Author Topic: Song of the Silent Land [PRP Artemisia]  (Read 303 times)

Offline Anika

• For we are warriors and warriors are not afraid to die
  • Nardir
  • Initiate
  • I stand for all of us.
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 4
Song of the Silent Land [PRP Artemisia]
« on: March 25, 2016, 11:54:29 PM »
Anika was covered from head to toe in blood.

A good percentage of it was not hers.

The accumulated waste sticking to her coat might as well have acted like a jacket lined with lead and with its pockets filled with stones, its weight evident from the somber way Anika carried herself. The malinois was uncharacteristically downtrodden. A more alert part of her subconscious, perhaps what constituted her basest animal survival instinct, reminded her that she looked like an easy target. Anika didn't immediately concern herself with that. No matter how inopportune her timing was, she wanted at least a minute to not care about the war. She was too tired to think. Too tired to fight. This was what sheer lethargy, the kind of tiredness that started from the soul and crippled the rest of the body, felt like. Prior to this moment, Anika had never before experienced it.

The march to the creek proceeded in slow motion. Anika slogged through underbrush that nipped and tore at her heels, shrugging off the prickly barbs that they left behind as parting gifts. Just more weight to carry. You couldn't travel far in Inaria without being reminded of the war. The air was thick with the smell of blood and violence; brutal war songs on the breeze. If Anika were to find a rare sanctuary in Inaria that was left untouched by the conflict, it was only a matter of minutes before it, too, became yet another part of the battlefield.

Time was of the essence, so Anika, again in that impersonal, resigned way, decided to make this quick. She splashed her paws through the waters, diluting the thick, coagulated layers of blood. Vaporous trails of copper were carried away over the flow, and then vanished in the haze of white foam. Copper, not brilliant red. That was good. Anika allowed the perpetual motion of the water to strip her of all that she had brought with her from the battle. If she stared long enough, intently enough, into the surface of the stream, she could almost decipher a pattern from the undulations. This was never the sort of mundane nonsense she cared to notice before. After she was satisfied that her paws were clean, Anika next submerged her hind legs, reaching up with a forepaw to splash some water over her shoulder. It gushed in beads down her back and sliced through the patches of coagulated blood like a knife through jelly, and thus similarly reduced the gelatinous film to nothing but rivulets. The sopping wet clumps of fur on her back served as the precipices from which those rust-colored beads dangled, plummeting into the river and dissipating, leaving behind no wisp of color to prove that they ever existed.

Anika had thrown some water on her face and was blinking through the droplets when she was alerted by a sound. She could not pinpoint the origin of the sound, nor could she truly identify what kind of sound it was. It was, however, enough to pull her back to the present. Anika leaped from the creek and shook herself dry. She was still dirty in places, and where she had scrubbed away some of the blood, it had exposed the injuries left untreated. Tooth marks and claw marks around the scruff of her neck, where someone had hindlegs, mostly superficial. The bruises that flared around those marks were more troublesome, radiating unsuccessfully attempted to grab her and she cut herself while wriggling away; nicks to her forelegs and with pain whenever she landed a certain way or as she was winding down from a full sprint. They ached with a vengeance every time she grew too reckless, but more fortunately, that never seemed to inhibit her while she was in the heat of the moment, now that she was on the road to recovery.

If whoever was watching her didn't show themselves immediately, Anika would take the initiative. Her muzzle wrinkled in a defensive, territorial snarl, ears folding back against the slope of her cranium, lending a streamlined shape to her head. She scoured the trees for any sign of movement, pivoting quickly on her ankles. "If you're an Inarian or Nardiri, step out slowly. If you're a Saboran..." she trailed off purposefully, issuing her next words in a growl, "Turn around and walk away."

As if to punctuate her point, she released a bark that echoed through the clearing. Incoherent, with no encoded message -- just a blast of noise, an air siren blaring TURN BACK. Different battle cry than most wolves were used to, but it wasn't the type of warning that someone wanted to underestimate.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 03:18:30 PM by Sunblink »

We'll keep fighting 'til the end
For a time that we've been taught to keep.

[ #E1A95F ] | played by Sunblink.
   » tracker

[1/30/2015 10:42:39 PM] Nugget Emily: "they say there's a ghost in the mountains who criticizes your sexual standards"

Offline Artemisia

• Saboro
  • Apprentice
  • Hawkeye
  • Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Song of the Silent Land [PRP Artemisia]
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 10:45:43 AM »
The battlefield had been her playground for some time now, venting her rage however she wanted against the Inarians. She was bloody, most not her own but a few bites riddled along her body as she had battled a few, even her own people as she tore the head of a traitor who used the war as an excuse to try to escape. The arc of her story had finally played out and Artemisia redeemed herself to her Queen and the Prince who had witnessed the event. Now, she was off on her own, searching through the territory for another fight.

The ex-princess's mouth felt dry despite the blood around her muzzle. She needed water, but knew better than to seek it within territory lines as the jackdaws had sabotaged the clear river into a rotten and putrid bile where bodies were dumped in and left to decay. Poisoning the water supply had been smart, and Saboro's own supply was past the infirmary, but Artemisia did not wish to travel that far just yet. She would round her way there, still searching for idiot Inarians or Nardirians that came to aid.

Eyes peered through some bushes near the river, glancing around to see if anyone was present. One figure had and she tilted her head. The dog was alone, trying to get some water to satisfy her thirst, but she heard a branch snap when Artemisia tried to step forward some. They demanded that if they were an ally, to come out slowly. Artemisia was definitely Saboran due to the scars under her eyes. Anyone who knew about their red tattoos could guess that hers was scraped away. Thinking fast, she smudged blood across her eyes, the scars blending it to look like fresh cuts and she even closed one of her lids to make it look like she was indeed injured from under her eyes. "Don't attack..." she said, her voice sweet and soft as she slowly stepped out. Brows furrowed as she looked at the Nardiri dog. She even flinched a little when the bark echoed.

The red wolf would slowly approach. "I-I'm Inarian.. Please, I'm hurt." She limped a little as she exposed herself fully. "I just... Want a drink is all."

Pull my heart out of my chest
Train my mind so I forget
Sink your teeth into my bones
Dig me out then fill the hole

Tear me apart
Tear me apart and watch it burn...

All that's left is a window to my soul
Falling faster you made my heart your home

⇢  Played by Gothy
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

Offline Anika

• For we are warriors and warriors are not afraid to die
  • Nardir
  • Initiate
  • I stand for all of us.
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: Song of the Silent Land [PRP Artemisia]
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 01:12:01 AM »
The branches rustled again as whoever was lurking in the forest prepared to reveal themselves, and Anika braced herself for whatever would happen. Fortunately, the female that stepped outside the foliage showed no signs of aggression, and the voice she used was meek and demure. Anika did not recognize Artemisia, which was not particularly worrisome. Inaria's soldiers were numerous, and she could not account for every man. As for Artemisia's ploy, the camouflage that she used to disguise the marks of her allegiance worked flawlessly.

Anika had no reason to distrust someone who was indistinguishable from any Inarian, mistaking the splashes of blood smeared over Artemisia's eyes as the haphazard work of some unknown combatant's fangs. But still, in spite of the effectiveness of Artemisia's charade, Anika would remain cautious. It would be foolish to lower her guard, and yet her conscience could not endure the blow it would receive if she refused Artemisia's request outright. She wasn't a bully who postured over resources.

Although the noise that Anika made was vaguely affirmative, her demeanor did not ease in the slightest. "Alright," she said, voice level. She tilted her head toward the opposite side of the river, and turned on her heels so she could monitor every step that the woman took. "But keep your distance."

She had the trajectory from riverbank to riverbank carefully plotted, and if Artemisia deviated but a step, that miscalculated would provide all the justification she needed to defend herself. Or, perhaps her apprehension would stay her hand. Nothing plucked at the heartstrings quite like a traumatized straggler pleading for sanctuary, and although Anika thought of herself as jaded, she could never turn away a stranger in need.

Anika added, in case her previous encouragement did not suffice, "Go on."

We'll keep fighting 'til the end
For a time that we've been taught to keep.

[ #E1A95F ] | played by Sunblink.
   » tracker

[1/30/2015 10:42:39 PM] Nugget Emily: "they say there's a ghost in the mountains who criticizes your sexual standards"