Author Topic: I Know You've Come To Take My Toys Away [PRP Rosewood]  (Read 460 times)

Offline Shatter!

• Give us your daughters, bring us your sons
  • Alteron
  • Apprentice
  • We've graves to fill and a slaughterhouse to run.
  • Liked: 44
  • Likes Given: 8
I Know You've Come To Take My Toys Away [PRP Rosewood]
« on: January 16, 2017, 01:30:40 AM »
The nature of Shatter's occupation demanded that she have an intimate understanding of Alteron's geography; at least as much as one could possibly understand the bowels of the impenetrable forest. While Shatter dedicated much of her time prowling certain routes, she found herself circling the Quarry's edge with a certain intensity. Guarding the Quarry was the Elite Patrol's jurisdiction, she understood, but the Quarry and its inhabitants were something of a personal fascination of hers.

Her skin was itching beneath her fur, like the hairs that sprouted from her body weren't part of her, like a homespun robe. She knew this twitchy, restless feeling to be the same as boredom. Her teeth were heavy in her mouth.

Shatter surveyed, from her ledge, the goings-on of the slaves toiling below. A few were bickering among each other. One hulking male, his pelt more scar tissue than fur, was monopolizing a trickle of water that had started to bleed into the pit. It was nothing more than a sliver that quickly seeped into the surrounding mud, but to the wretches of the House of Bones, food and water was a rare, precious commodity worth fighting tooth and nail over. It didn't matter that their tongues were pathetically scraping up slush and filth into their dry, gasping mouths. Water - water not dispensed in carefully regulated intervals - was water. Water was freedom.

As Shatter proceeded into the Quarry, she idly considered stomping a tyrannical paw in the middle of the stream, like she was severing a thread, just to see what would happen. There was a possibility that the slaves would turn on her, but it was equally likely that they would cower in the presence of a high-ranking official. Desperation, and more importantly, desperation denied, warped people's common sense.

Shatter did not, however, gratify this fleeting thought. Better not to rile the beasts. After all, she had such respect for the Elite Patrol, and had no intention of making their work more difficult. For now, at least.

Shatter paused. Her nose twitched, picking out the tickle of a familiar scent. The earthen stench of the Quarry almost drowned out all individual scent - so it helped that she was so terribly close to someone.

In fact, she had paused in front of her.

Shatter turned her head, peering into one of the many recesses that peppered the circumference of the Quarry. Slaves were afforded little personal space. Guards were expected to intrude upon the meager sanctuary they had been bestowed at any moment for routine inspections, or to fetch individual slaves. Shatter was able to meet the gaze of the ginger woman inside unflinchingly.

If she was another woman, Shatter would have smiled mockingly.

"I remember you," Shatter said, simply. "I thought someone would have taken you by now."

Lay down your bodies
Leave us your souls
Trade us your hardened hearts
for sulfur, death and smoke

Follow your master’s lead
Yeah, he’s so hungry
He’s got a beast to feed
Yeah, it’s so hungry

[ #FF7E00 ] | played by Sunblink.
   » tracker

Offline Rosewood

• Alteron
  • Apprentice
  • the coldest blood runs through my veins
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: I Know You've Come To Take My Toys Away [PRP Rosewood]
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 04:03:28 PM »
This was Abaddon, a space of desolation, labor, hunger, and thirst. Blood often caked the walls and stone fixtures and the smell of urine made the lingering sense of shame the bulk of them felt all the more potent. Pungent and violent the wolves of the Quarry were mostly left to their own devices, forging a community, a culture, a kingdom out of mud and agony. Since Rosewood separation for Cortana she’d been forced upon such a world and she’d made her place among the slaves as a tactician foremost and a laborer second. She made her meat by whispering secrets, by playing the cunning coy coward and attaching herself to much stronger wolves. It had worked so far, despite her mud caked pelt and the scars that made themselves home beneath her fur she had become a survivor just by selling her mind.

She’d die here, but she’d perish in the bowels of Alteron with her own sense of wealth and worth.

So that was why she’d been tucked away, trembling and muttering with murky gaze and snapping teeth. Any beast, wolf or otherwise, could lose themselves to the inhumane ideals of slave-work. No matter the fact that she’d been a peasant in Old Alteron, this space had done something more, had broken some importance piece within her. Madness snapped and cackled at the edge of her vision, and despite her sharp wit her mind began to process things in a manner that seemed almost incoherent even to her. She had to have… time to unwind, to hide and let the Voice out, who wanted to screech and gag and titter uncontrollably.

But, she was a self-proclaimed duchess first and a female devoured by lunacy second. There was no need to make a public fool of herself, not when she’d carefully built such a cool persona.

Not when she had visitors.

You…” She sneered, she trembled, she pressed her belly low to the dirt as instinct separated from hatred and demanded her subservience. “Leave me, foul woman. Leave my dreams and go!

For certainly this was nothing more than another illusion, another hallucination meant to tease and taunt her until she woke with the coming dawn and succumbed to suffering all over again.

Offline Shatter!

• Alteron
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 07:41:21 PM »
She remembered her. The slave's patchwork pelt had been dulled and dirtied by her captivity, and currently her hues were more reminiscent of dishrags than calico. Shatter had wanted to skin her alive once; now she was too dirty to make a presentable rug. As Rosewood lamented her shattered dreams and lost freedoms, Shatter merely tilted her head like she didn't understand the animosity.

For now, Shatter permitted her misconduct, though if she continued to test her, this magnanimity would not last. Shatter's eyes narrowed in an expression of something equivalent to mirth, teeth unfurling from behind black lips. "Tem-per," Shatter clicked at her, drawling out the final syllable into a throaty growl. "Don't forget your place."

Despite her outward affect, Shatter did understand animosity, and she in fact basked in it. It brought her a certain kind of thrill to know that she had been the traumatic catalyst in Rosewood's miserable life. It pleased her that Rosewood understood that she was the one who was responsible for her suffering. If Shatter had been forgotten in favor of the faceless guards that controlled the Quarry, she would have been disappointed.

For the most part, they were people doing their jobs. Shatter had ruined Rosewood's life because she had enjoyed it.

Shatter took a step into Rosewood's little alcove, dashing what little semblance of privacy that Rosewood hoped to maintain. She had destroyed her autonomy; now she brazenly infiltrated what little she could call her own. "Do you hate me for what I've done?" Shatter inquired calmly, conversationally. She moved closer, like she was trying to usher Rosewood against the wall. "I took your freedom away." She licked her teeth; hanging white like moon shards in the dark. Shatter blended in so seamlessly that it could almost be believed that Rosewood was talking with herself. "What are you going to do about that?"

If Shatter was looking for entertainment, she was the unruly neighborhood child prodding at a leashed dog from behind its fence.

Lay down your bodies
Leave us your souls

Yeah, he’s so hungry
He’s got a beast to feed
Yeah, it’s so hungry

» tracker

Offline Rosewood

• Alteron
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 09:13:13 PM »
The hallucination clicked, crafted a sound of madness and malcontent past wicked maw and saliva slick teeth. She loathed Shatter’s mirth and her teeth ached with the need to chatter with barely contained terror but she kept her expression twisted, a grotesque mask of fury and bitterness barely dried. Shatter taunted her, growl and all, and it was more than enough to shut her own muzzle but that didn’t make her petulance any less impactful.

She would yowl and screech if she wanted to! Shatter was just lucky she’d decided on silence.

Then the beast came closer.

She parted her lips in an outraged scream—“YOU’LL TRACK MUD IN HERE!

Because that’s what really mattered, still, she snapped her jaws at air and pressed against the back of the cavern as if she slender and smaller form could prove daunting in the face of murder. Then the questions came, mocking and horrid. She wanted to lunge, to sink her teeth wildly into flesh and taste the first flow of red that would ease her lust for strife and battle, but she didn’t… she knew there was little to be done and she’d always prided herself on a logical solution to an issue instead of manic slaughter.

That and, well, she was no fool. The difference in their bodies was painfully apparent. Her destruction would come swift and while she thought her suffering unbearable she was in no mood to die… not before she found Cortana.

“If I could I’d make you feel the same,” She snapped, “I’d drag your broken spirit across these uneven grounds! I’d subjugate you to instinct and submission…”

Her voice tapered off and she narrowed her brow, “Don’t patronize me. Why are you here?

Offline Shatter!

• Alteron
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 11:35:23 PM »
Rosewood trembled, mouth frozen in a sneer, but where Shatter had expected for the slave to break under her questioning, perhaps streak forward in a panicked attempt to shove Shatter away from her, she instead screamed-- "YOU'LL TRACK MUD IN HERE!" an exclamation outrageous enough to almost disturb the tranquil front that Shatter projected. Then, as if desperate to cover her own compromised mentality, Rosewood snapped defensively at the air; a haphazard warning strike. The edges of Shatter's own lips pricked in a toothy, mirthless smile, choosing not to be affronted by Rosewood's posturing.

"HEEH," Shatter enunciated, once. The display was amusing, but not enough to warrant an outright cackle. Maybe Rosewood would interpret that in itself as an insult.

After scraping together her composure, Rosewood found the nerve in her to respond to Shatter's goading, feeding the dark woman the enmity and fury that she had expected. Shatter's reply was unaffected, easy as parroting a long-echoed fact of life: "YOU CAN'T," she said with absolute certainty, "AND NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU WISH YOU COULD, YOU NEVER WILL BE ABLE TO. NOT JUST BECAUSE YOU'RE A SLAVE, BUT BECAUSE YOU'RE WEAKER THAN ME."

(Did Isaiah lay awake at night and fantasize about putting an end to the woman that murdered his mother? Did June? Or did he know that there was no point?)

But even Rosewood seemed to recognize her fantasies were merely that, and attempted to deflect Shatter with a pointed inquiry. If Shatter were another wolf entirely, she would have shrugged, because there was no real reason for her being here, and her happening upon Rosewood tucked away in her little hovel was a stroke of catastrophic misfortune. That was behind every encounter between Rosewood and Shatter: Shatter had dragged her into Alteron because she was immediately present, alone, and vulnerable. Shatter had found Rosewood in the Quarry because she saw her as she was leisurely strolling through. Had Shatter merely walked in another direction, Rosewood would have been free to wallow in her misery, defending her pitiful claim from the dung beetles.

Rosewood was just unlucky.

"I DON'T BELIEVE," Shatter began calmly, and in her next few words, perhaps revealed more of her motivations than any monologue ever could. "THAT I REQUIRE A REASON TO BE HERE. AND I DON'T BELIEVE," uttered in a harsh rasp as she once again started to advance, tracking so much of the muck and filth that caked every corner of Rosewood's precious sanctuary, "THAT I NEED TO EXPLAIN MYSELF TO A SLAVE."

The fact of the matter was that if Shatter didn't have a reason before she arrived, her reason for staying was that it amused her to do so.

Shatter stood stock still. Her teeth glinted in the darkness like an x-ray image, radiant white. "YOU DON'T WANT TO BE DIRTY...?" she asked, and that monotone voice was piqued in a way that was quite distinctly taunting -- if not an obvious premonition of what she had next devised.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 12:27:24 PM by Sunblink [Summer!] »

Lay down your bodies
Leave us your souls

Yeah, he’s so hungry
He’s got a beast to feed
Yeah, it’s so hungry

» tracker

Offline Rosewood

• Alteron
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 08:32:22 PM »
Her existence was fueled on the constant tug and pull of power. She’d been intoxicated by it back in Grimsthrope, where she’d ruled over flame with the sort of logic that often eluded her brethren. Yet, she’d fallen… mightily hard, once the pack itself had been consumed and the irony that she now held court with jesters and peasants was a painful one.

Shatter was no ordinary beast of burden though, not that it made her any more tolerable. This thing before her was the absolute definition of beast, with her damaging tone and her dominant expression. It was daunting, intimidating, terrifying and yet Rosewood had been struck by madness long before Shatter invaded her space. Natural survival instincts had been choked by a desire to wreak havoc and regain her ground. It’s an unsightly furious heat that whips through her body and makes her muscles pulse with that fight response but she was long past regret.

Screw being weaker, Rosewood would not be rolled over quietly.

Your arrogance is unbefitting.” Rose hissed, hating that her tone trembled ever so slightly and her digits spread in preparation for pain. She was more than just a slave, she had always been more, and this woman wouldn’t take her intellect and sense of worth from her even if she’d been the cause of it twisting into something less recognizable.

Then she asked a question, a horrible question and Rosewood sneered. Did she… want to be dirty?

YOU. WOULDN’T. DARE.

Offline Shatter!

• Alteron
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 04:10:39 PM »
"Your arrogance is unbefitting," snarled the impertinent slave in a voice dripping with defiance. Shatter dismissed the transgression as nothing more than worthless bristling. Her arrogance was unbefitting, but Shatter towered so very high, and here was Rosewood, sloshing about in her pigsty.

Behind the aristocracy, Rosewood was a neurotic sort, and Shatter had as much enjoyment riling her as a schoolyard bully would shoving fat kids into lockers and stealing their inhalers. Maybe as Rosewood was a fallen royal picking at the shards of her crown, Shatter was, deep down in her rotten-black heart, a nasty little troll teasing animals in their cages. Why does the neighborhood delinquent poke and prod the lion at the zoo?

to get him to bite.

"YOU. WOULDN'T. DARE," hissed Rosewood, spitting each word; for a moment, Shatter almost believed that she was foaming at the mouth. Shatter paused, as if wanting to avoid wayward flecks of spittle, and tilted her head, asking silently, Or what? The owl surveying the rodent, who did not quite expect for its quarry to turn and bare its little buck teeth.

(but at the end of the day, the mouse has its teeth, only good for cutting cheese and grain, and the owl has its TALONS)

Shatter shot for Rosewood's face, jaws extended, aiming quite deliberately for her throat as she barreled the entirety of her weight into Rosewood's body. In anticipation of a struggle, if Rosewood tried to evade her or retaliate, teeth that grasped would quickly gnash and snap in a fevered scramble at whatever exposed parts, leaving behind riddling, punishing gashes. The purpose wasn't to kill Rosewood or even to maim her. No, Shatter just wanted to make sure that she couldn't get away, and once she had that squirming bitch in her clutches,

she would plunge head into the mud.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 04:11:12 PM by Shatter! »

Lay down your bodies
Leave us your souls

Yeah, he’s so hungry
He’s got a beast to feed
Yeah, it’s so hungry

» tracker

Offline Rosewood

• Alteron
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2017, 01:44:02 PM »
There wasn’t even enough time to scream. One moment she was snarling, prepared to defend herself and the next she felt as if she were flying.

In reality, she’d been very rudely snatched from the earth by a much larger beast. There wasn’t enough room—nor enough meat on Rosewood’s bones—to properly prepare herself for the assault and while a portion of her had expected Shatter to lunge, the other half of her—about as foolish and naïve as any other portion—though the creature would be sophisticated enough to hold back.

What a silly though, this wolf did not hold back.

So, it’s less of a surprise and more of a furious shock that she finds herself held and plunged into the mud.

Now, that of course makes her scream.

She goes wild, screeching, flailing, wriggling, arching, doing all that she can to escape the hold of the monster trying to dirty her more so than she already is. She kicks out her legs in hopes that she can hurt something anything on the beast that sought to shame her.

And certainly, she is very shamed. Shamed by her weakness, by how far she has fallen. Shamed by the excitement that hums through her viens and sends her heart rattling. Shamed by her loss of composure and the loud echoing voice along her mentality that taunts her—

told you so, told you so, told you so

--and shamed by the fact that this is such a horrifically thrilling encounter. She feels alive in a way she hadn’t before. Though she is weak—for now—and irrelevant, this wolf sought to shower her in attention anyway.

She can’t help but be happy about that, happy to be noticed, to be seen.

OH OH OH!! NO NO NO NO!!!

But she desperately doesn’t want to feel that way.

Offline Shatter!

• Alteron
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2017, 12:44:13 PM »
Shatter overwhelmed her easily, falling upon Rosewood like a bat swooping for a rodent (or an Owl with its talons outstretched), gathering her ruff in her jaws and dragging her into the mud, Rosewood squirming, screeching, her incoherent mumbling petering out into a muffled splurch as her face was shoved into the sludge. Shatter breathed out with some satisfaction, leaning in with all her weight so to keep her pinned-- and lurched in place as Rosewood thrashed suddenly beneath her, loosing an enormous scream that seemed too big for her dainty lungs.

Rosewood fought her, though she was weak from starvation and exhaustion and whatever other atrocities this wretched prison had inflicted on her, with all the finesse of a rabid beast starving for meat. Legs kicked out wildly, catching Shatter in the neck, and that startled her enough for Shatter to release her, breath tangling in her windpipe. Shatter backed off, hoarsely rasping, wheezing until her frenetic gasps managed to regain its former rhythm.

She blinked, disbelieving. She realized that this pathetic slave had caused her pain. That Rosewood had resisted her. Perhaps if there was enough strength behind that shove and if she had found the right angle, she could have crushed her esophagus.

Mutually stained with mud and pain, Shatter blearily watched as Rosewood howled in despair, wailing NO, NO, NO! to the ceiling of her jail cell. As if she could not believe that she had crossed that line -- that Shatter had successfully goaded her into abandoning her tenuous pretense at civility and pride. Now she was down here, wallowing with the rest of the animals. Slaves were slaves, but at least they had limited command of their faculties. Animals just hungered.

But the good thing about animals, Rosewood, is that unlike slaves, they can fight.

"FIGHT ME!" Shatter roared, disconcertingly loud in comparison to her previously monotone, brooding elocution. FIGHT ME, EVEN IF YOU'RE TOO WEAK TO RESIST ME.

She wanted Rosewood to fight her. She wanted dangerous prey.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 12:59:51 PM by Sunblink [Summer!] »

Lay down your bodies
Leave us your souls

Yeah, he’s so hungry
He’s got a beast to feed
Yeah, it’s so hungry

» tracker

Offline Rosewood

• Alteron
  • Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 10:23:07 PM »
The disgust that filled her overpowered any semblance of nobility. She’s furious, rightfully so, and even that emotion is embrace wholeheartedly. For, what was better to feel, better to twist to her needs, than anger and hatred? Anything is better than the numb that had consumed her and the repetitive nature of her endless days and broken sunsets. This humiliation, though unwarranted, will be remembered for some time. She’d keep her shame close, and eventually, maybe, this wolf would pay for their… blatant disrespect.

But not today.

Not while they both flop around in the muck like undignified fish, her with her screaming, Shatter with the sounds of aggression and interest. Yet, eventually Rosewood would thrust out a foot and… goodness, what pleasure, what sublime pride and wicked happiness when she manages to make the beast back off from her. It allows Rosewood to gain a half-seated position. To hiss and sneer as mud drops from fur and splatters her muzzle. Her gaze burns, twists with the crowing storm of her salvaged dignity and her absolute joy at having caused this woman some discomfort.

She’d have done more if she’d had her strength, that’s certain.

Then the roar came, enough to shatter any sense of superiority Rosewood had managed to covet. It inspires within her a mild terror, one that clashes with her anger, one that makes her muzzle twist up in grotesque disapproval. Fight her? Fight her? FIGHT HER?

HOW BARBARIC!” Rosewood screeches, stumbling, ungracefully, to her four feet, tail erect and chest out. Her gaze is wild. She’s WILD. Shatter makes her this way. Makes her… SHINE far to brightly! She can’t stop the voice, it bubbles in her throat like bile and claws at her tongue—

YOU WILL CRY, ONE DAY, TO ME! YOU WILL YOWL, YOUR PAINS INSTEAD OF MY OWN!

Does she make much sense? It doesn’t matter? She’s frightened, out of her mind in fact, but she cannot disobey an order to release her fury. So she drives forward, in a lunge, with snapping teeth---this small tiny wolf, this pathetic slave—because she’s been told to.

Because, because, because….

Because somehow Shatter is already her master and she wants to make her suffer for that.

Offline Shatter!

• Alteron
  • Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2017, 12:24:10 AM »
Outrage boiled behind Rosewood's indignant stare, her lips twisting in a wild and revolted sneer that reeked of pride even through her overwhelming disgust. Seconds ticked by as she absorbed what, exactly, she had inflicted on her assailant, those mud-darkened eyes burning with elation that Shatter could palpably feel in the air. She knew that Rosewood was admiring her handiwork because all animals that had enjoyed the accomplishment of felling a wildebeest or succeeding in combat could relate to that satisfaction.

And most oddly, although it had been Shatter who had received the winding blow, she shared in Rosewood's triumph with a vicarious, almost perverse thrill. Likening herself to a prey animal should have been an insult. It went against everything that Shatter believed in. Struggle was what separated victims from the dead. Those who did not fight would die.

What use was a sniveling puppet that only laid there and sobbed as she eviscerated it? Rosewood had managed to distinguish herself among the puling rabble merely by insisting that she deserved better.

"HOW BARBARIC," Rosewood screeched, offended by Shatter's demand but nevertheless rising to the challenge, continuing to indulge that dark and festering part of her that Shatter's antagonism had teased to the surface. The truth of her feelings had been boiling under her skin and she shrieked it at the top of her lungs with the great cathartic release of a preteen boy swearing in church. "YOU WILL CRY, ONE DAY, TO ME! YOU WILL YOWL, YOUR PAINS INSTEAD OF MY OWN!"

Other Masters would have treated this threat with the magnitude that such insolence deserved. Shatter, however, encouraged it. She told her slave to resist her. Shatter did not understand love. She had attachments; that was beside the point. Violence and animosity, however, were second nature to her. If Rosewood promised to kill her, perhaps that could happen. And though Shatter was invested in her continued survival (if for no other reason than it was her preference), she was undeniably excited by the looming danger. Nothing else felt real to her -- only the weight of a guillotine dangling over her exposed neck.

Love was irrational. Hatred always had a reason.

"MAYBE ONE DAY I WILL," Shatter said, pointed, objective and unoffended. Following her outburst, Shatter's voice dropped to a gravelly wheeze that was barely audible.

Silence. Both women hovered in an awkward armistice, disheveled pelts mussed with mud. Shatter's labored breaths tasted tangy in the back of her mouth. Shatter tipped her head like she was analyzing her options, and pronounced, "YOU AMUSE ME." Beat. "I'LL MAKE YOU MINE."

That was it. From henceforth Rosewood was Shatter's property and based on her tone, this was not up for negotiation. Rosewood would undeniably be delighted to find that even in the worst chapter of her life, there was always another nadir to reach. Shatter had prepared a caveat: "FOLLOW ME, AND I'LL MAKE SURE NO ONE LIKE ME EVER BESTS YOU AGAIN."

Either way, they were leaving together; it was merely more convenient that they walk out of the Quarry together rather than Shatter having to drag an incapacitated slave back to her quarters. In the end, she was extending a courtesy to Rosewood that her previous guardian had, and though Rosewood could not recognize it, there would come a time that she would realize it was the greatest offer anyone had ever given her. Survival was infinitely more useful than compassion.

If Rosewood did not succeed, then she could continue to amuse Shatter with her useless threat-slinging; at least until the charade bored her. If nothing else, Rosewood would provide a reliable source of entertainment.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 09:41:13 AM by Sunblink [Summer!] »

Lay down your bodies
Leave us your souls

Yeah, he’s so hungry
He’s got a beast to feed
Yeah, it’s so hungry

» tracker