Author Topic: above rule or art [open]  (Read 1053 times)

Offline Nihilist

• Regular
  • 'cause i'm selfish; i'm obscene.
  • Liked: 241
  • Likes Given: 299
above rule or art [open]
« on: March 02, 2017, 10:53:06 PM »
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Please allow Charley to post first with Rivian (and Reese). After that, I’ll wait a few days before replying to allow for anyone who wants to join, to join. If you decide to join later in the thread, too, that’s fine![/spoiler]

Balancing the monk’s spade across his shoulders, Neoptolemus looked to his side at Rivian. The evening was overcast, which worked out for him. The next week would be full of bright moonlight, which was what he was counting on. He couldn’t really travel during the day or he’d risk an allergic reaction. Rivian, lacking the night vision he  and Reese had, would need to use fire or the moon’s full strength to be able to keep up with them. But, nature provided. This was, after all, going to be the week of the full moon. Besides, traveling at night was cooler.

Which was how they ended up together, headed out towards what was once Tjenu—not that Neoptolemus had any idea of that. He just knew deserts were good for getting pure sand and, if sufficiently heated, pure sand could be used to make glass. There were also always other good resources to get from the Desolace, such as agave nectar, cactus spines, or mesquite wood. Of course, he did need to see if there was any blossoming cotton plants out in the eternal heat. It wouldn’t hurt to come across a cheetah, either. Neoptolemus had every intention of getting her in a proper linen dress, but if she wore fur, it might as well be something luxurious.

So, needless to say, he was in a rather good mood. He had a smile on his face, his bag slung across the pole of his weapon, and a goal in his mind.

“Next time we go out, we should start looking for a new home,” he suggested. “The desert has nice things, but getting enough water is a hassle.” He looked over at her. “Not that you chose a bad place. It’s near a river, which is nice, and there’s plenty of game, but it’s only on a little hill—too exposed. I saw some mountains nearby, back there."

Perhaps the obsessive need to hole themselves up in a mountain was why Neoptolemus’s people had never really suffered much; hard to kill what you can’t find. Regardless, he’d focus on just helping out with where they made home base for now. Rome wasn’t built in a day, and what he had in mind was far more magnificent.

and, the lights, they glow
like i just lost the world war.
and, the scene slips away
to the evenness i fake.

Offline Charley

• Healer
  • Hero
  • Wokka wokka O.o
    • DA-foxflightly
  • Liked: 85
  • Likes Given: 213
Re: above rule or art [open]
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 11:50:03 PM »
Rivian sighed, content. It had been somewhat difficult for her to adjust her waking hours to match closer to his, but it was worth it. She certainly couldn't see as well as him in the darkness but his pale skin made him easy to spot in the dimness. And Reese, the wolf, had her back should anything go awry and need protection.

Her hair was pinned up in a low twisted bun. Something easy to manage and wouldn't get caught and tangled in branches. She had swung a leather bag over one shoulder, and carried a light wicker basket, with smaller leather pouches inside, on her back which criss cross straps slung over her chest and had even had made her wolf companion a harness with various pockets. She was prepared for the journey, mostly.

“Next time we go out, we should start looking for a new home," She heard him say, and he continued to speak about the desert and it seemed he was particular to mountains. She was silent for a moment. Before they had set out she had looked back on that ancient cottage sitting so stark against the grasslands. So lonely. She wondered if this was going to be like her last distance gathering journey. When she came back to smoldering ash and rock where her home once stood. She wasn't averse to moving, but she couldn't help that quaint whisper of anxiety rise up from the old wound.

"Something well protected." She finally said, letting him know she wasn't offended that he didn't think her cottage was good enough. It wasn't.

If they came upon a tumble of rocks to climb over she would instinctively reach out for his arm to guide and steady her. Walking in the dim light of evening would only get more treacherous as the light continued to recede.

Reese was keeping a perimeter. Coming every now and then to touch her hip and reassure Rivian that he was remaining close. He wouldn't walk by her heels like a trained dog. He was wild and independent, came and went as he pleased. If she ever tried to treat him like a lowly dog from the old lands he would just look at her to remind her that he didn't appreciate it when she treated him as such. They had talked about it.

He had caught part of that conversation and chimed in casually with a flick of his tail,
"The mountains around Nardir are unclaimed, as long as their borders are respected."

Offline Nihilist

• Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 10:08:04 AM »
The clouds were beginning to clear and the moon could be seen cresting just over the horizon. Fat, waxing, and glowing a soft silvery blue, the moon seemed almost approving to Neoptolemus. He, in turn, cast a grateful look upon the rock he regarded as the face of nature. She was shining bright for Rivian’s sake, he surmised. In the darkness, the pseudo-freckles under his eyes glowed red softly, radiating back at the face of his god.

“Of course,” he agreed. “I want us well protected, fed, and stocked. You should want for nothing.” Raising children out in the open was madness for any species, he knew. Furthermore, with the past that he had been able to discern from Rivian’s breakdown and her quick acceptance of his offer, anything that they built together would be precious to her. He intended to make good on his promise.

He paused, standing still to allow her to use him as a steadying beam.

“Want the spade?” he offered her. He used it sometimes to keep himself steady in the mountains. She’d probably have more use for it out here in the scrublands. Once they reached the desert, he’d take it back because it’d be more of a burden than an aid to her, but for now, it might be useful.

When Reese spoke, Neoptolemus looked at him, regarding him as much of an equal as Rivian. “Pack, pride, or tribe?” the fairy asked. He was pretty sure Nardir was not a tribe, or else his bride would have hurriedly joined them. A pack, he knew, could be pacified. Wolves were easier to barricade out of mountains as they weren’t even as good a climber as a human. A group of large cats, on the other hand…

Still, if Reese, who had kept Rivian’s company for what seemed to be quite a while, regarded the place not too bad to be nearby, those mountains might make a good choice. If they weren’t hostile, maybe they could get some trade going, too.

Meanwhile, along their walk, creatures stirred in the night. An aardwolf clucked beyond mesquite trees, but two humans and a wolf were a huge threat to such a tiny creature, so it moved on. A herd of zebra could be seen even further out. He noted the cotton plants. They hadn’t come far enough for the fairy to want to burden them with things to carry yet, but, on their return trip, he’d try to catch a zebra, at least. If he could, he’d really like to up root a whole, young cotton plant, as well. But, that’d only happen if the roots were shallow.

to the evenness i fake.

Offline Nicki

• Master
    • My status
  • Liked: 157
  • Likes Given: 120
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 08:05:04 AM »
Crouching low together, human and dog watched a tiny fox snuffle along the ground. Penni had her bow in hand, arrow knocked, and prepared to shoot the fennec fox, mind already spinning with ideas for its pelt. She needed a new hood for her hunting cloak, and as she pulled back on the bowstring and took aim, her brain walked through the process of preparing and attaching it. She released the arrow, and the moment the fox hit the ground, Loki leaped after it, collecting it to bring back to Penni.

"Good girl, Loki," she said with a grin as she stood and took the kill from her dog. "Let's see if we can't find something to cook with this for dinner, shall we?" She returned the bow to it storage, slung across her chest, and started walking toward the spot she had found mushrooms a few nights earlier. Lost in thought, she almost didn't hear the voices, but Loki did. Penni glanced down at the doberman, whose fur stood on end as she stared into the night. She glanced up, narrowing her eyes to try to see better through the darkness. She crouched again, watching as the voices got closer. It sounded like... two or three? She couldn't really tell, until they got close enough that she could pick out certain details in the moonlight. Two humans, it looked like, and a wolf?

She placed a hand on Loki's back, murmuring softly to calm her down. She felt the vibration of a warning growl under her hand, but Loki slowly calmed down, her fur flattening and her tail beginning to sway steadily. The young dog was nothing if not very friendly, but she was smart enough to be wary of strangers until she had a change to check them out for herself. Penni was Loki's only family, and the dog took her job of protecting the girl very seriously. Even as she calmed down, she still wouldn't completely relax until she knew they wouldn't hurt her person. Penni stood up; the two of them had been alone for a while. It might be nice to meet someone new...

She began to walk in their direction, raising a hand in a wave. Loki trotted dutifully at her heels, unlike the wolf. She was a trained dog, and she was proud to show it. She walked with an almost regal air, her head held high and chest puffed out slightly. Penni giggled as she glanced down at the dog that was obviously showing off for these strangers. "Hello! she called, a friendly smile blooming across her face. After all, she was very mature for her age, but she was still just a kid, and its a lonely life for a kid with no family besides her dog.

Character Bin
If I owe you an RP, feel free to shoot me a message to remind me!!

Offline Charley

• Healer
  • Hero
  • Wokka wokka O.o
    • DA-foxflightly
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 01:59:41 PM »
The tribal woman smiled gently up at her glowing fairy. Should want for nothing. Such a pleasant concept, and high words. She had no doubt he meant it but she wasn't going to allow herself to dream up such a future. For now the present was enough for her. She thanked him for his offer of the spade but she declined it, she liked clinging to him instead. Reassured her that he was indeed real and she wasn't going to wake up from this dream anytime soon.

Reese wagged his tail in response to Neoptolemus' question. "Oh a pack. My blood pack actually. My family is there, one of the only packs in the area that worships Mother Moon I believe. Quite peaceful." Reese said glancing at the bright face of The Mother. Perhaps it was his own childhood that led him to the moon haired girl he was following and allowed to decorate him with tattoos and trinkets.

It was then the red and grey dire wolf paused and perked his dark red ears.
"Someone approaches..." He warned them though he was sure Neoptolemus had probably heard them the same time he did.

A friendly voice called out in the moonlight and Rivian could just make out another human! And a dog! What kind of luck was this? "Hello!!" Rivian said waving cheerfully as the girl and doberman came closer. Reese was on alert but ready to be friendly. He had never seen a dog before! What interesting coloring! And the way she walked made her legs flash out quite shapely. She was very well built.

Offline Nihilist

• Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 03:06:21 PM »
Beneath his shirt, his chest glowed a bit, content to have her hold onto him. He returned the spade to where it was slung across his shoulders, focusing on where they were headed and the conversations at hand.

“They worship the moon?” he repeated, jerking his head towards the wolf. The fairy let out a hoot that sounded like a cross between a laugh and a bark, a quick burst of joy. His chin raised up, exposing his pale face to the moon that was above them even now. If that were not fate, he didn’t know what was. “Reese, my family also recognizes the moon. It is good that we all met!”

He’d have to make a sacrifice of gratitude soon. He had a bride and potential allies, now. Perhaps it was meant for him to go these lands.

But, they had a guest approaching them. The fairy would not admit that he hadn’t heard the human and dog before Reese because sometimes he figured the limits of his powers being unknown worked in his favor. Instead, he just turned, already facing the newcomers when they approached.

The man blinked. Ears and a tail? Not knowing they were merely sewn on, he, for a now, thought they were real. (After all, he had a tail of his own; why would it be so odd to assume this girl had one?) Still, he had never seen anything quite like that. What was she? A hybrid between wolf and human? Unusual, but he supposed it might not be impossible if he were seeing it.

“Hello,” Neo said, good natured. "Just finished a hunt?” he asked, gesturing to the dead fox she had.

Not quite so inhibited as his companions, the man would cast Rivian a look. He had to investigate, it was in his nature. If she released her hold on him, he’d briefly circle the girl and her dog, getting a good view of them. Oh! So, the tail wasn’t real—it was sewed on. A part of him was a little disappointed for knowing that. However, he determined she wasn’t grown. She was just a child, though one on the cusp of adulthood.

“Helping your family out with a late night snack, I presume?” he inquired, not really meaning it. If Rivian had not already found a tribe less than a week’s walk away from her home, there likely existed none. He felt quite certain that the girl was alone, but it wouldn’t really do to just tell her that, would it? “What a good child; so many are naughty, not helping out around the home.”

With his observations complete, he returned to Rivian’s side, smiling all the while. "I’m Neo. My companions are quite capable, so I’ll let them introduce themselves. What should we call you?” That, of course, was Neoptolemus’s polite attempt to allow them a chance to decide if they would give their real names or not. Perhaps they didn’t prescribe to his distrust for everyone and their mother knowing one’s real name. Superstitious was as superstitious did, though.

to the evenness i fake.

Offline Nicki

• Master
    • My status
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 05:54:33 PM »
[[Loki's nothing special, she can't communicate with people, so when she speaks, I would assume Reese could understand her, but no one else would]]

Penni stumbled a little in surprise as she got close enough to make out details of the couple and wolf. What a sight! The pale man had a tail, a real tail, not sewn on like her own. And horns on top of his head like the goats her old village used to raise. His skin in the moonlight seemed to glow, taking her breath away. And the woman was beautiful, and though she was at least a whole head shorter than Penni, she looked as though she was a few years older. The contrast between the woman's dark features and the man's pale ones was astonishing, and yet they looked like they belonged beside each other. She blushed shyly as her gaze dropped to the pale wolf who seemed to be regarding Loki. She had always thought of wolves as large, stocky beasts, but this one was not all too different than her tall, lean doberman. She let soothing, light fingers run over Loki's head, smiling warmly as the nervous dog glanced up at her.

The doberman dropped her gaze back to the wolf, tilting her head questioningly. She thought for a moment, trying to recall any knowledge of wolf custom. Dogs so rarely put as much stock in dominance. After a moment, she lowered her head beneath his and edged closer, careful to keep herself low and submissive. "I'm Loki. It is truly a pleasure to meet an actual wolf."

Penni glanced back up to the couple, his voice grabbing her attention. A hunt? She glanced around, baffled for a moment, then spotted the fox slung across her bag. "Oh!" she gasped and felt a blush spread across her face. "Yes! I forgot. I'm a little forgetful sometimes," she explained nervously, her voice trailing off to a mumble. She watched him walk around her, the color in her cheeks deepening as she was examined like a horse up for trade.

"My family? No, I don't have a family, not anymore. It's been a really long time... It's just me and her now," she answered, gesturing at to the dog, who remained fascinated by the wolf, with perked up ears and wide chocolate eyes. Penni giggled a little and returned her attention to the strange man. "Neo? That should be easy enough to remember... I'm Penni, and this beautiful girl is Loki." Her dark copper eyes swiveled to the woman expectantly, repeating the name Neo in her head so she wouldn't embarrass herself later by forgetting it. After a moment, she started, once again remembering the fox. "Are you hungry? It would be nice not to eat alone for a change..."

Character Bin

Offline Charley

• Healer
  • Hero
  • Wokka wokka O.o
    • DA-foxflightly
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 11:45:40 PM »
Reese watched the dog calculate how best to approach him, it was interesting to say the least, he was calculating just how intelligent she could be. He had heard from Rivian that many of the dogs from her village were just as intelligent as the wolves of these lands, but then there were some that seemed to be simple animals. He was wondering which one this could be. When the dog introduced herself he relaxed. It was a lower speech, not the wild speech he had been teaching Rivian, but a speech that was extremely common and could even be used to communicate with prey. She wasn't prey though, she was a fine looking female. Perhaps she wasn't on the same level as many of the wolves around here or Rivian's dogs from her old village.
"I'm Reese." He said simply, licking his chops, easing into a relaxed stance. She was being careful, she was giving him the respect he was due. She was at the very least quite clever. He flicked his red tipped tail and came to sniff her. "I've never come across a dog before." He said sniffing her cheek, then quietly in her ear, "Nor someone so pretty." He flirted and retreated giving her a playful look, dipping to his elbows in a play pose. He was very much more leggy and lean than a typical wolf.

As the other came closer Rivian's poor eyesight in the dark finally caught the ears and tail of the newcomer. And frankly she couldn't be surprised anymore. What with a daemon faerie for a lover. The girl was younger, but certainly older than the two children She had come across. Penni was much closer to her age. Whatever coma she had slipped into, this was a much better reality, she never wanted to wake up.

When Neo gave Rivian a look, it was an inquisitive, almost permissive look for her to let go of him, she quietly begrudgingly did. Wondering that if the contact were broken suddenly her dream would end. But the glamour of the night and the glowing of her monster didn't fade as he circled the other girl like a prowling cat asking questions.
"Neo, you're making her uncomfortable!" She laughed nervously reaching out to him as he returned to her side, meaning to clutch his arm again to interlace her darker fingers into his pale ones. They had been together a week, a week in this dreamscape that was all too familiar and yet so strange. Suddenly after meeting him another humanesque being comes across her path. She had been years by herself, and now the fea were leaking into her presence like water from a crack in the dam of reality. This other girl also didn't have a family? Not for a long time? Could she be a survivor from her village? She didn't recognise her, probably from another tribe, beyond the mountains. It was almost quaint, too consequential to be something if not from a dream.

"I'm Rivian," She introduced herself and glanced at Reese trying to coax Loki to play, "And that's Reese. He's not really mine." Only that he's the last real thing from the "time before" Neo.
"We're on our way to gather supplies. I've been meaning to get some rare herbs and crystals from the area." She was forthcoming in their mission, not knowing how Neoptolemus felt about it. She was just eager for more human, if humanesque, companionship and belonging. To be part of a village again, a new tribe.

"We could eat, maybe. What happened to your family? If you don't mind me asking." She tilted her head. Her grip somewhat loosening on his pale arm as she dug into a pocket for some dried fruit for herself, preserved meat for him, though he would probably rather eat the fresh kill. She would try to lead them to sit down to enjoy the meal together and exchange stories if Neo let her.

Offline Nihilist

• Regular
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 01:04:32 AM »
It pissed him off a bit that he couldn’t understand what the dog was saying. She was speaking a less refined vernacular than the one shared by those present. He was briefly resentful he didn’t learn the basal language of prey, but body language usually told him all he did during the hunt, and it did—with glances out of the corner of his eye—inform him of what Loki and Reese were up to. He was nosy, a very greedy man with all things, particularly knowledge. But, that was mostly because he was a trickster from a line of trickster and if anyone knew the danger of not being ever are, it was the bastard who took advantage of that.

Regardless, he had to let go of the affairs of the canines for now. Their partner and master, respectively, were letting them tend to their own issues, and so the fairy knew he should, too. Besides, they were just playing. Probably.

But, he had another thing to mildly ignore. He only let out a low humming noise of acknowledgement when Rivian chided him. He knew the girl was a uncomfortable. He was a fairy, that was his nature. Humans were innately uncomfortable around him. It’d pass, if the girl was worth her salt. Or, so he quietly decided all on his own.

With the girls exchanging information, he didn’t really have to ask anything else. Maybe she’d reveal how long ago it had been since she had been with her family. If it were about as long as Rivian had been without hers… Well, that’d be curious. Perhaps that was a sign, too—fated, even. Regardless, whatever made his bride happy, he’d be content to do.

“I’ll get a fire started,” he offered. He looked at the preserved meat she had, though his eyes were really on the prize of the little fox Penni had. Humans didn’t really eat the organs like hearts and lungs. He wondered if he could talk the girl out of it.

“I’ll be back shortly.”

Regardless, with Rivian’s grip on him loosened, he’d briefly press his cheek to hers before walking into the dark—not that his cheek glow would really let him disappear in the vast flatlands. There weren’t even enough trees to provide cover, and he was moreso going in a big circle around them to get firewood.

If no one had gone anywhere in the five minutes he’d take to get all of that arranged, they’d find themselves watching him make the right structure of a fire to start before settling a decently sized white in the middle of it. The dry foliage burned a bright green. With his spade beside him, the man would sit on the ground, looking them as if he weren’t by a green fire.

to the evenness i fake.

Offline Nicki

• Master
    • My status
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 01:45:10 PM »
[[Sorry guys, been a long couple days. So I was thinking, I didn't really understand how the speech with Reese worked, I guess it would make sense if they understood some of what Loki says, as if its a different dialect? Only if you want to. It won't make a difference to me, Loki and Penni are so close they communicate seamlessly the way they are, so Penni wouldn't ask for interpretation or anything.]]

Loki's eyes glittered as they followed the Reese's movement. She battered her eyelids flirtatiously at his playful comment and mirrored his pose, her long skinny tail high in the air and swaying back and forth. She glanced at Penni, just a quick check in, and then took off in a huge circle around the two legged companions. Her long legs gave her a boost beyond the average dog, though she assumed Reese would easily catch up, and likely pass her. But it wasn't about the race, it was more for the fun of running. After a full circle, she would bounce toward him and land back in the playful pose. 

Penni grinned as the canines got acquainted, her eyes following Loki's path part way around the circle before the woman's voice drew her attention back. "Rivian, that's a beautiful name," she declared, pausing to repeat the name to her self several times, before turning her gaze back to the four-legged ones. She whispered Reese under her breath, and then all three names, Neo, Rivian, Reese. Her copper eyes lifted back to Rivian, amused confusion written on her face. "I don't know anything about herbs or crystals, sounds interesting. I escaped from a terrible situation, something like five years ago, so everything I know I taught myself."

She lowered her head and fidgeted with the fox, untangling it from her bag as an excuse to think for a moment. Her family history, it wasn't an easy story to tell. She took a breath as she knelt and laid the fennec carcass on the ground, fidgeting with its huge ear.

"I loved my mother. We were so close when I was little, we used to make corn dolls and play all the time. Father wasn't around much, he traveled and traded, but it was nice when he was home with us. But then my mother got sick when I was eleven. She forgot who I was, who my father was. She drowned our dog's puppies and skinned our dog, cooked her up for dinner. It was awful. Father couldn't travel, he had to stay with her, but he started getting so angry, and we had no way to take care of ourselves without my father's work. I was twelve when his anger became too much to bare and I ran. I went back after a few weeks, but he had killed her a few nights after I disappeared." One small tear trailed down her cheek before she sucked in a breath and wiped her hand over her face. She looked up at Rivian, cheeks flushed in shame, and gave a pathetic chuckle. "It's been a really long time."

Penni let her gaze drop to where Loki normally stood, her heart missing a beat that the dog wasn't there. She gasped and spun, spotting where Loki and Reese played. A flinch tightened her face as she realized she'd forgotten again. She reached into her bag and pulled out her hunting knife and slid it into the ground beside the fox. When Neo returned and they had the fire started up, it would be easier to carve the meat.

Character Bin

Offline Charley

• Healer
  • Hero
  • Wokka wokka O.o
    • DA-foxflightly
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2017, 12:17:19 AM »

Reese watched the dog speed off and went to catch her, easily matching her stride. He misjudged her intentions though and when she started the circle he paused and watched her come around again and duck down to her elbows to play again.
"Ha! You're fast!" He stated, she probably didn't want to run off too far away from her human so she probably wouldn't chase after him too far. And he wanted to keep an eye on the surroundings, rogues were unpredictable, and who knows what lurked here south of the plains. So maybe he could see how she measured up in strength, was she smart enough to recognise and have a good spar? He matched her pose again and leaped forward playfully to nip gently on her leg.

Rivian pressed a hand on her cheek and smiled, watching as Neo walked away on his short mission to gather firewood. It was like he knew just what she needed to reassure her. Her attention was turned back to Penni as the girl knelt to start fidgeting with the fox. Rivian sat down and drew her knees up, then wrapped her arms around her legs listening intently to the girl with the wolf tail and ears.

"That's awful, I'm so sorry, Penni." Rivian said sympathetically, tilting her head and following the girls gaze as it darted around looking for something suddenly. Probably Loki, looking for comfort. That was a familiar sensation. Rivian glanced around on her own trying to spot Reese, but instead of finding comfort in the wolf like before her eyes settled on the returning figure of a pale man and couldn't help a warm smile play across her lips. She watched him start to make a fire and when a green flame sparked up to life she quickly let go of her legs and leaned in for a closer look.
"Woah, what did you use?" She asked, wondering if he had found some strange rock or herb that changed the fire color. She had made bright yellow, dark red, and purple flame before, but not green! As a mystic in her tribe she was taught to change the meaning of a ritual by changing the color of the fire. She'd get back to the conversation with Penni in a moment.

Offline Nihilist

• Regular
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2017, 11:13:21 PM »
Neoptolemus had not been so far away that he could not hear the conversation and keep an eye on what was going on. After all, they were in unfamiliar territory. While he knew his own ability to navigate danger, he had yet to see Rivian or Reese’s ability, nevermind the girl and her dog. Ever conservative with his gambling, he hadn’t left it up to mere assumption as to how things would pan out. He had intentionally kept himself close enough by that if anything had gone wrong, he would have been there in an instant.

But, of course, nothing had gone wrong. He was by the fire with Rivian asking about it and the girl preparing to handle her catch of the day. More importantly, he noted her hunting knife. The corner of his mouth ticked up briefly; specialization was a sign of a stronger society, and stronger societies had nicer pedigrees.

With that bit of information tucked away, the fairy answered his bride. “It’s lake bone. Some call it borax and some call it tincal, but it’s lake bone. When lakes die, you can sometimes find it. It’s got lots of magical properties.” Of course, this was an era before modern chemistry. Neotpolemus’s conclusion that borax was useful for several “magical” purposes was not wrong. Aside from this green fire—if not at least more intimidating to anything that might be lurking in the dark than regular, more warmly hued flames—the mystical salt had other properties that the fairy had every intention of using later, if they got lucky and found the minerals he wanted. "There's probably some out here, if there's any dead lakes. Is that something you'd like, Rivian?" Here, he smiled warmly at her bride. Whatever her heart desired, he'd be happy to attend to. Then, minding his manners, he looked to Penni. "What about you?"

Pretending very nicely that he had not been eavesdropping, the pale man pressed not an ounce on anything Penni had spoken of earlier. It was partially because he felt Rivian might handle it better and partially because he didn’t have that much concern over the loss of her parents. This was, after all, the same man who insisted his people had done no wrong in stealing children. Penni being isolated meant that nature had heard Neoptolemus’s oath to grant Rivian’s wish and was supplying him with opportunities to do so.

ooc: no need to apologize for the wait! irl always comes first. & honestly I just roll with whatever makes the most sense narratively; if penni and loki have been kind of isolated the last while, and especially if loki was raised by penni, it would make sense if they have their own dialect that not everyone can understand. & neo can speak most languages because he’s pretty well learned which means he does he prey animals pleading for their lives and crap but he’s wholly indifferent to it because he’s, well, intentionally written to stand apart from “true” humans in his motive and nature. But yeah—whatever works best for the narrative for understanding is fine by me.

to the evenness i fake.

Offline Nicki

• Master
    • My status
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2017, 10:35:10 AM »

Loki preened a little under Reese's praise and was caught by surprise as the wolf leaped toward her. She jumped back as his teeth grazed her leg and snorted, her mind racing as she quickly calculated the different fighting styles she had been taught. The bat marking across her forehead furrowed as she slipped into fight mode. She darted toward him and reared, aiming to grasp his scruff in her mouth. If she caught him, she would apply pressure with her body to try to push him to the ground. If he moved out of the way, she would twist to face him again, watching him carefully. Despite her aggressive posture, her eyes glittered with pleasure. "Can you keep up?" she goaded.

Penni nodded, blinking herself back under control under Rivian's sympathy. It had been so long since she thought of her parents, and no one had ever tried to comfort her. It felt like a weight had been lifted, the pain didn't push quite as hard. She glanced up in time to see the smile forming on Rivian's face and glanced where she was looking. Neo was returning. What she wouldn't give to have someone that could make her smile like that. She looked back down at the fox as he struck the strangest fire.

She knelt and held up one paw of the fennec, placing the tip of her blade just above the paw. She ran it up the leg, pulling the skin off as she went. She listened to Neo explain the fire, watching the green tint dance across his pale face and her darker one. It was beautiful and unnatural, as if they were cased in the glow from an emerald. She moved the knife to the tail, carefully pulling back skin to preserve the pelt for future use. It took a moment before she realized Neo had addressed her.

"The fire, it is so beautiful," she paused. She swallowed hard, anxiety speeding up her heart. She flushed and looked back at up at them. "I would love to know more," she continued, barely above a whisper. She already felt herself drawn to the pair, they were fascinating and no one had been this kind to her in many years. She looked back down at the fox, grabbing the pelt and slowly pulling it from the meat, using her knife to slice through membrane where needed. "Do either of you have a preferred part? I just want a little meat off the leg, and the pelt. Loki already ate earlier, although she will probably go to town on a bone later when those two have settled down. Is Reese hungry?"

Character Bin

Offline Charley

• Healer
  • Hero
  • Wokka wokka O.o
    • DA-foxflightly
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2017, 12:13:00 AM »
((Working on a post! Might reply tomorrow <3))
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 12:13:20 AM by Charley »

Offline Charley

• Healer
  • Hero
  • Wokka wokka O.o
    • DA-foxflightly
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2017, 01:04:04 PM »
Lake bone, fascinating! Rivian was entranced by the magical flame. He truly was a creature to behold, handsome, incredibly intelligent, even the strange beast like features she was growing more and more accustomed to, and finding them attractive. The yearning she had for him before was marked by a season of intense loneliness and despair, eager to escape for a time in his thrall and his sweet promises. As time went on and she learned more of who he was, and really began to recognize his complete devotion to her she couldn't imagine falling for anyone else. He was too enchanting, his voice full of liquid gold, even if they were really empty promises he was giving her, another man would never measure up, they simply could not compare. She felt... belonging. As if they had been made for each other. She had never come across that feeling before. She had always felt like an outsider in her tribe, among her family. With him... It was as if a puzzle piece she never knew she was missing was finally given to her and she couldn't dare to wake up from this dream.

"Definitely."
She said nodding her head to Neo's offer of learning more. She loved learning new and fascinating things. She turned to Penni, who seemed to be in better spirits, The fennec fox was rather small, it would have been an adorable companion. "I'll take a leg." She knew Neo would want his raw after a small blood pouring ritual, "Reese will probably hunt on his own if he's hungry." She said smiling and turning to the canines. Her smile faded as she watched the play turn to what seemed hostile! "Reese! What are you doing!? Stop!" She didn't understand that it was a form of play.

Reese grunted as he missed his mark and and as he whirled around to face her, Loki's teeth grazed his back as she tried to grab his scruff. She was quick! It was obviously play to them both and just as he was leaping to catch her foreleg he heard Rivan's panicked voice and stopped mid leap to make sure she was alright.

"What? Why? Why stop? We're playing." He said to her, unsure of what her deal was. He flicked his ear at Loki, annoyed that he was made to stop and came to snuffle Rivian's head. He felt her hands on his neck, she still saw him as a dog, a pet. Something to control, to find comfort in. He wondered when Neo could truly become her comfort, she had needed Reese to be her social companion and he was feeling thankful that Neo had come along. He settled to sit around her, a usual stance for them, but his eyes were on Loki and what she might be doing.

Rivian muttered a sorry to the wolf and laid her hand and on the back of his head. He had been growing more and more distant when Neo showed up and she didn't know if she liked it, she had hoped she would be able to stay close to them both.