Author Topic: The trees were swaying in the wind ((See inside))  (Read 844 times)

Offline Naviti

• Saboro
  • Regular
  • Secret Keeper.
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 1
The trees were swaying in the wind ((See inside))
« on: March 20, 2016, 08:08:56 PM »
((Semi-Prp; Saboroians. Please PM main account to request to join.
Approved for entry: Setebos, Sage, Nero.
LOOTING THREAD.))

What a day. What a wonderful, bright and shiny day on enemy territory. They'd broken through the barrier with force and Navi had wandered in sneakily behind the aggression, mostly avoiding confrontation so far. It was the Princess' first time outside her home pack lands and her heart felt as if it could soar on the Inarian winds. The knowledge that these were their enemies didn't halt wispy female from admiring the lands, they were so different from Saboro.

Curly figure with dashes of bright gold streaked through the valley, feet carrying over well worn trails and under the beautiful purple treetops. So far the only thing aggressive Navi had to her name was the large pouches stolen from a wounded Inarian, which would soon be filled with any treasures she might find.

Rounding a few corners of thick tree groupings she saw her ultimate prize. Intense blue eyes grew wide with admiration of it, so small yet it had such strength. It would surely make the most wonderful gift for her Mother and Saboro. If no one approached the girl would bounce toward the sapling with purple leaves, digging around it's base carefully as to not tear the thick roots. By the time she finished her work the young tree was tucked into the right side of the pouch, fertile soil packed around to protect those roots and keep it upright.

"Whose there?" Head snapped upward, a protective stance overcoming her now. This was her tree now, the items looted in her pouch were hers. Ever so alone she felt a little vulnerable and perhaps a little bit scared of what could happen. Saboro's Princess would only hope that it was one of her own, coming to join her down to the beaches to steal whatever they could.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 08:23:20 PM by Kay »

A gentle hurricane.
Profile| Tracker

Offline Sage

• Westwind
  • Inaria
  • Apprentice
  • Liked: 27
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: The trees were swaying in the wind ((See inside))
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 08:34:59 PM »
[I have permission to be here! <3 Any Saborans that want to heckle her totally can, but she's not out for blood here.]

Banged up and with poultice pastes on various, more severe wounds, Sage had dragged herself back out onto the field of battle. She was already weary of war, and yet, the Royal Guard would not be persuaded to sit out when her injuries were something treatable. Her rear leg ached ferociously, and though there was weakness and pain in the muscle, no tendons had been severed and the bleeding had slowed to the barest trickle down her leg. Part of her dreaded the sights she'd see as she left the healers camp and wound through the forests that had once seemed so innocent, and yet what she eventually limped her way to find was something simply unfathomable.

There was a girl, a stranger, a Saboran, digging up a tree. But it wasn't just any tree, it was a pretty little sapling of the purple variety, and Sage just drifted quietly forward, her jaw gaping as she blinked fiery eyes. This wasn't real. It couldn't be, right? Sage just knew she was still at the infirmary, being treated for what had to be a fever resulting from infection in her injuries, because there was. NO. WAY. she was seeing this happening. This was all a fever dream, and the girl couldn't stop herself from edging forward, her foot stepping on a wayward twig, which snapped impossibly loudly in the stunned silence.

"Who's there?"

Sage emerged, her eyes wide as this pretty girl took a defensive posture, and she couldn't bring herself to do the same.

"Are you serious? Are you guys so dumb you have to wage war foR A TREE!?" Her voice went from a hushed tone to shouting all in one sentence, though her posture still wasn't threatening. "YOU COULD HAVE ASKED! You could have asked...No one could have died. NO ONE HAD TO GET HURT. THIS WHOLE WAR IS STUPID!!"

The last sentence was shrieked loudly, and surely would bring someone else, enemy or ally, to the area. Sage took a deep, panting breath, and hung her head, looking at the girl by the sapling, and just shook her head, gaze holding sadness there as she tried to meet Naviti's eyes. So many fallen Inarians, and Saboro had to take a damn tree. Sage couldn't even bring herself to do anything but look upon the enemy with vast disappointment.

A. Damn. Tree.

(She is the one), but I have a purpose,
(She is the one), and I have to fight this,
(She is the one), the villain I can't knock down.

I see your face with every punch I take,
And every bone I break, it's all for you.
And my worst pains are words I cannot say,
Still I will always fight on for you.

#659D32
- Played by Red Team -

Offline ℕᴇʀᴏ

• the ROMAN
  • Saboro
  • Regular
  • the RED RAVEN
  • Liked: 244
  • Likes Given: 295
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 09:39:30 PM »
Nero had been focused on the battle, reveling in the physical demand of brutal skirmishes, spilt blood and rush of adrenaline. It was wholly his element - the chaos and the shouting. He had been born into it, raised in it. He had thrived in it and he would continue to do so. War was mythic, and for a man who considered himself Theseus or Achilles, the dramatic viciousness and glorified stories suited him just fine. Better than fine, even. It thrilled him.

But there was more to war than battle, and there were not just soldiers on these grounds. Nero did not particularly care about the will of Saboro, it's goals or even why it had decided to go to war. The pack as a whole was still largely alien to him, even as he attempted to prove himself to it with his hot blood and ivory teeth. In spite of that, though, there were individuals he ... cared about. He would care if certain people should come to hard, or find themselves dead. He hoped that they were safe, that the pack would keep them safe even in this vicious fight. So, in turn, he would not be opposed to protecting. If it was necessary.

Looking up, the massive male's bright eyes settled upon the sneaking frame of a Saboran. He didn't know her, but she was familiar in a very vague way. He could barely recognize features that connected her to her bloodline - royalty that Nero barely knew or understood. He had no connection to her. No real motive to look after her. But she was alone, and vulnerable. (He would protect.)

She was oddly digging at a sapling, he could see from a distance, removing it from the ground and placing it in her pack. A curious endeavor, but not fruitless. Plants had their purpose and their value, especially if they were of a variation that couldn't be found in the swamps and volcanic soil of Saboro. So perhaps her work was not so odd after all. Nero moved to close the distance, but he was not the first to approach the princess. An Inarian arrived, wounded, but still potentially dangerous. She began to yell at at Naviti, lamenting the war and her frustration. Nero had little sympathy, and little patience.

She could be disappointed all she wanted. War didn't need a purpose. Just as Naviti didn't need a purpose to take what she could take. That was strength, brutal and primal. It had it's own worth.

Ignoring the blood dripping from the weeping wounds along his flanks - relatively shallow, but completely obvious - Nero stalked forward. His head lingered low, like a great cat. His dark lips parted as he chuffed like a lion before he broke into a short sprint, his heavy mass making him thunder across the terrain. He would move to rush between Sage and Naviti, lifting his upper body up just a bit so he could slam his front paws into the ground and roar. A threat display, meant to intimidate. He would not, attack, though. It was not his purpose, or his intent.

He bared his teeth, his tail high over the slope of his hips, and backed up a few paces so he could shield the princess with his thick frame.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 09:40:21 PM by ???? »

████████████████████████

As the Bacchae knew,
we always tear our Gods to bits
AND EAT THE BITS WE LIKE.

#d39234

{ the Machiavellian }
— played by Kujo

Offline Setebos

• The flowers of naivete
  • Inaria
  • Apprentice
  • buried in a layer of frost.
  • Liked: 41
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 12:20:19 AM »
Setebos had been hobbling along his usual route between harvests, tired and disoriented, when the relative silence that he had been enjoying was disrupted by yelling in the distance. Yelling over a tree. He almost disregarded it as a figment of his imagination, but the racket was more persistent than any ordinary hallucination, and as one of those voices attained clarity, he realized that it sounded... familiar. That realization was the impetus that spurred him along to the origin point, which was simple enough. All he had to do was follow the noise.

A grove populated with flowering Jacarandas served as the battleground. Against the cloying shades of lavender, Sage's earthen tones were almost obscene. Other than her, there were two Saborans. One was tucking an uprooted sapling into the pouch that she wore on her flank, which, based on Sage's frustrated shrieking, was the source of this pandemonium. The other was bigger, stronger, and more menacing, his shadow falling over Sage like an eclipse. Seeing him tower above Sage immediately made Setebos cautious and, perhaps out of a paternal sense of obligation, more than a little protective. Sage was... excitable, animated, but when she was provoked, she had quite a mouth on her. If he was around to witness the moment Blackmoore had insulted her father, Setebos would have been absolutely floored by the amount of venom capable of dripping from her tongue. He knew that she was capable of defending herself, but now, through his status as a bystander, he had now become involved.

The big fringe dire roared in Sage's face, which immediately pissed Setebos off, because even though he wasn't standing as close to him as Sage was, the sound was much louder than a sleep-deprived, irascible, overworked, overtired curmudgeon was willing to tolerate. To Setebos's tired ears, the noise might as well have been amplified by a thousand. That spark of irritation quickly ballooned into something deadlier, nigh uncontrollable, and decidedly childish, and it compounded with each purposeful, weighted step that carried the doctor toward the altercation. He lunged into the heart of the confrontation, interposing himself between Sage and Nero before the exclamation mark could materialize at the end of Nero's roar. You want to be loud, effhead? You like picking on girls? He could be loud too. He could wake up the whole damn pack if he wanted to.

"RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH," he mock-roared right back in Nero's face, his pitch fluctuating so wildly between monotone and a derisive, exaggerated whine that it was obvious his intention was nothing other than ridicule. It was an ugly, sloppy money shot blasted all over Nero's dumbeff face, a sticky note pinned to his chest reading: "Thanks, bitch." If there was sufficient pause between them, Setebos would end his display with a bellowed, "SHUT UP!"

Setebos clacked his teeth, surreptitiously wiping away the drool that was hanging conspicuously from the edge of his lip. Other than that, his body language never shifted from fury to outright hostility. He wasn't (physically, anyway) attacking Nero. He wasn't lashing out with snapping teeth, nor was he striking for blood. He was swearing up and down like an angry neighbor with too many damn kids on his lawn. Setebos narrowed his eyes and scrunched up his face in disgust, jabbing the blunt end of his muzzle in the air before Nero's snout. "The hell do you think you are?" he shouted. "SIDDOWN, tough guy!" And like Nero wasn't worthy of further consideration, and unless Nero moved to stop him, he'd change his focus to the lavender princess, the hapless lynchpin responsible for provoking this confrontation.

"And you!" he barked, and with utter seriousness, uttered his next words through a slow, deliberate growl: "Drop. The tree."

This old warship has wounds
And it won't sail for nothin'
The old sailor said to me
And I was foolish not to listen
And paid such close conscription
All the lies I believed

"But if you lend me some more labor
And put your name on paper
We just might catch a breeze"
I know now he was not a captain
Now because of all my actions
I grow alone with the sea

[ #E42217 ] | played by Sunblink
   » tracker

Offline Naviti

• Saboro
  • Regular
  • Secret Keeper.
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 08:33:08 PM »
With her precious treasure tucked so securely and safely close to her side, her head jolted upward to see the bright Green female standing a few feet away. Navi had called out but not fully expected anyone to really be there, yet there she was in all her green glory. It reminded her of Atlas only... much brighter and less bluy. The girl's expression was that of horror and her voice was "Are you serious? Are you guys so dumb you have to wage war foR A TREE!?

Navi would almost snort but a smile of disbelief appeared instead, keeping a wide distance from this stranger and trying to ignore the nervous anxiety that began to thump in her chest. "Yes. We did this for just one tree, maybe you ought to ask your leaders what started this war." A voice that sounded too similar to Sol Katti's slipped forward, tone defensive and voice even. Coating manipulative words and planting seeds of doubt to take back to their leaders. "YOU COULD HAVE ASKED! You could have asked...No one could have died. NO ONE HAD TO GET HURT. THIS WHOLE WAR IS STUPID!!" Intense blue eyes were wide circles at Sage screamed, clearly in pain and clearly very upset by this war.

A pang of guilt struck her chest, before frustration replaced it. They'd lost warriors too! They'd lost Mothers and Fathers! Navi's expression became a frown, only too pleased to see Nero arrive as he did, stepping beside him slightly to peer around him as he took a protective stance. Eyes glimmering over him for a few moments, watching him roar.

"RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH, SHUT UP! The hell do you think you are? SIDDOWN, tough guy! And you! Drop. The tree."

Eyes glazed over as the confrontation began to escalate, suddenly Navi felt very very warm. Heart thudding harder in her chest, she'd count the beats. Stomach was spinning, and as this new male addressed her an aggressive expression would flash into her face. Lips peeled back into a snarl, tongue lapping back any salvia that may attempt to escape.

"NO!"
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 07:32:36 AM by Kay »

A gentle hurricane.
Profile| Tracker

Offline Sage

• Westwind
  • Inaria
  • Apprentice
  • Liked: 27
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 10:54:43 PM »
"Yes. We did this for just one tree, maybe you ought to ask your leaders what started this war."

Sage went from disappointed to unimpressed and disbelieving all at once. Ask Inaria's leaders who started a war that involved a whole other pack marching onto their lands?? Just who was invading who here? It wasn't Inaria, that was for sure. Suddenly, The girl bristled, her fiery eyes suddenly flashing with unbridled anger and tail raising to a more dominant position. Something deep in her chest went rampant, and for a moment, her breathing quickened.

When she spoke, it was in a low, venomous tone that she'd only ever used once before. Perhaps if Naviti had been a little less defensive, had simply spoken of the beauty of the tree, shrugged and suggested it was just a trophy, something, anything besides trying to slander the name of her King and Queen, Sage might have shrugged and let it all go. A tree was a tree was a tree, and she would have convinced herself that a Saboran clinging to a tree was one less Saboran hurting Inarians. But suggesting that her leaders, her FRIEND and her heroes, had started this mess...It was unthinkable, and perhaps the only thing that could make the green wolf into a war machine.

Naviti had no idea the wrath which she had wrought in one simple statement.

"Who is on whose land here, thief?!" she spat out, not bothering to shield the saliva that spat from frothy, snarling lips. Sage took one step forward with vicious wrath, and suddenly there was a giant form between her and the tree-stealer, roaring in her face and not doing anything to lessen her building fury. The next to insert themselves between them brought some clarity to her slowly fogging mind.

Setebos.

"RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH, SHUT UP! The hell do you think you are? SIDDOWN, tough guy! And you! Drop. The tree."

For a brief moment, those hackles started to settle, despite the roaring the two were doing at each other, but Naviti screamed a vehement refusal, and suddenly her vision darkened and tunneled.

"NO!"

Suddenly, Sage was all motion, every bit of training from since she was able to walk coming into play with a fluidity that belied her injuries, trying to snake suddenly around to the left, her teeth bared and reaching to snatch at the sapling that Naviti held close. Killing a plant of any kind for no reason was normally unthinkable, but Sage would snap the tiny thing in half and rip every leaf to shreds before allowing the girl from Saboro a chance to take the purple sapling with her. And if the girl tried to keep the tree from her, if she got around Nero in the first place, she'd seek to draw blood in any way possible from the Saboran thief.

Or from her bodyguard if he decided to face the Guard's wrath head on.

(She is the one), but I have a purpose,
(She is the one), and I have to fight this,
(She is the one), the villain I can't knock down.

I see your face with every punch I take,
And every bone I break, it's all for you.
And my worst pains are words I cannot say,
Still I will always fight on for you.

#659D32
- Played by Red Team -

Offline ℕᴇʀᴏ

• the ROMAN
  • Saboro
  • Regular
  • the RED RAVEN
  • Liked: 244
  • Likes Given: 295
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2016, 12:32:32 AM »
Nero cared nothing at all for the concerns and hurts of Inarians. He did not even particularly care why they were even at war. The motive to do violence such as this - the grand scale that swelled about them with chaotic intensity - was hardly more important than the violence itself. His enemy was faceless and he would beat it to a bloodied pulp if he had to. Why? Perhaps because he sought acclaim and acceptance. Perhaps, merely, because it was fun.

Naviti could have her wants. The sapling was inconsequential, but she could steal it because Nero would enable her. Because it was an absurd display of power and Nero enjoyed such things. Let it enrage their counterparts, let it dig at them. Let them know they could not protect even the most useless of their subjects: the very plants beneath them. Nero stood before Naviti like a great bear, full up with his confidence and his malicious intent. He roared because words were unnecessary. Sage would not stop Naviti. Nero would not permit it. Why? Because it was fun.

Another Inarian approached him, just as perturbed as his packmate. The man shouted in a mockery of the Saboran, a petulant show of distaste that was actually... rather amusing. Had this been any other setting, Nero might have laughed. But this was war and he offered just a cutting smile, a flash of his ivory teeth. He cared nothing at all for his words, or his commands, watching with nonchalant eyes. Setebos would seek to refocus on Naviti, but Nero would step in front of him, filling up his vision with his large frame. He would click his tongue against the back of his teeth in a crisp, mocking tsk, tsk, tsk.

Both Inarians were closing in and Nero drew long steps backward, as Naviti shouted her defiance, keeping his focus on protecting the princess. He expected the retaliation and, when Sage moved forward, Nero would not allow her to come close to Naviti. His massive body would aim to block her off, trying to slam his full weight into Sage's front with the broad surface of his chest and right shoulder, attempting to shock her with the impact and throw her off balance. She was taller than him, but he was much heavier, and he angled his body so he would hit her lower than her center of mass if he could. He kept his head low to protect his neck, careful of his footing to maintain his balance. If he missed or not, Nero would back up again, returning to guard Naviti with his large body. He was not here to start fights, merely assure that the princess got the object of her desire. He hoped she had the sense to remain behind him.

He looked between Sage and Setebos, baring his teeth and settling his legs, his tail lashing over his hips. "You will leave her be," he declared, "and she will have what she likes." Test her and I will have no qualms in killing you.

████████████████████████

As the Bacchae knew,
we always tear our Gods to bits
AND EAT THE BITS WE LIKE.

#d39234

{ the Machiavellian }
— played by Kujo

Offline Setebos

• The flowers of naivete
  • Inaria
  • Apprentice
  • buried in a layer of frost.
  • Liked: 41
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 11:38:02 PM »
In all honesty, Setebos didn't really care that much about the tree. All that mattered to him was seeing Sage walk out of this encounter uninjured. If he was successful in getting Naviti to relinquish her ill-gotten goods, that was a bonus, but if not, it wasn't like Inaria's Jacarandas were going to go extinct anytime soon. Naviti could plant that stupid effing tree in Saboro's stupid effing rainforest and then that flowering purple monstrosity would look utterly ridiculous next to all of the kapok trees.

Another admission: Setebos didn't think that Nero would be that amused by his display. His response was unexpected. He figured that Nero would be angry, maybe, and that would divert his and his companion's attention toward himself.

Setebos moved to address Naviti. Nero thwarted this by parking his fat ass directly in front of his line of sight. Setebos leaned to the side. Nero mimicked the motion, flashing a condescending grin. Oh, you insufferable twat. If Setebos's goal was to create a distraction, he had failed spectacularly. All he did was elicit further distress from Sage, who was already teetering on the edge of an existential meltdown.

"NO!" came Naviti's measured response from behind Nero's bulk. If Setebos wasn't glaringly aware of the hypocrisy, he would have chastised her for acting like a petulant child. Setebos tried to inch around Nero again, shooting the dire an ugly look.

Sage, however, was closer to Naviti, and was more capable of acting on her emotional impulses. She lunged, teeth streaking for the sapling, and Setebos almost felt his eyes bulge out of his head. Both he and Nero rushed to intercept; Nero aiming to barrel her over with his colossal girth, and Setebos attempting to seize Sage by the ruff. If he managed to reach her first, and if he managed to grab onto her nape, he'd attempt to yank her away and out of the disaster zone.

However, if Nero was successful in knocking her over, Setebos would rush to Sage's aid, planting himself in front of her, and issuing a territorial growl at Nero that was much less ambiguous in intent than his previous outburst. Hopefully, that'd keep her from doing anything reckless.

Regardless of either outcome, he had one pressing question on his mind. "THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?" Setebos snarled, sounding quite like a father scolding his child. "You're gonna get yourself killed over a effing tree?" Trying to get her to think.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 05:04:00 PM by Sunblink »

This old warship has wounds
And it won't sail for nothin'
The old sailor said to me
And I was foolish not to listen
And paid such close conscription
All the lies I believed

"But if you lend me some more labor
And put your name on paper
We just might catch a breeze"
I know now he was not a captain
Now because of all my actions
I grow alone with the sea

[ #E42217 ] | played by Sunblink
   » tracker

Offline ❀Kay

• QUEEN OF NICENESS
  • Guardian
  • Hero
  • Legendary Helper.
  • Liked: 2272
  • Likes Given: 1409
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 08:04:45 AM »
note:
"her for acting like a petulant child"
I read this as
"her for acting like a peanut child"
the first time, I skimmed through. Enjoy that image in your head.

Member Since '05
Always someone to talk to.

| Posse & Tracker |

Offline Sunblink [Summer!]

• Guardian
  • Hero
  • have only one waifu, or it will ruin your laifu
    • My status
    • FurAffinity
  • Liked: 2629
  • Likes Given: 3646
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2016, 09:28:48 PM »
note:
"her for acting like a petulant child"
I read this as
"her for acting like a peanut child"
the first time, I skimmed through. Enjoy that image in your head.

artist's interpretation, by sea bee toss, age 5

Offline ❀Kay

• QUEEN OF NICENESS
  • Guardian
  • Hero
  • Legendary Helper.
  • Liked: 2272
  • Likes Given: 1409
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2016, 11:03:37 PM »
This brings me great, GREAT, joy.

Member Since '05
Always someone to talk to.

| Posse & Tracker |

Offline Sunblink [Summer!]

• Guardian
  • Hero
  • have only one waifu, or it will ruin your laifu
    • My status
    • FurAffinity
  • Liked: 2629
  • Likes Given: 3646
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2017, 11:11:32 AM »
I still really want to finish this, you guys. It's literally one of my favorite threads on the forum.