Author Topic: Small talk. [Nyx]  (Read 267 times)

Offline Alaina

• Obsidian Knight
  • Stoneclaw
  • Apprentice
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Small talk. [Nyx]
« on: September 05, 2016, 03:48:54 PM »
It was the morning after they had made a makeshift camp away from the flames. Aliana had offered to scout out the rest of the territory with the dark lion, Nyx to find better denning areas than just, out in the open beside bodies of water that were potentially infested with crocs. The two of them had been silent thus far into their journey and Alaina was considering it a blessing. Nyx wasn't a chatter box like the Queen Ranya and he wasn't all bubbly bright and annoying like the little white cleric. Though she suppose the opptimistic nature was a good characteristic for a Cleric to have, it was important to keep a patients spirits up.

Alaina heaved ragged cough and grimaced at the lance of fire that was stabbed through her chest. She sighed heavily, coughed a little again and muttered mostly to herself, "I need to find that Cleric again. Wormwood seems to have worn off." Golden eyes flickered over to the dark lion once before she glanced back down the patch they were walking. The further south they went the thicker the foliage and closer together the trees became.

It was.. strange, not to be out on the plains. She was use to very little foliage and even less trees. This part of the territory was the complete opposite. Even as a Fletcher Aliana had never wandered this far south in their territory, because it bordered by a mountain range on one side and cliffs on the other she had lent her efforts to patrolling the parts of the territory that were closer to other packs. The soft pine needles whispered beneath the pads of her paws and it was odd not to have the brittle dry grass crunching against her paws. "Where are you from?" Alaina was trying to be friendly, making small talk was friendly right? She wasn't very good at anything that wasn't giving orders or interrogating someone.

profile.
played by BB.
#F4FA58

Offline >Nyx<

• Stoneclaw
  • Initiate
  • This is your personal text.
  • Liked: 3
Re: Small talk. [Nyx]
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 07:29:55 PM »
The morning came all too soon, and with it came the coughing. It was a wonder he was able to sleep with as much as his lings were still burning. Wormwood had helped but he was cautious about how much he took for no other reason than he wasn't sure of what kind of supply Vi had made it out with. Bigger question, would there be more where they were going? The forest was a strange place to them. Everything would have to be discovered all over again.

This was where his thoughts lay as he trekked out with Alaina to explore the new territory. It had already become apparent that they would have to clear out some of the waterways from crocs. That was a task in and of itself. One that Nyx would organize, but not look forward to. His hope was that they could gain tradeable or usable items from the crocs themselves. They would need supplies to get them started but without the proper items, their chances of getting what they needed were low.

Nyx coughed hard, tasting ash in his mouth again with the dry hacks. Alaina was suffering the same. "I need to find that Cleric again. Wormwood seems to have worn off."

"Yeah... seems so." They continued on a ways without saying so much. the grasslands were fading away, trees were coming closer together, shrubs were getting thicker. It reminded him a little of Tortugan territory with it's thick forests. But this was different. This forest wasn't quite the same. From here the Dragoon could see trees, bigger than any he had ever seen, towering high  to the clouds. They seemed quite magnificent, even from here. Soon they would be close enough to get a real idea of just how big they were.

"Where are you from?"

Nyx almost paused at the question. No one had ever asked him that before. Not even Invierno. His eyes widened in surprise but he continued to move forward. He thought for a moment, wondering how much information he should give on his past. But then... she was from outside the pride. Maybe she had seen his mother in her travels. Anything was possible...

"No where. My mother was a wanderer. Her name was Lota Bella. She fell in love but when my father found out she was pregnant... he made it clear that cubs had no place in his life. So when we were born, we were nameless. We were cared for, weaned, then all taken to different places. My mother named me Nyx shortly before she left me on the border of Aryion. Then Aryion merged with Stoneclaw and... well, here I am." He shrugged, keeping his tone neutral to hide his emotion. It was easier to pretend that the loss of his mother was easier than it really was. He made no mention of the many months he waited for her to return...

"What about you?" He asked, trying to divert the conversation away from himself. Maybe it would work...
Played by BlackRabbit since 2012

Offline Alaina

• Obsidian Knight
  • Stoneclaw
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 06:54:29 PM »
It seemed that the black lion had been abandoned at the fringes of the prideland like so many other orphaned youngsters. Though in his case his mother was still very much alive so he wasn't really an orphan. Alaina thought about his mother's decision and wondered what she would have choosen if she had been in the same position. Perhaps she would have done the same thing, given her children to strangers to be raised in the safety of a pride so that they were not out in the open wilderness alone and defenseless.

"What about you?"

The Knight was silent as she frowned in thought, wondering whether she should revel her history to someone who was little more than a stranger to her. But he was a member of the pride and she needed to be more cordial to the others. Besides, the past was the past and held no merit on the present or the future. "In the pride that I came from females were treated as nothing more than breeding stock. The males were taken from their mothers as soon as they were weaned and trained into fine warriors. The females were kept in the caves where they would raise their daughters until they were of childbearing age." Her lip curled in disgust as she remembered the horrific conditions her mothers and sisters had been kept in.

"Females weren't allowed to fight, the males were afraid they would learn how to defend themselves. So I taught myself how to fight. When the Emperor came to claim me I fought him and won in battle. I liberated my mother and the others and spent many months reconditioning the males to treat the females as equals. It wasn't easy." She smirked now, enjoying the memory of having put the males into submission, she, a lowly female. "But I did it. After that I left and journeyed to Thunder Cove where I lived until I moved here."

Alaina rolled her shoulder in a shrug and to the sky, "That's pretty much it."

profile.
played by BB.
#F4FA58

Offline >Nyx<

• Stoneclaw
  • Initiate
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 05:25:53 PM »
Taking the conversation off of himself was a bit of a relief. He didn't like to think of his abandonment, of the many months he had spent waiting at the border of Aryion for his mother. Or the desperation he had felt when Aryion gave up their lands and merged with Stoneclaw. Back then he didn't want to go. But he was a child and knew he couldn't just survive on his own. There was little else to do than go with the adults and abandon the hope of his mother returning for him. However, that hope never really died. Sometimes, when he woke in the dead of night, he could swear her scent would linger in the wind. It would only be when his senses were completely upon him that he would realize the scent was in his imagination.

Those moments seemed to be growing further apart now that he was an adult. There was simply too much going on in this little world of his to think of much else. In his silent moments, he would think of her and wonder how long it had been since she had last crossed his mind. The pain was gone now, only a faint twinge at times, replaced by indifference to the female that had chosen her mate over her children. Sometimes it angered him. Not only that she had left him, but that she had left him alone. All of the siblings had been placed in different prides, separated not only from their parents, but from each other. Mother could have atleast had the mercy to leave them all together.

Nyx licked his nose, stifling a growl. It made him furious to think of what she had done to them, but he didn't feel much like talking about it now. Talking about it would do nothing to release that anger and he wasn't sure he was ready to let go of it just yet. That feeling, that emotion, was the last thing he had toward her. If that was gone, what would remain? Anger was easier than feeling nothing. But nothing goes away faster than anger. It was a circle of confusion he didn't care to start right now. Golden eyes shifted to the Knight, genuinely curious as to her past, but unwilling to say so. A part of him wanted to know more about all of his pride mates. However, that meant interacting with more of them and the large male just wasn't up for that just yet.

"In the pride that I came from females were treated as nothing more than breeding stock. The males were taken from their mothers as soon as they were weaned and trained into fine warriors. The females were kept in the caves where they would raise their daughters until they were of childbearing age. Females weren't allowed to fight, the males were afraid they would learn how to defend themselves. So I taught myself how to fight. When the Emperor came to claim me I fought him and won in battle. I liberated my mother and the others and spent many months reconditioning the males to treat the females as equals. It wasn't easy. But I did it. After that I left and journeyed to Thunder Cove where I lived until I moved here. That's pretty much it."

Her life had not been an easy one, but it had undoubtedly made her into who she was today. Nyx strode on, listening intently as his long stride carried him onward. "And now here you are. Obsidian Knight. But what about your family? You worked so hard to liberate them, and yet here you are, alone." Nyx side eyed her, knowing this question was more than difficult. It could spur on bad memories for her. Better  her than him, in his opinion.

Offline Alaina

• Obsidian Knight
  • Stoneclaw
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 11:01:47 PM »
“And now here you are. Obsidian Knight. But what about your family? You worked so hard to liberate them, and yet here you are, alone."

Alaina purses her lips tightly at his words and her golden eyes narrow but she doesn’t say anything for a long time, the two of them continue to walk on in silence for a moment. A long moment that seems to drag on into eternity and perhaps Nyx is starting to think that she’s chosen to ignore his question entirely. But in reality she was just thinking, how could she explain her situation clear enough to this stranger so that he would understand?

Yes, here she was, Obsidian Knight indeed but would he ever know what she had gone through, truly gone through to get to here? How could she explain the horrors that had stolen away her childhood innocence, how could she tell him she’d grown up watching her mother and sisters being forced to breed with males they held no affection towards. And how on earth could she possible explain that she had felt that they were weak and pathetic for not standing up for themselves without sounding like some sort of heartless monster.

“It’s… complicated.” She said finally to break their heavy silence. Alaina glanced at him from the corner of her eyes and shook her head ruefully as she thought back. “They didn’t need me. And I couldn’t be around them any longer. Whenever I looked at any of their faces all I could think about were the memories of them submitting their power over to the males. It made me angry and petty. I was not a good leader to them. I would have made things harder for them. So I taught them all they needed to know and I left them.” She turned her eyes onto the dark black lion and tilted her head, “A good leader knows when to retreat. Wouldn’t you agree?”

short crappy post i'm so sorry T.T

profile.
played by BB.
#F4FA58

Offline >Nyx<

• Stoneclaw
  • Initiate
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2016, 09:04:59 PM »

“It’s… complicated. They didn’t need me. And I couldn’t be around them any longer. Whenever I looked at any of their faces all I could think about were the memories of them submitting their power over to the males. It made me angry and petty. I was not a good leader to them. I would have made things harder for them. So I taught them all they needed to know and I left them.A good leader knows when to retreat. Wouldn’t you agree?”

Nyx walked and thought for a time, unsure of how to answer. He was still young and had always lived his life in reletive peace. He had never been put in a leadership role, and therefor could not give an accurate opinion. "I suppose one would have to experience it themselves. I don't know what I would do, but I will say there is a differnece between retreating and leaving. Not that leaving is necessarily wrong, I guess it just depends." He shrugged, thinking back on his mother. When he was little he made excuses for her, waited for her too. Now that he was an adult, he had no excuses. She had abandoned him for a lover. She chose a mate over her children. He was bitter now, not understanding how anyone could abandon their child.

Now he had Invierno. It was obvious that she cared for him, and he supposed he cared for her, but he wasn't sure to what extent. They hadn't ever really talked about it, and he wasn't sure he was ready for that yet. He had a huge wall built against everyone, and tho he didn't necessarily want to be that way, he also didn't know how to change, or if it was even possible for him to change.

*sorry such crap*