Author Topic: With all the strength of a raging fire [RECRUITMENT]  (Read 705 times)

Offline Avery!

• Gemini
  • Regular
  • hear me roar
  • Liked: 32
  • Likes Given: 34
With all the strength of a raging fire [RECRUITMENT]
« on: January 22, 2017, 03:17:01 PM »
OOC: For a) current peacekeepers who want to meet Avery and possibly become her second in-command, b) those who want to be peacekeepers, and c) anyone who wants to join Gemini's army.

She stood facing a rock exposure, its craggy sides made fearsome by winding lines, like those etched into the face of a very old human. Around her the sound of the wind and the cry of either mountain ram or ground fowl too far-off to investigate in the interest of lunch went unrivaled. Grayish-brown snow lay in rare patches, melted slowly by the dusty sun that despite being bright and welcoming did not do much for the cold in these parts. Far behind her, a thousand pine trees swayed.

The mountains of Gemini were beautiful as they were gargantuan. They made her feel nostalgic. They made her feel like a god damn ant. Just how she liked it.

Make me an army, Akira had said, if not aloud, then with her eyes as cocoa met sunset, girl-king and veteran locking gazes that in many ways were much the same. Pain. Determination. FIRE. They couldn't let their mourning make them vulnerable.

Transmute that grief into action.
Silence the agony in our hearts with motion.
Never let this happen again.

Avery howled for them as dawn swallowed the last traces of night. For her peacekeepers. For the wolves who'd like to join her growing numbers. For those, perhaps, who wanted to use their teeth no longer to wound, but to protect. Cast off the moniker of War Captain once and for all; I am CAVALIER. The firebird then lunged in one smooth motion up onto the slanting cliff, muscles locking and nails scrabbling against its steep surface as she struggled for balance. She breathed out harshly, more of a snort than a sigh...

and she begin arduously to climb up toward the first ledge.

The message was clear to those arriving: follow me.
My fire is wild
My rage is deep
One black eye
Busted teeth

Played by Kotake

Offline Teddy

• Character Directory Organizer
  • Hero
  • U BABA WERK
  • Liked: 3358
  • Likes Given: 1408
Re: With all the strength of a raging fire [RECRUITMENT]
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 10:50:06 PM »
Reminder 4 self

Offline Chelae

• Gemini
  • Initiate
  • scorpion fire
  • Liked: 20
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 06:44:28 PM »
The wind was howling.

The world was a wide open canvas, if you wanted to look at it that way. In reality, it was more like an open gash: there was a way forward now, an opportunity, but at what cost? Even she knew that, still bundled in her youth. The pack right now was a really good metaphor for, something or other, which someone would surely have the patience to find after they were done with their grief.

Someone else was howling.

Chelae knew that howl. Or, well, she knew that voice. The fire that had burned in their den when mother was away, one of the few bright lights on the island. Miss Avery, babysitter, nursemaid, nearly as big and just as red as their mother. Did she, too, feel the gaping hole in her heart where Serrate laid weak and wounded? (She surely felt the hole where Tauro had been, something within Chelae that was more of a confusing ocean than a raw wound).

Regardless. Chelae knew what that meant. She knew Avery, but she knew what Avery was more. A reflection, maybe, of what Chelae could be. That's why she came.

Before her loomed the cliff and Avery climbing. There were no words, only the invitation: follow. Another day, another time, when she had been younger and softer, she would have scoffed and found a very loud excuse to leave. But she was different now and so Chelae sized up the cliff and swallowed her doubt. She, too, began to climb.

The cliff was unforgiving and she was a puppy, but she had the sheer force of will on her side. Every time she slid down again she tried again. Every time it was too steep for her where an adult would have had no trouble, she scrambled wildly until she passed it. How far could she go, at this rate? But this was the only rate that would allow her to even remotely keep up with Avery.

And she could not given in. Not now.

#AB5656
when I ran out of thread
i couldn't let go
but that's not sewing, that's
that's just poking holes
and it's a strange breed
a different kind of creature
looks for love through the eye of a needle
but the creed of the seamstress is
that you're pretty in pieces

played by spear

Offline Eve~

• Gemini
  • Regular
  • Liked: 63
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 11:27:25 PM »
Avery's call drew forth the old desert queen whose single seaside eye regarded the firebird's ascent up the mountain with a sense of curiosity. Eve knew what the firebird wanted; for them to follow, she and the speckled youth who had also arrived.

The howling wind buffeted her dusty gold and cream fur as the valkyrie inspected the gargantuan mountains before her. They reminded Eve of the walls of the main oasis, hidden away within miles and miles of sand dunes and salt fields; she'd spent time atop them plenty, stargazing with friends and lovers alike. She missed them, the simplicity and peace of those times when everything had been beautiful and benevolent. Before she had learned of the darkness of the world, before she had had everything taken from her.

The wolfdog grimaced, her scarred body beginning to move. Paws found purchase along the rocky cliffside, Eve's heart pounding away in her chest like a wild beast against cage bars. Of course she was nervous - but Eve had never been one to shy away from a challenge. The scars she wore all over her body, made by teeth and claw and super-heated metal, were proof that the valkyrie had witnessed a great deal of pain.

What was one more wound, what was one more bruise, what was one more risk?

Single eye kept track of her own steps, taking extra care with her left forepaw (the one missing two entire toes). But as she moved, Eve also took care to watch the younger girl climbing along the cliffside ahead of her. Maybe it was motherly concern, maybe it was just because the scarred woman was a good person, but Eve felt the need to protect those around her. That was why she had answered Avery's call, wasn't it?

-- because she wanted to protect Gemini, to ensure that no one else fell victim to Saboro's hungry, snapping jaws.

(profile // played by silokk // tracker // #1a9f80)

• ⚔ VALKYRIE ⚔ •

Out of the night that covers me, black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed.

Offline hyperion.

• Gemini
  • Apprentice
  • THE LIONHEART.
  • Liked: 42
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 01:02:35 AM »
He heard the firebrand's call, but the strapping young boy hesitated. The cliffs by the sea were daunting and remained unexplored by the zealous blue prince. He took on the role of fearless leader of his brood, but some things he would not test, and heights were one of them. He had no control, every step was a potential mistake that would lead to a terrifying free fall (seconds that lasted for eternities -- nightmares of falling from the ashy cliffs above the sea haunted his mind as he approached the soaring heights).

So when Avery beckoned those who arrived to scale the mountain with her, Hyperion felt unease rise in his belly and throat, even more so when he spotted Chelea following steadily behind.

Where stars collided, dust followed. Hyperion was the dust that refused to drift from the impact.

Their family had suffered enough. They had suffered enough and his red counterpart was something he refused to lose. He was too young, too weak to protect Tauro or his mother but he would protect Chelea and his siblings and his home. Their home.

(but were they trying to protect Gemini from things LIKE HIM? unpredictable, uncontrollable, unbiased in it's victims and unforgiving-)

He shook his head, trying to rid himself of these thoughts that were creating a black hole in his head. No, he was good, he wanted to do good, he was not the poison that pooled through their genes. He looked up the mountain, clouds shrouding the very top of it in it's ascent into the heavens. It was terrifying. Why was Avery trying to kill more babies

But the scarlet woman and rival sister inspired an unknown courage within the boy, and he placed a reluctant paw onto the rough surface. He followed behind Eve closely, trying to imitate each stride and exact foot placement, but it was difficult for someone half her size. He whined as he fell repeatedly, often cutting his stomach against sharp outcrops of rock and scraping his paw pads until they bled.

But he wouldn't stop until they did.

(just don't look down)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 01:05:57 AM by hyperion. »

Offline Zeke.

• Gemini
  • Apprentice
  • This is what awesome looks like.
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 06:49:21 PM »
Zeke heaved a mighty yawn that nearly split his face in two and stretched out his muscles as he blurrily blinked the sleep from his eyes. Dawn. That meant time to climb his beautiful cliffs and touch the sky like the God he was. The young male shook out his violet pelt to rid it of any dirt or debris and slipped from his den into the light of early morning. That’s when he heard the howl echo throughout Gemini, coming from the direction of the cliffs and he frowned. Ever since the Strider had approached him to seek his cliff climbing talents and put them to go use being one of her Cliffrunners Zeke had taken it upon himself to be the sole guardian of the cliffs.

With a low growl and his head held low the hellion headed towards Avery and the others. He wasn’t the first to arrive by far and his neck stretched as he tilted his head back to watch the others for a moment. The big red female was climbing with a look of determination and an air of command so he assumed she was the one in charge of this little exercise. His lip curled up into a sneer as he watched a little brown spotted pup clumsily attempt to scale the cliffs that loomed above her. A battle hardened woman covered in scars was doing pretty well but the grey boy who was trying to follow her wasn’t nearly as good.

Zeke snorted and approached the foot of the cliffs with a smirk, “Let me show you how it’s really done.” He muttered softly as he found a foothold and began to ascend with practiced expertise. While the younger pups flopped and fumbled from ledge to ledge Zeke stepped quickly, confidently and with the grace of a dancer. He easily avoided the rough patches that hurt sensitive paws and within moments he passed the pups and the blonde female until he was nearly level with the red dire. “Good morning!” He called cheerfully to her as he stepped from rock to rock like some weird mountain goat. “Lovely day for a stroll, isn’t it?” His arrogance was nearly palpable and he gave her a lopsided grin as he pushed slightly ahead of her, silently taunting. This was easy, lady.

#FFE333

Offline Nүx

• Gemini
  • Regular
  • Princess
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 11:30:36 AM »
She follows the red woman and the group from a bit of a distance, Wary.  She had wanted to find Hecate to ask about their leaving, but instead got drafted into this. It wasn’t that she was unhappy with it, but it has been a rough day for the girl who preferred to sleep through it. She would have contemplated ignoring the call and speaking to there superior another time, but what catches her attention are the small prince and princesses.

Children she had seen born.

Didn’t the red woman know that this was dangerous. She feels a panic in her chest, she follows. The rocky cliffs weren’t as challenging to her as they may have been to someone with no experience in the rocky arctic, but she wasn’t the best at it. And she goes even slower. Intent to stay below the children.

She wouldn’t let them fall. What would she tell the Queen. A grieving mother already. She worries about that a lot, the health of these children, the second litter, the ones that would never get the same kind of attention a first litter had, and the ones who would never be as important. They were no heirs.

She fines a comfort, a connection into the person she projects onto them. The person she assumes that she children are. Children that were deep and conflicted, despite the fact that they all weren’t. But she also felt protective of them. 

So slowly she goes, following the group, intent on being able to make a move if anyone needed her too. Her feet burning a bit, rock cutting into her pawpads that had softened considerably since her time in the arctic.

After sundown, before sleeping, I am the worst of me. I am a mess of these
Old themes and the murmur of half-dreams whisper seductively and
Stage scenes.
It’s fear fiction, these visions, caught somewhere between delusion and prophesy.
What I haven’t done, what I’ve wanted to, and what I fear you have
Becomes reality here.
994D46

PLAYED by critter

Offline Kotake

• Hero
  • Diagnosis is bleak.
  • Liked: 2749
  • Likes Given: 2540
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 04:45:04 PM »
probs gonna post again in a couple days

when you cut the globe like an apple core
there was a worm in the middle that
the drugs couldn't cure

Witch - Today at 11:08 PM
kotake: zebra stripes and purple and murder and edge and kawaii

Offline Witch

• Leader
  • Hero
  • You can still call me Rip it's ok I swear
    • Deviantart account
  • Liked: 8490
  • Likes Given: 7567
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 08:08:15 PM »
Akira: build me an army
Avery: lets climb this mountain to the baby wars, literal babies

Offline Kashmir

• Inaria
  • Regular
  • La nuit du chasseur
  • Liked: 38
  • Likes Given: 37
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 08:27:03 PM »
honestly did you really expect anything else of gemini

Who loved, who suffer’d countless ills
Who battled for the True, the Just
Be blown about the desert dust
Or seal’d within the iron hills

Played by Kotake

Offline vanitas

• You're an empty husk.
  • Master
  • Your heart will vanish forever.
  • Liked: 131
  • Likes Given: 140
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2017, 02:31:05 AM »
The howl struck a chord in the ex-mercenary and sent shivers down his spine. He had never loved his job. He had never felt a sense of accomplishment in war. He had never felt pride in his victories. The big brute of a wolf had felt only pain and guilt for all that he had done, so when he had returned to a pack, he had sworn that that part of his life was over. But that howl made him think otherwise.

Capro had not known those who had died, nor did he feel the fear that those of Saboro felt. He only felt a hollow lonliness in his chest where his heart should have been. He remembered watching his own siblings leave or fall, one after the other. He had been powerless to stop them. He had so much power, too much power, but couldn't do a damn thing to save them. For years, he had wallowed in self pity and shame. No more.

The red beast would be a soldier once more, but this time, he could be proud in it. He could be a warrior without any regrets, because this time he actually had something to fight for. These children who joined the adults did so because they knew the same loss and helplessness that he had so long ago. In doing so, they unknowingly became adults in the giant's eyes and he was not glad for it. They were still innocent of the truth of the world. Or they should have been. No pup should have to know what they knew. So he silently swore his oath to protect them as he couldn't protect his sisters. His brother. Capro wouldn't fail this time.

He climbed the mountain alongside his new companions. His size gave him a great deal of strength, but he didn't use it to push ahead. Instead, he clambered up slowly, keeping an eye on the children, though he did not offer them help. They had to do this on their own.

Offline Avery!

• Gemini
  • Regular
  • hear me roar
  • Liked: 32
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2017, 08:32:15 PM »
"Why was Avery trying to kill more babies?"

More like, why were literal infants trying to join her army? God. Only in Gemini.

"Nyx, and uh, you, other guy -" She couldn't actually remember Capro's name, or maybe had never learned it at all, as she called down to the two wolves over one broad shoulder, a front paw digging hard into a stepping-stone crook in the rock for leverage. "Stay behind Chelae and Hyperion. Make sure they don't fall."

Because far be it for her to crush their lofty dreams, or discourage future careers they could have been prodigies at or all she knew -- Avery probably being the sort of person who'd casually toss her kids into the water to teach them to swim -- but also far be it from her to let any of her young charges go careening backwards twenty feet down a mountainside like the little engines that couldn't. A certain dusky gold wolfdog climbed into view, and for her alone, the Cavalier's orders softened into more of a request. "You too, Eve, if you could?"

Avery looked elsewhere then, glowering with military sternness down at the smug hellion boy catching up to her. Such a serious face! What was she thinking? Except -- the fierce look suddenly cracked, and... she stuck her tongue out at him. Just a little. Blep, you little punk. A heartbeat later, she'd pushed off her back feet and cleared another foot with the jump, regaining her lead again. "You ain't wrong."

The ledge they sought was coated in grass that yellowed near the precipice, its floor patterned in the same wavy ridges the wall they'd scaled had been. The firebird grunted as she grasped it with both front legs, toes splayed and muscles taut, and hoisted herself atop the goal. She looked down at her motley crew as they finished as well, catching her breath and watching them go. When they were all together, she'd motion for them to sit if they liked and did so herself, the higher altitude sweeping cool wind over the gathering and ruffling the thick reddish hair.

"I called you here," started Avery, "because our king asked me to make her an army. It's something I've been wanting to do since... not long after I came here, actually." Recall, if you will, her proposition to Serrate once upon a time. Recall how such an idea had put a bad taste in the queen's mouth. Maybe she'd sensed that and quietly abandoned the well-intention, but clumsy idea. Times had changed. Oh, they'd changed. "I need Chevaliers. People who'll take on - or learn to take on -" Hi, Chel and Peri. "- anyone out there who wants to take on us. People who want to protect Gemini... from the sort of low-life crap of the earth... that put my friends in the hospital and their son in his grave."

She looked them all in the eyes. Not harsh, but firm. This wasn't a game, said that look. "Can you all do that?" Whatever they said, Avery would drink it all in. It was new to her, leading in this way. Striving for unity rather than obedience. "Tell me anything you think I should hear right now. Tell me about fights you've been in. Tell me why you came here and what I can teach you."

When all was said and done...

"Some of you know that I lead the peacekeepers. I'll need a second in-command, to handle the army if I'm too busy with that, or injured, or away... whatever."

Goldenrod eyes glanced toward her friend.

"Tauro Eve."

Naming her, ranking her, with this posthumous honor for a very brave prince.

"Do you accept?"
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 08:51:39 PM by Avery! »
My fire is wild
My rage is deep
One black eye
Busted teeth

Played by Kotake

Offline The Little Imp

• Hero
  • I'm The Little Imp. :3
    • My status
  • Liked: 748
  • Likes Given: 1542
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2017, 03:42:38 PM »

"Which way to the baby war?"

[bumping for Kotake.]
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 03:43:52 PM by The Little Imp »

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*
bin.
*:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Offline Eve~

• Gemini
  • Regular
  • Liked: 63
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2017, 01:07:28 AM »
The valkyrie's gears churned on, moving her body up the cliffside with little struggle. Climbing the sandstone walls of the Oasis had given her a bit of practice with things such as that, Eve supposed. The winds buffeted her golden fur, whipping it this way and that.

"Nyx, and uh, you, other guy - Stay behind Chelae and Hyperion. Make sure they don't fall. You too, Eve, if you could?"

Maybe it was the wind playing with the tones, but Eve thought perhaps Avery's voice softened when speaking to her. Single eye regarded the firebird as Eve nodded silently in affirmation, having already been watching Chelae's smaller form. Eve wouldn't let them fall. The distance down was staggering, waves crashing far below them, gulls calling shrilly on the crisp salty wind. Gemini was beautiful, so much different than where Eve had thought she would spend her entire life.

They reached the top finally, Eve's legs beginning to tire somewhat. The golden wolfdog made sure the kids found their ways to the top, to safety, before climbing up to join them. She sat nearby Avery, licking at the remaining pawpads on her left forepaw before returning it to the ground. Attention focused on Avery as the firebird began to speak.

"I called you here because our king asked me to make her an army. It's something I've been wanting to do since... not long after I came here, actually."

Gemini had had a rough past from what Eve had understood - it's founders fleeing Saboro, and those who came to Gemini fleeing pasts that haunted and sometimes followed them home. The valkyrie was ready to protect her new home from things that lurked in darkness; she had failed in leading, failed in keeping her family together. She refused to fail again. Eve said nothing to Avery, for the firebird knew all that she needed to know about the dusty golden wolfdog.

"Some of you know that I lead the peacekeepers. I'll need a second in-command, to handle the army if I'm too busy with that, or injured, or away... whatever. Tauro Eve. Do you accept?"

A shockwave caused the valkyrie's remaining seaside eye to widen slightly upon hearing Avery promote her, the scars on her face resisting the movement. Tauro Eve. Second in-command of an army.. an army of mostly babies, but an army still; she was still so new to the pack, as well. Did they trust her to lead them in Avery's absence? Eve wanted to look at those gathered, but resisted the urge; she could not allow them to think she was weak. The wolfdog gave her companion a subtle nod before speaking. "I would be honored, my Cavalier." A small inclination of her head in a respectful - and thankful - gesture signaled the end of her words, Eve uncertain of what else to say.

Being trapped as a slave for so long had shredded most of Eve's hope - but to be lifted up, and by her dearest friend's hand.. it made the small flame within her chest grow a little bit brighter.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 01:08:16 AM by Eve~ »

(profile // played by silokk // tracker // #1a9f80)

• ⚔ VALKYRIE ⚔ •

Out of the night that covers me, black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed.

Offline Chelae

• Gemini
  • Initiate
  • scorpion fire
  • Liked: 20
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2017, 03:19:09 AM »
Like the first bird she cut through the air and left a channel for those to follow. What other explanation was there for all those who arrived after her? It was the only explanation she would accept. It was the only explanation that allowed her to see her brother's grey pelt and not feel a stab of pain in her chest. What was that - the fear that she'd ruined anything they had? As the rocks bit into her paws she smothered that feeling. She drowned it in the sea of her desperation.

Part of her could only feel indignant at the adults climbing behind her, at Avery ordering them to watch over her. The only thing that softened the blow was the knowledge that one day she'd be older, one day she'd be the one dogging the heels of puppies to keep them from falling. No: the only solace was that she would not fall!

With this determination, she ignored Zeke. She ignored her brother. She ignored everyone but the flaming torch that was Auntie Avery ahead of her.

When they reached the top she struggled to catch her breath, but through sheer force of will stayed on her feet. Only when Avery motioned them to sit did she practically collapse into a pile. For a moment she felt the ground against her chest, against her cheek. But then, with aching paws, she pushed herself up so she was sitting. So she could look up and look Avery in the eyes.

"Can you all do that? Tell me anything you think I should hear right now. Tell me about fights you've been in. Tell me why you came here and what I can teach you."

Nobody spoke so she chased away the tears at the corners of her eyes and gathered her breath. "I - I fought with my siblings." Play-fought, they would assume. She felt Hyperion's presence burning close to her. "I'll get stronger. I'll train everyday. I'll do everything I have to so I can grow big and strong." Like mother. "Like you." Chelae was silent again, for just a heartbeat.

"I want to protect everyone," she said. "I want them to... to sleep without worrying." Bear that burden. And, quietly: prove her brother wrong.

"Some of you know that I lead the peacekeepers. I'll need a second in-command, to handle the army if I'm too busy with that, or injured, or away... whatever. Tauro Eve."

Chelae closed her eyes. She might have said she understood, but she didn't.

#AB5656
when I ran out of thread
i couldn't let go
but that's not sewing, that's
that's just poking holes
and it's a strange breed
a different kind of creature
looks for love through the eye of a needle
but the creed of the seamstress is
that you're pretty in pieces

played by spear