Author Topic: low light, mercury morning (prp deidra)  (Read 317 times)

Offline Alana~

• Leader
  • Regular
  • don't close your eyes, don't be afraid.
  • Liked: 56
  • Likes Given: 23
low light, mercury morning (prp deidra)
« on: December 13, 2016, 02:15:57 AM »
The recent pack meeting she had held had accomplished quite a bit, Alana thought. Perhaps she was just too optimistic, but the Queen really did believe that things were beginning to look up. There was still much to do, many new faces to meet and plenty of trainees to put to the test.. it was all so daunting. She was confident in her own abilities to accomplish these goals, even if it was going to take a bit of time to do. They certainly had an abundance of time, didn't they, in their peaceful paradise.

One of the first things on Alana's to-do list was to assess the stock of medicine and medical supplies that would have to carry Nardir through the harsh winter to come. She made her way through the territory, lush fur blown about softly by the chilly breeze rolling through. In her mouth was a ginger root, thick and unpleasant in her mouth. It did wonders for colds, though, and would be needed more likely than not before winter's end. It had taken a bit of digging to find it, but the payoff would be worth the effort. Alana inhaled the cold wintry air through her dark red nose, the feeling crisp and refreshing. The Halo's cache entered into her field of vision, the Queen winding through a few scattered bushes still clinging to life - holly bushes, prickly leaves unpleasant to step on with their sharp edges.

Alana deposited her ginger root in the small little den and began picking through the other stashes, making a list in her mind of what they had and what was needed. It would probably be in their best interests to gather a few herbs and other useful items from the Inbetween when the search party was out. The thought of the search party made Alana anxious. What if they never found anyone they were looking for? What if Mercury was gone forever, what if something terrible had happened to Julek? There were others, many others - forgotten Nardiri left behind, tragedy after tragedy breaking their family into pieces. The Queen frowned, a rough sigh escaping her. No way was she going to allow herself to think like that, that was how people lost hope.

Approaching footfalls alerted the Queen to the upcoming arrival of another, a welcome distraction from her own mind. Alana turned and made her way outside of the medicine cache den, rolling her shoulders and offering a pleasant smile to whoever approached. Likely one of the Halos, or someone who was seeking medical aid - with the amount of Nardiri afflicted with illness, she imagined plenty were still recovering.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 02:16:36 AM by Alana~ »

you wanna give up 'cause it's dark, we're really not that far apart
so let your heart, sweet heart be your compass when you're lost
and you should follow it wherever it may go
when it's all said and done, you can walk instead of run
'cause no matter what you'll never be alone, never be alone oh oh oh

Offline Deidra

• Suckin' too hard on your lollipop
  • Nardir
  • Initiate
  • oh, love's gonna get you down
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: low light, mercury morning (prp deidra)
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 02:01:16 AM »
Deidra had been there for the meeting, shockingly enough. If you asked the average Nardiri, they would be hard pressed to recall that fact, but truthfully, she had been there. Ordinarily, her presence was something that simply could not be ignored, as the girl couldn't seem to arrive anywhere without loudly announcing it. Instead, she had shuffled to the back of the crowd and huddled somewhere unseen, inconspicuous and silent among a parade of noisy faces. The complete absence of noise was so paradoxical that it may as well have been that she wasn't there at all.

In reality, Deidra hadn't been leaving her den much at all for the past few weeks; yet more peculiar behavior. The bright, vivacious canine had become a recluse. It had little to do with Saelac's disappearance, or the fact the Reporters had been disbanded -- those were all unfortunate events, but as disappointed as she was, she knew she would inevitably move on to better opportunities. Hopefully, Saelac would return home at the same time as Julek.

Deidra was a social creature. She wasn't a subtle one, but she knew when to keep an ear open for gossip. She knew about the plague. When the symptoms began to take root in her body -- her lungs constricting tight in her chest, spasmodically clenching every time she drew breath, eyes watery, nose dripping a liquid substance that built in her nasal cavity like sludgy little bricks. The boundless energy that fueled her body had been utterly tapped out, and now she only functioned on faint, flickering sparks. She only felt like sleeping.

Deidra stumbled through Nardir in a dizzy, confused haze. The more she ruminated on her condition, the harder it became to focus on walking, and keeping her feet moving. Her chest clenched tighter. She paused to collect herself and work on expelling the mucus from her nostrils, her face scrunching up in an undignified knot before she fired a blast of snot into the nearby bushes. A heavy bead of soupy green goo dangled from the edge of her snout. She smeared it away with the back of her paw.

Clearly, she had the plague. Who knew how much time she had left? She never imagined that she would die in such a terrible, unexpected way. All she could do now was analyze her options. The Halos were struggling to treat the plague and understand its symptoms, so it wasn't something that could be cured by a visit to the doctor's. Thinking about it made her head hurt. She didn't want to think about it, but--

Deidra's nose was so clogged that she hadn't realized she had zombie-walked into Alana's domain. She blinked blearily at her queen, suddenly overcome with embarrassment at her disheveled, booger-stained appearance, and then -- a single lightbulb materialized in the fog filling her brain. "Queen Alana!" she exclaimed, punctuating her greeting with a labored sniff. "I was jus - uh..."

For every word that left her mouth, Deidra had to pause to sniffle or wheeze. "Yer... n-not busy're anythin', are ya?" she asked. They had never had the chance to speak in private before, but perhaps Deidra had cultivated enough of a reputation for herself for her subdued tone to register as particularly uncharacteristic.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 02:01:37 AM by Deidra »

I backed my car into a cop car the other day
Well, he just drove off sometimes life's okay
I ran my mouth off a bit too much, oh, what did I say
Well, you just laughed it off it was all okay.

Well, a fake Jamaican took every last dime with that scam
It was worth it just to learn from sleight of hand
Bad news comes, don't you worry, even when it lands
Good news will work its way to all them plans.

[ #993300 ] | played by Sunblink
   » tracker

Offline Alana~

• Leader
  • Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 02:10:33 AM »

The state of the approaching Nardiri made the Queen's smile fall from her face, replaced by a look of worry and concern that was very motherly. Snot dribbling out of crusted nostrils, bleary red eyes with bags hanging underneath, slouched and dog-tired posture.. Alana could tell Deidra was sick just by looking at her.

"Queen Alana! I was jus - uh... Yer... n-not busy're anythin', are ya?"

"Not at the moment," Alana answered, stalking forward on long deer-legs, inspecting the younger girl. Stepping back, the Queen offered Deidra a small smile. "Been feeling a little down lately, have we?" Cocking her head to the left, Alana wondered how long Deidra had been sick, and if she had come in for treatment by one of the Halos before (and if Deidra hadn't, why not).

Depending on the girl's symptoms, the Queen didn't believe Deidra to have come down with the Sun flu. Blistering fevers and dehydration, vomiting, and many more of the worst possible symptoms an illness could cause, came with that terrible flu. To Alana, it looked like Deidra simply had some congestion and maybe a light fever here or there; nothing too serious.

Still, Alana wanted to treat those symptoms and ease the Nardiri girl's pain and discomfort. "What have your symptoms been? Any fever or vomiting?" Key questions to help the compassionate woman figure out what Deidra was sick with and how best to treat her - but the Queen was interested in knowing just what Dei had gone through and wanted to ensure that the girl healed well.

Alana cared deeply about her Nardiri, and considered each and every one of them her family. She only wished to help them lead full, happy lives.

Hopefully Deidra hadn't been suffering with her illness for too long. Alana knew just how awful colds and the flu could be to have to go through - and while it was possible to alleviate the discomfort and pain, there were no ways that any healer knew of to completely stop that terrible, gross virus in it's tracks. Some sicknesses simply had to run their course. If Deidra was lucky, hopefully her sickness was just about done.

Offline Deidra

• Nardir
  • Initiate
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 09:50:52 PM »
Deidra was immediately struck by the genuine nature of her concern. As a Queen, Alana had no obligation to humor her worries, nor regard Deidra as an equal; nevertheless, she conducted herself with grace and sympathy, evidently unperturbed by Deidra's intrusion into her personal time. Still feeling self-conscious, even with the concerning nature of her affliction, Deidra edged closer so Alana could inspect her, while still maintaining reasonable distance to avoid contaminating her.

"Been feeling a little down lately, have we?" Alana asked. Deidra snuffled loudly in confirmation.

"It that obvious?" she cracked, intended as a joke which she instantly regretted. After laughing at her own effing joke in a halfhearted and obviously forced way, Deidra coughed and quieted herself. "Um-- I mean. Yea--yes."

Alana asked her to describe the symptoms. Deidra paused to think. "Bit a' fever, yeah-- uh, no vomiting, but it was real bad a week ago. It stopped but I still, uh--" she fidgeted. One out of two of the symptoms was better than she expected, but it still wasn't complete validation. In Deidra's mind, Alana was clearly trying to match her symptoms with the plague sufferers. Thank God Deidra never discovered Med MD.

"Queen Alana, do I got the plague?" Deidra blurted out suddenly. She took a deep breath, well as she could manage through her clogged sinuses, and swallowed the urge to retch. "C-Cause I've been sick fer a while, an', an' I'm really not feelin' well, an' what if this turns inta somethin' worse? I'm too young ta die!"

» tracker

Offline Alana~

• Leader
  • Regular
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 11:53:04 PM »

Alana loved to help people. She loved to help people so much, that she wasn't even deterred by the massive streams of snot and eye goop streaming down Deidra's face like gross waterfalls of ick. In truth, Alana had seen worse - a lifetime of playing doctor to whoever needed her assistance, and motherhood, had taken her on one wild, oozing, snotty, disgusting ride. Deidra's dribbles were hardly any concern of Alana's, and neither was catching the illness the Astronomer was currently afflicted with.

"It that obvious? Um-- I mean. Yea--yes."

The matriarch offered up a humored grin at Deidra's antics, but her heart crumbled into pieces upon hearing the girl hacking and coughing. Poor thing - why hadn't she sought medical attention sooner?

"Bit a' fever, yeah-- uh, no vomiting, but it was real bad a week ago. It stopped but I still, uh-- Queen Alana, do I got the plague? C-Cause I've been sick fer a while, an', an' I'm really not feelin' well, an' what if this turns inta somethin' worse? I'm too young ta die!"

As Deidra carried on in an almost panicked manner about having the plague and dying, Alana's brows rose, the Queen suppressing the urge to chuckle. How sick did the girl think she was, exactly? Then again, with fever, of course Deidra felt like death. "Deidra my dear, you don't have the plague," Alana said reassuringly, stepping a bit closer to inspect the girl better. Fever, sniffling, long-term.. but no vomiting, which was a good sign. "I believe you have what's known as a cold," she teased, grinning at Deidra in a friendly way.

"How long have you been feeling like this exactly? One week, two?" Perhaps if she'd sought treatment immediately instead of waiting until her symptoms were at their worst, Deidra wouldn't have felt as bad as she did. While waiting for a reply, Alana turned to the herb cache and began to gather the necessary medicine together. A bit of hyssop, ginger root shreds, elderflower buds, and some feverfew would work wonders. Alana bundled it all together into a pile on the flat rock they ground their medicine on, and rolled the thick rolling pin-esque stone back and forth until she was satisfied.

She retrieved a turtle shell from near the rock and scooped up a bit of water from the nearby stream. Into the water the medicinal mixture went, and Alana sat it down in front of Deidra. "This will help with the fever and the coughing and congestion. I'll mix up some more for you to take back home, but you shouldn't take any more today. One mix a day, with water and a meal, for five days, okay?" Alana looked at Deidra expectantly, a motherly smile placed gracefully on her muzzle.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 08:43:52 PM by silokk »

Offline Deidra

• Nardir
  • Initiate
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 11:36:59 PM »
"Deidra my dear," began Alana as she delivered her prognosis, Deidra's panicked consciousness somehow stretching that infinitesimal lull into an eternity, "You don't have the plague."

At the knowledge that she would hopefully not be puking herself into an early, puke-filled grave, Deidra's mood instantly perked. She soared through the clouds with regained optimism, though the revelation that she had been wracked with despair over a common cold landed with an unceremonious whud. She almost thought of asking Alana if she was sure, more out of embarrassment at her own hysterics than anything else, but she suspected that she shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth. However, Alana would most certainly note the befuddlement that crossed Deidra's features, and the pinkish tint that rose in her ears.

"Oh!" Deidra stated, tacking on the exclamation mark just so she didn't seem too mortified. Thankfully, the chagrin was secondary to the overwhelming relief that she felt. She skipped along to answer Alana's remaining questions, which were a lingering formality. "O-Oh, uh, yeah-- 'bout two weeks," she stammered, trying (unsuccessfully) not to let her shock show.

As Alana quizzed her, the Lunar Queen began preparing ingredients, retrieving a turtle shell that she began filling with herbs. Deidra let her eyes wander to the Queen as she worked, innately fascinated by the procedure, though she barely understood it herself. Once she was finished, Alana presented her with a poultice which, reportedly, would abate her symptoms. Deidra happily accepted it, gingerly taking the piping-hot turtleshell in her paws. She could smell nothing emanating from the concoction that immediately made her apprehensive. Alana offered to make her more, although Deidra was loathe to impose on the Queen any longer.

However, Deidra refused to spend another week bedridden just because she stupidly decided to swallow her pride.

"Gosh, ya really don't have to do that!" Deidra blurted, but scrambled to cover her ass, less she seem too ungrateful. "Um-- thank ya! Sorry 'bout botherin' ya-- guess it was nothin' after all, huh. I'm not usually so, uh..." Annoying? Paranoid? She couldn't find the word for it. Speaking it aloud somehow felt even more embarrassing.

» tracker