Author Topic: Preserving History (Clifton)  (Read 294 times)

Offline Nexys

• Leader
  • Master
  • Warrior Chief of StoneClaw(Post count 279)
  • Liked: 37
  • Likes Given: 0
Preserving History (Clifton)
« on: October 04, 2016, 10:36:23 PM »
Although the move had gone as easily as it could, there was still much to be done. His children would be leaving for Tortuga very soon, along with a handful of adult Serfs. Not to mention, there was much to learn about this new land. Crocs were more of a threat here than they had been back in the plains, and that was a new thing that would have to be handled and monitored regularly.

Plants were new as well. Their poor lone Cleric had a massive job ahead of her getting the pride's medical supplies back in order and figuring out new plants that would be of use here in the forest. As difficult as life was before in the plains, this place was harder. At least in the savanna they had the security of plants that they knew were reliable; medical practices that had been passed down and refined upon for generations. They had no such luxury here. Nexys had so much to do but he needed some sort of order as well. Something needed to fall into place and he knew one small way to do that.

He would look for Clifton. The male had been injured during the fires and would be unable to attend the Rites. His burns were only part of the reason Nexys had tracked down the Serf. Clifton had showed interest in the history of the pride, and what had happened in the plains was history in the making.

Emerald eyes scanned the human huts above, mouth slightly open, tasting the air for Clifton's scent. The human settlement was huge, with many huts high above the forest floor. Most of the homes were empty, some still covered in thick vines and ivy. Nexys didn't know where the others in the pride had claimed as their homes yet. There was a chance that Clifton had chosen a home closer to the ground. "Clifton?" Nexys called, his paws dragging leaves as he walked. Birds, startled at the sudden call, took flight overhead. That was new too. Birds lived in the savanna, but not like these kinds. These breeds were new as well. Too much new... Nexys stifled a growl.

When he finally found Clifton he nodded in greeting, giving the male the once over to see about his basic physical wellbeing. "How goes it with your injuries? I saw you were limping, I hope the fire didn't get you too bad?" He asked. If Clifton was still in a fair amount of pain, there was no reason not to call Invierno right away. Burns were a terrible business and the pride needed all of its members as fit as possible. Not all of their borders had been marked yet so there was always threat of invasion.

"The Rites of Passage is fast approaching and I am aware that you are unable to travel at this time. So I have a proposition. The Cave of Ancestors is now too far away for us to record our events as they happen. But I am uncomfortable with our painted history being so far away. I would as you to be the Lorekeeper of Jade Clan. In this, you must agree to keep up with recording the prides events, as well as copy the paintings from the Cave of Ancestors. Also, as a member of the Jade Clan, you must be neutral and remain unbias toward Obsidian and Pyrope clan members and their dealings. If this is something you feel like you can do, and are willing to do, then you will be exempt from the Rites to heal and handle your new duties." Nexys would wait for Clifton's decision and to answer any questions he might have regarding his duties, if he decided to accept the position anyway...

« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 10:37:06 PM by Nexys »

Played by BlackRabbit since 2010

Offline Clifton(RP)

• Stoneclaw
  • Initiate
  • This is your personal text.
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Preserving History (Clifton)
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 06:32:48 PM »
Clifton was lying asleep, his injuries still showing to the world as he had a determined yet saddened look on his face. He knew the rites were coming, but with his condition he knew he would never make it back, if he went to tortuga his injuries to great. He yowled a little in pain as the burns on his legs and side acted up. That’s when he heard leaves crunching beneath some paws, hoping it was the little white marshmallow he had only caught glimpses of while they traveled here since she was the healer. But when he turned to face the mysterious stranger, it turned out to be a face he knew well and not a stranger at Nexys. He sighed as he flopped down the pain to much to stand for the moment, as the pride's leader greeted him.

"How goes it with your injuries? I saw you were limping, I hope the fire didn't get you too bad?

He turned unleashing a little bit of his pent up rage, at having no choice but to sit here all day since they got here doing nothing but healing and looking at walls that he already figured out the history of. Such as that a human used to lean against the walls every day, and the walls else held up to a few fights with the human pointy stones. “Too bad?! I’m in a freaking state where walking hurts, and the pain oh the pain! My entire body hurts, and I have been copped up here not even able to do anything all day every day. Not even having seen the new territory to it’s fullest, all I know is these four walls and the entire history of this building!” He said, than realized what he had said and who he was yelling at. He mantled a bit which hurt like dickens and got ready to give out an apology, “I’m sorry your majesty, it’s just being cooped up in here like a meal to be eaten doing nothing all day tends to make one a bit…” Not knowing how to phrase it, he was not angry at the king but at himself for being so ineffective and useless at the current point in time. He knew his wounds would heal given time, and proper management but for how long? And if he did not go on the rites, would Stoneclaw even want him or would they cast him out

He felt like an idiot for lashing out, but he hadn’t seen another saber for a while and so his train of thoughts got the better of him.

"The Rites of Passage is fast approaching and I am aware that you are unable to travel at this time. So I have a proposition. The Cave of Ancestors is now too far away for us to record our events as they happen. But I am uncomfortable with our painted history being so far away. I would as you to be the Lorekeeper of Jade Clan. In this, you must agree to keep up with recording the prides events, as well as copy the paintings from the Cave of Ancestors. Also, as a member of the Jade Clan, you must be neutral and remain unbias toward Obsidian and Pyrope clan members and their dealings. If this is something you feel like you can do, and are willing to do, then you will be exempt from the Rites to heal and handle your new duties."

This actually surprised Clifton, and definitely made him feel even worse for the unkempt rage. As what was being offered to him, was a role of great honor, yet major responsibility to the entire clan as it was not a role that could be challenged by other sabers. Since the role was not about fighting, and the loss of a lorekeeper would definitely echo quite profoundly through the clan. It was a life calling, and an important one at that. But he wanted to know more, “I would be honored to take up this mantle and record our history, though I am curious what my other duties will be besides copying what’s on the walls of the cave of our ancestors and staying unbiased towards the clan disputes? And well I have never had the time to ask this, but it’s burning in my mind are yours and Ranya’ paws on the all or not? ” As he had studied that section of the wall quite thoroughly and hadn’t seen a size that matched either of theirs. But before he truly assumed anything, he figured he would get the info from the source since the way Nexys had spoken about it. It was quite an important ceremony, and he did not want to rush them if the answer was no till they were ready. He waited patiently for the rebuke and also the answer to his questions his face still embarrassed.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 06:34:51 PM by Clifton(RP) »

Offline Nexys

• Leader
  • Master
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 11:59:45 AM »
“Too bad?! I’m in a freaking state where walking hurts, and the pain oh the pain! My entire body hurts, and I have been copped up here not even able to do anything all day every day. Not even having seen the new territory to it’s fullest, all I know is these four walls and the entire history of this building! I’m sorry your majesty, it’s just being cooped up in here like a meal to be eaten doing nothing all day tends to make one a bit…”

Nexys was not in the least bit happy to  spoken to like that. The king bristled, fire in his eyes. But he held his tongue. For now. A good king did not lash out at his people. Being injured and stuck in one place wasn't easy. He remembered his own burn injuries years ago when his paw and shoulder had been scorched during the Red Mountain eruption. But never would he have taken it out on Shai. It took some effort, but Nexys reigned himself in and pushed back the instinct to put Clifton in his place. Instead he presented Clifton with his proposition.

“I would be honored to take up this mantle and record our history, though I am curious what my other duties will be besides copying what’s on the walls of the cave of our ancestors and staying unbiased towards the clan disputes? And well I have never had the time to ask this, but it’s burning in my mind are yours and Ranya’ paws on the all or not? ”

With a deep breath, Nexys composed himself, deciding to shrug off Clifton's offense, and continue with what he had come here for. The king sat, making himself comfortable. It was important that the new Lorekeeper know all about his rank and what was expected of him. Questions would no doubt be asked. But that was good. It was what he expected out of someone in charge of taking care of pride history.

"Once you complete your first task of copying what is in the Cave of Ancestors, you will need to focus on current Pride events. You are required to join every major pride gathering. Rites send offs, and return ceremonies. Marriages and deaths. These will be yours to record. This will not always be easy, as every story has two sides. Sometimes finding the truth in such an instance will require thought and of course, listening skills. There will be times you might be required to accompany myself, Queen Ranya, or King Afua and record alliances. This is a heavy responsibility Clifton. You are new among us, and we are taking a risk allowing you to be Lorekeeper. Don't let us down. You have great potential. I hope you put your passion to good use. And learn to reign in that tongue." Nexys explained, ending the bit with a dry warning to Clifton. Staying level headed was another skill the new Lorekeeper would have to learn, and fast if he hoped to achieve greatness.

"With that being said, no. My sister and I have not had our paws placed in the Cave. Neither has King Afua. But that is a ceremony for another time. First, the Rites return. I don't expect you to attend this Rites send off, due to your injuries, but when they come back, I want a celebration. The first Rites were lack luster. I want this pride to strive for greatness and accept their warrior spirit. The ceremony will take place in the King's Lookout. There will be a proper feast. Fires, warpaint, banners. I want them to take pride in themselves and their accomplishments. And you will need to record it." Nexys was happy with his idea, and had hopes of speaking to the other Royals about it very soon. He would also need to enlist the help of their resident Dragoon, and Mage. Something told him those two would have no trouble working together on this one.

Offline Nexys

• Leader
  • Master
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 08:38:45 PM »
boop