard for her to see what was bothering him, and fear lanced through her for just a moment. With these new companions, would Penni still need her? The moment passed and logic returned. Of course she would. They were family. Penni was her human, nothing would change that. She returned her attention to Reese just as he spoke. "I'd love to join you," she answered, grinning her toothy dog smile and following him to the rear.

As they walked, Penni lightly brushed her fingers along the soft fur hanging from her bag, planning her new hood. If she could preserve the ears, it might be cute to have them stand straight when the hood was up. Fennec ears were just so large and adorable. Her hand moved to the ears on top of her head. Papa Wolf, I miss you. She was acutely aware of the soft brush of the taxidermy tail against the back of her thighs. Her old friend. Her heart ached, though it had been years since his passing. Glancing over her shoulder, she sought Loki's reassuring form. She saw the two canines, although in the dark she could only see shadowy four-legged figures. If not for the wolf's pointed ears and bushy tail, the two were so similar in stature she wouldn't have been able to tell them apart. With a sigh, she turned her attention ahead.

As they came to a stop, Penni glanced around. "I wonder if there's water. It'll keep the heat of the day off us, at least. Look, there's caves." Following Neo's gaze, she turned and saw the caves he spoke of. A shiver went down her spine. Something seemed... creepy about this place. It carried the weight of death, of stories that couldn't be shared anymore. She reached up and tucked her hair behind her ear. "Someone certainly lived here before... A whole tribe even." She bit her lip and followed his line of sight again, noting the skull. Her fingers fidgeted nervously with the edge of her skirt. She didn't really mind death, it was a natural part of life. It was just the feeling this place gave her that made her so anxious.

Loki drew up beside Penni and pushed her head into the girl's fidgeting hand. Penni smiled down at her, feeling as though an emptiness inside her she hadn't even realized was there filled back up the second she felt the dog's soft facial fur against her fingers. The girl looked back up, feeling stronger. "There is so much history here. If these rocks could tell what they've seen..." she trailed off.
Penni's Accessories

Offline Charley

• Healer
  • Master
  • Wokka wokka O.o
    • DA-foxflightly
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2017, 06:26:15 PM »
Reese smiled back to Loki as she chose to join him, it had been a while since he had true canine companionship, and after that moment between him and Rivian, he was glad for it. Next to Loki he coordinated keeping an eye out, and keeping his eye on her form as well. She was certainly strong and sprightly. Emotionally balanced, with a strikingly different form than the wolfish figures he had grown up with. Her ears flopped over cutely, and her fur was interestingly short. He wasn't interested in settling down with anyone though, permanence wasn't his cup of tea as Rivian might say. He knew he would one day leave Rivian to go on his own again, and it was looking more and more like maybe Penni and Loki would join Rivian's budding pack, with Neoptolemus. An intriguing thought.

Rivian was glad for the contact, but hated the silence. The darkness surrounded them like a bad dream, the silence growing more and more deafening. She felt like a rabbit again, but instead of him seeming like a fox, his contact felt far more grounding. She noted the significance of him taking off his glove. She was grateful, it was far more intimate and immediately calming. She tried to keep her mind on their surroundings, looking up at the sky and maybe trying to come up with a travel song.

She watched the ruin come closer and closer until they were finally under the eaves of the ancient stones. Like Penni she could feel the uneasiness.
The healer nodded at Neo's suggestions and statements of water, caves, and tribes as she let her hand fall away from his as she looked around.
"There is so much history here. If these rocks could tell what they've seen..." The white haired tribal mystic was more in tune to astral anomalies than the typical humans of her tribe. She could feel the history like ghosts walking past her, if she focused perhaps she could even "see" them. She almost dared not speak and the voices of her companions suddenly felt stark and jarring in this place.

"But the rocks are if you listen..." She found herself saying quietly. She moved slowly, reverently to the skull topped bowl and gingerly picked it up and set it back down. She looked up and hovered her hand over the ancient shelf and found a small jar. She felt like it spoke to her and she picked it up to lift the lid and look inside. Honey! A smile broke through her grim expression. A rare treasure indeed! If there was such a small jar certainly they had larger ones somewhere, unless this was an old merchant's stock from far away. "I found honey! It's perfectly preserved, still liquid!" She still spoke quietly but this time excitedly. Who knows how long it had been sitting there but it was still good. She found another shorter pot but this one had crystals of dried honey in it. She knew how to heat it and make it liquid again. Next to that were old dried roots that she couldn't identify quite yet. They were dusty and shriveled and became powder at her touch. A lot of the herbs were too old and dried. They would have lost their potency long ago. She found another pot but it was of rancid oil, no good.

"The caves will be nice to keep cool in." She said starting to make her way inside to start settling in to sleep for the day.

((I dunno whats going on but my muse has been descending down a very dry well. :( ))
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 05:40:02 PM by Charley »

Offline Nihilist

• typo queen
  • Regular
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2017, 01:11:48 PM »
The fairy watched his bride move, reflective eyes trailing after her. Once she set the skull right, Neoptolemus wandered off, exploring the dead city. He looked over his shoulder at the mention of honey. That’d be a good food source to keep around, especially with their growing group. He was quite sure he’d been told once or twice that eating lots of animal fat wasn’t particularly good for humans, but honey was energy rich. Though he liked to have a bit of it on his own food, he was glad Rivian had found it. She and Penni might need it, especially since he wasn’t sure what, exactly, had happened here or if the foraging would be good.

Inside one of the caves, Neoptolemus paused. It was very dark, but he could clearly see the dull yellow of bones picked clean by some desert scavenger along with the ugly brown of flesh dry rotting. More importantly, though, was the curious necklace around what had once upon a time been a fringe dire’s neck. For a moment, it might have looked as if the man were about to graverob. But, instead, after noting the many, tinier collections of bones around the wolf’s dead carcass, he looked to the cave walls.

Well. There was one prize for him, at least.

Exiting the cave after having buried the wolf under a thin layer of sand (it was a fair enough exchange; ritualistic burial for the stranger while the fairy got to raid the beast’s home), Neoptolemus could be see returning a small leader bag back into his satchel. The saltpeter had been a good find. With that, looked around the rest of the caves. He would have preferred proper bed with linens, or even a hammock, but seeing how there were plenty of pelts within those others, he assumed they’d have to deal with that. As he carried the heavy parcels, he approached the cave Rivian had entered.

“We’ll have to repay them for their hospitality tomorrow,” he tutted, dropping the furs on the cave floor. He put down his spade inside the cave before draping his white cape across the entrance. It would keep the sunlight and some of the heat out.

After that, he looked around for Penni. He’d figured four pelts was enough for everyone present. He had every intention of sleeping by his wife, and he was quite sure Reese might want his own pelt, but he wasn’t sure if their two new companions slept together or not anymore.

“Find anything you liked?” he asked.

Truth be told, he felt a little ashamed. He didn’t like scavenging. It was far beneath his dignity. But, with the nitre he had now, he could use the little sulfur he had left to seal off the caves with the dead in them the next night. That would even out the exchange.

… Plus, it would be fun to show the others that sort of magic; a power to make even mountains obey his whims.

ooc: its chill! it happens sometimes
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 01:12:13 PM by Nihilist »

Offline Penni & Loki

• Initiate
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2017, 03:47:58 PM »
[[sorrryyyyy!!! <3]]

"But the rocks are if you listen..."

She held her breath and listened the eerie quiet around them. She felt the hair on her neck stand up and gooseflesh spread down her arms. She suddenly felt cold and pulled a strip of vibrant red fox fur from her bag to put over her shoulders. The color stood out against what simply felt like gray surroundings. The colors seemed muted in such a strange place. She gasped a little and felt Loki press harder against her leg. Her hand outstretched, she felt the soft hackles from head to tail raised on the dog's back.

"I found honey! It's perfectly preserved, still liquid!"

The woman's voice brought her back. Color returned around her and she let out a breath she didn't realize she'd been holding. She looked over to where she was sorting through her discoveries, noting that beyond her was a small dark opening. Hmm. She lightly tapped Loki's head and pointed at it. Was it a den or a secret hiding spot? Loki trotted over and sniffed at the entrance. No recent living creatures. She looked back to Penni, her tail wagging. The girl followed her and crouched down, sliding her hand into the opening.

It was fairly shallow, her arm didn't even go as deep as her elbow. She patted her hand around, feeling a couple small bones and then something soft. She pulled it out. It was a small doll with a little coin purse attached. Inside were three tiny coins. She couldn't make out the symbols engraved in it, but maybe Neo could. She held the doll for a moment. It was very simple, a couple threads here to suggest a face and hair. Little blue strip of cloth that maybe was a dress at one point. It nearly broke her heart. She slipped the doll into her bag and held onto the coins. She slid her hand back in and felt around, but it seemed it was just a child's hiding place.

"The caves will be nice to keep cool in." She nodded, pulling the pelt a little closer around her shoulders, falling into step behind Rivian. Neo appeared toting furs and Penni suddenly realized how exhausted she was. “We’ll have to repay them for their hospitality tomorrow,” came his voice, as though through a haze. She shook her head back to alertness, stifling a yawn. "Find anything you liked?" She nodded a little and held out the coins.

"I found these," she began, interrupted by another yawn. "I thought maybe you might know what the symbols mean?"

[[OOC: you can make the symbols be whatever you want, I leave that up to you!]]
Penni's Accessories

Offline Charley

• Healer
  • Master
  • Wokka wokka O.o
    • DA-foxflightly
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2017, 06:29:31 PM »
Rivian was glancing around the cave, trying to decipher good spots, holding her new treasures tightly up to her chin. She set down her heavy pack against an old stalagmite pillar and turned to watch Neo come in with the pelts.

“We’ll have to repay them for their hospitality tomorrow,” He mused as the cave darkened from his cape, against the quickening morning. It was still strange to start heading to bed after a whole night up.
"I didn't bring any of my spirit tools or herbs. I don't know how we can properly thank them." She said, glancing at her pack as if it would transport her tools from home to her, what did he have in mind?

She looked over at Penni as she brought up her new find. Little coins like the one she just gave her. Rivian never understood the concept of exchanging things for these tiny pieces of metal. You couldn't do anything with them except exchange them again. Merchants typically had many of them. The coin Penni gave her would be a good trinket to recall her by, she wouldn't want to trade it again for something else. Were these similar coins or did these have runes in them for magik?

While Neo was deciphering the new finds Rivian started to work at making a comfortable spot with the furs, then rummaged in her pack for some dried lavender and chamomile capsules to help her sleep through the day. The travel made her exhausted though so she may not need her "Nightly" ritual this time. Should she the cleanse the space before they slept? She didn't typically but that was when they were under the stars and not trying to sleep next to graves. It would be nice to have some singing crystals or bells. She liked the coolness of the cave, and knew from tales that they could hold an abundance of water.

Reese had been nosing around outside. "Securing the area" so to speak. It was going to be a hot day in this arid desert, he could tell. It wasn't even summer and the morning light was already trying to bake the ruins. He gave a wide yawn at the morning and decided to hunt after a nap. The humans would be sleeping for about 12 hours, he'll probably wake up halfway and grab a meal with Penni if she'll be up then. Maybe he could coax her to play again and this time Rivian wouldn't interrupt them and worry. Maybe when they got back to the hut after this trip, he could heed the winds call. He watched a few leaves on a palm struggling to survive lightly sway as a tiny gentle flurry tried to pull his attention back to the mountains.

((I hope it's not too scattered, had a really hard time focusing))