Author Topic: lazy streetlight [r.iv, Kappa]  (Read 321 times)

Offline Croatoan.

• Saboro
  • Regular
  • lavish mansions, vintage wine
  • Liked: 28
  • Likes Given: 6
lazy streetlight [r.iv, Kappa]
« on: November 23, 2016, 08:47:29 PM »
Her life hadn't been carefully mapped out with a ballpoint pen like the nightwalkers.  Chosen from birth, they were granted a feather while the rest are given a grey, lifeless stone.  But the nightwalkers are given the coveted red tattoo outright.  They're the divine.  And there was the slave-born, a woman of the very bog that Saboro rose from.  She could have sworn -- as a child, she could remember a glimpse of the tattooed dire queen, now lost in the jungle with the rest. 

When Croatoan was away from her nightwalker, she could feel her heart trying to escape the chasms between her ribs.  She tried to keep it in, holding paws to chest and begging herself not to bleed out before nightfall.  And then she would find her surgeon to stitch her back up again. But to every surgeon, there was an alchemist, and she could see right through him when she spotted him.  A wraith, a honey-eyed thing the same age as Shrike though he looked nothing like her.  She could only assume this was the esteemed Kappa -- whom she had to compete with Shrike for attention at first.  Funny, she'd never met him.

Despite her inner thoughts, the doberman wasn't the kind for pettiness out loud.  She stood at the base of the lava pillar at the heart of the fourth ring, tall black rock towering over her head.  The woman was searching for something, nose to the ground as she trotted across the rocky black ground.  She only noticed Kappa when she sniffed his feet, lifting her head to accidentally bump the male's face.  "OH -- my."  The elite backed up a few steps.  "M'apologies, I didn' notice yah there."

They didn't know it when they turned me loose
I shot the sheriff and I slipped the noose
The law ain't never been a friend of mine
I would kill again to keep from doing time
You should never ever trust my kind

profile . player . bin

[9:04:47 PM] hot homeless dad: cro effing rushes in with a butcher knife and an apron
[9:04:50 PM] hot homeless dad: IM GONNA CULL IT!!!!!!

Online papa franku

• she/her
  • Kink-Shaming Brigade
  • Hero
  • yumyum
    • My status
    • Commissions
  • Liked: 1762
  • Likes Given: 439
Re: lazy streetlight [r.iv, Kappa]
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 10:01:14 PM »
back 2 front page

Offline Kappa

• into fire you can send us, and from the fire we'll return
  • Saboro
  • Apprentice
  • there is violence in my heart
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 01:00:20 AM »
The lava pillar stood as a grim reminder of the destructive power the volcano wielded. So much chaos and loss; in the wake of the volcano's fury, Saboro's might had been but a whimper in the wind. That the wolves of Saboro remained so close to such a danger after witnessing the hell it created more than once said something about the resilience of Saborans.

That, or their stupidity.

So distracted by his thoughts was he that Kappa genuinely did not notice the golden form nearing him. Only when she bumped him did the Nightwalker's butterscotch gaze focus in, a low growl borne more from surprise than anger slipping through his teeth before dying out rather quickly.

"OH -- my. M'apologies, I didn' notice yah there."

He regarded her for a moment in silence, gears within his skull turning efficiently. "Mmph. No harm done." There was something familiar about this wolfdog - yes, she was an elite, wasn't she? Kappa was uncertain, but rather than risk disrespecting an elite, the Nightwalker bowed his head respectfully.

"An ominous reminder," Kappa commented casually, honeywheat eyes inspecting the lava pillar rising like some demonic monolith. Looking at it almost made Kappa uneasy; he remembered the feeling of flames burning away his fur, his flesh sizzling as he ran through the jungle as fire lit up the night.

"Kappa." An introduction only of name; the tattoos covering his body told the rest.

i am so sorry for the ridiculously long wait pls forgive me.......

'Cause you told me that I would find a hole
within the fragile substance of my soul,
and I have filled this void with things unreal
and all the while, my character it steals.

Darkness is a harsh term, don't you think?
And yet it dominates the things that I see.

Offline Croatoan.

• Saboro
  • Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 09:55:54 PM »
it's all good! <3

Dumb move on her part, running right into an admittedly large and handsome nightwalker.  If this were a rom com, she would have laughed nervously, rubbed the back of her head with a sheepish grin spread across her face.  But she was happy with Nereid and Shrike, so this unknown man would just have to settle with his own mate.  As if it was a problem, Maesa and Kappa were the Brangelina of Saboro.  Greatest couple in the world.  Her surprised hiss didn't come without slight reprimand -- a shocked snarl that erupted from the nightwalker.  Oh, Jesus Christ, Croatoan, get it together.  She shook her fur, stepping back to see who exactly this was.

And how would she know he was her brother-in-law?  No way she could.  She didn't even think of it, let alone bring up her wife's name.  "Mmph. No harm done."  Really, though?  She had been so occupied with current events and churning thoughts that she didn't even see the big guy.  Idly, she wondered why he was here, but the thought didn't remain a mystery for long.

"An ominous reminder," his cool voice came.  Pointed muzzle turned up to view the terror - and majesty - of the volcanic column.  Maybe skeletons still cackled at her from deep within the igneous rock, maybe her sons still watched her, only their heads poking up from the hardened black rock.  Despite whatever ghosts remained, the morning had tasted like grapefruits and bustling birds.  Life goes on.  No matter who has died. "I lost two sons."  She hadn't realized getting so personal so quickly was likely unorthodox, but she didn't mind.  Connecting with other members was hard when she mainly kept to herself and her charges.

Head turned to meet wheat eyes.  "Did you lose anyone?"  Didn't have to answer that of course.  Turned back to look into the column, as if searching for Kodachi and Snow.  A rib, singed fur, anything.  Maybe not finding them was good.  Maybe they survived.  "Kappa."  The vulture nodded, guessing his rank from the tattoos etched across his body.  Croatoan, however, was void of red ink, so she paired name with rank as always.  "Croatoan, Vulture."

A pause. 

"Has the volcano erupted like this before?"

profile . player . bin

[9:04:47 PM] hot homeless dad: cro effing rushes in with a butcher knife and an apron

Offline Kappa

• into fire you can send us, and from the fire we'll return
  • Saboro
  • Apprentice
  • there is violence in my heart
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 04:20:41 AM »
Nothing violent seemed to be on the minds of either canine after their less-than-graceful collision, and Kappa was content to keep it that way. There was enough blood being spilled in Saboro's jungles, the trees fed by crimson. He didn't want to add to that red stream over something so small.

Butterscotch eyes watched the woman study the magma pillar with interest and perhaps a hint of reverence. It was something to be respected, even feared; there was nothing about the thought of melting in a river of liquid fire that wasn't frightening, even to the Nightwalker who had seen so much. The blotchy scars along his side crackled and pulled as he moved, as if echoing his thoughts. They were proof of the destructive power of the volcano, and he'd received only a glancing blow.

"I lost two sons."

Her words caught Kappa off-guard, wheat eyes narrowing as he inspected her. Had she loved them, her lost sons? Kappa had never known the love of either parent, only the firm and instructive voices of the denmothers and ranked wolves who had raised him -- a machine child, programmed and modified to fit the specifications of a loyal Saboran. Kappa said nothing, but his gaze softened slightly; it hurt to lose the ones you loved. What was he to say? 'I'm sorry' didn't seem appropriate, or very genuine, so the Nightwalker opted instead for silence.

"Did you lose anyone?" the doberman mix asked him. The image of his mother standing across the ravine came to mind again, ash and smoke thick in the air, the crackle of Saboro's life as it burned and suddenly, she was there - Shrike, his firebird, his other half. They had been inseperable as youths, but as time marched on, Shrike simply disappeared. It had been a shock to find her again, then of all moments as though she had been reborn from the flickering flames. They had raged at their traitorous mother together, two pairs of gnashing, snapping jaws.. but he had not seen much of her since. "No," Kappa said simply after a moment, honeywheat eyes drifting back to the other canine.

"Has the volcano erupted like this before?"

Kappa had been ushered into the world with the volcanic eruption on their heels. Barely alive, they were greeted with smoke and ash and turmoil, but of course, he and his sister had been far too young to remember such things. He knew of the stories told of the eruption, how it decimated the packlands and killed more than a few unsuspecting Saborans. Large head nodded solemnly, his dusty wheat gaze inspecting the magma pillar once more. "My sister and I had just been born, I believe," Kappa began. "The eruption destroyed a satellite group that lived directly in the shadow of the mountain, or so I've heard." Whether that was true or not, Kappa did not know. Had the first blast been more brutal than the second? Had the smaller pack taken the brunt of the volcano's assault? They must have, to have been completely obliterated. But, that was all just hearsay.

"Two eruptions that we know of.. countless deaths and losses, and yet, we remain." Curious, wasn't it? 

'Cause you told me that I would find a hole
within the fragile substance of my soul,
and I have filled this void with things unreal
and all the while, my character it steals.

Darkness is a harsh term, don't you think?
And yet it dominates the things that I see.

Online silokk

• There are so many colors that I still try to hide while I paint And there are so many tunes that I secretly sing as I wait
  • Pack Alpha
  • Hero
  • Liked: 1382
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 05:15:48 PM »
nudging this up a bit

There is no difference in what we're doing in here
That doesn't show up as bigger symptoms out there
So why spend all our time in dressing our bandages
When we've the ultimate key to the cause right here,
our underneath

Offline Croatoan.

• Saboro
  • Regular
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 04:29:25 AM »
Nothing particularly shady had crossed Kappa's features.  She didn't mind having to fight someone like him; bulky, granted she had fought people similar to him before.  But there was a certain introverted peacefulness that kept his eyes docile, quiet and content.  She had forgotten what the sweetness of simple smalltalk tasted like; each body had so far been composed of self-righteous starlight and aggression.  Some had thrown themselves upon a pike in self-martyred exploitation of their complete and utter bravery.  Bravo?

The vulture didn't understand the pining for valor.  She had never been the kind to backpedal lies for a gold star, but that was just her.  Slaves weren't the kind to bother with a pat on the head by their boss.  Croatoan had fought tooth and nail from a mud puddle to nobility, the lives of marshland royalty tucked under her belt.

It didn't really matter, Saboro was a good place to restart.  For all they knew, she was also a denmother that told the kids stories and didn't eat them in a neglected fit of insatiable hunger.  Pale copper eyes seemed to follow the stump-tailed vulture survey the tall, blobby towers above them.  The recent eruption had left many without family members, herself included.  She thought she was handling it well, but she felt hollow hearing it out loud.  Her admission of loss was little more than a catalyst for pleasant conversation, but a quick glance to his expression told her that her idea of smalltalk was... a lot different than his.

She almost tried to joke, pressing black lips into a thin line of a smile.  "My sister and I had just been born, I believe, the eruption destroyed a satellite group that lived directly in the shadow of the mountain, or so I've heard." Ah, so there had been another.  She felt some sort of absolution to the notion that maybe another mother in another time lost everything she had ever loved.  Frostbitten gunmetal eyes glanced across the negative space to a particularly nasty set of water-starved scars dappled across Kappa's pelt.  She had been more torn by the war, though the bottoms of her feet hadn't been spared to the pain of fire while searching for her children.

She had saved Kappa's sister.  She wondered if she should bring that up, but something humble within her scolded to keep it down.  Though she felt some warped sense of pride for goading Shrike out of the burning foliage, she never intended to brag to others.  Instead, she kept that quietly to herself as an invisible trophy for doing something gallant.  "Two eruptions that we know of.. countless deaths and losses, and yet, we remain."

She'd find herself caught between an awkward silence and the impulse to do jazz hands and run off, but there was something about meeting her wife's sister (unbeknownst to him, maybe) that intimidated the vulture into behaving.  Her angular face broke away from goldenrod eyes to aim that pointy muzzle to the top of the column, black and lifeless now. "Survival of the fittest, I s'pose."

profile . player . bin