Author Topic: Broken [Alaina]  (Read 218 times)

Offline Tolf

• I keep breaking my heart over and over
  • Kink-Shaming Brigade
  • Hero
  • and looking for some one else to blame
    • DeviantArt
  • Liked: 1001
  • Likes Given: 1826
Broken [Alaina]
« on: October 05, 2016, 05:33:17 PM »
He had a terrible gash on his forehead over his right eye, and a gruesome burn had charred his face and nostrils on the same side in something truly grotesque, frightening even. Afua had never thought himself vain, but looking at his reflection in the water made him feel a keen loss. He knew he would never look like his average self again. What's more it would be a permanent reminder of his failure.

His sense of smell was damaged, the young healer Caleb, tried to give him hope but Afua knew his sense of smell would never be the same. His right leg was also charred, the muscle connecting leg to body was heavily damaged, almost as if it had melted in on itself. Afua could remember the pain he went through as he was healing, even though he’d been heavily drugged throughout. At least now he could leave the den, but his walk was a slow and painful process.

His little brother and the shy healer both urged him to stay off it. It wouldn't heal properly if he walked on it they said. But he couldn't remain holed up any longer. Afua hadn't stopped patrolling his territories for a single day since he’d become a member of Aryion, sans the few weeks Kafele had been deathly ill. To be bedridden was torture, to know he was crippled for the rest of his life was worse.

Walking kept his mind on the pain and not on his thoughts. Try as he might he couldn't remember what happened. He didn't know how he cut himself and burned half his face. In the back of his mind he told himself it was important, but dwelling on it gave him killer headaches. It was disorienting. It was frightening.

His slow limp came to a stop under a shady tree. The burns stung and itched and the dust and tall grass around him didn't help, but he didn't want to go home. Anything but that.

Offline Alaina

• Obsidian Knight
  • Stoneclaw
  • Apprentice
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Broken [Alaina]
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 03:32:46 PM »
Alaina was thankful to have finally healed from the flames that had ravaged their territory. Her lungs no longer felt like they were thick with ash and sludge. The coughing had finally subsided and her paws and muscles that were once raw and sore were back too normal. Compared to some of the burns that the rest of the pride received Alaina considered herself lucky.  Some hadn’t made it out of the flames and that was a tragedy in of itself. Their already small pride had become even smaller.

The Obsidian Knight was starting to have doubts about whether or not it had been a good idea on her part to come here. She hadn’t expected them to have next to no fighting forces. Hadn’t expected the pride to be so.. so.. so.. small. The only way to make it grow would be to bare young of her own but the thought of it made her cringe inwardly, her lip curling at the mere thought of submitting herself to a male. She had spent her entire life fighting against the thought that it had never occurred to her that it might become necessary. Perhaps she could convince one of the other females of the pride to bear young. Remia perhaps or maybe even the Queen Ranya. Anyone other than herself.

The was the option of venturing into the neutral territory to find others who were open to joining a pride but she had been out there before. The chance of running into a big cat was slim at best. Alaina heaved a deep sigh and shook her head. These were things that she should bring up to the King the next time she had the opportunity to talk to him. They were not thoughts that a lowly Knight should be entertaining herself with.

She sees a form laying beneath the shade of a tree with thick green foliage. He was so burned and scarred that at first she didn’t recognize the King. When she did she faltered, hesitating a few feet away as she stared at him. His right leg was blacked, the skin leathery and charred, looking unnatural and painful. His face was badly burn and a long gash marred his face just above his right eye. “King Afua..” She said hesitantly, taking a step forward, “Your Majesty..” She was at a loss for word here, not sure whether she should apologize or avoid mentioning it. She wanted to ask if he was okay but clearly he was not and the question seemed absurd even to herself. Alaina frowned deeply at him before she bowed her head deeply to show her respect. “I was worried you had not made it..”

profile.
played by BB.
#F4FA58

Offline Afua

• Mother Hen
  • Leader
  • Apprentice
  • Lord Alvis of Asgard
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: Broken [Alaina]
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 05:40:18 PM »
Though he felt drowsy and his nose was essentially useless, his ears still worked fine and he heard someone approaching. Probably Caleb come to scold him for walking so far. He lifted his tired gaze when he heard a voice, familiar but not the one he was expecting.

King Afua she called him. Your Majesty. He made a disapproving grunting sound, but listened quietly to the rest of what she had to say.

"I am no longer fit for that title… Was I ever?” He was not looking at her, it was as if he were only talking to himself. It was unlike him to voice such a private thought out loud, it showed just how low he had fallen. Even before he was maimed he never truly felt like a leader, he had his doubts. But still he tried to lead, and how pitiful were his attempts? As an afterthought he realized that whatever he was feeling it was unfair to dump his troubles on her. His failures were his burden alone, and King or no, the thought of seeming weak still bothered him.

Ironic, he thought, since he was now more or less a cripple. Would he ever hunt for himself again? If it came to battle would he ever be fit to defend himself, much less the pride again? Questions that only time could tell for sure, but all the signs pointed to NO.

“I almost didn't make it.. If not for Caleb and my brother I might not be here.”

His gaze went back to Alaina, not sizing her up as he was usually prone to do to others (old habits of a paranoid border guard,) but only to look at how whole and hardy she was. Funny how you take for granted something as simple as walking when you had no trouble doing it.

But how selfish was he now? He was alive. Afua cleared his throat, it was dry and everything itched, especially the burns.

“How many dead? Missing?”
He had been so wrapped up in his own pain (and drugged) he had never thought to ask. If Caleb and Kafele knew the numbers they never told.

"I should've.. I should've..." Protected them. Saved them. Been Stronger. Been there for them.

He should've asked sooner.

King Afua indeed...
Take a look around you nothing's what it seems
We're livin' in the broken home of hopes and dreams
Let me be the first to shake a helping hand
of anybody brave enough to to take a stand

Offline Tolf

• I keep breaking my heart over and over
  • Kink-Shaming Brigade
  • Hero
  • and looking for some one else to blame
    • DeviantArt