Author Topic: The definition of Loyalty [Nexys]  (Read 452 times)

Offline Flamestorm

• Orange Bear
  • Stoneclaw
  • Regular
  • Bring on the next challenge!
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 0
The definition of Loyalty [Nexys]
« on: September 06, 2016, 06:43:01 PM »
He had done it again.

How the hell was he supposed to explain himself this time? Flamestorm's brow furrowed in frustration as he mulled over many things. Last time he hadn't been sure as to why he had left. This time, it was a little different. He hadn't left the pride. The orange saber wouldn't do that again. No, now he had merely... gone into seclusion. Stopped talking to the others, stopped doing much at all. And as much as he ignored it, he couldn't hide why. The timing had been too perfect.

Frankly, he was heartbroken. Flamestorm had begun to develop feelings for Mayan, the ex-Queen of the pride. And he had wanted to express them to her. He had tried. But it was to no avail. Nothing had happened between them, and soon after, she had left. And he had no reason to fill in the blanks for it other than he had caused it. That realization upset him more than anything. So he had hidden from the world, refusing to let others see him despairing over a female. Not just any female, either....

Now he had to explain himself to Nexys. The older male had been around most of his life, and knew Flamestorm well. What would the younger saber do with himself? Could he even have a valid excuse? He was angry at himself for what he had done, his lack of productivity, but one thing still remained clear: he loved this pride to death. Stoneclaw. His home. How could he even prove that, though?

Ugh, he was getting just as bad as Kobolt. Mayan's brother, and the source of a great annoyance to Flamestorm. But that wasn't important right now. What did matter was that he had to get his ass in gear and talk to Nexys. Which was why he was currently pacing yards away from the King's Lookout, muttering to himself as he thought of what to say. His orange paws had all but dug a groove into the dirt from all of the constant motion he had been doing. His teal gaze held all sorts of emotions, concern most of all. Would he be exiled?

Auduril help him.

Flamestorm

-=Character played by Moons=-

Offline Nexys

• Leader
  • Master
  • Warrior Chief of StoneClaw(Post count 279)
  • Liked: 37
Re: The definition of Loyalty [Nexys]
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 09:15:25 PM »
Strength. They were gaining it by the day, tho sometimes it was hard to see. They had lost many, not just in the fire, but before that. Some had just up and left with no warning. So when Nexys saw a familiar fiery pelt on the horizon he was more than a little surprise. At first he stood, ready to greet the other as a friend, but he quickly stopped himself. Flamestorm was nearing on his own, as he had left on his own.

A bitter taste filled Nexys' mouth and he licked his nose to try and rid the taste. His mohawk mane fluttered in the breeze, his ears pulled back against his skull for a moment before becoming alert again. Mouth open slightly, he tasted the air from the ex Stoneclaw member. His scent was different now, but there was an underlying scent of the plains.

The king took a seat again and let the other male come to him. It was a long walk but while Flamestorm walked, Nexys thought about what he was going to say. He could not afford to send Flame away if he was returning, but how could he know the male wouldn't up and leave again? This was becoming a thing for him and Nexys wondered why? Perhaps there was a wanderer's spirit within him that he just could not ignore. If that was the case, how could he help the pride but still be able to roam? Nexys had some ideas but first he had to know what Flamestorm was coming back for. If he was planning on staying, and how he could be trusted again.

"Flamestorm. You return to Stoneclaw? As you can see there is little left here to return to." Nexys said, eyes firmly on Flamestorm, the burned plains stretching out behind the king. "We have moved to the east, to the forest. I'm only out here to scout the territory for intruders hoping to take advantage of us. As good as it is to see you again, I have to wonder why you have returned? I trusted you so fully to be my right paw, and you left? Tell me brother, why did you go?" Simple questions, or so it seemed. All questions were simple, it was the answers that could become difficult. Nexys only hoped that Flamestorm's return was a signal of good things to come, instead of ill omens. Only time would tell.

Played by BlackRabbit since 2010

Offline Flamestorm

• Orange Bear
  • Stoneclaw
  • Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 02:10:04 PM »
So busy was the fiery saber in thinking of what to say, that he hadn't noticed Nexys' approach. Flamestorm was a whirl of thoughts and emotions he wasn't ready for -- he was used to just handling them on his own. But when it came time to face his own desertion, he had a hard time stomaching the anger he held against himself. He didn't know what to expect from the man who knew him so well, and that... well, that scared him. And that was hard enough for an adult to admit.

Sharp teal eyes finally noticed Nexys coming and his heart stopped. There was his mentor, and here was his failed apprentice. Taking a deep breath, Flamestorm turned worried paws to him and padded over to him, watching as the King sat down to wait for him. At least he guessed that's what it was. He made eye contact with the other male, but after a moment his gaze faltered and he looked at the ground. It was like a cub caught where he wasn't supposed to be, and was now facing his parent. And it wasn't because Flamestorm had up and disappeared. It was that he up and disappeared again.

It was Nexys who spoke first. "Flamestorm. You return to Stoneclaw? As you can see there is little left here to return to." Yeah, he had noticed. Flamestorm nodded in response, his tongue suddenly feeling really heavy in his mouth. "We have moved to the east, to the forest. I'm only out here to scout the territory for intruders hoping to take advantage of us. As good as it is to see you again, I have to wonder why you have returned? I trusted you so fully to be my right paw, and you left? Tell me brother, why did you go?" All the questions he expected to get thrown at him, but it didn't make answering any easier. The weight that sat on his chest was intense, and it was making it hard to breath.

He inhaled, then exhaled softly.

"I don't expect simple words to convince you, my King," Flamestorm finally said with all the honesty he could possibly express. After all, more than anything, he had no reason to lie. "I have failed you. I have failed Stoneclaw for the second time. I know this is as obvious as the plains before us both." He didn't look at Nexys; instead he glanced at the plains surrounding them. All the destruction that had forced them from their home. Clearing his throat, he forced himself to continue. "Whatever punishment you have for me, I will willingly face." If there was one thing that he had over Kobolt though, it was that he owned up to his faults.

But now it was time for the harder question. Pain flickered in his eyes. "The truth is, I was heartbroken. I had developed an emotional tie to Queen Mayan, and it wasn't returned. I didn't know what to do with myself." Finally talking about it made it slightly easier to continue. "And when she left... I didn't find the heart to carry with my duties. I know it's... stupid of me to have done this, and it's maybe not what anyone else would have done... but then I was too embarrassed to face it." He looked at Nexys with conflict in his teal gaze. "Brother, I was too ashamed of my weakness, and then time seemed to just crawl past me without my being able to stop it." There you have it. The truth, plain and simple, even if Nexys didn't want to see it.

"But I love this pride. That... that has never changed. That love is what brought me back here, to you, brother. That is what finally kicked me into gear when I saw the destruction rampaging through the pride. That is what has me standing here before you, my King." And that was all he could say. Finally he shut his maw, glancing at Nexys to see what he had to say. As his King, as his brother... as his friend. And he braced himself against whatever it might hold.

Flamestorm

Offline Nexys

• Leader
  • Master
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 11:01:19 PM »
Nexys wasn't sure what Flamestorm would say in regards to his questions. There were many reasons that others had left the pride over the years and he was sure he had just about heard it all. But it was harder to hear those words from a friend. Especially one as trusted as Flame. If this was the first time he had left, Nexys might not think so much about it. But what if he did it again? He was worried about it.

"I don't expect simple words to convince you, my King. I have failed you. I have failed Stoneclaw for the second time. I know this is as obvious as the plains before us both. Whatever punishment you have for me, I will willingly face."

Nexys nodded solemnly, his own eyes too falling over the horizon to see the destruction that mother nature had dealt them. But such was the nature of things in general. Time crept up on them in different ways and what he saw before him was further proof that everything could change in a matter of moments. It had only taken one spark to set into motion the events at hand. And whether Flamestorm was there or not, there was no stopping the inferno that had engulfed the plains. But if he had been there... what would it have changed?

"The truth is, I was heartbroken. I had developed an emotional tie to Queen Mayan, and it wasn't returned. I didn't know what to do with myself. And when she left... I didn't find the heart to carry with my duties. I know it's... stupid of me to have done this, and it's maybe not what anyone else would have done... but then I was too embarrassed to face it. Brother, I was too ashamed of my weakness, and then time seemed to just crawl past me without my being able to stop it. But I love this pride. That... that has never changed. That love is what brought me back here, to you, brother. That is what finally kicked me into gear when I saw the destruction rampaging through the pride. That is what has me standing here before you, my King."

Nexys was learning quickly that being King was more difficult that he could have imagined. A lot of his pride had to go on the wayside to make room for level judgement. For the better of his people. This was not the first time he was given a choice for a second chance, and he wanted Flame to know that. "I understand heartache Flamestorm. Two of my mates are gone now. Lola changed me. She opened my eyes and although I am not one for extreme sentiment, I loved her far more even than my first mate. But I could not abandon my duties, eventho I wanted to." Nexys had held on by a thread when Lola died. So many things could have effected his decision to do so. For one, if he was not King and the fate of the pride rested so heavily on him, would he have left too? And if he didn't have his children, would he have given up on the pride and left? He couldn't be sure because that wasn't how it happened.

"Do you remember the saber Geduld? He was gone for a time and when he returned he sought the rank of Warrior Chief I had worked so hard for, in order to impress Mayan. We fought, and he was defeated. I spent a lot of time hating him. I had a bitter taste in my mouth at the sight of him and yet... when he came to me and asked me for a place among my warriors, I gave him a chance and he succeeded. He became a strong, loyal, dependable warrior. You... you are my friend. As much as I want to just welcome you back as my advisor, you know that I cannot. I have to know that you will not leave us again. So I will give you another chance, brother, but you must work as if you are new. It's a hard road you face, but I have faith in you. And I hope you know that I will have your back in times of trouble. All you have to do it ask." Nexys' eyes met those of Flamestorms this time, hoping to convey his deepest sincerity. Allowing Flame back was easy. Putting all of his faith and hope in him, was not. Denying him his old title was hard too, because his friend had never led him wrong, or gotten offended when advice was not taken. The King wondered if Flamestorm would indeed rise again and claim the title in the future.

Offline Flamestorm

• Orange Bear
  • Stoneclaw
  • Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2016, 04:53:31 PM »
Flamestorm had practically poured his heart out to Nexys, one of the few true friends he had in the pride. It was something that floored him in a sense, realizing that despite the lifetime he had spent in the pride... he really had very little friends. That fact lowered his spirits more, but he held himself firm in his resolve to come back. He was going to prove that he was worth having around, even though he hadn't been exactly stable in his presence here. The turmoil he felt was overwhelming, and it only heightened his senses as his attention zoned in on Nexys.

"I understand heartache Flamestorm. Two of my mates are gone now. Lola changed me. She opened my eyes and although I am not one for extreme sentiment, I loved her far more even than my first mate. But I could not abandon my duties, eventho I wanted to." His words hurt Flamestorm, but the fiery feline knew he had to take it. There was simply no excuse, and he knew that. He knew Nexys had his own sad story, but he had come out stronger than Flame in that sense. All he could do in response was nod, his jaws tightened too much in order to speak.

There was more, though, and he gave his King his rapt attention. "Do you remember the saber Geduld?" The name rang a bell, and Flamestorm nodded in response as he listened. "He was gone for a time and when he returned he sought the rank of Warrior Chief I had worked so hard for, in order to impress Mayan. We fought, and he was defeated. I spent a lot of time hating him. I had a bitter taste in my mouth at the sight of him and yet... when he came to me and asked me for a place among my warriors, I gave him a chance and he succeeded. He became a strong, loyal, dependable warrior. You... you are my friend. As much as I want to just welcome you back as my advisor, you know that I cannot. I have to know that you will not leave us again. So I will give you another chance, brother, but you must work as if you are new. It's a hard road you face, but I have faith in you. And I hope you know that I will have your back in times of trouble. All you have to do it ask." There was a lot of conflict in his eyes, but there was one thing that was clear...

Hope.

Flamestorm's eyes widened and he smiled big. "THANK YOU, MY KING," he boomed, excitement creeping up his throat in a way he couldn't even express. His youthful energy was returning and his tail twitched in a playful manner. "I would not dream of coming to beg back my rank. I don't deserve it at this point, but I will prove it to you!" He crouched on his legs, an eager look in his eyes, grinning like a cub that caught a lizard. "I will! I don't care how long or hard the road is. I am just glad to be given the road to walk on." Controlling himself a little, he cleared his throat and straightened, glancing at Nexys with a small goofy grin on his face. Flamestorm hadn't changed in some ways.

Now, to try and get back to business. He could explore later. "Is there anything I should know, my King?" he asked more seriously, toning down his excitement. He wasn't purposely going back to his mannerisms as an adviser, but it was hard to throw away something like that when it was your natural thing.  "Anything about the pride I should keep in mind while I acquaint myself with the others?" It was inevitable that he would be meeting the other members, but he wanted to brace himself in case there was something he should know.

Flamestorm

Offline Nexys

• Leader
  • Master
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 12:38:16 PM »
I replied to this and now it's disappeared?? I will do it again I guess  :/

Offline Nexys

• Leader
  • Master
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2016, 08:38:13 PM »
Flamestorm lit up, eyes wide with enthusiasm. It seemed no matter how old they got, some things never changed. Nexys couldn't help but smile at his friend, happy that he was back with them. Back with Nexys. They had been together through so much, it was nice to have him around again. Rebuilding their relationship would take some work, but the foundation was good so there was hope.

"THANK YOU, MY KING, I would not dream of coming to beg back my rank. I don't deserve it at this point, but I will prove it to you! I will! I don't care how long or hard the road is. I am just glad to be given the road to walk on."

Nexys laughed outright at his companion's excitement. Things really did not change. He was as excitable as a cub.

"Is there anything I should know, my King? Anything about the pride I should keep in mind while I acquaint myself with the others?"

The king thought for a moment, eyes scanning the burned plains. "Well, besides the obvious. My sister has returned and is helping me to lead, as well as the lion Afua. We have three Clans now with different views and leaders for each. I have a Knight now as well, one that I trust quite a bit. Her name is Alaina and in the short time she's been with us, she has been a great asset to the Pride. In time, I could see promoting her further, but for now she is content in her position and strengthening the pride in key. I hate to say, but we are not as strong as we once were. Walk with me, friend." Nexys stood and began to walk back to the forest where the rest of the pride was.

"We are few now. We are weak, as hard as that is for me to say. There is a desperate need for new members but I am currently at a loss. I know you are not my Advisor any more, but you are still my trusted friend. If you have any suggestions, I would be glad to hear them" Nexys sighed, feeling the weight settle back on his shoulders. They needed help, and fast.