Author Topic: Object Permanence [PRP l Serrate]  (Read 854 times)

Offline Jericho[RP]

• Initiate
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
Object Permanence [PRP l Serrate]
« on: July 08, 2015, 05:18:48 PM »
The particular patch of dry land that muddied paws fell on was a very welcome relief from that of the water and muck he'd been traversing through.  It had seemed like days that the rain fell, and even though it was still falling, it was only a drizzle.  Nothing like it had been the past few days, pouring rain and lightning, it was a wonder even that Jericho decided to make his way out into the Reach.  He'd heard rumors, little things here and there that this place was riddled with nomadic packs, and prides, and that it was probably the wettest area of the entire land. 

As far as he could tell, that last rumor could be considered as fact now.  The fact became even more prominent however, when yet another round of pouring rain began, following a nice burst of thunder from overhead. "Well, I s'pose at least the plants are getting watered.."  Jericho sighed, seizing the small break before the downpour to locate some small bit of relief from the storm.  A small tree, with a seemingly large canopy offered what Jericho would consider 'a bit of natural hospitality'. 

Once under the canopy, the large dire shook himself, freeing his fur of whatever excess water he could.  It wasn't much, and there was still some water dripping down form the canopy above but, beggars couldn't be choosers.  He'd take what he could get, and this was better then the abrupt downpour happening not a few feet from his nose. 

Peering out into the wall of rain, Jericho hoped no other poor soul was out in it, that he was the only fool to take such a trek in such poor weather.  Shaking his head at his own foolishness, the large male sighed as he laid himself down on the slightly drier then where he was ground, crossed his paws, and laid his head on them.  Eyes blinked slowly, listening to the rain, watching the wall of water drip down from the tree branches. This place was quite serene for all the other rumors he'd heard, perhaps he could find a place for himself out here.  Somewhere, hopefully a little drier.

Offline Serrate

• Gemini
  • Master
  • On Silver Winged Dreams
  • Liked: 1164
  • Likes Given: 1108
Re: Object Permanence [PRP l Serrate]
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 04:10:49 PM »
The torrential downpour catches her unawares in the swamp that overruns the southern reaches of their territory. Much like in the forest during the autumn squall that brought her long lost brother back to her, she flees the storm. The swamp was hardly safe at a time like this. The swamp was hardly safe at the best of times. Despite her best efforts, the territory was still too unfamiliar for her to know where to seek shelter, and the storm itself quickly causes her to lose her bearings. Someone who grew up in Saboro-- first the marsh, then the steamy jungle-- really should have a better sense of direction during a storm. Yet, inexplicably, something about downpours sent her inner compass spinning.

Perhaps all of that had something to do with her defect.

Unbeknownst to her, she stumbles past the borders she defined, out into the swamp beyond their slice of it. What belongs to whom seems to matter naught at the moment-- it all belongs to the rain, and there's little she can do but try to escape it. She's spent enough time being wet and muddy lately! Does nature allow no reprieve? Yet! There! A sheltering tree to cut through the rain. It would do for now, desperate as she is to find some sort of protection, and she rushes into its sheltering embrace without even noticing that the space was already occupied.

That lasts only a couple of seconds, her body pausing in mid-shake as water clears from her eyes. The shock of him leaves her rigid, spine prickling, inner monologue screaming at her for being so careless again. Backing up stiffly until her rump is fully in the rain again, she mutters, "...Excuse me... sorry." She continues to backpedal, running through her options in her mind. Hopefully this dark stranger wouldn't pursue her-- but who was he? Where was she?

Why wouldn't it stop raining?
#CD5C5C
The Observatory | Profile
Domino motion,
Jump starts when we touch.
A blackout approaching,
Here it comes now, wish me luck.
It's all over, it's all over, it's all over in a flash.
I can't remember what have I done now?

Offline Jericho[RP]

• Initiate
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 12:03:41 AM »
The rain just kept on coming, and didn't seem like it was ever going to let up.  Jericho didn't mind too much, but he would like to get back on his travels to nowhere in particular.  Bending his head, he began to lick his paws, as dirty and muddy as the were, they did ache from traveling.  Perhaps this rain was a welcome relief after all.  Jericho was methodically licking his front paws when another who seemed to have gotten stuck in the rain seemed to find his place of refuge. 

Jericho closed his eyes, and turned his head slightly as the other began to shake.  Droplets of water dispersing everywhere, including the black wolf.  Eyes closed as several drops landed on his face.  Opening an eye to take a peek, he saw the she wolf stop mid shake, and begin to back out of the makeshift shelter.  As much as it would've been great to have a space to himself, he couldn't have her waltz back into the storm. 

"...Excuse me... sorry."

Jericho stop now, slowly, seeing the tension in her muscles, not wanting to make her feel threatened.  He kept his head low, and his voice calm.  "Please, don't go back into the storm.  Wait for it to die off a little at least.  No one deserves to be caught in that."  He backed up, giving her as much room as he could.  Lifting his paw to invite her to remain under what protection there was under the canopy.  "Please miss.  If you want, I'll leave instead."  Who she that he would give up his place for her, he didn't know, but it was the right thing to do, especially with as wary as she seemed to be.  She needed a safe place to stay more then he did.

Plus, she looked as exhausted and worn out as he'd ever seen anyone look. 

Offline Serrate

• Gemini
  • Master
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 10:18:21 PM »
She’s nearly out in the rain again, her ears ringing and her skull thumping with the suspicious absence of headache, meaning one was on its way. The dark male stares at her, and she stares back. He doesn’t respond with outward aggression, but she’s seen too much and traveled too far to fall for such a simple deception. She folds her ears partway back, blinking rain from her eyes, startling a bit when he spoke to her. She remains still thereafter, the rain pelting her and running through her fur in rivulets. She doesn’t move and doesn’t speak until he suggests he leave instead—the suggestion that she steal his shelter disturbs her, even as the storm splatters her indifferently.

Oh, no! I… couldn’t!” she cries over the rain, waffling over her indecision. On the one hand, there was the dark male—she knew nothing about him, so she was understandable uncertain of his intentions. He had, however, given her no reason to distrust him in their interactions thus far, and she was doing him a disservice in profiling him based on her own unpleasant experiences. He also was in possession of the immediately available shelter from the storm. She had no way of knowing if she would find something better, something of her own—and she was lost out here.

Sometimes the devil you knew was better than the devil you didn’t. She had been caught unawares twice already today and was loathe to repeat the performance. Anything could lurk in the rain, and it could sneak up to her with relative ease. With that in mind, she slinks back into the scarce shelter of the tree, neglecting to shake herself now that she knew she was in close quarters with someone else. She allows the rain to remain heavy on her back, dripping maddeningly from every follicle. It would be impolite to shower him, so she bears the weight and the cold, lowering her head but keeping an uneasy eye on him. “…Thank you.
#CD5C5C
Domino motion,
A blackout approaching,

Offline Jericho[RP]

• Initiate
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 03:33:21 PM »
He made sure to keep his distance, not making sudden moves that might upset her further.  It was a small shelter to share between two large wolves, but, it it would keep them out of the unrelenting rain, Jericho would make room.  The only sign of aggression she had shown was out of fear for her own well being, and he very well could not fault her on that.  There were too many variables here, and he understood her hesitation.  Still, he would rather go out in the rain himself then allow her to walk back out into the storm in the condition she looked. 

“Oh, no! I… couldn’t!”

Without wanting to push her, or make it seem that he wanted her under here, he dipped his head, showing no intent to harm, even backing more into the corner the before.  Space is what she wanted, and he would give her as much as he could.  "Please- "  He would insist again.  Jericho wouldn't consider himself a gentleman, but perhaps in this case, he'd take that title.  Keeping his head low, he'd follow her as she slowly made her way back under the shelter of the tree, he made note that she decided not to shake, and he was grateful for that. 

“…Thank you.”

Seeing as she'd not relaxed in the slightest, perhaps it would be p to him to show he meant no harm.  Dropping his ass to the ground first, he'd sit, sliding his front half down to the ground.  An attempt to get as comfortable as he could.  "No need for thanks miss, I don't own the tree- hell, I don't even own the land I'm sitting on. Far as I'm concerned, it's free range."  He'd say leading into a yawn.  He knew there were smaller packs around here, but i this torrential downpour he hadn't actually been expecting to run into the alpha of one such place.  Lifting his eyes to meet her gaze, Jericho sighed, "Guess we just wait it out- ah, where are my manners, name's Jericho."  Hoping to break the uncomfortableness between them, if not, well there were worse things then uncomfortable silences he supposed. 
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 05:39:58 PM by Jericho[RP] »

Offline Jericho[RP]

• Initiate
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 05:40:16 PM »
[OK FINISHED SORRY]

Offline Serrate

• Gemini
  • Master
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 09:29:02 PM »
He settles in, exuding an ease she simply couldn’t feel, not in her current state. She was not at ease at home—could it even be called that?—and she was not at ease out here. So much was in turmoil. Her borders, her relationship with the pack they had so recently fled from, the loyalties of new members. Her relationship with her sister, as always, was in flux. Her uneasiness with this stranger, her brain addled by rain and pumped full of sleepless adrenaline—it was all a reflection of her life as it was. The storm itself, tumultuous and loud, couldn’t have said it better.

She remains standing for a time, drip-dripping and drop-dropping onto ground that could hardly hold a drop more. She watches the dark male until he introduces himself, her muscles nearly vibrating with electric tension. So, she had either left her tentatively held land, or this male—Jericho—had stumbled past their poorly marked border on accident. Either situation seemed equally likely… who could really tell, with all this rain? Her jaws clench for a moment, seizing with another compulsive wave of anxiety. She takes a deep breath and exhales through her nose. “I’m… Serrate.

She owed him that much, didn’t she? She owed him more, but she could barely think on all that as her heavy blanket of water soaked in, chilling her to the bone. The shivers began in her hindquarters, trembling from haunches to her belly, making her feel ill. She averts her eyes from him when her teeth begin to chatter. This was embarrassing. All of it was mortifying. It was a disgrace to have gotten lost, to have been caught unawares, to be soaking wet and vulnerable under the good graces of a stranger—after all she’d BEEN through? How could she have come to this?

I’m sorry,” she mumbles, words fumbled as her jaw betrays her, “This storm is… bad.

In more ways than one!
#CD5C5C
Domino motion,
A blackout approaching,