Author Topic: Yaaaaaaaawn [Moons, Semi-Private?]  (Read 920 times)

Offline Moonachie

• The Black Sheep
  • Inaria
  • Apprentice
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 0
Yaaaaaaaawn [Moons, Semi-Private?]
« on: May 31, 2016, 08:23:12 PM »
(If one of the leaders wants to come in to officially meet Moonachie, I would like that!  Just an option.)

Moonachie had woken up from her semi-hibernation with snow still on the ground.  Winter seemed harsher here than Mountain Valley and that was saying something.  Moonachie had been surprised a few times that winter.  Only Moons and the behemoth wolf (bear-killer, she thought) knew of her existence as far as she knew and she told them she would sleep in a cave she found outside the main pack land.  Hearing of a war hurt her thinking.  Wolves seemed too complicated for their own sake.  Rhys leaving for safety's sake alarmed her.  How dangerous was this war?

Good thing bears were loners...for the most part.

On this warm spring day today, Moonachie shuffled out her cave in a fit of hunger.  The Outskirts were tough, but bears knew where to find food when motivated.  She made it to a river where fish had gathered and grass grew in tough patches.  She nabbed a few small fish and munched on such grasses, with difficulty.  Motivated.  There was a place where food was plentiful.

She had to do it.  She had not just herself to consider.

The bear moaned aloud as she walked closer to the main territory.  She had to find Moons first.  She would be happy to see the calm, sensible wolf.

Following behind her, two small brown creatures bounced among the flowers.

Moonahie had been surprised a few times that winter...
The Cave Bear lady...a darling mother...but a grouch in the winter.

Played by Pawprint

Offline Moons

• Kichigai's wierdo <3
  • Guardian
  • Hero
  • Captain Inaria~
    • My status
    • My DeviantArt Page
  • Liked: 926
  • Likes Given: 898
Re: Yaaaaaaaawn [Moons, Semi-Private?]
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 09:26:15 PM »
((Yay for Ghost coming after Moons <3))

Days passed by, and the maroon female kept pushing on. Wounds were healing, Inarians were recovering (well, as best as they could, really). As much as some didn't like it, things would get better and return back to the relative normalcy that Inaria always had for itself. And while a lot of them would come back from refuge to a land they always knew, Moons knew there were a good few that would remain forever changed. It would break her heart to realize just how much of her family had been affected by this war. If she had been able to, she would have taken all the damage and wounds for them all. And she had tried, actually. But it was in vain, and she knew that.

But it still bothered her.

Still, she was pushing through her own demons. They haunted her every night, from a long time ago, renewed by this havoc created during the war. It was like they had merely gone to sleep rather than truly gone away. It frustrated the maroon female to see that she would be followed by them for a long time still. Forever, it seemed. And still she said nothing. She bore it all with a small (but pained) smile on her maw and with a continued step that had not stopped since the war had started. Despite Backbite's attempts to help her and get her to talk, Moons was shut this time. Her lips were sealed in a way that left her feeling more alone than ever. And all she could do was keep herself in motion with tasks that befitted her rank, and even ones that didn't.

Which was why she was now traveling along the borders of Inaria, near the Outskirts. She was looking for something to do, though she sensed recruits wouldn't be approaching now. They'd be avoiding the smell of war like the plague; that eerie smell of death and decay that wouldn't wash away for a long time. Even if it seeped into the soil, she would still be able to smell it for a while afterwards. Amber eyes flickered to her surroundings, watching with a tired gaze that she was sure was felt by many.

The sound that reached her ears made them perk. Despite her mental exhaustion, Moons recognized the cry of the bear. Immediately she wondered whether it was the same bear as that one time with Cockatrice. Somewhere in her mind, as she turned to approach where the bear was, it registered in her mind that this could potentially be dangerous. Somewhere else in her mind though... she found she didn't care. Her focus shifted to the path in front of her, and soon the grunts of the bear became more pronounced, and she realized the sounds were accompanied by younger cries. Smaller bears? As she broke through the shrubbery and into the clearing near the stream, she saw the bear in question. And sure enough, there were two cubs in tow.

"Moonachie?" she asked, caution in her tone despite her slight recklessness in standing alone against a protective mother bear. If the cubs looked at her, she would smile a friendly smile, tattered ears tilted back, before looking back at the bear. "How have you been? Is everything.. alright?" She remembered the bear stating that she would sleep in a den outside the borders of Inaria. But for her to be coming back to the main land, it meant there had to be more now that was perhaps necessary. And with two small bears in tow... her tired (yet motherly) mind could take a good guess.

((I'm going under the assumption that last time they exchanged names. If this is wrong, let me know and I'll change it~))
Link to bin~

Characters I Actively Role-play: Moons | Corvus |Rykryk | Flamestorm | Seven |Yoki | Phoenix | Electra | Coronach | Cruciatus | Zodiac | Tide | Skylar
Been on IDS since: January 26th 2008

Offline Pawprint/Adolph

• Master
  • 10% Sweet Tea
    • DA Website
  • Liked: 39
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 10:49:37 PM »
*Gentle nudge*

Characters

Adolph: Nardir Retiree
Navand: Maroon Cheetah
Buckshot: Nardir Groundskeeper
Moonachie: Cave Bear Lady (Inaria Hoverer)

New Profiles Needed
"You" ...she has no name
Moonachie: Cave Bear
Pawprint: Dog (Pupsaver)
Swifter: Adolph's bird

Offline Moonachie

• The Black Sheep
  • Inaria
  • Apprentice
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 09:23:47 AM »
(Keeping this going.  Kay is still going to post.)

She saw Moons coming from a far.  She waited for her to come, watching every step and seeing her face.  Even though Moons was one of the gentler wolves she met, the bear was still a mother and she would remain vigilant.  By the time she came over, she noticed the fatigue and wear across her body.  The injuries.  Her weaknesses.  She lifted her head with her mouth open.  How was she able to move about?  Shouldn't she have someone by her side?  Where was the behemoth who was by her side last time?

"Moonachie?"

The bear frowned at the tone of her voice before reminding herself that the wolf was always cautious.  One of the cubs hid behind her while the other stared up at the new face.  Moon's smile caused the little brown bear to tilt her head...then run to hide between her mother's legs.  Moonachie hugged the cub to her and shook her head.

"How have you been? Is everything.. alright?"

She breathed deep.

"I have had...surprises over the winter.  And now I need more food.  These two," she pushed them in front of her, "need more than the Outskirts.  I would never hurt a wulv cub, but I know it is not always the same for the other side.  I know you wulves make...agreements or something like that.  So what am I expected to do to bring my family here without Inaria attacking us?"

Blunt.  Just like a bear.  She shrugged her shoulders and snorted.

"I am sorry wulv...Moons.  I should ask: are you sure you should be here?  You should be resting.  Your companion must be wondering where you are."
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 12:53:12 PM by Moonachie »
The Cave Bear lady...a darling mother...but a grouch in the winter.

Played by Pawprint

Offline Moons

• Kichigai's wierdo <3
  • Guardian
  • Hero
  • Captain Inaria~
    • My status
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 01:08:51 PM »
Indeed Moons was alone on her patrols, but it wasn't like she had asked anyone to come along with her. Considering the latest circumstances, she very well probably should have at least paired up wolves when perusing the borders of their pack. Who knew if Saboro was going to find their way back to Inaria to finish off the job. But it wasn't like Moons was thinking too clearly lately, with all that had been going on during the war, and since then.

The bear cub hid behind the mother, and Moons understood why; young ones were always warned to be cautious when it came to their own safety. It wasn't unfamiliar to the maroon female to be wary of those around her when it came to her own babies. The bear was more than likely no different than how Moons had been when her children were pups. Even within the safety of Inaria, there were dangers lurking around every corner for a vulnerable pup.

Even (ironically) bears.

"I have had...surprises over the winter.  And now I need more food.  These two need more than the Outskirts.  I would never hurt a wulv cub, but I know it is not always the same for the other side.  I know you wulves make...agreements or something like that.  So what am I expected to do to bring my family here without Inaria attacking us?" And just like that, a proposition was set upon the table. It made Moons blink in surprise, not having expected such a blunt statement from the bear. She sensed this bear was different than others, having realized how long their own Inarian pup had stayed with the bear during a storm.

What could she say, though? "I understand your concerns, Moonachie," she said, hoping she sounded as sincere as she meant them. She really did understand being concerned over your children. "Personally, I would not mind you staying with us. You have provided... no trouble for us in the past. However, I do wish to have one of our leaders present so that they can be aware of the situation." As tired as she might be, she knew this was something either Haven or Ghost would want to be aware of.

"Excuse me, I'm going to call for one of the Alphas. That way they can meet you and talk with you too. Okay?" With a small smile she took a step back and tilted her maw up to the air. A simple call was let out, for Ghost or Haven to come. A request without the urgency of the latest events. Once finished, Moons looked back at the bear. "I am sorry wulv...Moons.  I should ask: are you sure you should be here?  You should be resting.  Your companion must be wondering where you are." Companion? Her left ear flickered, and she recalled who Moonachie was probably referring too -- Cockatrice. It made her smile slightly to see that the bear might just be concerned over a little wolf like her. And she sighed in response. "Whether I need rest or not, I have my duties to fulfill." It was the answer she would give anyone who asked. It was just how Moons was, no matter how exhausted she truly felt.

She also felt the need for a change of subject. Moons wasn't ready to talk about herself. "Do the cubs have names?" she asked, turning amber eyes to the small bears that hid behind their mother. She wanted to meet them, but guessed it would have to be approved first by mother bear.
Link to bin~

Characters I Actively Role-play: Moons | Corvus |Rykryk | Flamestorm | Seven |Yoki | Phoenix | Electra | Coronach | Cruciatus | Zodiac | Tide | Skylar

Offline Cockatrice

• knight errant.
  • Inaria
  • Apprentice
  • holding back, slipping down
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 06:57:47 PM »
(I hope you don't mind if I still join. Trice will be mostly lurking, so don't let me hold you back if you'd like to post rather than wait on me!)

Cockatrice’s post-war motives are not ones of idle peace. Even after the medics had treated him – and that loud one had advised he stay away from active duty, as though he knew anything else – he had returned quickly to the borderline, and a lesser man may have felt arrogant validation at the war’s outbreak and his country’s lack of preparedness. There had been a justifiable method for his madness, for the dogged determination that saw him haunting Inaria’s forests and interrogating its recruits; there were ghosts that had come to life to destroy them, and he – of anyone – had been quietly ready.

But the guard’s personality is not one of anxious paranoia, nor self-serving gloating; he had simply returned the borders with as much quiet dedication as ever, his nose to the ground and his tail waving high. Haven has been more distant, and he likes to think he understands, resolutely filling his idle time with any small task or job he could see fit to occupy him. There are new scents around – Khotto and the others, new arrivals, and the Marchioness most familiar among them – but it’s this latter smell that catches his interest, hoping to find a spare moment with the red female to catch up on the post-war agenda –

And then she howls.

His pace quickens, his stride sure. Trice can smell the animalistic strangeness of Moons’ companion, now, the scent one he recognizes, and though she had not sounded in urgent danger he still appears soon after by his side – assessing her all at once in a cursory glance before turning his hawkpoint stare upon the bear. While the guard is clearly on edge, his hackles do not rise, and his lips do not pull from his teeth. Her companion knows where she is, he almost echoes, but the Marchioness’ calm demeanor gives him a stable point of reference.

”Bear,” Trice begins, offering Moons a sidelong glance before following her cue. ”…Moonachie.” He could learn. The guard tucks his haunches beneath him, as though a more restful pose might impart some of the trust he is extending towards the bear – and her rolling, bumbling kin. It speaks volumes as to his trust in Moons’ judgment and respect for her abilities, and though he is certainly ill at ease, he has none of the hair-trigger impulses Moonachie had seen at their first meeting.

He would let Moons take point, he would wait for the King or Queen to arrive, and he would wait patiently – pointedly – until they saw fit to dismiss him.

Did you get used to it,
     or are you still up with the demons all night?
Did you get used to it,
     or do you still feel like the world is unkind?

[ #639068 ] | played by Sunblink.
         » tracker

Offline Pawprint/Adolph

• Master
  • 10% Sweet Tea
    • DA Website
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 02:09:26 AM »
(Still continuing this!)

Moonachie wished she took more care in her request to Moons, yet the wolf answered with the same warm tone she always had.  Her howl fascinated her cubs, each one coming from their mother to get a closer look.  The word of Alphas concerned the bear, but she remembered wolf hierarchy and that those in charge made the call.  Alphas...not a term she was privy to...

"Whether I need rest or not, I have my duties to fulfill."

The bear frowned at this response.  It was, uncharacteristically, blunt like her own speech.  The answer to what she thought was a sincere question seemed thrown back at her.  Before she could pursue more out of Moons, two things happened.  First Moons changed the subject.  Now Moonachie was in an awkward position.  Her criteria for naming cubs was unusual to say the least and explaining it to the maroon wolf would be difficult.

And someone big came.

Moonachie swallowed.  The wolf was tense.  She pushed her cubs behind her and raised her stature.  Clearly he hadn't changed.

”Bear…Moonachie.”
Well, that was different.

Then he sat.  Sat.  Still tense though.  The bear knew she should follow suit, yet he was still a threat.  He saw her as a threat too.  But she had to wonder why he was so guarded.  She helped Rhys.  She did nothing to Moons.  Moons howled for her Al-phas.  The way he stood by her side each time meant he was not the wolf in charge.  He was always there.  She wondered.

She supposed she would let her own protect her and her family too.

Moonachie eyed Moons with a secret look best described as tenderness.  She hoped the message wasn't lost between species.  "My cubs have no names."  She remained cautious yet steady as she spoke to them.  One cub watched the scene unfold with curiosity.  He tried moving closer, but mamma bear held him down with her paw, causing him to grunt.  "I wait until they, hrmmm, make a name for themselves.  It is hard to explain.  Right now they know my voice if they go too far.  If they do not listen, I call them Child and Cub."

She could do small talk.  If she was staying on wolf territory, she would have to learn.

She could learn too.

Characters

New Profiles Needed
"You" ...she has no name

Offline Moons

• Kichigai's wierdo <3
  • Guardian
  • Hero
  • Captain Inaria~
    • My status
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2016, 08:22:11 PM »
Whether or not the response she gave Moonachie was enough, it was the response Moons would give to those who asked. Perhaps it was just a little defensive. But she couldn't help that -- she was one who doggedly pursued her tasks to the end, even if it meant ignoring the sleep she likely very much needed. Considering she constantly had nightmares plaguing her sleep, it was no surprise then that the maroon female was diving into her work most of the time. It was a reflection of Cockatrice's way of constantly patrolling the border, though Moons felt her reasoning was more out of sanity than anything else.

Oh, speak of the devil.

Cockatrice came, all calm and urgent at the same time. Lately he had been a constant in her life when it came to the recent events; and frankly, Moons was happy for it. What was before a simple work relationship was turning more into a friendship that she appreciated from the normally quiet male. Thought right now the tension between him and the bear was palpable. Amber eyes flickered between the two as the bear also tasted the same tension and reacted accordingly. "Bear... Moonachie." If Moons made eye contact with her fellow soldier, she would smile in appreciation. A silent thank you, because she knew he was trying.

The bear hadn't sat though. Hopefully that would change. But it made Moons wonder; if Cockatrice reacted like this, what would the others of Inaria think of the newcomers if they were let in? There was no sign of Haven or Ghost yet, so the maroon female had no answer yet for any of it. Lifting her gaze, she made eye contact with the bear, and saw a soft gaze being directed at her. It made Moons give Moonachie a small smile in reaction, glad that at least with her, the bear was calm. "My cubs have no names." This made the wolf tilt her head in curiosity. No names? "I wait until they, hrmmm, make a name for themselves. It is hard to explain. Right now they know my voice if they go too far. If they do no listen, I call them Child and Cub." What an interesting concept.

Moons mulled on this information, taking it in silently. "That's very interesting," she said sincerely, lowering her gaze to look at the cubs. One seemed to be very curious to explore the surrounding. And while they waited on a leader... she had an idea. "Moonachie," she began, calling mama bear's attention as she mulled over her idea. Moons glanced briefly at Cockatrice, hoping he was up to this idea as well. And honestly, maybe it would help to have him there. "How would you feel about letting the cubs come over to sniff us? They should get to know wolves, after all, and it would be a good start with it being just the two of us." A gesture at herself and Cockatrice, and Moons glanced at him again to see his reaction.

Hopefully Moonachie would understand what she was trying to do. Break the ice, begin to break down the barrier between the two different species and maybe... begin to form a better bond.
Link to bin~

Offline Cockatrice

• knight errant.
  • Inaria
  • Apprentice
  • holding back, slipping down
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2016, 03:25:48 PM »
The relationship Cockatrice had with the Marchioness was one built on a great respect, something he stalwartly believed must be earned and not simply given. Her calm and poise were infectious; her patience was wise. He was a great warrior, but he was no great leader, and it was this quality that he suspected had assisted Moons most of all in her rise through Inaria’s ranks. Whatever the reason, her demeanor and insight had certainly won the old guard over, enough so that he had no trouble looking to her in times where he felt more inclined to bite first, and ask questions later.

He was trying. The war had not made it easy, but Inaria expected something more of him, and so he was trying. He sat beside his friend quietly, though the wolf recognized the way their new bear companion did not quite settle once he arrived, and let her take point in their pleasantries as they waited for the King or Queen. Trice’s eyes were drawn to the bumbling antics of the bear-children, but the look he offered them harbored no ill-will. What would he do if his children – should he have had them – had required the same sort of protection? What bargains wouldn’t he make?

Cockatrice had never been very good at that certain brand of empathy. It required an imagination that he so often lacked, too stuck in his rut of pragmatism. Here, though – for Moons, for Haven – he huffed a quite breath, and gave the Marchioness’ direction a shot.

“My people… had a tradition like that,” he explained, his voice low and gentle despite its gravel. Fringe dires. He wondered, briefly, how the Oasis was. “We name our pups, but they earn another name by their own deeds.” He hadn’t thought of that discarded tradition in ages. Inaria seemed to have forgotten that custom, but some old relics like himself still clung to their two-part names. “There are some, like me, who pick one over the other.”

There, that would do. Enough talk to extend his olive branch, and no more; it gave Trice some small reassurance to find a piece of common ground with the bear, but talking was not his strong suit. Instead he sat back, tail waving gently in peace and good humor, and would even allow the children to approach if they wished – he might sit stiffly, and he might not be either doting nor affectionate, but it was certainly a start.

Did you get used to it,
     or are you still up with the demons all night?
Did you get used to it,
     or do you still feel like the world is unkind?

[ #639068 ] | played by Sunblink.
         » tracker

Offline Pawprint/Adolph

• Master
  • 10% Sweet Tea
    • DA Website
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2016, 10:44:22 AM »
(I know it's been forever, but would you guys like to finish this?)

Characters

New Profiles Needed
"You" ...she has no name

Offline Moons

• Kichigai's wierdo <3
  • Guardian
  • Hero
  • Captain Inaria~
    • My status
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2016, 07:22:05 AM »
((I'm down for that~))
Link to bin~

Offline Pawprint/Adolph

• Master
  • 10% Sweet Tea
    • DA Website
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2017, 05:39:57 PM »
“My people… had a tradition like that,”

Moonachie was surprised at the comment.  She had known of the large wolves having unusual names and now there was history behind it.  She lowered her head and smiled in appreciation.  She lifted her paw off the cub, and the little one scrambled around in Cockatrice's direction.  He fell over in a tizzy and squeaked.

"Moonachie."  She briefly eyed the maroon wolf.  The urge to grab her cub came up as she tried dividing her attention.  "How would you feel about letting the cubs come over to sniff us? They should get to know wolves, after all, and it would be a good start with it being just the two of us."

Moonachie blinked, and her mouth opened and closed a couple times at Moon's suggestion.  Sniff the wolves?  Well then...a good idea?

Deep breath...*sigh*

The older bear stepped forward.  Her cubs watched curiously...but then they followed her lead and walked closer to the two wolves.  She pushed them toward Moons first, but the girl eyed the huge male closely.  Moonachie sniffed Moons from a few inches away and Cockatrice from a few inches more away.

Of course, as cubs are, they have no finesse.  They sniffed both wolves, but they climbed over their feet.  They pushed their paws against their legs to shake them.  One of them tried to hug Cockatrice.  Moonachie froze.

She knew he wouldn't hurt the cub.  Her mind screamed it.  Yet her body wanted to knock him out the way to get her child back.

Characters

New Profiles Needed
"You" ...she has no name