Author Topic: Dinner in the rain? (Open!!)  (Read 354 times)

Offline Charley

• Healer
  • Master
  • Wokka wokka O.o
    • DA-foxflightly
  • Liked: 83
  • Likes Given: 202
Dinner in the rain? (Open!!)
« on: February 09, 2017, 02:23:46 PM »
The snow had fallen thick and fast over the last few days, but this morning it seemed the world was getting ready for spring. Yesterday the weather seemed as if it couldn't decide if it wanted to rain or snow, making the drifts and valleys thick with wet cloying mud, melting the snows to bare the earth. The rain then pelted the soil all night waking Arik to its drumming summoning, just as he watched a streamlet enter his den and run a slow trickling rivulet against the wall. He had only been able to see by the half light of the early dawn.

Not wanting to get flooded out of his nest he entered the rain soaked world, the snows from a few days ago only evident where it had made great mounds against the trails. The ground oozed and was slick, he had hard time keeping his footing as he made his way to higher ground. Just as he crested a rock several steps away from his den the rain suddenly let up and he looked to the hills bordering the valley just as a thick fog began to cloister and grow to cover the ceiling against the sky.

It was a dreary morning and he had the distinct feeling of doom lay heavy upon his dark shoulders. He could feel the rain was only giving them a brief respite, soon it would come again to wash away prints of game and prey. He should hunt while he could.

It was as if the birds could feel the pressing urgency of doom as well as he, they remained silent even as the sun tried to break through the fog, only illuminating it to a dim shadowless landscape. He lifted his dark nose. The sky blue that ran through his fur from tip to tail nearly glowed in this strange morning half light, stark against his dense black fur. The scents were nothing but soil and wet, not even a new wind picked up to carry his prey to him. Might as well make his way to the river to catch either fish or stalk deer looking for fresh water.

Taking light grey legs from the dark rock he leaped to a grassy patch and landed poorly with a slip on the slick grass. NEarly twisting an ankle. This was not good at all. If he wasn't hungry and since he hadn't hunted in the last few days, resting while world snowed, he would have gone back to his soggy den to wait for the world to dry out.

He could hear the river before he saw it, but it wasn't the lazy trickling sounds he was familiar with, no, this was a thunderous roar of angry mating between water and earth. When it came into view the banks were no where to be seen, instead a mud brown roiling mass of water, bushes, trees and rocks were being whisked away by the current.

"I got a bad feeling about this..." Arik muttered watching with growing trepidation as a large log was dislodged from its generational resting place to be carried down river. Buckshot was no doubt aware he was sure, and with most of the leadership away on a rescue mission, who was around to report this no doubt growing catastrophe?

With a blink the rain suddenly came again, a torrential deafening downpour.
This. wasn't. good.
A strange strangled call caught his attention down river, a young doe, probably a fawn last spring, was slipping in the mud and gaining speed into the river. He was torn between saving it for future generations or deciding that if it was too stupid to get this close to the flood in the first place it should probably be lunch. He made his way closer to her but it became obvious that the bank was too slippery and soft to make a safe "rescue."

He would need help getting to her before the water swept her away for good. He barked to the surrounding members, "Anyone hungry?" If they could hear him over the torrential thundering river and rain.

Offline Sekirei

• I'm only happy...
  • Hero
  • when it Reigns.
    • My DeviantART page
  • Liked: 152
  • Likes Given: 38
Re: Dinner in the rain? (Open!!)
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 01:10:43 PM »
With Byakko away, Akutan had taken it upon himself to help Buckshot care for Sara and their infant pups. He was currently hunting for them  at the moment. The pups were growing bigger and stronger. Rapture herself was showing the usual dominance that came with being the biggest and firstborn. She'd make for a great matriarch. The Maelstrom chuckled slightly. He hadn't given much thought to the future that awaited her. That was a good sign. It meant he hadn't been blinded to the here and now. Here and now, Rapture and her siblings were tiny pups in a big world.

Akutan didn't like the weather's bipolar behavior, especially the rain pelting him now. Fortunately, the family dens were well fortified but between the two of them, he and Buckshot made sure the walls were holding up and no water was leaking anywhere. Ticon was doing his part as always, stationing himself at the den's entrance to serve as a windbreak. The chill alone put the pups at risk and not one soul in the family wanted there to be any fatalities. It brought Akutan's grandfather to mind. He had been a winter pup and bad luck had dogged his steps from birth to death. It was an omen of bad luck to the Saratoga wolves, the satellite pack X had been born into, to have a winter litter. The Saratoga were notoriously superstitious and had allied with Lindras for protection because they were a small pack. There mustn't be a repeat of any tragedies that had befallen the family in the past few years. Akutan, and certainly not Byakko, couldn't take anymore.

His mind fluttered to Kyra, making him stop suddenly. Just the thought of her made his heart ache and memories of that night kept flooding back. He wanted that again. He needed that again. They had thought that the separation that would come with her leaving with Alana and her party would make things cool down a bit but Akutan was still running hot with desire and it had only gotten steadily worse the longer they were away. He was still able to deflect any inquiries from Ticon without much trouble but at this rate, he was probably going to snap the moment Kyra came back and beg her to lie with him again. He made a mental note to prevent that from happening, even if he had to break his own leg.

He was brought out of his thoughts when he heard a howl. He recognized as Arik, one of his generation. He finally showed up out of the blue after having disappeared during the Exile. Seemed he found prey. Knowing he needed whatever he could get to take back to Sara would help, Akutan's mind zeroed in on his new mission and he headed off to find Arik. He found him by the river where a deer was slipping from a bank into the rushing river. He joined Arik with only a slight nod, keeping his pale greens on the deer and calculating the potential problems that could go wrong with trying to get this particular specimen. "Got a plan? Because with the amount of things that could go wrong here, I wonder if the risk is worth the reward." he then said.
Character Bin

If Roman Reigns has millions of fans, I am one of them. If Roman Reigns has only one fan, that is me. If Roman Reigns has no fans, I'm no longer in the world.

Hail the Roman Empire. Hail the Guy. Roman Reigns fan for life.

Offline Charley

• Healer
  • Master
  • Wokka wokka O.o
    • DA-foxflightly
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 05:25:57 PM »
((Still open for another to join in at anytime!))

The moonwolf kept his bright greens on the doe as a black male came into view. Akutan! It had been a while, he remembered seeing him at the meeting last, him and... her. Though he didn't notice them together he was almost violently repelled by the red woman despite her best efforts when they were younger and even a rough shove before the meeting. He only recalled her because they were all in close of birth, though Akutan was decidedly older having been born before the exile itself.

He was grateful that the other male was focused on the task at hand and not on pleasantries on this unpleasant day. Arik wasn't really one for pleasantries regardless.

"Got a plan? Because with the amount of things that could go wrong here, I wonder if the risk is worth the reward." He heard over the din of rain.
"I'd rather not have her go to waste." Not with the grumbling in his stomach and the stomachs of Akutan's clan no doubt. It'd be a shame for her to be washed downstream and just be a meal for maggots and scavengers. He looked about trying to come up with something and saw a rather large branch. If one of them could hold onto it and maybe poke her up the bank a bit to the waiting jaws of the other.

The doe had been looking back and forth in terror, realizing her foolish mistake trying to quench her thirst.

"What if one of us holds on to one end and tries to prompt her up?" He said nodding towards the branch. He also thought one of them could maybe hold on to the other end and go down to the bank to get her but that might trap both wolf and deer. No point in killing her and dragging her up, it'd be better to make her use her legs to do most of the work for them.

Offline Sekirei

• I'm only happy...
  • Hero
  • when it Reigns.
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 07:08:50 PM »
"What if one of us holds on to one end and tries to prompt her up?" Arik asked, pointing out a branch near the doe. Akutan looked at it, figuring it into his calculations and weighing the risks again. The branch looked sturdy enough to support one of them but looks could be deceiving. "Only one way to find out. The branch looks strong but obviously we need to proceed carefully. All we need to decide, who gets to be the one to go out onto the thing?" he asked.

Akutan was willing to put his neck on the line for his family. It just came down to whether Arik thought he should or if he should do it instead because the stakes weren't as high. Arik didn't have a clan to carry on his shoulders, even though Akutan's family's survival was assured with the arrival of his young cousins. Still, the real burden was an emotional one. Akutan was currently the last descendant in Starfire's branch of the family. Losing him would take a huge toll on Byakko who raised him as a son and was his last link to his late sister. The young patriarch owed it to a lot of wolves to be careful.
Character Bin

If Roman Reigns has millions of fans, I am one of them. If Roman Reigns has only one fan, that is me. If Roman Reigns has no fans, I'm no longer in the world.

Offline Pawprint/Adolph

• Master
  • 10% Sweet Tea
    • DA Website
  • Liked: 38
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 02:37:55 PM »
Sara was going to kill him.

The new father was soaked as he followed his in-law just outside earshot.  Buckshot wondered where he was going.  What could be so important to be in the rain?

By the time he caught up to him, there was another male there.  Arik!  Maybe there was something happening with the land.  Good job!  Buckshot walked to them, listening to their conversation.  He looked over to the river and saw the deer struggling in the river.  Now his head tilted.  She was going to drown.  Was Arik going to save her with Akutan's help? 

I'd rather not have her go to waste."

He blanched.  They were wondering how to what?!  Wa--

"Aaait a minute!"  He stomped his paw.  "We ain't eating nobody in trouble.  That's crazy." He walked closer to where he thought the branch they were talking about was.  "Either save her or let things happen.  There are other drowned meals I'm sure we can find."

(Short)

Characters

Adolph: Nardir Retiree
Navand: Maroon Cheetah
Buckshot: Nardir Groundskeeper
Moonachie: Cave Bear Lady (Inaria Hoverer)

New Profiles Needed
"You" ...she has no name
Moonachie: Cave Bear
Pawprint: Dog (Pupsaver)
Swifter: Adolph's bird

Offline Charley

• Healer
  • Master
  • Wokka wokka O.o
    • DA-foxflightly
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 07:15:03 PM »
Arik watched the other male calculate and ignored the gnawing in his stomach.
"Only one way to find out. The branch looks strong but obviously we need to proceed carefully. All we need to decide, who gets to be the one to go out onto the thing?" It didn't seem he was offering himself up, perhaps giving Arik the opportunity to volunteer graciously. Arik didn't think twice, of course it was going to be himself, he was still an astronomer, Akutan ranked him more than once.
"Oh, me of cour-"
"Aaait a minute!" Arik whipped his head around to see his new mentor, Buckshot, come out of the foliage. Was he keeping an eye on Arik?
"We ain't eating nobody in trouble. That's crazy." It is? Arik slouched his ears down and dipped his head, not in aggression but in submission. "Either save her or let things happen.  There are other drowned meals I'm sure we can find." It was wrong to take this advantage? Is this what Mother Moon had her children do?

"I was not aware..." Arik said, now unsure of where he stood with Buckshot. Akutan seemed to have been on board, but maybe it was because he was hungry too. Suddenly he was questioning what it meant to be a groundskeeper, would he ever hunt again, was it just about keeping tabs on the prey?

The raging river was pulling at the doe's back legs. She was leaning for dear life on the slippery bank but frozen with fear as a third wolf showed up. She was suddenly wondering if a watery death was better than her chances here. So much for finding a nice buck this spring.

"Would it be better to let her drown and eat it then?" He asked cautiously. Was that natures way? Should they just move on and ignore her? By the moon he hoped he wasn't asking a stupid question now.

Offline Pawprint/Adolph

• Master
  • 10% Sweet Tea
    • DA Website
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 01:11:12 PM »
Bump for Seki

Characters

New Profiles Needed
"You" ...she has no name

Offline Sekirei

• I'm only happy...
  • Hero
  • when it Reigns.
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 02:13:04 PM »
Arik was about to volunteer when the two heard Buckshot come skidding by. "Aaait a minute! We ain't eating nobody in trouble.  That's crazy. Either save her or let things happen. There are other drowned meals I'm sure we can find." he said. "Would it be better to let her drown and eat it then?" Arik asked. "Pushing her into the river is easy. It's finding her again that will be difficult. The river will wash her scent away and there's no guarantee she'll wash up within the packlands, if at all. There's a chance that by the time we find her, she'll have started rotting. That's why I wouldn't eat drowned corpses. They're rarely fresh unless you're there to pull a newly drowned corpse from the river." Akutan said.

With the river going as fast as it was, letting the deer drown would making following it a huge hassle and there was no way of knowing if it would reach somewhere within the packlands where the river wasn't so strong. No, better take her now or just let her slip away for the carrion birds to have a meal on them. He felt a bit of sympathy for the doe. She was stuck between a rock and a hard place, watching as three predators decided her fate. "My question is can the herd afford to lose her? Will one less doe hurt their chances of keeping their numbers good?" he asked. He was no Groundskeeper but even he knew the importance of maintaining the ecological balance. Buckshot would know the strength of the herd better than him. Akutan would rather pass up on making the doe a meal, getting her to safety, and letting her go to continue the cycle if the herd couldn't afford to lose her. There was bound to be a rabbit or something he could take back to his cousin.
Character Bin

Offline Rieal [RL things so mostly lurking, RPing when able]

• Quoth The Raven...
  • Hero
  • Nevermore!
    • Warriors Prelude
  • Liked: 163
  • Likes Given: 467
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2017, 03:05:55 AM »
Tallulah

She hated it. She hated this overly wet not-snow snow that fell from the sky and made her wet and dirty. It helped cool her off which was nice but she hated being dirty and she hated how it made her fur cling and stick to her skin. She had run into it before this..this..not white, not powdery, non-snow snow this..rain and she still did not like it one bit but she couldn't do anything about it anyway and besides according to what she had learned of these places away from her former nicer weather home..this rainy stuff served an important purpose especially where prey was concerned and with prey availability being a concern right now well..So she just continued on with looking for prey signs like she was supposed to be doing for her friend Buckshot. Just as she thought of him she heard him, Buckshot, and he didn't sound happy. She moved quickly to find out what was the issue and arrived in time to hear a big, grey wolf, Akutan, talking about pushing something, a her something,  into the river!

That was a death sentence and before Akutan had finished speaking she was growling at him, she didn't know what rank he held but at present it sounded like he was talking about killing a packmate rather than prey which was against pack laws. "To kill a packmate without a trial is bad..it's..". What was that word again? "It is murder. It is treason, a threat to the pack, to your home..and mine. I have dealt with threats before". She said interrupting him while preparing to protect her friend Buckshot and her fellow groundskeeper helper, Arik, as well from this male who spoke of killing a..ah. One of the others, after getting over the likely shock at her unusual demeanor, quickly explained that it was not a future pack member's killing being discussed but a deer..prey. Whoops! Apparently apologies were in order. "Sorry". She said and well..that was all she could think to say really. as she listened to the unknown wolf mention never eating something that drowned while it slowly dawned on her that there was a deer barely clinging to the river bank.

That must be the deer they were talking about! And when she heard the Akutan one ask if the herd could afford to loose the deer..after the meeting she knew the answer already and was already sprinting towards the deer because the answer..was no. Prey was short which meant not even one could be allowed to slip away. That had been another part of the responsibility of the Hunters in the Greater North, saving any prey creatures, that didn't happen to be on the approved menu for the day, from anything they needed saving from. In this case..it was water. Dangerous, deadly water moving at a speed that reminded her of the snowmelt days in the North where water was ever deadlier than normal. But this was the danger the deer, and now she would face to protect her new home, her new friends. The deer thing panicked just as she started to draw near and froze causing the water to pull it from the bank. She launched towards pushing off with powerful hindlegs clearing the rest of the distance between herself and the water in a very extreme way and not one she had really wanted. In her desperation to reach the deer and rescue it in time she'd overshot landing not on the edge of the bank as she'd been intending to but in the river itself.

Her eyes were huge with fear and shock though she'd had enough experience falling in snowbanks as a cub that she managed to not breathe in but she didn't really know what to do now that the water was carrying her away. Snow would give way yes but it still provided more purchase for climbing out of than this water she now found herself in. With the shock wearing off now though she started thrashing her paws trying to climb to the top of the water anyway unable to really hear anything her packmates on the shore might be shouting over the roaring of the water and her own frantic thoughts. She had been trying to help the pack and instead she hadn't helped she'd cost them prey and landed herself in danger that she had no idea how to really get out of. In the midst of her struggling both physically and mentally she suddenly realized that there was a nose just barely poking out of the water next to her. The deer! She thought and made a frantic scramble to grab the deer before it went under and was lost again. Two bodies would be easier to find than one after all so as long as she held on to the deer now that she had it trying to keep its head above water, as well as her own, just in case it was still alive when they washed up on shore that way that would fix her mistake of causing it to end up in the river to begin with.

If it was going to continue to be alive though, and it was still alive as she could feel its pulse, weak though it was, against her tongue where she was cradling it in her jaws. Suddenly there was something in front of her that was coming from the shore where her packmates were. She again scrambled to grab it with her paws which initially did nothing but slip and slide almost forcing her and the deer both underwater until fear triggered the use of her often forgotten claws. They were out now though and now that she remembered them she was using them to try and haul herself and the deer back to the shore before the water took the thing and her and everything else away. It was a struggle but finally she was close enough to shore that the others were there helping to get her and the deer, which was somehow still alive, onto the bank and once she felt all four paws on solid ground and saw that the deer had been successfully rescued from the water as well she promptly flopped down on the ground panting as much from stress and fear as from the chill which was rare for her species to feel.

"Warm. Get it warm and dry. Cold kills. Water kills to. Both are deadlier together and prey is scarce. The pack can not afford to lose the deer". She would say in reply to any of their attempts at tending to her before the deer. Her job was take of the pack first, to make sure the pack would have food even if that meant she did without, that had been the way of the Hunters in her previous home and that was what she was here in Nardir, it was just a different name than the Greater North, which meant her welfare came after the welfare of the rest of the pack which meant keeping the deer alive was the real priority here not a half drowned cat like herself.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 03:06:53 AM by Rieal [RL things so mostly lurking, RPing when able] »
might disappear

~The raven strikes at midnight~

*Servicemen don't make MISTAKES, they make DECISIONS.*

±Credit cards aren't money..just wishful thinking±

If you want to understand me go Here and Here and also Here
My Charries

I survived the Snowflake
Christmas Name Change 2010

Offline Pawprint/Adolph

• Master
  • 10% Sweet Tea
    • DA Website
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2017, 12:19:22 PM »
(OOC: Didn't realize it was my turn!  Sorry!)

Characters

New Profiles Needed
"You" ...she has no name

Offline Pawprint/Adolph

• Master
  • 10% Sweet Tea
    • DA Website
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2017, 04:49:02 PM »
"Would it be better to let her drown and eat it then?"

Buckshot frowned.  He was so caught up with the idea of not saving tbe deer just to eat her that he had no idea what should be done.  His frown deepened with Akutan's words, cementing the Groundskeeper's lack of ideas toward the situation.  The two were thinking of a meal, an opportunity.  Any predator able bodied who go it, if the river wouldn't wash said predator away.  The doe wanted to live.  Which of the parties was going to come out on top?

Buckshot dug his claws into the mud.
*Growl!*
Buckshot jumped at the sound as Tallulah made her way to Akutan, putting herself between him and them.  Murder?!  She eavesdropped wrong.  He made an exasperated sound, as if he had been her father too.  He pushed a muddy paw on her head.

"Tallulah!"  A light bark of her name.  "He's not talking about me.  He's talking about her."  He turned her head to the river.
And just like a child, her demeanor changes and she apologises. 

At the questions Akutan gave, the Groundskeeper looked uncomfortable as he rubbed the younger cat's fur.
"I...don't know."

But Tallulah did.

Before he could say anything, she went to the river to save the doe herself.  He shouted her name, sliding along the mud to catch up to her.  Were all felines like this?  The snow leopard jumped...and landed in the water.

"NO!"

He slipped and almost joined her, but crashed into some debris.  By the time he got up she was almost out of sight.  Buckshot screamed for the girl while quickly trying to figure out how to save her.  Again, he was so caught up in the moment, he didn't think to ask help from his packmates.  He was thinking like a father with his child drowning.

It also reminded him when he and his father were in a similar position.

Finally, hours turned back to seconds as the feline clawed to the bank of the river with the deer in her jaws.  Stupid girl!  He bounded to them and grabbed Tallulah's fur to pull her out.  She clung to that deer.  He was near in tears.  Stupid girl!

If his packmates were there he would lift his head.  Common sense clicked and he called to them.
"Aku, grab the deer!  Alive!  Arik, the girl!"

After both were safely on shore, Buckshot would hold Tallulah close to him.  He resisted biting her ear as she spoke about putting the deer in front of her life.  The deer!  He growled.

"Quiet."  A breath.  "YOU are more important than any food.
 There's always prey.  There's only one YOU.  I can't lose a child."

Characters

New Profiles Needed
"You" ...she has no name

Offline Charley

• Healer
  • Master
  • Wokka wokka O.o
    • DA-foxflightly
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2017, 11:45:10 PM »
It seemed before the groundskeeper could reply the leopard Tallulah appeared and everything started to move far too quickly for the astronomer to catch up. First it seemed she hissed at them, assumed someone was murdering, made a mistake, then for the life of him he didn't understand, she leaped after the doe like a madwoman. Then it was a battle in the river with screaming and raging water and the doe and the cat bobbing in and out and all he could do was run along the edge of the river trying to keep up.

That was what he would have done if his wits were about him. Instead he was rooted to the spot like a spectator to the whole ordeal and it wasn't until Buckshot called out to him that he leaped into action to try and drag the cat back up onto the riverbank.

The doe was in a state of shock.

Arik was also in his own state of shock and moved aside when the Groundskeeper went in to comfort Tallulah.

He tried to exchange a look with Akutan as he stood off to the side completely lost now, though the deer was certainly a lot more accessible, but also somehow it was off limits. Then his stomach growled. Would it be fair to give her a head start? Was he cruel to think about his stomach again and not the fate of Tallulah who seemed to be no worse for wear? Oh right she said in the middle of al this that the herd couldn't spare the doe. It would have been nice if he had known that before he had gone hunting.

Mother Moon, how, on her holy face, had he stumbled upon such a strange pack?

• Quoth The Raven...
  • Hero
  • Nevermore!
    • Warriors Prelude
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2017, 07:45:11 PM »
((um..whos turn is it for this?))
might disappear

My Charries

I survived the Snowflake

Offline Pawprint/Adolph

• Master
  • 10% Sweet Tea
    • DA Website
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2017, 07:49:40 PM »
(Seki's?)

Characters

New Profiles Needed
"You" ...she has no name

• Quoth The Raven...
  • Hero
  • Nevermore!
    • Warriors Prelude
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2017, 07:53:18 PM »
((Hm..you might be right..okay..thought maybe it was me since I know I have other threads waiting for me to post in and didn't know if this was one of them))
might disappear

My Charries

I survived the Snowflake